The Intruder (202)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfbooy
    Why am I not surprised to see this response?
    Because you've gotten similar responses in the past and you've come to expect it?
    Again, not so ancient, your need to try to invalidate my own opinion simply says more about you and how you feel about Atlantis than anything I could have written.
    Wrong. I am not trying to invalidate your opinion. I neither said, nor implied, that you don't have a right to your opinion. I simply disagree with your opinions, stated why, and stated my own views. As is my right.

If you require no challenge to your opinions, talk to a mirror. The rest of us have minds of our own.

Also, I would fully expect that my remarks would 'say' something about me. That's practically tautological.
    Where does your need for everyone to absolutely enjoy every single aspect of the show come from?
    Wrong. I have no such need. I don't require that everyone, or anyone, enjoy every aspect of Atlantis. That is simply false. I don't enjoy everything about it myself. There are many people who more or less dislike Atlantis who express that view every day around here. Sometimes I comment on their observations, sometimes not.
    And what exactly is your objection to a dissenting opinion being expressed?
    Wrong. I do not object to your opinion existing, or being expressed. You made public remarks, and as such, they're fair game for people saying that they agree, or disagree, or don't understand, or think you're funny, etc.

In this case, I disagreed with it, and see flaws in the premises upon which it is based. This is permitted. Nothing extraordinary or objectionable has happened here.

If you're going to indulge in wild shippy inferences, or snap judgments about characters who have had maybe 7 minutes screentime, then please don't be shocked, shocked! that someone might disagree.
    Disagreements are one thing, discussion would be welcome, but you simply resort to attacking me rather than refuting what I say.
    Wrong. I did not personally attack you. I disagreed and discussed my reasons for disagreement. In some cases, I was sarcastic.

I did, indeed, refute some things you said, and others, I just dismissed with 'moving on'.
    Can you offer no better defense of Atlantis? And no, that is not an invitation for you to continue to ramble on about how unfair, prejudiced, and (at least in your mind) wrong my thoughts on Intruder are.
    Atlantis needs no defense. It is, and will continue to be, appreciated by many viewers. I think that viewing Atlantis as merely an extension of SG-1 is unfortunate, said so, and that's that. It doesn't matter whether you're unfair, fair, accurate, wrong, forgiving, critical, etc. of Atlantis. It's only your opinion, but as your opinion, you've got every right to it. The thing is, others have a right to disagree with your opinion. Evidently, this is upsetting to you. That, too, is unfortunate.
    And please, don't delude yourself into thinking that my appreciation for SG-1 extends as far as your apparently undying, irresolute, oft-expressed love of every single aspect of Atlantis.
    At a minimum, I think you should look up irresolute.

It would also be good if you didn't make false statements.
    I've taken more than my fair share of digs at SG-1 for what I percieve as missteps. And yes, all shows have them, even Atlantis. Ultimately, I can't grasp why you seem to be constantly ashamed of Atalantis' origins.
    Constantly ashamed of Atlantis' origins?

I had to read that three times.

That's .... hilarious. Really. Thank you. I may print that out.
    Either way, next time, spare me your petulant, immature, and, let's face it, woefully inadequate personal attacks. You're not going to change my opinion of Atlantis, and I was never trying to change yours.
    Unless you're writing with a finger of fire on a tablet at Mt. Sinai, I've got every right to disagree with you. Please deal, accordingly.

Your opinions have been expressed. My opinions have been expressed. There is no problem here. Your indignance is noted, and will be taken under advisement.
    ~*~*~*~*~*
    not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

I'll have to post this into 2 parts...
      Stargate's music...
      ...loved the powerful crescendo bit during the last F-302 dogfight sequence...

Some of Joel's musical sequences are absolutely beautiful. There's a few favorites from SG-1, and I've heard some of those carried over into SG:A.

One of my favorites is what I've associated with the Jaffa Free music (from SG-1's Reckoning and Threads, heard when Bratac and Teal'c were discussing about the Jaffa finally being freed from the tyranny of the Goa'uld). I'm glad to hear it used in SG:A, because it is a lovely melancholic (mostly minor key) piece that just draws the listener deeper into the plot. It was heard at the beginning of the episode, when "previously seen on Atlantis..." clips were rehashed.

