The Intruder (202)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arative
    I really enjoyed this episode, found myself laughing my butt off a few times. I can say that I was entertained by it, which is what I expect from a tv show I watch.
    Hermiod is actually the first Asgard I really like because he seems to have a bit of personality, swearing under his breath, shows some emotion. Gotta love that crap line, I was cracking up.

Minor Spoiler for SG-1 below

The time line between shows I think is about 3 weeks apart or so. I think they said 18 days from Atlantis to Earth or maybe they had been in hyperspace for 18 days and they were two days from Atlantis. So lets say 20 days one way. Lets assume that they left Atlantis 4 days after the end of Siege 3, enough time to repair the Daedalus. They were a month on Earth and then 20 days back to Atlantis. So thats a total of 85 days, using a 31 day month. Now Avalon part 1, several months had passed since the end of season 8 and the Daedalus left during Avalon part 1, so at the most, SGA and SG1 are about 20 days apart. Thats assuming a couple of weeks didn't pass during Avalon part 2. Or I could be way off and I just wasted a perfectly good paragraph!!!

Hm ok. I thought Daniel's complaining about the Daedalus leaving was its first trip out, to save Atlantis' collective asses. Him missing the return trip makes much more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Bartlett
      Did anyone else notice that the actor who was Narim on SG-1 was also Dr. Weir's husband?
      Just. Cries.

Comment

Originally posted by Excali5033
        Hm ok. I thought Daniel's complaining about the Daedalus leaving was its first trip out, to save Atlantis' collective asses. Him missing the return trip makes much more sense.
        It could have been but I assumed that they wouldn't have sent Daniel to fight the Wraith because what could he have added? And would they have waited for him to pack before leaving for Atlantis? I figured they'd load the Daedalus with weapons and miltary personnel and set off straight to Atlantis, since they had a limited amount of time to save thier asses. I got the feeling from watching SG-1 that it was a several months had passed after Seige 3.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I'd love to see Garwin Sanford become a semi-regular on Atlantis just because I like his acting. Maybe not show up this season but show up next season with his new lady in Atlantis, even though I'm not that into 'ship, it would humanize Wier more to see how she dealt with it. But more than likely, we'll never see Simon again.

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Bartlett
          Did anyone else notice that the actor who was Narim on SG-1 was also Dr. Weir's husband?
          *headdesk* Why, no, us thousands of slavering Stargate fans managed to completely fail to notice something so blatantly obvious!

The ep had some good elements, but there wasn't a heckuva lot new or different about this ep. Other than the specific setting and characters, this isn't anything we haven't seen before.

Comment

Good episode, kind of repetitive though with the whole "We got rid of the wraith virus... Oops, no we didn't"

+Hermy and McKay interaction I absolutely loved! I hope he's in a lot more episodes.
            "How perceptive of you"
            " Crap, indeed"
            Looks like he's been around at least Jack and Teal'c too long

+Daedalus, YAY!

+ "This is what I do with my laptop... turn it off and turn it back on again"- somehow that sounds familiar...

+The Earth flashbacks just completely made the episode, it wouldn't have been that good without them. Although I did get too much Weir/ Simon though... why did they feel the need to fully get him out of the picture? Hmmm... The Sheppard and Ford's cousin scene was really heartbreaking.

+ Loved McKay in the episode

- I would have liked the opening scene with Shep/Weir, but thanks to the infamous hug, I am now tainted with the possibilty of a Shep/Weir ship.
            + I did like Sheppard being so proud of being promoted

- Simon's hair- was he trying to mach Weir's hair, but failed horribly?

- As I mentioned above, it was a bit repetitive.
            Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

THAT WAS AN AWESOME EPISODE!!! Quite possibly my favorite Stargate Atlantis episode so far.
              Daedalus. Wraith Virus. McKay. Hermiod talking to himself in an alien language....Absolutely Hilarious!!!
              And I like the fact that they actually ADMITTED that this was a similar situation to the SG-1 episode Entity.
              It didn't necessarily bother me that Sheppard beamed onto the bridge in a standing position, but I definitely noticed. Chalk it up to Asgard technology being "smart" enough to change his position for him....whatever.
              SierraGulf1: "It may be copying BSG, Entity, Tangent, and all that, but I loved it. Awesome episode."
              There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

I was impressed with Intruder as I thought is was Entity Gone Wild: Wraith Style. They managed to separate it very well, even with the mention to the SG-1 episode.
                First off, Hermiod. He and McKay banter, "Crap indeed", and he and Sheppard. The Asgard has been written to be a season favorite to me!
                The flashbacks to Doctor Weir and the briefing and Earth and Simon...unsettling, but I liked it.
                I feel the ending was rushed, but rushed well. I love them in the F-302, especially Rodney.
                Caldwell/Weir...should be interesting, they seem to clash on many ideas.
                MANY MANY MANY amazing shots of the Deadalus and I love the PG Hypersapce.
                I love that they kinda evolved Weir's character more and the Simon thing was a good twist. I had no idea they were gonna use him as a candidate for Atlantis.
                HOWEVER, the month that had passed did not seem so explained. I would like to have learned more about damage assessment and the like. I was rather mad they did not explain the "interesting finds" the ZPM had enabled. Next week I hope.
                8/10. Less dark compared to what the season is looking like, with good scenes and humor. Flashbacks used perfectly!

