Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=cindyz]
    Originally posted by nccjones
    Once Mitchell showed up, it realized the village may be threatened which is why the beast came to the village. /QUOTE]

Dude , it was Sheppard!
    LOL...I meant Sheppard, sorry. I've been between boards posting and didn't even realize I did that. Again I'm sorry, oh, and I'm not a dude

BTW...I edited the post.

Comment

[QUOTE=AGateFan]
      Originally posted by cindyz
      Mitchell, Sheppeard.... like theres a difference.

Seriously, I kept trying to type something up about Mitchell the other day and I kept inserting Sheppard... or was that the other way around... i eventually just gave up.
      Thanks! I'm not the only one who does it. I knew who I was talking about, but I was so into a topic about Mitchell on another board that I didn't realize I did it...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
        if that girl had visions on how they learned to assend then she could have just done it with the group a long time before Sheppard even came on the scene.
        Well, considering that she saw John ascending with them, that shows that she could not see exactly what was going to happen. Maybe she knew he would help them, but did not know exactly how. Perhaps she was in denial like the other people. I mean that's all they had to do, but they needed John to show them. Or maybe she did know exactly how it was going to play out, but didn't want to do anything to change the vision.

I personally really liked this ep. There is only 1 real problem I had with it. I understand that for the sake of the ep., the "door" to the other area had to be one way (i.e. once you go in, you can't come out), but this does not seem very "Ancient like" to me. If a person wants to reach the path of enlightenment is it really right to lock them up? What if they do change their mind? They will just die of old age there, never being able to ascend, and never being able to leave that place. I think if John did have to stay there maybe he would have eventually ascended, but I don't think it's right that the person doesn't have the choice to leave. Also, I know that the Ancients were assuming that everyone could read that message, but why have the door pull you in? I mean if you accidentally put 1 finger in there there's no 'Oh shoot, I didn't mean that', it's off you go to seek enlightenment whether you like it or not. I don't know, like I say I know we couldn't even have the ep. without that element, but what with the Ancients being a very "hands off" group, It was hard for me to buy them putting up a place where the choices are basically either ascend or live here for the rest of your life.

Ok, well I didn't mean to type so much about that. It didn't bother me as much as I'm sounding like it did I'm sure.

On the good points, I thought it was really cool how Elizabeth went off world to help find John. She didn't have to do that obviously and it shows just how much she cares about him. I also loved the very end when John says something like I kinda missed you guys and then Ronon is like you were only gone a few hours for us so... and then Teyla saying "Ronon" and both Teyla and Carson saying how they all missed him. Those scenes just make me want to hug the show. I love the loyalty of the characters. If they have those kinds of scenes I can usually look past anything else that might bug me.

As far as the ending goes, I think it was simple because it was supposed to be simple. The people just couldn't see it. They needed someone who thought outside the box, so to speak, to get them to realize that all they needed to do in order to ascend was face their fears. I think the monster came to be because of the special circumstances of so many people being so close to ascension, but having to overcome one obstacle to achieve it. The monster was the manifestation of that obstacle. I also think that the reason the monster didn't hurt anyone else is because they didn't fight it. They just ran away from it. John was probably the first person who ever shot at it. Maybe it was simply relying on some sort of instinct in order to defend itself.
        Last edited by Forestia; 16 January 2006, 06:42 AM.
        Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
        Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Got to say this was a great ep. I mean it wasn't like the best they have done, and it was kinda predictable, but it was still good. I had to tape it friday because I was at a play, and only got around to watching it a while ago.
          Lastest Episode: Alliances, Part One

Comment

Good episode - better than the Hive. There was some minor problems here and there (the destruction of the beast needed to be more dramatic; tptb needs to stop having the explanations of what happened after the climax; some corny-ness with the villagers, etc.).

better than sg-1's friday ep - i'll give it 3 stars/4.
            Last edited by Cinephilic TV Addict; 15 January 2006, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
              This episode was ok... Although I am getting sick of the whole "surviving Ancients" theme in the Pegasus Galaxy.

I am honestly still confused on Ascended Ancients in the Pegasus Galaxy vs Ascended Ancients in the Milky Way.... Is there a difference?

Is the Ancient Race of Alterans indiginous to the Pegasus Galaxy all died out or not?

I felt the invisible creature was too "simple"... I had first thought maybe it had something to do with some restrictions within the time dialation area... guess not.

Mattathias

nope they're the same alterrans cept some ascended in pegasus and the rest in MW

Comment

[QUOTE=nccjones]

LOL...I meant Sheppard, sorry. I've been between boards posting and didn't even realize I did that. Again I'm sorry, oh, and I'm not a dude

BTW...I edited the post.
                Heh, join the club. ANother 'dudette' called a 'dude'

Comment

for the record, i didn't make the mistake of calling sheppard mitchell! and that member has edited their post. and I am not a dude either, but for me, dude, is like a greeting...a hello...very casual in terms of getting someone's attention. I meant no disrespect to nccjones, or anyone else who happens to read my posts. It is becoming increasingly hard to tell gender from some screen names. dude, can encompass both genders, in my opinion. ok, then.

