Conversion (208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AshG
    Great episode, I really enjoyed this one.

One (possible) error, though. I might be remembering it wrong, but the planet with the Iratus bugs had a space-born gate (38 Minutes, anyone?), yet in this episode the team just walked on through the gate without a PuddleJumper. Am I missing something?
    Actually I didn't think about that myself, is it possible that the bugs are on other planets, maybe? Of course I remembered 38 Minutes, it's still my favorite ep.

Anyway, I rewatched the ep again and well there are a few things that stood out at me that I thought was kinda funny.

-when they were going in the infirmary and Rodney was complaining about a splinter (love rodney, he's so funny)
    - the whole 'bed side manner' thing, i thought weir was pretty cute with that
    - just have to say that shep was devolving and he still looked hot, the hood he wore at the end reminded me of darth vador in episode III, my dad who was watching the ep with me even did the "dun dun dun dun dddun" thing like the vador music ( )
    -of course rodney picking on ronan about the bug poop

About the kiss, I didnt think it was romantic it was surprising though, and came out different then I thought it would. I've also been posting with the shweirians and have read lots of stuff about what that kiss would come out as, and have to kinda agree, it was a little scary. I also thought that when shep was choking weir was scary too.

Just some thoughts I had at the moment, have to go for now, see yall around.
    McKay: I'm invulnerable!
    Weir: Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?
    McKay: In-vul-ner-able.

McKAY: I'm not crazy -- I just have another consciousness in my brain.

First icon made by Cathain Nottingham and last 4 made by ToasterOnFire
    My LJ My Fanfic My Homeschooling Blog

Comment

As for Teyla not trying to fight off Sheppard... Well, he'd just proven he was MUCH faster and MUCH stronger than he should have been. That's initially what was worrying her. Couple that with him pinning her to the wall and shoving his tongue down her throat... I'm inclined to think she was afraid of what might have happened if she'd tried to put up a struggle.

I did not once get the sense that she wanted the kiss or that she liked it, I had the feeling that she was flat out terrified and afraid that he might do something WORSE if she tried to push him away. While I'm not quite up there with derrick's claim of rape, I do think it would have progressed a bit further (and a lot more violently) if she'd tried to stop it.

Better to take the kiss and walk away than to risk not walking away at all... or at least not with your body/integrity intact.

Comment

Honestly, I didn't get fear so much as her just thinking "what the bleep?" I don't really ship at all (though Shep and McKay do have that "old married couple" vibe ) and I didn't see any Shep/Teyla in it. I think she was confused more than anything. He hadn't really given her any reason to fear him other than going all Inigo Montoya with the sticks, so I doubt that fear would have been her first response.

As for Weir, I like the woman, really, I do. But John was right about the whole "bedside manner thing." Whenever she's trying to be strong or all "leader-y" she ends up spouting cliches and turns into this one-dimensional LeaderBot. She's much more original, and human when she's being Elizabeth than when she's being Dr. Weir.

And Caldwell, well...I can't really blame him for any of his actions. I don't excuse him, but he really thinks that he could do a better job than John. The comment about "rookie mistakes" got me thinking. Caldwell really does have a lot more experience than Weir and Sheppard and it surprised me that they wouldn't have asked for advice the first chance they got. Granted Shep's been busy, but I would have expected him to at least ask for Caldwell's opinion on how things have been running.

One thing I thought was really cool was seeing the medical team working together. We see a lot of the science team and the military brainstorming, but for the first time we got to see the medical team showing off the brains that got them on the mission in the first place. I want to see some more of that.

As for Rodney, he really needs to get out of the doghouse. As much as I liked seeing the Medical team go all House M.D. on those retroviral arses, I miss Rodney and Zelenka. We haven't seen them play nice since Trinity.

And as much as I try to avoid fangirl moments, Flanigan looked really nice in his civies. Okay. That's all the fangirl you'll ever get out of me. Ever. I swear. I swears on the precious.....woah...wrong fandom...

*~S.T.A.K.S.~*~LiveJournal Leik Woah~*

"Dosmrti, dosmrti na to nezapomenu."

