No announcement yet.

The Hive (211)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok sorry folks this was pretty freakin' weak, made even more disapointing in context of the cliffhanger and the long wait.

The pace and flow was jarring and disorienting and the episode overall felt like more of a mish-mash of scenes than an actual continuous story.

This episode is also packed to the brim with the dreaded cliches and ridiculous plot contrivances that pop up to move the story along in those times when Atlantis sinks to its worst. Despite the massive influx of SFX it also manages to somehow be rather boring.

Ok lets run down the list of those contrivances and cliches I was talking about so I don't just come off as full of it.

-Door controls that make the door open when you shoot/damage them: Try this with ANY technological device, I dare you.

-The Wraith prison bars have gaps big enough for people to fit through, especially Teyla.

-What would happen if an SGC member lost their IDC because they were captured or forgot to use it because they were doped up on Wraith enzyme. Could this be a possible point of tension in the sotry perhaps, where the control room has to gamble on trust?.... We'll never know.

-Classic junkie withdrawl scenes from the evil drugs. Drugs are bad m'kay and every drug will have a horrible heroin like withdawl period. Yes every drug and yes regardless of what it does or it's chemical make up. You get your fancy pants science out of my science fiction.

-Sheppard gets saved from certain death at the hands of the Wraith queen because she gets a phonecall. It's never explained where she went or what she was doing. Did the other queen want to trade recipies, did that boy she likes finally let slip that he thinks she's cool? We wouldn't want to see any of that crap right. If we did we wouldn't be able to show Teyla sweating for 14 minutes and asking Ronan if they'd escaped yet.

-*Insert various scenes of Wraith hissing at people, bending their necks, bugging out their eyes and drooling for no reason here*. When Shep was talking about Wraith and clowns was I the only one thinking "seperated at birth?".

-The mysterious hot chick is not just a mysterious hot chick but actually evil! OMG unexpected!

-We learn that there's Wraith worshippers, how novel. We of course never get any explanation of why the Wraith need or want worshippers. I'm sure some fans will be able to make up a good explanation like usual though. That's what I love about Atlantis, the degree of audience participation in making the stories.

-Later on Shep's about to be eaten again but Ford, who was a twitching junkie wreck the last time we saw him, suddenly storms in, with Ronan's gun no less, and shoots an entire room of armed guards to save him. You know now that I think about it maybe you should of shown us Ford's miraculous unarmed escape from 5 armed Wraith guards while in a state of semi-coma and his re-finding of Ronan's confiscated gun on an entire frigging' hiveship instead of showing us Teyla and Ronan sweating. I'm just saying it probably would have been a bit more interesting, you know as opposed to the nothing you did show us. Couldn't think of a way to make it believable huh, yeah me either. Good to see that that didn't stop you from using it anyway though. The fans can go ahead and make up an explanation for it if they really want one right?

-As the episode draws to a close we go outside where we see Shep provoke the Wraith ships into killing each other by shooting a mile long hiveship with a dart's puny gun that barely sets grass of fire. The two hiveships start shooting each other as a result of this heinous attack and then one of them blows up and takes out the other one. Conveinient huh. They're like dominos, or those slime barrels in Doom. Of course even a 12 year old playing Doom learns not to shoot the slime barrels up close after he gets blown up the first time. I guess this is something the Wraith will need more than the alloted 10,000 years to wrap their heads around. If only they had some twelve year olds.

-Oh but wait there's more. In the roughly 30 seconds between the time Shep provoked them and the time they blew up he was able to fly to safety (never actually shown on screen of course) and "surprise" us later with his miraculous survival.

This entire thing played out as almost a parody of it's own ridiculousness. It would have been excellent and hilarious as a satire of sci-fi cliches had it not been trying to present this stuff seriously. It was though so that makes it cringe inducing.

Lost Boys was a good episode with some nice character development for Ford and a decent argument on behalf of using the enzyme. This thing just has McKay say "you know when you're under the influence of drugs you see the world differently, whoda thunk it eh, guess Ford's auto-wrong now huh huh" and that's supposed to be the wrap-up I guess.

This episode doesn't continue off of any of that good stuff that was laid down in part one and instead just opts for the SFX orgy approach. This is pretty much exactly what happened with Seige 1,2 vs 3. What gives? Is it something about the long breaks that allow the continuations of these episodes to develop dry rot or something?

"The storm" and "the eye" kicked ass though so what went wrong here?

This one fights it out for the title of lamest episode of the series with condemned and Seige 3 I'm afraid, and I think it's stepping into the ring as the favorite.

The Wraith chick was hot though.

Comment

The Storm/The Eye did set up a pretty big expectation for the mid-season two parter. I mean, those were the episodes that really sold me on Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze
        Anyone notice at the end the IDC came in before the stargate wooshed ?

