No announcement yet.

The Hive (211)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We know your main point is that we shouldn't have to sit here filling in all the hole Carl Binder left, and I agree 100%. He could really use some experience and writing tips from some of the other guys. From the standpoint of what a "serious episode" should be, I'd say he's done the worst out of any of the staff writers. Anyway, even though I understand you don't think we should have to do this, we have fun doing it regardless.

Actually, I watched SG-1's Torment of Tantalus recently and was amazed at how time-efficient it was. In 40 minutes it fit in backstory, new characters, emotional scenes and character development, cool ancient technology intrigue and overall story advancement, and an exciting escape scene. Not to mention the good reasons and explanations for everything that happened. If The Hive were written like that, it probably would have been in the SGA top 10.

Comment

I like Carl Binder's writing... He did a terrific job with Before I Sleep and Letters to Pegasus. While he's not a raw, rambunctious writer... I love the way he brings characters together to interact on a personal level. He, more than anyone else has done wonderful things with Weir.

Re: Comparisons with BSG... They are such different shows with different agendas. I love BSG and the way it delves relentlessly into the darkness but it's interesting to me that at a recent Con, when the emcee asked the audience how many people liked the new BSG and about a third to half the people put up their hands. I had a chat later with the lady sitting in front of me and she told me that the show was "too dark". It wouldn't surprise me that it is a view shared by many... Unfortunately for Australia, the show isn't going to be picked up for a second season. I wonder if the network had difficulty finding an audience.
      Not everyone, it would appear, wants to be punched in the guts... that's why they watch Stargate.
      sigpic
      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Argh, I was just running back to edit my post before anyone answered when I remembered he wrote Before I Sleep, which was one of my favorites. And now that I think about it, Letters From Pegasus had quite a big share of seriousness and drama, but I usually make the mistake of thinking of it as a comedy episode because it was the first time Atlantis really made me crack up. It was a really endearing and personal episode though.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of his work on the upcoming "Inferno". I hope it'll be as good as BIS!

Comment

All in all, a downright horrible episode only partly redeemed by McKay and some pretty graphics at the end. Oh, I must note that the starting credits were very well done as this was the first time I saw them in full.

I think the plot and the pacing of this episode were absolutely terrible. The scenes just dragged on as we were forced to watch the prisoners twiddling their thumbs while it never felt like they were in any danger whatsoever. There was simply no suspense.

I also thought using Ford as a deus ex machina without bothering to make any explanation as to how he managed to escape was downright insulting to the viewers. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford just shows up later in the season and we're never told how he survived.

And don't get me started on the wraith. They weren't too bad as villains to start with, but lately all they seem to do is hiss, screech, get shot at and blow up their own ships. Am I the only one who hopes the clowns are the big bad of this season because they can't possibly be less scary than the wraith?

One thing about Atlantis that I've found lacking is the quality of the acting. This is not something I usually focus on, but after seeing some stellar performances on the latest episodes of Veronica Mars and Lost, I was really underwhelmed by the acting in this episode. David Hewlett sold McKay for me and he's one of the reasons I watch this show and I didn't mind Paul McGillion as Dr. Beckett at all, but the other members of the main cast were disappointing. There was just no emotion in the scenes despite the deathly peril. This was probably partly due to the directing, but I feel the actors could have done a better job with the material as well.

Mind you, I'm not just trolling here as I absolutely loved Stargate (both series) not that long ago. However, I then broadened my horizons and started watching other series like Buffy, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5 and Veronica Mars. Coming back to Stargate this season has been a disenchanting experience, whether because my standards have gone up or because the newest seasons of the franchise have been worse I can't say.
          "I would rather have a show that a hundred people need to see than a thousand people like to see." - Joss Whedon
          "It's strange to have a creation out there: A deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." - Dexter

Comment

Originally posted by Domesticated Equine
            Mind you, I'm not just trolling here as I absolutely loved Stargate (both series) not that long ago. However, I then broadened my horizons and started watching other series like Buffy, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5 and Veronica Mars. Coming back to Stargate this season has been a disenchanting experience, whether because my standards have gone up or because the newest seasons of the franchise have been worse I can't say.
            I understand what you mean during the end of season 6 for some very strange unknown reason I lost complete interest in SG1 (im still not sure why). I think i tuned into only something like 2 episodes of season 7, but i did catch the season finale (which was great) and i went back and watched all the episodes from the first season onwards again and realised why i loved the show in the first place.

Maybe watching your favourite episode would help? A little reminder of what first brought you to the show could help too, if you can remember what it was?

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
              I guess it'd be pretty arrogant to say "I know what you are going through" when you haven't been through it yourself.
              Plus, watch the scene again.
              McKay says 'You have NO idea what I'm going through' and Beckitt gets this sad/knowing look on his face and say, 'oh I have an inkling'.
              That doesn't sound like second hand knowledge to me, it sounds like he's been there and knows how it feels intimately.
              But, that's just my read of the situation.
              I watched the scene over again (nerd, I know) and he's seems so sad, and he wouldn't leave Rodney's side. It's so personal!

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by Cynicat
                There are a few theories bouncing around about that:

- Beckett has had personal experience with some form of addiction
                - Beckett has treated addicts in the past
                - Beckett has seen a friend/family member go through withdrawal
                - watcher652's theory that Beckett was drawing a parallel between Mckay's physical pain, and the emotional pain he was feeling because of what McKay was saying. (personally, I quite like this theory - it's cool)
                - It was just a doctor-y thing to say to a patient. Empathy, and all that.