Comment

Can I just say that we are discussing SCIENCE FICTION. I've been reading science fiction since the yearly 60's. It is not a "nice" genre. It does not conform to any Judo/Christian, Femenistic, Individualistic idiology. It goes beyond the boundaries that normal people are caught up in, it's supposed to explore the unexplained, the unexpected and the just downright scary. I don't understand that some people are watching this program and expect it to "teach" polite manners. That is not the "teachings" of Science Fiction. If you want that type of programming then perhaps you should tune into the Hallmark channel. Why are you watching this program if it doesn't meet your moralistic standards?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatCatOfRe
            Can I just say that we are discussing SCIENCE FICTION. I've been reading science fiction since the yearly 60's. It is not a "nice" genre. It does not conform to any Judo/Christian, Femenistic, Individualistic idiology. It goes beyond the boundaries that normal people are caught up in, it's supposed to explore the unexplained, the unexpected and the just downright scary. I don't understand that some people are watching this program and expect it to "teach" polite manners. That is not the "teachings" of Science Fiction. If you want that type of programming then perhaps you should tune into the Hallmark channel. Why are you watching this program if it doesn't meet your moralistic standards?
            Are you saying that we should ignore it when a female character is sexually assaulted on screen because "hey, it's science fiction"?

D

Comment

A lot for me to agree with here. Like you, loved the emotion and pure angst shown in it. Kickass!Weir is awesome. The woman has come so far since stepping thru that gate for the first time. The writers have finally wised up and realized what a gem they have in TH. She can do it all and they're finally writing stories that give her a chance to show it. Looks like the second half the season will give her some good eps to show off those diplomatic skills of hers and also show some things we may not have seen from her yet. Great character. Angst rules. Anybody with eyes could see she was dying inside over what was happening to shep but she has a steel backbone that lady does.

As for shipping, I watched the ep with my husband who posts on boards as iwsbull and he isn't an active shipper and just loves action and tech and such but even he feels the special connection between shep and weir. He says as long as they keep it slow that he won't mind them eventually coming to that conclusion themselves. I ship like heck and am much more verbal but I'm going with him on this one. It has a chance to be real and special if it is continued to be built slow and steady.

Entire cast was great per usual. I'm diggin ronon so much. He is a stirrer that they needed. He shakes things up and brings stuff out in those that he interacts with.

Zero. Point. Snark. is the best Atlantis review site on the net imo. I burst a gut just laughing my ass off and spew everytime I read stuff there. Those reviews are the best regardless of any ship wishes. But if they don't convince you to shep/weir-nothin will.

Comment

Originally posted by derrickh
                Are you saying that we should ignore it when a female character is sexually assaulted on screen because "hey, it's science fiction"?

D
                Where are you coming from on this. Sexually assaulted...when did that happen???? But again...I'm asking why are you watching this show...you have shown over and over that you don't like it...why are you wasting your time on it. It just doens't make any sense to me for someone to watch something that they are so offended by and to post on a fan page. Why don't you protest to the SciFi channel or to the producers of this program instead of posting in here? I mean really what is your purpose in all of this. To provide social advancement for the better treatment of females..then if it's that say so...state exactly what your purpose is to be on this forum. Mine is because I'm a fan of Stargate. What is yours????

There are so many TV shows and not to mention movies that you could be protesting about are you doing that? Then say so. Perhaps go to a forum and protest those anti-social agenda's.
                Last edited by TheGreatCatOfRe; 11 September 2005, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by weirfan517
                  About the kiss, I didnt think it was romantic it was surprising though, and came out different then I thought it would. I've also been posting with the shweirians and have read lots of stuff about what that kiss would come out as, and have to kinda agree, it was a little scary. I also thought that when shep was choking weir was scary too.
                  I agree it wasn't romantic, just felt that Teyla might have liked it on her end after a while because she didn't fight back (but Shadow might be right about her being too afraid to) but under normal circumstances Shep would not have done that and would have not wanted to. I've had a feeling for a long time that there's something between Shep and Weir, but this ep made me realize that Weir fancies Shep like hell with all the attention she gave him and how she stood up for him against Everett (hate that guy, he just can't be trusted) and he does feel attracted to her too, but for obivous reasons in this ep it didn't show so much, it was the exact opposite which I agree was really scary. I think if that happened to any1 else it would have taken some time to forgive but not for Weir and Shep as there's definitly something between them, there's no denying.
                  sigpic

Comment

3) Weir/Shep alone scenes: First off, Weir is really naive and dumb to go into a room with someone de-evolving into a Wraith/life sucking bug without some sort of protection. I love the woman, but come on! They have a lot of scenes together, and for all she knows, he'll be dead in only a few days...but neither of them even start to say anything remotely shippy about how they feel.