Originally posted by Liverpool_chicK
        Now that you mention it, I did notice that. The gate had not even finished dailing when the IDC came through.

I guess that I have to watch the epi again.
        No I didn't notice it because it didn't happen like that. The Iris was raised & it had fully activated before they mentioned the IDC.

Comment

Just watched it. It was a good episode. **** I give it.

Good Scenes:
          Ronan's knives. Damn did he have a lot.
          McKay freaking out while dialing the gate
          McKay high on the enzime after her returns to Atlantis
          Sheppard's references to Clowns

And Cool Visual Effects
          sigpic

Comment

Didnt they promise a BIG space battle in the hive?
            Even reckoning and lost city had a bigger space battle <.<

I really hope the new ally wont be a Wraith Hive...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              Synopsis for anyone who's interested. Obviously spoilers for the episode, but if you dont want spoilers what the hell are you doing in this thread? o
              Great summary!

I had mixed feelings about this episode. I enjoyed bits and pieces of it but there were other bits that left me confused and I felt it didn't flow very well in general.

However, being the huge Atlantis fan that I am, I still enjoyed watching it.

Though I am a huge McKay fan, I enjoy storylines that deal with the team in general.

My favourite bits (personal opinion and in no way meant to be critical of anyone else's):
              - McKay going hyper/neurotic and his scientist line (and beating up the bad guys!)...
              - Sheppard and clowns in VWs (OK, that guy has issues and what's with the VWs? He had me laughing though!)
              - Ronon and his knives
              - Ronon's gun - they all need one of those!
              - Teyla had some lines...
              - Ford - it was good seeing him almost reverting back to his old self as the enzyme effects wore off.
              - Ford calling Sheppard "John" (unless I misheard) - adds a personal touch.
              - Sheppard calling Ford "Aidan".
              - Caldwell - OK, I'm probably one of the few - I kinda like the guy around! I think he's good interaction with Weir.
              - Radek - great to see him in dark BDUs, but pity he didn't go along.
              - Lorne - always nice to see him take on a more proactive role and he and McKay do have great interaction with each other.
              - Nice to see Rodney go all brave and want to save his team mates and actually show concern in his little "Why aren't you dead?" Rodney way.
              - Glad to see Beckett and it was nice of him to sit with Rodney - good friendship moment there.

Weaker points (I think or felt, once again just personal opinions):
              - Weir - I love Torri but I don't know if it was the writing or directing but I got this sense of urgency that Weir seemed more concerned with Sheppard than anyone else... of course I could be imagining... (incidentally I'm not a shipper here so it was odd for me to pick it up)...
              - Ronon - pls give him more lines (though he had great moves).
              - Sheppard - I love this character, but I felt as if they didn't write him well in this episode, though I do think Joe did a good job and I liked the way he interacted with Ford and the others.
              - I was trying to decide if I missed something - did Sheppard and his team just return to Atlantis without finding out how Rodney was going or did they already know that the Daedulus had come to rescue them as they escaped the hive ship? Am I thinking too much? It just didn't flow on from the Hive?
              - More lines for Teyla please!

As I said, they are just some of my thoughts/feelings and I could have missed something.

Overall, I liked the episode coz I'm a big fan of the series. I was trying to figure out why some bits didn't rub me the right way and I realised that it was written by a different writer and maybe I might have subconsiously picked up a different style (I just discovered that a lot of my fave epis were written by Martin Gero)... Still, it was a good epi overall and I mean no disrespect to anyone - I do love Carl's writing and some of his other epis are my faves (letters from Pegasus for example).

Ta,
              Alex

Comment

Originally posted by mcalex22
                - McKay going hyper/neurotic and his scientist line (and beating up the bad guys!)...
                Don't forget, "You're jealous because I get all the women!" XD

Comment

quick question guys...how are you managing to watch this episode?
                  i thought this airs in January on scifi?
                  - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                    Time machines

It aired in Canada the other night.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                      No I didn't notice it because it didn't happen like that. The Iris was raised & it had fully activated before they mentioned the IDC.
                      Oh, but it did. Just replayed it to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                        The new episodes are airing in Canada on TMC right now. Lots of Canadian viewers here. SciFi is the US channel.

My kind of guy:
                        "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                        Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                        (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
                          "The storm" and "the eye" kicked ass though so what went wrong here?
                          I too prefer the Storm/Eye two parter, the sense of danger then was higher.

Comment

Course'! Everything was going wrong at once, there was debate as to who was the rightful heir to Atlantis, Sheppy was kickin' ass, everything was just right!

Comment

Does anybody believe that Ford is dead? It'll be interesting to see how the writers get him out of that situation intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                                Does anybody believe that Ford is dead? It'll be interesting to see how the writers get him out of that situation intact.
                                Even though I did not see the ep, RSF did say Ford is alive with the possibility of being dead. So no I don't believe he is dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X