Comment

Like I said in the episode thread.

Hermie OWNS!

When he had a stare down with Shep, I could immagine the borders thinning down to just their eyes then they do some cheesy OTT martial arts moves.

But I'm just sad and have an overactive immagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative
                    The time line between shows I think is about 3 weeks apart or so. I think they said 18 days from Atlantis to Earth or maybe they had been in hyperspace for 18 days and they were two days from Atlantis. So lets say 20 days one way. Lets assume that they left Atlantis 4 days after the end of Siege 3, enough time to repair the Daedalus. They were a month on Earth and then 20 days back to Atlantis. So thats a total of 85 days, using a 31 day month. Now Avalon part 1, several months had passed since the end of season 8 and the Daedalus left during Avalon part 1, so at the most, SGA and SG1 are about 20 days apart. Thats assuming a couple of weeks didn't pass during Avalon part 2. Or I could be way off and I just wasted a perfectly good paragraph!!!
                    I think your reckoning must be just about right, but, to be honest, I'm just not that concerned about reconciling the timeline between the two shows, or exactly how much time passed between one episode and another.

There's nothing about it that has jolted me out of the story yet. I was suprised that it had been 2 months, but I immediately absorbed it and went on.
                    ~*~*~*~*~*
                    not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

I LOVE HERMIE. . .Someone make him a reg!

Everyone was very good in this episode. McKay had to watch a friend die (he DOES have a heart. .I know it is in there somewhere). Poor Shep has been forgiven for the Sumner incident, but now he has Ford eating at his conscience. Guy just can't get a break. Caldwell is a hardhead. .and jealous of job assignments as well. This could get interesting.

And Weir. . .Torri just gets better and better - I really enjoy this character now. Some folks have had complaints about her telling Simon to move on in LFP, but being upset at his leaving her this episode. As one who has been through almost the same type of relationship, you know what you need to do, but when the time comes, it still hurts. That final, face-to-face "let go" is the hardest step to take. There have been a lot of arguments in the forum about whether or not TPTB can write women well. In this case they did an excellent job.

My one BIG complaint - in SG1, every time someone got a promotion, a big deal was made of it, but we only hear Sheppard has been promoted in a very brief moment. Then, when Shep is visiting Ford's family, he is still is not in uniform. We are now in season 2, but have never seen Shep in "Dress." Does the Wardrobe Dept. not have an Air Force uniform that fits Flanigan?

One more thing. .in one of the 302's. .did I see a rubber ducky??
                      Last edited by FoolishPleasure; 22 July 2005, 08:36 PM.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Not as action-packed as last week, but still a very enjoyable episode as far as I was concerned. I did have two minor picking points. One: the conversation between Shep and Weir at the beginning made me go, "They were on Earth? Aw, I wanted to *see* that!" And two: when I saw who all was with them, I was going, "Who the heck is watching Atlantis?!" Happily, point one was soon resolved with the flashbacks (Good move, writers!) and hubby solved point two by saying "Czech guy's in charge" and sure enough he was (Nice job, Hubby!)

I also had a moment of disquiet when I realized what plot was based around, an idea we've seen in sci-fi before, and that was largely because from what I've seen in the past, "Stargate" writers don't do well when they retread ideas. However, this time they actually managed to realize the concept behind T.S. Eliot's quote, "Good poets borrow. Great poets steal." by revitalizing the plot through their execution and usage of "Atlantis'" characters. The dark, horror element I like about "Atlantis" was back, especially in the scene where Lindstrom gets sucked out the air lock, and the dynamics between Sheppard and McKay were as fun to watch as ever. Also, Weir is starting to come alive for me, after being a cypher for so much of the first season, and both Caldwell and Hermiod proved to be welcome additions/wrinkles. Nicely done!

My absolute favorite part of this episode though was how once again there was a good balance between forward-moving plot and developing character moments. The flashback where Shep visits Ford's cousin was probably my favorite character bit. I love that the writers haven't neglected the emotional implications of what happened to Ford. I hope they manage to keep that up in the future.

