Aurora (209)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
    The thing that I don'ty like about these eps, is whenever they come across some cool ancient tech you know it's eventually gonna get the **** blown out of it. Such as: 'Siege 1 & Trinity."

Those scenarios are legendary in the SG universe & that annoys the hell out of me. A bit like Bond & his new car, You just know what's going to happen before it actually does.

Also I'm sure Daedalus could have taken care of the two Cruisers & thus preserved the Aurora for a tad longer before more backup arrived. Essentially enough time to get access from the computers & also get Rodney & the Daedalus scientists filled in on the inner workings of Ancient tech from the Aurora crew by using the empty pods. Like Trinity I'm sure nothing of any real importance was gained from the whole experience.

Lastly it would have been a far better ending to see some of the crew get revived & struggle to their posts on the bridge, if even only for a few secs. To see them go down fighting to the very end before taking themselves out in a self-destruction.
    Yup standard SG senario - find alien tech and then promptly lose it or destroy it to keep it from the baddies or its destroyed while being used. TPTB really make the teams work for it, the only tech they ever really get to keep is the stuff built on earth or in the case of Atlantis found in the city.

'Bout the Daedalus once the wraith ships adapted to Asgard beaming tech the Daedalus' weapons became useless. It may be faster and better shielded but it has no way of beating the cruisers

But regarding the Daedalus, don't the wraith think it was destroyed along with the city? If so keeping the Daedalus a secret is a priority, its weapons may suck, but the wraith know it came from earth so its navigation data and more importantly Hyperdrive can never be allowed to fall into their hands

Originally posted by ThomasDM
    Yes, indeed the show says they were in statis for 10,00 years. But I don't understand why they went in stasis. It looks like they were attacked (by the Wraith?) but it's strange the attackers didn't completely destroy the ship. And it's also weird the Wraith didn't enter the ship 10,000 years ago.
    The way I see it, the Aurora, was on its way back to Atlantis and was attacked. It managed to defeat the wraith ships but was critically damaged - the ship was dead in space. Dead in space equals no energy signal so Aurora might as well have been any other hunk of metal drifting through space to longrange sensors, afterall the Atlantis team didn't find it with their sensors but by the Ancient tracking system that can detect Ancient "Transponders" (honestly I don't know how they did it but that sounds about right). So the crew tuck themselves into stasis pods and wait for a rescue that never comes because their race abandon the galaxy.

As for the pods themselves, has it ever said how long the Ancients lived for? I got the impression that they lived a LONG time. Bare in mind that Merlin left Atlantis in 8,000 BC and lived up until 500 AD (-ish). However after 10,000 years in stasis they were dying of old age. Thats how long Weir lasted. The only thing I can think of to explain it is that the pods on Aurora are different from Old Weirs capsule - maybe they were only meant for short term use - lifeboats until they could be picked up by another ship and therefore didn't slow or barely slowed the aging process
    Last edited by Steve_the_Wraith; 20 September 2005, 03:43 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasDM
      The show talks about a weakness from the Wraith. That they are interested in acquiring Ancient intergalactic hyperdrive technology isn't really a weakness

Yes, indeed the show says they were in statis for 10,00 years. But I don't understand why they went in stasis. It looks like they were attacked (by the Wraith?) but it's strange the attackers didn't completely destroy the ship. And it's also weird the Wraith didn't enter the ship 10,000 years ago.

I just watched it...The was the first full feldged Anicents with tech show that has been shown. The Wraith didn't board because the ship was dead in space...The wraith didn't know where it was. The wraith erased the data as soon as it found out they knew their weakness. But like most things...There are more than one weakness...The Tauri will find a weakness...Maybe its when they find a way to create a new virus that will convert all of the wraith to human for good.!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000
        I just watched it...The was the first full feldged Anicents with tech show that has been shown. The Wraith didn't board because the ship was dead in space...The wraith didn't know where it was. The wraith erased the data as soon as it found out they knew their weakness. But like most things...There are more than one weakness...The Tauri will find a weakness...Maybe its when they find a way to create a new virus that will convert all of the wraith to human for good.!!!!!
        If the Wraith didn't know where the ship was then who attacked the ship? The ship was damaged so probably it has fought the Wraith.