Take your pick, mix'n'match, or come up with new ones
                I don't go with the first one (Beckett having been addicted) but I'm positive he's seen addictsin the past. With the prevalence of drugs in our society these days, how could he not? And it doesn' thave to be drugs either; could be alcohol. That's just as bad too as virtually anybody can get a hold of a bottle of Scotch.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                  I like Carl Binder's writing... He did a terrific job with Before I Sleep and Letters to Pegasus. While he's not a raw, rambunctious writer... I love the way he brings characters together to interact on a personal level. He, more than anyone else has done wonderful things with Weir.
                  He's done a very good job on eppies like "Letters to Pegasus," etc. He's great with the interpersonal stuff, like the scenes with Beckett and McKay but the action stuff left a bit to be desired, or shoudl I say, the lack of action in the action scenes? Others have pointed out that there are our heroes, in dire peril (like tied to the railroad track, train coming, villian yanking on moustache time) and nobody is exhibiting much worry. While I think they're all made of strong stuff, it would be nice to see them show a little fear as they're about to die.

One thing has bored me about SG1 recently has been the characters' totally lackluster reaction to incredibly imminent doom ("oh ho hum, we're all going to die. want to order a latte before we go?" type stuff).

I wonder how much was written, even filmed, but then got ditched in favor of action scenes, which is what many networks push for. Watch any syndicated show get hacked to bits until all you're left with is car chases....

Comment

Good ep! I wish I had a HD huge tv to watch that dart swarm scene. It looked fantastic! The actual battle scene between the two hives looked lame, but that may have been my tiny screen....

That whole clown routine was wonderful. I really like Sheppard's character.

What is it about powerful people/lifeforms needing worshippers, eh?

Sheppard did some pretty quick thinking there, claiming that his group were worshippers of the other queen and sent to "fulfill prophecy." Very cool. As he hit the hives with his one little dart ship I couldn't help thinking that Bra'tac and Teal'c would be so proud.

Rodney was a total hoot, as usual, and I loved how he actually empathized with Ford, understanding how frustrated he must be.

I loved Weir's and Beckett's exchange in the infirmary about Rodney's stubborness saving him but they wouldn't tell Rodney that - so as not to feed the beast. ROTFL! Loved their faces!

I forget, now, but can Ford fly a dart? I'm thinking not, since he recruited Sheppard, but since it's not Ancient tech and since Ford has the Wraith enzyme....

Anyways, I hope he survived. I'd like to see him back in season three.
                    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Even if Ford can't fly one, all he'd have to do is start pressing some buttons and end up getting far away enough from the ships.

And also about Beckett... If he was addicted to something (let's just say... painkillers). It kind of reminds me of Carter on ER. He got addicted to painkillers yet he continued to be a doctor. Why not the same for Beckett?

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Yeah, Ford mentioned that they'd "banged it up pretty good on the last couple landings, but this time we wanted a real pilot." So I don't doubt that he can manage a dart by himself.

I think maybe Carl should stick to the character-centric episodes and the funny ones and leave the complicated plot ones to Brad Wright and Martin Gero.

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                          And also about Beckett... If he was addicted to something (let's just say... painkillers). It kind of reminds me of Carter on ER. He got addicted to painkillers yet he continued to be a doctor. Why not the same for Beckett?
                          I don't think it's so much the fact that he's a doctor that makes it implausible for me, but Beckett's personality in general. He doesn't strike me as the addict type. Of course, that could make such a revelation that much more powerful...
                          "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                          My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

I also noticed the emphasis placed on Beckett's comment about withdrawl. Maybe this will come up later.

Two questions someone here can hopefully answer:

-When Shep was talking about Earth he mentioned "Starbucks on every corner." Can you just say a trademarked name of a company like that? Did TPTB get permission from Starbucks? Did Starbucks pay them to say their name?

-Zelenka seemed quite relieved to not be going on the Daedalus. Did I miss a scene in an earlier ep where he was scared of flying on the ship or something? I feel like I missed something.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                              -When Shep was talking about Earth he mentioned "Starbucks on every corner." Can you just say a trademarked name of a company like that? Did TPTB get permission from Starbucks? Did Starbucks pay them to say their name?
                              Hmmm... I think they would have to get permission, but I'm not sure on that. I recall reading an X-Files interview years ago where someone mentioned that they actually had to get permission to say stuff like a "Big Mac."
                              "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                              My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                                I also noticed the emphasis placed on Beckett's comment about withdrawl. Maybe this will come up later.

Two questions someone here can hopefully answer:

-Zelenka seemed quite relieved to not be going on the Daedalus. Did I miss a scene in an earlier ep where he was scared of flying on the ship or something? I feel like I missed something.
                                Remember how freaked out he was just going to a normal ol' planet in Duet? Imagine how he'd feel about going on a ship to fight a bunch of hive ships. (A ship that keeps getting half-blown up by hive ships, I might add...)

I recall one of TPTB talking about how in Window of Opportunity they had to get permission to mention Fruit Loops, and they wanted them to make it Ego Waffles because sales for waffles were low, but they insisted on Fruit Loops because it was a time loop in the episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X