• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was ok.
    School is overrated.

Comment

I liked the episode.

Phew..! So much complaining. Whine, whine, whine...! Eesh. Anywho...

For all those folks complaining that said episode (among others) has no point, I disagree. For one thing, stand alone episodes can be nice. However, even stand alone episodes often give critical information that will be needed down the road to reduce the time for explanations about things in later episodes. They also sometimes leave subtle hints, that might not be resolved for quite some time. For instance, we've begun to learn that the Ancients are beginning to take a bit more notice than they have previously. Before earth, and the rest of humanity seemed to be far below their radar screens. Now, we're learning that they seem to watch us a little more closely then we had given them credit for. The last episode of SG1, we learned that the Ancients decided that they needed to get involved in our conflict with the Ori on at least some level, which through Orlin, they did.

Okay... to bring the moral to the story home... The 'seeming' pointless encounters we've had with the Ascended in Pegasus are also bringing us to the attention of the Ancients. It may not mean much, but it might provide just enough 'umph' to move the story along later. I think it might be reasonable to suggest that the ascended beings that have made direct contact with us on Epiphany and in the past, are likely continuing to keep an eye out for us now. Obviously Oma, had been keeping a close eye on Daniel, or how else would she have known to bother to come and help him on the two times she did? I would imagine that the people of Abydos are still keeping an eye on their friends on Earth, perhaps waiting for the time when they might be able to offer some assistance. The same might be true here on Epiphany. Yeah... they ascended and are 'gone'... but are they? Sheppard was given the suggestion that they'd keep an eye out for him, perhaps even the offer of later helping him to ascend.

Moral of the story? Not so meaningless after all... Hmmm...
      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
      My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
      Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Just rewatched this episode. It's actually better than I remembered. Of course, I think I liked it before being a bit down on it after reading some of the posts here.

The time dilation field definitely look to create a gradiant as one gets closer to the center of the zone, time may had slowed down much more. Anyway, I would've expected Sheppard to see the flower that McKay sent in to test the time dilation (since that flower must had spent 6 hours or more there) and realize that there is some kind of time dilation but I guess that would take something away from the story. Also, perhaps there was some kind of intermediate region that the flower resided (but if the flower branch was as long as "MALP on the stick" then that that wouldn't be the explanation.
        I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Drive-by reply!
          Originally posted by Quinn Mallory
          Anyway, I would've expected Sheppard to see the flower that McKay sent in to test the time dilation (since that flower must had spent 6 hours or more there) and realize that there is some kind of time dilation but I guess that would take something away from the story.
          The easy explanation is that Sheppard was out scouting the area--which we know he did--during the time McKay stuck in the branch of flowers.
          Last edited by Yeade; 06 September 2007, 01:59 PM.
          The fact is I think I am a verb instead of a personal pronoun. A verb is anything that signifies to be, to do, or to suffer. I signify all three.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
            With SG1, fans could assume whatever they wanted as you could read into what happened and as for the results, ditto. Since we haven't seen anything about it on screen yet, fans can presume there's no offspring, but then again if the show jumps the shark, some kid comes through the gate looking for dad.

And I could see Jack giving Shep a lecture right before he leaves for the Pegasus Galaxy...

O'Neill: Just one more thing, Major.
            Sheppard: Sir?
            O'Neill: About sex with alien women...
            Sheppard: (blinks)... Uh.
            O'Neill: It's okay, except if they offer you cake.
            Sheppard: (confused) Sir??
            O'Neill: It's because of the nintendos or whatever (Sheppard just gawks). Anyway, just don't accept the cake.
            SHeppard: So, uh, if I don't accept the cake, then I can...
            O'Neill: No, if they offer you cake before, don't.
            Sheppard: Have sex?
            O'Neill: Eat the cake!
            Sheppard: But I could--
            O'Neill: No, if they offer cake, you can't do it.
            Sheppard: (more confused) What if the cake is offered after?
            O'Neill: (looks blank) Then I guess you're screwed.
            Sheppard: I would think that would be--
            O'Neill (just shoves Sheppard toward the door and out of his office): Just remember the nintendos! Or nanobytes, or whatever.
            Sheppard: (stands there a second as airmen pass by): Right sir. No cake, sex or computer games.
            O'Neill: You'll enjoy the Pegasus Galaxy (shuts door)

[from "Brief Candle']
            ROFLMAO!!

