No announcement yet.

The Intruder (202)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While rewatching the show, it made me think of this question. How come all suns that they have are yellow? I believe there are diffierent color of suns. Even in scifi, if they want to have the character in trouble with a sun, it is always yellow.

Comment

Good question. There are, in fact, some stars which would be much worse to encounter than the G-type we're familiar with here on Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
        While rewatching the show, it made me think of this question. How come all suns that they have are yellow? I believe there are diffierent color of suns. Even in scifi, if they want to have the character in trouble with a sun, it is always yellow.
        Technically, the black hole they encountered on SG-1 once represents another giant star. Only stars over a certain size collapse into black holes.

But yeah, they should feature more types of stars. The only reason they don't, I imagine, is because it'd be more expensive. I'd love an episode built around a red giant that's about to collapse into a white dwarf though.
        Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
        Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
        Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
        Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
          1. The gates link "human-compatible" worlds (see: terraforming pines).
          2. In lack of non-yellow suns SG-1 made one themselves in S5E5 (Red Sky)

Comment

I haven't seen this mentioned and am starting to wonder if it's just me! If it has been mentioned then I apologize... but did anybody else get a "Top Gun" feeling when Sheppard was in the dog fight with the other F-302...

"I'll hit the brakes and he'll fly right by..." Lt. Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun
            "Hold on... we're just gonna tap on the brakes here" - Lt. Col. John Sheppard - Atlantis

Did nobody else pick up on this?

Ace
            "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
              Did nobody else pick up on this?
              Oh, only 90% of the viewing public. The remaining 10% haven't seen the movie, so wouldn't get the reference.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                Oh, only 90% of the viewing public. The remaining 10% haven't seen the movie, so wouldn't get the reference.
                Ok...good! I hadn't seen anybody else mention it... though to be honest I haven't really *tried* to look

When I was watching that scene... I couldn't believe they stole it from Top Gun. I was actually smiling and thinking to myself... "Hit the brakes and fly right by"

Ace
                "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

This other guy they were going to send to Atlantis before Weir put her foot down... Could they have been talking about Mitchell?

Comment

Originally posted by Beal
                    This other guy they were going to send to Atlantis before Weir put her foot down... Could they have been talking about Mitchell?
                    No. It's pretty obvious they were considering assigning Col. Caldwell to be the senior officer in charge at Atlantis.

Guess he got the Daedalus instead. Of course, he seems to be sticking around Atlantis anyway. But officially, even though he outranks Sheppard, he is in command of the ship, not the forces in the city.

Comment

Why would they have been talking about Mitchell in the first place? Mitchell requested a post on SG-1, not Atlantis. Landry'd have to be a huge jerk to pull Mitchell off his dream post in order to head Atlantis' military contingent.
                      Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                      Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                      Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                      Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

I just saw intruder, I thought it was really good, better than I expected because alot of ppl were saying it was boring. I really liked the scenes where Sheppard was intimidated by the asgard and the action bit near the end with the fighter planes. It wasn't as good as entity but nearly as good, but I couldn't understand why the captain of the ship was so bothered about coming out of hyperdrive when the cloak could be used to disguise the ship from the wraith. That must be possible if one from a puddle jumper can be used to cover atlantis.
                        sigpic

Comment

I read the transcript and it sounded like a very interesting and different episode.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Intruder was a great episode. I especially like Hermiod (The Asgard onboard the Deadelus). I loved Sheppards interaction with him. The guy that they were talking about to take the Head military position in Atlantis wasn't Mitchell, it was Caldwell. I'm glad that they promoted Sheppard, I just love his character. McKay was funny in this episode especially when him and Sheppard were being beamed into the Fighter Bay.
                            *AtlantisFan*

McKay: Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried.
                            Sheppard: I shot him.... In the leg.

Ford: How can something as big as Atlantis just sink?
                            Sheppard: I'm sure the passengers on the Titanic were asking themselves the same question?!

McKay: You're right- if only we had a magical tool that could slow down time. I foolishly left mine on Earth - did you bring yours?

McKay: I will try, but despite what you all may think, I am not Superman

Comment

I posted this in another thread, but it occurs to me that it might be more appropriate here.

Let's see if I've got this straight:

* Daedalus is infected with an ALIEN computer virus.
                              * The virus is sentient.
                              * The virus manages to infect a completely alien (to it) computer system, even though the systems themselves are probably hybrids of Earth/Asgard tech.
                              * The virus can be destroyed... by turning all onboard systems off?

Now, I won't pretend to be a computer virus expert, but given what I know about Earth-based viruses:

* Viruses that infect Windows-based computers rarely affect Macs because the two operate on an entirely different source code (as well as a million other little differences).
                              * Viruses, however virulent, are not intelligent/self-aware.
                              * Viruses NEVER disappear just because someone turns their computer off. Ye gods, if it were that simple, viruses wouldn't even be an issue.

In fact, sometimes turning a computer off can make things WORSE. That's why when computers are discovered which are linked to a crime, they are NEVER turned off- because all the data on them (and any possible clues) could be lost if, say, the perpetrator has set up a "bomb" in the system.

If an Earth-based, fairly dumb (generally speaking) computer virus can't be "killed" by shutting down a computer, then why would a super-intelligent, super-adaptible, able to infect tall starships in a single bound computer virus fall victim to it? How stupid can you get?

And how likely is it that not one, but TWO different super-intelligent blah blah blah viruses/entities from two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT alien species would BOTH fall victim to the same idiotic solution?

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that the crew of the Daedalus didn't just reboot, they wiped everything, reloaded and THEN rebooted. But that still seems too easy. And if it didn't work the first time, if the virus was INTELLIGENT, don't you think it would find a way to save itself from a second attack of the exact same kind? Or at the very least, wouldn't it try and find a way to take the ship with it when it dies?
                              Last edited by ShadowMaat; 14 August 2005, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat

Let's see if I've got this straight:

* Daedalus is infected with an ALIEN computer virus.
                                * The virus is sentient.
                                Okay, here's the .02cents worth of a computer nimnull:

Was the virus sentient? I don't recall anyone discussing sentience in Intruder. I could have missed that in the rapid-fire exposition....

* The virus manages to infect a completely alien (to it) computer system, even though the systems themselves are probably hybrids of Earth/Asgard tech.
                                Well, this is just part of the reality of the whole Stargate universe. Perhaps it's not consistent with real world physics(is that even the right field? ) but it is consistent with both series, so, acceptable suspension of disbelief, for me.

Also, the virus was uploaded long before it started to show visible effects on the system. If it wasn't sentient it may have been a smart virus that needed time to learn and adjust. And who knows, maybe advanced civilisations have some kind of universal computer code translator, like the Star Trek Universal (language) Translator.

* The virus can be destroyed... by turning all onboard systems off?
                                AND rebooting with the unaffected backup operating system. I do distinctly remember Rodney saying that. Each time they shut down they would have restarted with a backup that had not, at any time, been connected to the affected systems. There ought to be a large number of such backups for each system on board.
                                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Working...
                                X