Comment

for the record, i didn't make the mistake of calling sheppard mitchell! and that member has edited their post. and I am not a dude either, but for me, dude, is like a greeting...a hello...very casual in terms of getting someone's attention. I meant no disrespect to nccjones, or anyone else who happens to read my posts. It is becoming increasingly hard to tell gender from some screen names. dude, can encompass both genders, in my opinion. ok, then.
                    It's all cool. I did say I wasn't a dude with a smiley face and I didn't think you were disrespecting me. Who said you made the mistake of calling Sheppard Mitchell? I thought it was pretty obvious it was me....another blond moment I call it...lol

Comment

Hmm, not really my favorite episode. Having one character disappear off to interact with a group of guest stars for 45 minutes is rarely--if ever--a plot that appeals to me. I didn't really care for it when they did it on SG1, and I thought this episode was only slightly better. My main complaint that lies in this common plotline is that, to me, the primary appeal of a show like this (and most any show I've seen) are the main characters interacting with each other.

At least I got to hear McKay call Ronon and Teyla "Conan and Xena." I do love that man.

As for Ronon, Shut. Up. Man, up until this episode, I didn't care for him much one way or the other (didn't like him, didn't hate him) but in the first fifteen minutes, he managed to launch himself to full jerk-status. Sure, McKay was probably annoying with all that babbling, but for crying out loud, the man was trying to save Sheppard. And even Teyla, of whom I've complained about in the past, seemed to be trying her best to work with McKay and see what she could do to contribute. Ronon's solution to the problem seemed to be to stand there in his pseudo Alpha-maleness and snipe at McKay for...I don't know...being a geek? Trying to save Sheppard? Doing something to fix the problem, rather than just stand there and complain? He has officially become my least favorite Stargate character. (No offense to anyone that likes him.)

Sorry, I haven't had the chance yet to read all the other posts. I am oh-so-jealous of the lucky ones out there that already saw these episodes some weeks ago.
                      Metroids are not pets
                      Metroids are not for target practice
                      Any unauthorized feeding of metroids is prohibited

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiGeek
                        As for Ronon, Shut. Up. Man, up until this episode, I didn't care for him much one way or the other (didn't like him, didn't hate him) but in the first fifteen minutes, he managed to launch himself to full jerk-status. Sure, McKay was probably annoying with all that babbling, but for crying out loud, the man was trying to save Sheppard. And even Teyla, of whom I've complained about in the past, seemed to be trying her best to work with McKay and see what she could do to contribute. Ronon's solution to the problem seemed to be to stand there in his pseudo Alpha-maleness and snipe at McKay for...I don't know...being a geek? Trying to save Sheppard? Doing something to fix the problem, rather than just stand there and complain? He has officially become my least favorite Stargate character. (No offense to anyone that likes him.)
                        Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one who felt the same way about Ronan! Every week I wonder why the heck he's even on the show! What's his purpose except to quote you..look good in his "pseudo Alpha-maleness"...lol. Sometimes I think people like his character because of how he looks. He's a turn off to me. Plus I can never understand what he's saying because he mumbles his words constantly. And what has he really contributed to the team and to Atlantis? Why would an earth team put TWO aliens on a team and only one scientist and a pilot? Makes absolutely no sense. But TPTB thought it would be more believable to have a "Conan" type then someone who would actually be useful.

As for Teyla, this is the first time I actually liked her. I liked how she went right into action and listened to Rodney. I never cared for her, but thanks to Ronan, she's now growing on me. But yeah, he's definatley my least favorite character in the SG universe.

Comment

A few mentioned earlier that this would have been better to have Sheppard stranded alone for 6 months (allowing for some inner reflection/flashbacks on his life), and I like that scenario better than having another Ancient girl come on to him. The cross between "100 Days" and "Forbidden Planet" didn't exactly work either. The monster was lame. On the other hand, Rodney was good as ever.

Overall, it was blah. On to next week.

Comment

Hello, and Welcome to General Hammond's Barber's Barber Shop

Sit down while I give out some hair cuts and give you my review of Epiphany.

Overall

Ok, I gave this one a chance. Actually I gave it two chances. The 1st time I was bored to tears by it, and actually think I ended uo zoning out in a few areas. I put it away for the weekend and watched it over again today (Monday). I liked it better the 2nd time around. However, this is still a weak episode of atlantis--possibly my least favorite atlantis episode of them all.

This episode received 3 Chevron's Encoded out of 8.

The Opening

This worked for me. It was a really good set up to the episode. Rodney was classic Rodney, and I felt that he and Teyla really saved the episode. Lines like "Yes, it is remarkably door-like" ""I didn't ask for a log" "Malp on a stick--only shows you so much" Great Lines. I like the set up with the doorway and the episode really had me ready for a good episode when the 1st commercial break came.

I enjoyed the next part too...I'd say I enjoyed the 1st 1/4 very much. Up until Shep encounters the actor from "The Cor'ai".