It's the plot, plus I think she had enough confidence in Sheppard - or maybe didn't want to believe he would 'turn' that badly. But I guess her confidence was confirmed as he didn't kill her, just knocked her into the wall! Cough coiugh./

7) The Last Scene: So John's apologizing for maybe being out of character...but he didn't go to Weir, whom he tried to choke. So this means that kissing the woman that you have found attractive since Day One is out of character but strangling your boss isn't?

I saw that as just a matter of time on the show. I'm sure he did apologize for throttling her; probably was mortified when he remembered doing that as that was definitely a violent, potentially murderous act, while with Teyla, he kissed her, albeit rather aggressively and without her permission. Two totally different animals.

Comment

Originally posted by derrickh

D
                      Derrickh...excuse me but I just realized that you are a TROLL...I will remove myself from the discussion. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                        3) Weir/Shep alone scenes: First off, Weir is really naive and dumb to go into a room with someone de-evolving into a Wraith/life sucking bug without some sort of protection. I love the woman, but come on! They have a lot of scenes together, and for all she knows, he'll be dead in only a few days...but neither of them even start to say anything remotely shippy about how they feel.

It's the plot, plus I think she had enough confidence in Sheppard - or maybe didn't want to believe he would 'turn' that badly. But I guess her confidence was confirmed as he didn't kill her, just knocked her into the wall! Cough coiugh./

7) The Last Scene: So John's apologizing for maybe being out of character...but he didn't go to Weir, whom he tried to choke. So this means that kissing the woman that you have found attractive since Day One is out of character but strangling your boss isn't?

I saw that as just a matter of time on the show. I'm sure he did apologize for throttling her; probably was mortified when he remembered doing that as that was definitely a violent, potentially murderous act, while with Teyla, he kissed her, albeit rather aggressively and without her permission. Two totally different animals.
                        I see what you mean. I'm sure that he had a lot of time to think about what he wanted to say while lying in that hospital bed, so he probably had to make the apology rounds once he got out. Hmm...I think I smell a fanfiction opportunity!

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

I'm liking this ep. Shep dueling one handed? AWESOME. Joe was frikkin' FANTASTIC in this ep.

The Kiss. Very not shippy. Rachel did a great job with Teyla's reaction. But Shep kissed her because he was going primal,right? so does that mean he has repressed feelings for her, or did he just smooch her because his hormones were going wild and she happened to be the closest female?

One little nitpick: he was supposed to be going backwards, not forwards on the evolutionary scale, right? So how come he started becoming a bug? Humans, at least the ones from our galaxy, don't have any Iratus bug DNA in them, right? I suppose he could have gotten it from his origional contact with the bug in 38 Min., or from Ellia in Instinct.

(Most of these things have probably been covered, but I only have abou 5 min online- not enough time to read entire thread)
                          YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

I liked the jokes, the kisses, the fights, the drama, the action. It had it all!!! It is finally back to Atlantis as usual, exciting!!

Comment

I just posted on the Teyla Appreciation Thread with my thoughts on the kiss. If people want to see how a person can intrepret the kiss as anything but passion, please follow this link:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...56#post4497156

It's a really loooooong post, with links to pictures to illustrate my points. If you're interested, check it out. At the end, whether you agree with me or not, I believe we can *all* agree on one thing. That I obviously have too much time on my hands.

Wanna sig? Ask me. I'll probably make you one.
                              I would also like it noted that in The Long Goodbye,
                              Spoiler:
                              Weir asked John to be her husband, and he said yes!! HA!!! LOL!

Comment

Just thought of a mistake in "Conversion". This episode takes place immediately after "Instinct" (like, minutes later). When they get back to base, though, only McKay and Sheppard are brought to the hospital, with Rodney only in there for a splinter. Teyla was thrown unconscious by Elia, probably with a concussion and a nasty gash on the head to boot...so where was she?

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Working...
                                X