But one of my theories is that there was never any information about a Wraith weakness on the Aurora. The Wraith was on a mission to acquire the intergalactic hyperdrive technology and I believe the Wraith were manipulating the system to make everyone believe the Aurora was on a mission to deliver a message to Atlantis. For an advanced race like then Ancients it doesn't really make sense to send such an important message with a slow ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
          'Bout the Daedalus once the wraith ships adapted to Asgard beaming tech the Daedalus' weapons became useless. It may be faster and better shielded but it has no way of beating the cruisers

But regarding the Daedalus, don't the wraith think it was destroyed along with the city? If so keeping the Daedalus a secret is a priority, its weapons may suck, but the wraith know it came from earth so its navigation data and more importantly Hyperdrive can never be allowed to fall into their hands
          It's possible that they couldn't overcome the beaming problem, but I personally think that's just the Hive ships which that applies to. They used their shields to Jam the Beaming tech. Cruisers I don't think have that luxury. Even on the chance the Cruisers have also adapted themselves then even a few metres outside the hull would be enough to severely damage them.

One thing that really irks me regarding the Daedalus's offensive capabilities is why they don't take a PJ from Atlantis & house it in the hanger bay alongside the 302's. This way, incase of dire straits & they were really backed up against a wall then they at least have a few Drones as a last resort.

I know the Wraith think that Atlantis was gone along with the Daedalus, but it's possible that to them it's another ship of the same class, such as their Cruiser model. To them that could be a single enemy ship wandering the Pegasus galaxy looking for Ancient tech & such stuff.

Comment

It's sad that Shep had to activate self-destruct, blowing it up along with its crew. Why on space(celestial speaking) would they send a slow ass ship to do a reconnaissance? It would have also took them months to get back to Atlantis.

The portrayal of the ancient's in this eipsode suggest they were pretty damn
            weak and gullible. Maybe the captain only

Comment

Eyestrain -- I LOVE your sig! It made my day.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by EyeStrain
                Why on space(celestial speaking) would they send a slow ass ship to do a reconnaissance? It would have also took them months to get back to Atlantis.
                Too many strangeness.

Atlantis Db says the ship is on "recon".

The captain says they have important information about a wraith weakness, but that the council itself on Atlantis said it's too important for you to know.

Why are they on a "recon" mission then. You would assume that they found the information themselves, not that they are picking it up from somewhere encrypted for the ancient council to look over.

The wraith manipulated the people, but they obviously know that the actual "recon\courier" mission was a success, and they need to go back to atlantis, which is where the wraith decides he wants the hyper tech (Just how easy is it to transform an in-galaxy hyper drive to a full inter-galactic hyper drive?).

Why did'nt they beam the info back to atlantis? Where did the info come from? Why were they on a recon mission, but then not have access or knoweledge of the "recon" info\weakness they got. Strange.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

overall i thought this epidsode was pretty good, i give it a 8 out of 10.
                  My DVD Collection http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...id=deathshadow

Comment

Hm..., this is my least favourite episode this season!

We could have learned so much about the ancients, but after this eps, I really can't imagine them to be the great builders of the Stargate. They were really too weak!
                    It was a good John-McKay-Friendship episode, with a little Teyla-Ronon-shippy-hint.
                    Caldwell just can't turn out to be a nice guy... somehow I'm just waiting for the moment...
                    I really hope next weeks episode will be better!

Comment

Originally posted by Dorka
                      Hm..., this is my least favourite episode this season!

We could have learned so much about the ancients, but after this eps, I really can't imagine them to be the great builders of the Stargate. They were really too weak!
                      Civilisation in decline. Happens all the time.

Comment

As an American who hasn't seen the episode, I have to ask. Did they give a reason for using two different hyperdrive types? Was it to prevent the Wraith from getting intergalatic drives, or were their intergalactic drives so fast that they'd overshoot any intragalactic destination? Or did they just want to be complicated and have a slower model hyperdrive when one standard model would do?
                        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

please why did you do a self destruct episode, they are the worst, most pointles episode in the genre, i said to myself that aurora was going to make or break the season and frankly im disappoints and let down by that episode. the ship wasnt even real, the ancient weapons were like zat only a little cooler and there was wraith involved, this episode sucked, we got to see an ancient ship, there cool but the plot was stupid and im gutted and annoyed something good didnt come out of it.......bad call PTB, you broke the season!

agree?
                          sigpic
                          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                          Stargate : Genesis |
                          Original Starship DesignThread
                          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                          11000! green me

Comment

how did you see it already?
                            jake o'niel ".......bite me"

Mythbusters....."I reject your reality and arbitrarily substitute it with my own"

Comment

hmmm. Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Comment

i feel let down, p***ed off and i really just want to rewrite or erase that episode, i actually wish id never seen that episode, its ruined this season, an ancient ship was the last thing left for the atlantis team to find and it got blown up, why dont they blow themselves up and end the season now! i swear if they dont find another ship thats intact and real in the next 3 eps ill give up....ill actually give up on stargate atlantis.
                                sigpic
                                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                                Stargate : Genesis |
                                Original Starship DesignThread
                                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                                11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                                X