If those of us whom the Sci-Fi channel has jipped out of hearing the THEME intro songs, I for one have tried to adjust to accepting the sometimes seen-

"Previously seen on Atlantis..." (intro) clips

now as being the main *pull* me into the story intro. That and any preview commercials aired during the week. If the old way of showing the ENTIRE program will no longer be there, then until the DVDs come out, this will have to suffice as a meager substitute. (*very deep sigh*)

But sometimes those introductory "previously seen" clips aren't shown at the beginning of an episode; so without any intro pieces, the main intro music that binds the whole enchalata together ends up in limbo. The (associated sort of with) Jaffa Free musical piece is a powerful theme... I hope it stays with both SG programs.

rant: As for the shortened, blink -and it's gone- intro, the original theme music is speeded up in both SG-1 and SG:A. Gosh, that's more like displaying a title advertisement going into a commercial break. And no, I don't feel it's fair that BSG gets to keep their new intro (which definitely has more preview theme clips), especially considering that SG:A and BSG are now *both* in their 2nd Season. Fair is fair, and that isNOT equal treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7, at post # 34:
        The flying sequence was fantastic. iT's the one Martin Gero was gushing about. It rocked.
        When the Air Force is engaged in enemy target hunting, that's usually how they fly in formation (they also do such multiple flips, spins and turning displays during air-show purposes), and also engage in tight sideways turns around tight (mountainous terrain) spots {hope that's about right}. Except in this case, it was totally open space and the AI virus on board the F-302 was matching Sheppard's maneuvers to either target it to blow it up, or what?

At first, I thought the AI was attempting lock a bomb target or ram itself into Sheppard's space jet, but when Shep pulled on the brakes, the AI went into self preservation mode and squeaked up and over, instead. I thought it was *cool* that everyone (including Sheppard) initially forgot about the stray, AI infested F-302, and that it was stealthily following the Daedalus.

Originally posted by Elizabeth Bartlett, at post # 44:
        Did anyone else notice that the actor who was Narim on SG-1 was also Dr. Weir's husband?
        Actually, I think he's just her boyfriend, since he never asked for a divorce. Plus, even tho nowadays this might not mean much, they both have different last names: Dr. Elizabeth Weir vs. Dr. Simon Wallace. The impression I got from "Rising" (which the scenes got completely snipped out from the 2nd air date, and after) and "Letters From Pegasus" was that they weren't totally attached by marriage.

Originally posted by Elizabeth Bartlett, at post # 44:
        I loved McKay's reaction when they were inside one of the F-302's. He sounded like he's a little claustrophobic.
        Between that and his potential sunburn, he's just a perpetual worry-wart!
        I think this is reinforcement proof that he's also highly claustrophobic, since he's already
        Spoiler:
        panicked with a limited supply of oxygen in his spacesuit, and had a bout with some phobia from leaving the puddle jumper at the weapon's station in "Siege," part 1.

Plus, not just when Rodney was inside the F-302 and getting space sick,
        "I thought (you said) this thing had inertial dampeners!"

but also when he *scrunched* down (as already mentioned) for beaming transport -Shep had that irresistible look of-
        "McKay... *that* really isn't necessary... McKay! (this is embarrassing!) okay...I don't know you, Rodney (you big baby!)..."

Yes, the "McShep" interaction was totally terrific!
        Last edited by SGalisa; 24 July 2005, 09:25 AM. Reason: expanded air-show clarification

Comment

Um, ShadowMaat?

I'm female. Not a 'him.'

I know you're not reading this but maybe someone will nudge you in the ribs.

As long as I'm here, I'll hint to you what GolfBooy said is a gross mischaracterization.

But you can, and will, conveniently ignore that too.

I don't put you on ignore, ShadowMaat, because every time I make a little comment to you, I get lovely Green Jello. And there's always room for Jello! You're missing out!
          ~*~*~*~*~*
          not so ancient

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

I think McKay IS a bit claustrophobic. He had the same hyperventilate-y "how much air do I have??" reaction in his space suit in the first part of Siege.

Loved Shep's reaction to it. "You're right. Air IS limited. So don't talk. AT ALL." LOL!

Comment

So... ShadowMaat,
              re: Siege -air supply reinforcement
              should I leave my "spoiler" tags in for older eps, or can they be removed? ...or just leave them in anyway, for formatting effect?

Not sure what exactly is the correct protocol on here.
              *thanks*

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I think McKay IS a bit claustrophobic. He had the same hyperventilate-y "how much air do I have??" reaction in his space suit in the first part of Siege.