And WHY, pray tell, does this episode (by commercial) look just like A Hundred Days???

*LTSS.T.A.K.S
            Christian Gaters Unite!|| One show down.... SAVE SGA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Yeade
              Drive-by reply!

The easy explanation is that Sheppard was out scouting the area---which we know he did---during the time McKay stuck in the branch of flowers.
              Yeah, that's what I gathered but he went scouting for 6 hours without checking back to the entrance?

Maybe it was so dark in the cave that he just didn't notice the flower sticking in.
              I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

But the time difference could have meant that he was away for half an hour or something according to his watch but it turned out to be six hours.

Comment

Atlantis review as you watch:

Rodney, typical Rodney.
                  State the obvious Ronan, Rodney would NEVER jump all over that.
                  Rodney is going to get a beat down if he keeps that up.

Malp on a stick…. Nice
                  Beat down is definitely coming
                  This is stupid, (their plan that is, not the ep so far)

Can you hear me now? (was that a cell phone joke)
                  Rodney figures it out fast…. Nice

That too is stupid as BULLETS BOUNCE (doesn’t he watch Stargate SG-1)

Rodney taking charge good for him….maybe he should have written a note.
                  Ha ….see a note would have been good!
                  Conan and Xena… hahahaha that was funny.
                  Teyla walks too slow I suspect.
                  Monsters… your gonna eat me or I’m gonna eat you… good line.
                  Oh, poor Rodney too much guilt… but yea for more Carson.

That guy looks familiar… he was the one that wanted to kill Teal’c in Cori, right?

Kind of Star Trek. … with the monster doing the 3 claw scraping thing
                  Nice little family.
                  Uh, oh… told you that was stupid…. Maybe they should have actually, idunno, translated the writing on the wall BEFORE walking into the portal…. Its TV… need stupidity to move the plot.

Uh, oh… girl hitting on him.. but its at least not to flagrant yet.
                  Better then prostrating for 6 hours I guess.
                  Ahh, he is a brother.

Bet that monster is like some key to ascending or something.
                  Abandonment issues… that was funny
                  Injured again?. When did that happen? Oh so the kid is nearly ascended. Hey they actually tried to explain it, that’s a good sign.

Haha,,, good Telya smart with the watch.

Man that lady hitting on Shep looks familiar too. Shes been in something… cant think of what
                  Oh, the one, eh? That’s kinda cheesy.
                  Ahggg… kissing…. Well at least he has known her for a while.
                  Wow see, translation, that is a good idea.. maybe you should have read it FIRST.
                  Is it your right to turn it off? Carson looks like he has an issue. Oh, he has to go through.
                  Sheppard is trying to convince people ascending is a bad idea? Just let them believe what they believe.

Ronan\Rodney Bbbbeeeaaatttt ddddooowwwnnnn.
                  Saved by the monster.
                  Awe Rodney and Carson defending Weir.
                  Giant monster, that’s not good.
                  Awe the villigars have come to fight…. I mean ascend… man.. I know I have seen this before somewhere….I know I have.

Doh, shes got attitude… give it up Rodney.
                  Ok, that was a funny line… if the kirking stops here I can live with it.

It was a good ep. I liked it well enough. Good job….whoever wrote it.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Pretty good episode! A comment...the invisible beast, to me was a giant rip off of Startrek Next Generation...the episode where Picard and some alien guy are stranded on an island, and fight an invisible beast, together, they defeat it. Darmok and Gilad at Tinagra, anyone?
                    And yes, the young man was from "Cor-ai". I did like John's little "can you hear me now" references. A good episode, worth the replay in 2 hours.