All in all, a good ep with a nice twist on an old plot with some lovely character moments and some excellent horror. Also, some great lines, (Hermy's dialogue, Shep's line about being uncomfortable with taking a page out of the John Sheppard book on computer repair) and some funny expressions (McKay waiting for transport). The only thing I'm not comfortable with is the idea that the writers might be trying to force some ship on us. I felt they were a little obvious this ep (As my hubby said when Simon spoke to Weir, "Don't worry, Liz. You'll be banging Sheppard before the season's over." God, if my hubby sees it... ) and if they're going to do ship, I really prefer them to be subtle. But who knows? I liked John/Aeryn in "Farscape" and Odo/Kira in "Deep Space Nine." Maybe ship will work well here as well. I hope!

Ship aside, I was very happy that the reason Shep got promoted was that Weir went to bat for him. When they had that conversation at the front, both hubby and I had a problem with how quickly he got promoted, even if they'd been back on Earth for a month. (Air Force officers get promoted by boards that have to convene and deliberate for weeks; then don't announce their results for months). Seeing the flashback with Weir, Landry and Caldwell solved that though. Must be nice to have someone with the President's ear batting for you. Makes me wish it worked that way in real life. It would certainly make our lives easier.
                        "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

Wow, great episode. Things I liked:

- Hermiod out-McKaying McKay! "It's a virus!" "How perceptive of you."
                          - Sheppard loving his new rank so much.
                          - The resynchronization of SG-1 and SGA. Hopefully people's heads will stop exploding now.
                          - Just 18 days to cross galaxies even without a ZPM? Nice job, Daedalus.
                          - The F302 dogfight.
                          - More insight into Dr. Weir. I'm actually starting to care about her.
                          - The graphic horror of Linstrom getting sucked into space. Way to drive home the dire straits the virus put the crew in.
                          - I liked that Teyla was left in charge of Atlantis. With Weir and Shep gone, she's the logical choice, and it's good to see that she's not "the alien liason" anymore, she's being recognized more as the natural leader she was introduced as.
                          - Sheppard informing Ford's cousin about his absence. I like that although Rainbow isn't a regular, Ford is still actively being kept alive in the series, as he would be if the Atlantis expedition lost one of their members in such a tragic way. You really get the sense that as soon as Shep's foot touches back down in the Pegasus galaxy, finding Ford will be his sole mission in life.

Things I didn't like:

- Hmm... no, not really coming up with anything. It was wrapped up a bit too conveniently, but even that wasn't really bad. The flashbacks broke the flow a bit, but not to a horrible extent, and they were a great B-plot. All in all, a very good show.
                          Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                          Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                          Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                          Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                            One more thing. .in one of the 302's. .did I see a rubber ducky??
                            Not sure it was rubber and it could have been a chick or a ducky but it was definitly a little toy of some kind. Nice little detail.

Herme rules. I liked his fit after the 2nd reboot failed.
                            Landry was an azclown, glad he isnt that bad on SG-1.
                            Glad we wont here about Simon again, but wheres Wiers Dog?
                            I feel bad for Fords family but his cousin was giving up on him uncharacteristically soon, most familys of MIAs that I have experience with hold out hope long, long after it is truely gone.
                            Weir did good nice strong leader sticking up for her guys
                            Mckay always does good (I like how he said Air..person when talking to the tech in the engineering room).
                            Sheppard was good (and rebooting always does work).
                            Caldwell was good (he does his job).
                            Carson was good (he was just there but he was good at just being there)

I was not a big fan of Entity but I really liked this ep. B+

I still want to know the stinking timeline though!!!!
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Everything's synched again. SGA was a month behind SG-1 but they've since caught back up to each other since Sheppard's apparently been a Lt. Col. for a month now.

Oh, I thought of something else I didn't like: Why the hell can't Sheppard figure out that he's supposed to answer when people call him the first time? Weir and Caldwell both had to snap him out of his stupor in the 302s by calling his name 3 times.
                              Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                              Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                              Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                              Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Staring sunward in space without massive polarization is a good way to fry your eyeballs and go blind. My understanding of the subject is admittedly wavery and I know allowances have to be made so that we can see the actors doing their thing, but it still seemed pretty dodgy.

Ford: Do we know anything about Ford's parents? If they have a military link it could be why the cousin was so quick to give up. Whatever the reason, there seemed to be a little more to it than just, "He's probably dead, so just say so." I read it as an accusatory kind of attitude, the kind one gets from experience.

LOVED Zelenka at the end. But I always love Zelenka. His hopeless puppydog crush on Weir is adorable to watch. In the rare moments when there IS some of it to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X