Loved Shep's reaction to it. "You're right. Air IS limited. So don't talk. AT ALL." LOL!
                Was it me, or did Rodney seem to find John's last nerve this episode..? He looked really pissed off, to be honest. Normally that scene would have seen a litany of snarks being fired in each direction until someone was caught short. This time John just snapped and Rodney obeyed...it feels a bit weird to be honest...

I honestly don't think anyone else would get away with telling Rodney so plainly, to shut up though...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa
                  So... ShadowMaat,
                  re: Siege -air supply reinforcement
                  should I leave my "spoiler" tags in for older eps, or can they be removed? ...or just leave them in anyway, for formatting effect?
                  Within ep discussion threads, I think it's taken as a given that folks watching S2 have probably seen S1. However, in other parts of the board, it's good to tag things.

Not sure on the protocol for eps earlier in the current season. I think the same rule applies. If you're posting about ep X, chances are you've seen eps U, V, and W, too.

Future eps are another kettle of carp altogether and DO need to be tagged.

Comment

Just a quick reminder that this is a thread to discuss the episode Intruder and not the place to air personal grudges. And while there are a variety of opinions expressed in here lets try to actually debate said opinions and not belittle or disregard them just because you (general you) don't agree with them. Thanks.

Shipperahoy
                    Gateworld Moderator

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee:
                      Was it me, or did Rodney seem to find John's last nerve this episode..? ...Normally that scene would have seen a litany of snarks being fired in each direction until someone was caught short.
                      Nahhh. I think Shep just took a *huge* advantage of the moment, and found another *great* way to having Rodney shut up. So, Shep sarcastically took advantage of what Rodney said, and just went with it. One of those few moments, Rodney also realizes he can't (or shouldn't) snark anything back.

My husband is that way with his "good" natured friends (of like snarky minds). They snark on each other until one gets the other cornered into running out of snarking back, which usually results in the last person either saying "oouch!" or "oooooO!"

(can't spell it, but the word in fencing pronounced "tu-shay": touchee?)

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa
                        (can't spell it, but the word in fencing pronounced "tu-shay": touchee?)
                        Touché.

I had to get into Microsoft Word to find the e with the little accent, and copy and paste it here. I hope the accent is going the right way. I have next to no knowledge of French!

So I'd just say "Ooooouch!" instead of "Touché!" just because I'm lazy.
                        ~*~*~*~*~*
                        not so ancient

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                          Another great episode but does it bother anyone else when Shep's beamed from the 302 in a sitting position he arrives on the bridge standing?
                          Yes, it botherd me too.

And i have to add even though practically everyone else has said it. Hermoid was hilarious. "Crap indeed"

And im glad we got to see Dr. Weir with a backbone and sticking it to the man. To often weve seen her just roll over for other people. Mckay was back in full swing. It seemed like i never stopped watching him every friday night and laughing constantly.

Comment

I loved this episode! Shep and McKay were hilarious: when they were getting ready to be beamed into the hanger bay and McKay scrunched down and the look Shep gave him; when they were holded up in the 302 and Shep holds up his finger to shut McKay up.

I also loved the scene where Shep and Hermiod are looking at each other. I hope there are other interactions throughout the season.

I also loved where Dr. Weir held her own with the men. Especially when she told General Landry that he really didn't want to mess with her.

I was disappointed that they didn't show Shep's promotion ceremony.

Comment

Great episode. Very enjoyable. I loved McKay's interaction with Hermiod, and his transporter stance was hilarious. I also liked his "Airperson, don't be there." Speaking of which, there sure are some pretty airwomen on the Deadalus.

The scene with John and Aiden's Cousin was nicely handled.

-IMF
                              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
                                Touché.

I had to get into Microsoft Word to find the e with the little accent, and copy and paste it here. I hope the accent is going the right way. I have next to no knowledge of French!

So I'd just say "Ooooouch!" instead of "Touché!" just because I'm lazy.
                                Alt + 1, 3, 0 gives you the accented "e." It's one of the only ASCII codes I've memorized, since the "é" comes up often.

Shep beaming from a sitting position to a standing one was pretty odd. I was hoping they'd have beamed him aboard in the sitting position so that he fell. That would've been funny. Although I suppose they've gotta keep an eye on how many transporter jokes they make, what with McKay's goofy stance and all. Otherwise, they might have to rename SGA to "Fun With Transporters."
                                Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                                Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                                Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                                Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Working...
                                X