Comment

Good job for JF and the other people that helped and corrected him along the way. Yes, you could say it was a culmination of other SG-1 epi's but I'll forgive that. I do have a few slight problems...

According to SG-1, you have to die to ascend. Shed your physical form. This was stated numerous times throughout SG-1. Season 5,8 etc.

Why can't they stick to one type of ascended shape. Those of you who've also seen SG-1 and what the ascended beings look like in their energy form know what I'm talking about. Consistancy would be nice here when dealing with ascended beings.

I thought that Teyla could only sense Wraith. But here she sensed the beast, which wasn't Wraith.

I started to think that the end was anticlimatic, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. To have a Wraith be the beast would be waaayyy too redundant. The concept that it was a culmination of their fears was actually quite good.

I'm slightly shocked that Weir put up with McKay calling her Xena, an obvious put down of her intelligence. Well, I guess that's why she's leader, infinite patience with certain asses.

Congrads to JF for a good script (yes, I know others contributed heavily), as well as good acting. He had a great many slight changes in expressions that said much to his emotions at the time. Wonderful.

Overall, w/o taking the technicalities into consideration...4/5.
                      I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!
                      - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Comment

This ep was great, although the kirking needs to stop. Why is the beast cloacked? I think it's a cheat excuse to not fully detail the beast and only add a cloak effect. This episode is kind of a mix of Brief Candle (time passes more quickly) and the ep where the Stargate is destoyed by a meteor (stranded and waiting to be rescued). It was good to see McKay taking charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannygirl
                          Good job for JF and the other people that helped and corrected him along the way. Yes, you could say it was a culmination of other SG-1 epi's but I'll forgive that. I do have a few slight problems...

According to SG-1, you have to die to ascend. Shed your physical form. This was stated numerous times throughout SG-1. Season 5,8 etc.

Why can't they stick to one type of ascended shape. Those of you who've also seen SG-1 and what the ascended beings look like in their energy form know what I'm talking about. Consistancy would be nice here when dealing with ascended beings.

I thought that Teyla could only sense Wraith. But here she sensed the beast, which wasn't Wraith.

I started to think that the end was anticlimatic, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. To have a Wraith be the beast would be waaayyy too redundant. The concept that it was a culmination of their fears was actually quite good.

I'm slightly shocked that Weir put up with McKay calling her Xena, an obvious put down of her intelligence. Well, I guess that's why she's leader, infinite patience with certain asses.

Congrads to JF for a good script (yes, I know others contributed heavily), as well as good acting. He had a great many slight changes in expressions that said much to his emotions at the time. Wonderful.

Overall, w/o taking the technicalities into consideration...4/5.
                          I am 99.9% sure that when Rodney said that he was refering to Telya (xena) and Ronan (Conan....hey that rymes). Although when he first said it I thought... why the heck is he calling Wier and Beckett Xena and Conan.... then my brain caught up... I think.... unless I am confused.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

This was a great episode - malp on a stick was good. Also from what has been said before, If they were in dire need of a zpm in theory they could go back and get it. From the rules that they will be forced to follow they can't stop Rodney from taking it in theory.

Comment

Originally posted by cindyz
                              Pretty good episode! A comment...the invisible beast, to me was a giant rip off of Startrek Next Generation...the episode where Picard and some alien guy are stranded on an island, and fight an invisible beast, together, they defeat it. Darmok and Gilad at Tinagra, anyone?
                              And yes, the young man was from "Cor-ai". I did like John's little "can you hear me now" references. A good episode, worth the replay in 2 hours.
                              I must be the only person who doesn't think ST:TNG but instead thinks of Forbidden Planet (the first invisible beast, which was from the id).

Comment

Had two good Sci-Fi concepts mixed together and it worked well.

7/9

Comment

Working...
                                X