I loved seeing Teyla be more forceful and take charge of the situation. She showed herself to be more competent then Rodney was giving her credit for. She understood where Rodney was going with his points way before he got there. She bossed Ronon around which was very necessary since he proved again to be utterly useless. I agree with the last few poster's that I don't really see the point in his character. He has had some moments but overall gets lost.

I also felt like, Well 1st of all i thought the "Conan and Xena" comment was laugh out loud funny. I enjoyed Teyla proving him wrong, and Ronon well he was just Ronon. He couldn't even get Rodney a branch-- "I didn't ask for a log". Teyla figures out the time dilation field using her watch and a branch.

Shep Meets the Villagers

Here's where my eyes began to glaze over. 1st of all--seriously re-watch when that actor comes out of the woods. It is the worst scared acting I have ever seen. The Monster was very disappointing. Not much to say about it because there was not much too it.

Again, portions of Rodney made this part enjoyable..."are you ready", "it was zelenka's idea" "cannot fly the jumper in a striahgt line".....but about this point i realized that there was alot of one liners and not much story going on here.

Then we have SHephard off in a field acting like Tom Sawyer, complete with grass in his mouth. The interactions and acting of the villagers was weak. Shephard telling the villagers they needed to stand up to the monster reminded me of a after school special. Listen, simple villager, do not take drugs.

Ok,...now the really hot villager of course wants Shep. She can see the future. She seduces Shep. Now--he was there for a good while and the scene seemed to me like her just wanted to get some. No emotional conncetion whatsoever. Plus she has wanted him since she was a child which is also kinda weird. Now like others have said she could see all this in the future down to them having sex when he came and she could not see what they needed to ascend? Plus, later on she tells Rodney not to turn off the power source to the sanctuary which tells me that she new it existed and that it could be found and shut off--so why would she not tell Shep....not very nice. Her being so in love/enamored with him was not explained very well or demonstrated well.

We did learn alittle something more about the ancients and that this was a sanctuary for people to try to ascend and hide from the wraith.

Ok, another thing that bothered me. I liked Weir coming out. However, Weir (leader of Atlantis), Rodney (Lead scientist), Beckett (Lead Doctor), Teyla (Team member / Ally who is native to Pegasus and friends with many cultures) all go into the portal that e cannot be entirely sure Rodney can get us out of and what might be inside? That was too many valuable people to be going into a situation like that--Weir acknowledged it could be really problematic by saying if they don't get out to see what zelenka could do...well is Zelenka now gonna run atlantis, be lead doctor, lead scientist,etc. etc.?

I did like when SHep was talking about living and wanting to live life and not hide through ascension. I felt that was what Daniel was doing while he was gone through ascension--espeically in the episode where Ba'al was tortuing O'neill and he would not intervene.

I liked Beckett referencing a future date with Cadman...keeping continuity and hopefully a future appearrance by her.

The whole ending was weak. The people suddenly being swayed and realizing that it was their manifested fears. The way the beast was defeated. The girl acknowledging the field could be shut off--so the ancients were not serisou about being not able to leave or underestiamted people?

I dunno to many things bothered me about this episode. There were some fun things and interesting things but only enough power to encode 3 chevron's.
                            Every Tuesday General Hammond gets alittle touch up on his dome. I say, "General Hammond, alittle off the top today?"

Top 25 females of stargate

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=16929

Top 25 males of stargate

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=21105

Comment

Sorry, I haven't had time to read all the pages on this thread, so please, please forgive me if I'm only re-stating what has already been said.

For a first-time out for Joe Flannigan's story-pitching for the show, it was an OK beginning. The MALP on a stick was hilarious, as was the Conan/Xena reference. Many of the scenes in the cave were good, too. I did kinda like the way Rodney stepped up in his character after he realized that he royally screwed up again. The lines exchanged at the end were also good, when Sheppard met up with the team and told them that he might have sort've gotten to miss 'em, then Ronan piping in to say, well you were only gone for a few hours to us, so... That was classic.

However, many of the scenes inside the Sanctuary were lackluster. The only one who I really grew attatched to in the story besides John was the little girl. I shoulda known this would be a lackluster episode when I saw the guy from Cor-ai on here. The beast was cool, and I was gearing myself up for a big finish, but it turned out to be extremely anti-climactic. I agreed with Sheppard whole-heartedly when he said "That's it? That's all it took?!" Sorely disappointed.

On a side note, this episode can have a small message for Christians (for those of you who don't care, I shall make it so that you don't have to read if you don't wanna)
                              Spoiler:
                              Christians are supposed to meditate on God, pray and worship him, but if that's all we do, if we don't go out and do something with what God gives us, all we'll be doing is sheltering ourselves and boxing ourselves in. We're supposed to be in the world but not of it, not hiding from it.

Still, overall, I'd only give this three out of five stars, and that's only because of the saving one-liners.
                              Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Totally OT, but I think 'dude' still applies to the male gender. At least I've never heard anybody call a woman/girl 'dude'. But many people make gender-neutral handles because quite frankly, you make a handle that screams "female" and you get hit on. It's a drawback of the net.

Comment

Working...
                                X