No announcement yet.

Aurora (209)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any chance that one of you who is really good at renderings, try and show what the Aurora might have looked liked before the Wraith attacked it?
    Jackson: Oh Please! Teal’c’s like one of the deepest people I know. He’s so deep. Come on! Tell em how deep you are. You’ll be lucky if you understand this.
    Teal’c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
    Jackson: (Excited) Oh!! See?
    O’Neill: No more beer for you.

"Nu ani Anquietas"
    We are the Ancients

Comment

no but it was a good part
      Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
      sigpic

Comment

The toast would have had more emotional impact if we had gotten to know the crew a bit better.

Agree with Comblin - no one gives a speech like Commander Adama!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

All I can say is I hope we have more eps where we see ancient ships like Aurora. I really liked the crew, would like to see more ships frozen in virtual environments or whatever.

Comment

I felt bad for him, he seemed like a really nice Ancient. My emotions came in Sheppard's and Caldwell's reaction to the explosion. That was painful. And yes, the toast was equally as painful. There you understood what the Captain talked about when he said the Aurora would be remembered.
            I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!
            - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Comment

There were some absolutely fabulous character moments in Aurora. Teyla convincingly spewing technobabble was priceless with Ronan trying to help, especially after watching Simon trying to teach Mal, Zoe, and Jayne medical technobabble on Firefly.

The interaction between Sheppard and Rodney was great. I felt that Rodney took Sheppard saying he didn't trust him more seriously than Sheppard meant it to be, and then you could see him trying harder to reassure him.

The toast at the end was a really nice touch. Unfortunetly, I didn't connect with any of the Ancients and didn't really care that they died on an emotional level beyond recognizing their predicament. It was just the way they came across. I just didn't pick up on the human element of it, maybe just the way the music/directing/acting was handled.

The other part of the episode that I didn't like was how the feel of the time limit was ruined. It threw off the last later part of the episode. Caldwell tells Rodney he's going to blow the ship up in a few minutes, Rodney enters the VR just to make sure Sheppard isn't stuck so they can hightail it out of there, and then spend the next twenty minutes hanging around without a sense of being anxious about the time limit nor seeming rushed. Yes, I understand that the pursuit of this knowledge was very important, but they're chatting it up like they're in the mess hall, talking about hot Wraiths, with a 'by the way we will be blown up in a few minutes' tacked on at the end before they go on their merry ways and Sheppard sentimentally sticks around substancially past when he learned there's no chance of learning the secret.

Whenever I see a SA ancients I get wondering what makes them so powerful. They don’t look smart than any average human, nothing closer to ascension. Somehow, when u see the ancients leaving earth to Pegasus millions of years a go, they look very advanced, they even read each others minds, instead of talking.
              Overall I feel the technology and abilites of the Ancients in Stargate Atlantis have been drastically "dumbed down" compared to how the Ancients were portrayed in SG1 seasons 1-8.
              You make good points like with using chair interfaces to a regular old Star Trek setup in Aurora. I definitely got a much more mundane humanesque vibe from the Ancients in Before I Sleep and Aurora and even Threads than how they've been built up to be perceived in the past. I'd say that maybe we were just putting the Ancients on a pedestal without actually knowing them before, like it was suggested in Trinity, but we have living examples like the opening of Rising and Frozen. Perhaps what we are seeing of the Ancients in Stargate Atlantis is from when their society was past its prime.

Comment

cry? no characters have to grow on me in order to deserve my tears
                The last time I cried was because of Star Wars III...

Comment

So is it safe to say that Rodney's relationship with Katie Brown is over? I mean, in Aurora he was commenting on how hot the Wraith was, and right after in Lost Boys he says "Well, couldn't we have met these people on a tropical beach planet, populated by tall, blonde women?" It doesn't sound like he's in a happy relationship with Dr. Brown.

Comment

I was sad, that's for sure. I mean, it was an Ancient who was all...you know, down to Earth and not condecending.

*~S.T.A.K.S.~*~LiveJournal Leik Woah~*

"Dosmrti, dosmrti na to nezapomenu."

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
                      The last time I cried was because of Star Wars III...
                      Hm...Strange, me to, when Obi-wan said "You were the chosen one!" And the music changed, for me, it's all about the music.

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

I thought the Aurora ending was very touching...it could have been maudlin, but the scene played out well. Sometimes you don't have the 'luxury' of knowing people who die heroically, but you can still mourn them, and a toast to their passing was very appropriate.

Of course, it made me wonder how much the spirit of the Aurora's crew was channeled in that moment. The value of ceremony in a universe where what lies beyond is a mystery...I've always wondered, and this last scene made me think about that again.
                        sigpic

Comment

did i turn it off too soon ?

Comment

Originally posted by PartyLikeIts1984
                            I was sad, that's for sure. I mean, it was an Ancient who was all...you know, down to Earth and not condecending.
                            i totally agree with you, we meet a LIVING (to a degree) Ancient whos down to earth and not like the stuckup prunes in before i sleep (like the "the council's decision is final" chick and the guy who went off at Janus) and what happens to him?!?!? he dies , his speach was pretty good aswell

Little note though, when sheppard got the self destruct code was it set in the "Virtual Environment" or somewhere in the damaged ship

Comment

Originally posted by 4574
                              did i turn it off too soon ?
                              you didnt watch the ending?

Comment

Originally posted by sparklegem
                                So is it safe to say that Rodney's relationship with Katie Brown is over? I mean, in Aurora he was commenting on how hot the Wraith was, and right after in Lost Boys he says "Well, couldn't we have met these people on a tropical beach planet, populated by tall, blonde women?" It doesn't sound like he's in a happy relationship with Dr. Brown.
                                Just because someone's in a relationship doesn't mean they don't fantasize. Wander through the thunk threads some time and ask how many of the folks there are actually married.

I think Rodney's just being a typical male, chasing after impossible dreams.

Comment

Working...
                                X