Instinct (207)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy
    (and why does he have sword all of sudden? Did I miss an episode?).
    I thought I was the only one that noticed! Woo.

And in un-releated (to ronon) picture thingo:

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by macktheknife
      And in un-releated (to ronon) picture thingo:

Puppy!!!!

Har!

Comment

I liked the face of Ronon when he asked about following orders. From my particular point of view, he doesn't bloody care about orders really, he was just more worried in leaving Teyla alone, rather than in disobbeying, but he used the excuse of the order not to admit it And BTW, he saved shep's life.

Poor little girl? well, sort of. She sucks her father's life, according to my father nowadays boys do that all the time, so I can forgive that. Which is not so correct is the "Oh I'm so sorry" attitude, because after all, she feeds on people, and it's not pure instinct, since she plans that, knowing when the other wraith feeds to have a cover.

Another "interpretation" I did from Beckett's face is that he was quite certain the serum wouldn't work, it was just he being polite, that he wouldn't announce it in that moment until he'd be completely sure. Politely though, did talk the old man about his retrovirus.

Teyla tossing of the girl? martial arts such as judo are about seizing the opponents strenght to your own benefit. Strength is not all.

I find funny the disregard of McKay to other science disciplines that it's not his specialty, hehe, I recall he once called medicine voodoo or something.

Nice ep, much better than SG1

Sabre

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
          Spoiler:
          She dies? I read in the ep thread it wasn't shown if she died. Did she definitly die?
          I thought for sure that was what happened off screen.
          I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre
            I find funny the disregard of McKay to other science disciplines that it's not his specialty, hehe, I recall he once called medicine voodoo or something.

Nice ep, much better than SG1

Biology/medicine are not real sciences anyway (way too qualitative...coming from a physicist here).

I liked this episode but I also enjoyed SG-1 greatly this week.

Have we seen any other female wraith in the past other than the wraith queen? What function do they serve in the Wraith society (are they just breeders?)

I think it's pretty clear that the dark color just means that she is turning into the bug (and losing her humanity completely). There was no need, in my opinion, for them to explicitly mention it.
            I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Hold on, hold on, hold on. There's something that I don't get.

How come the father says "This was part of a mine before THE LAST CULLING?"

This implies a couple of things IMHO:

-He knew the concept of wraith, he needed no explanation, Wraith, weren't a legend for him as seemed to be for his own father or the villagers, so where did he get this info from?

-Last culling implies that he knows that they not only cull but they do it periodically

Theories?

a) Plot Hole? (I don't think so)

b) The info was provided by her daughter that not only knows where and when the other wraith is culling but more info provided by the telepathy

YOur explanations please!

Sabre

Comment

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy
                I'm of two minds with this one. It was a good story, but there were far too many character discrepancies for me. I don't like where they're taking McKay's character this season. Halfway through the first season the writers were beginning to tone down his arrogance and annoying-ness and making him more of a heroic man-of-action guy (while still remaining McKay), and now it looks like he's going back the other way. Don't care for that. I like actual character development in my characters.
                I do agree - I think that makes two of us. I've wondered if it wasn't pressure from TPTB at Scifi that directed this? Whatever the reason, I do not believe we'll see the quasi-heroic McKay of season one again - or the clever Sheppard/McKay banter.

Comment

For some reason I just didn't like this episode, and although I've watched it twice I still haven't figured out why - I liked the concept, a Wraith girl raised as a human ... but something about it just didn't like. Perhaps it was the pacing... I'm still trying to put my finger on it. McKay seemed oddly out of character, which I could accept as being a consequence from the last episode, but it didn't seem like it had damaged him in the way I imagined.

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn Mallory
                    Biology/medicine are not real sciences anyway (way too qualitative...coming from a physicist here).

I liked this episode but I also enjoyed SG-1 greatly this week.

Have we seen any other female wraith in the past other than the wraith queen? What function do they serve in the Wraith society (are they just breeders?)

I think it's pretty clear that the dark color just means that she is turning into the bug (and losing her humanity completely). There was no need, in my opinion, for them to explicitly mention it.
                    *laughing so hard she's crying* Having recently completed a PhD in Biochemistry with a fairly hefty biological component, I can say with complete certainty: "codswallop"
                    Been anywhere near a biological research lab lately have you?

Originally posted by Shadowmaat
                    But seriously, didn't the SGC find a way to make a synthetic version of tretonin that didn't involve ground up snakes? So... they should be able to do the same for the wraith drug. In theory.
                    Actually, I don't think it's that simple.... (keeping in mind this is all a TV show ). The Goa-uld are parastical, they have a physical/biological bond to the host, it's certainly possible to envision how they could become emeshed in the host nervous system. That physical presence, or more accurately, the biological conseqences of that presence can be simulated - boost their immune system, give them replacement drugs etc. Kinda like your thyroid going nutso and taking hormone replacement....However, the Wraith, as presented to us so far, deplete their victims of energy - I don't believe it's they "feed" per se, as in consume some biological component of their victims that could be replicated, more like the suck the energy from them - altho let's not discuss the plausibility of this (I could come up with a few, but they'd be wildly silly ). You can't create a pill or a a drug that could replace that. I do ponder why it has to be humans, if they suck energy, any living species of significant size should be a possible food source...

Comment

Then maybe they can modify their phasers (whatever equivalent stun guns they use) for a "feed a wraith" setting and zap the hunger out of them.

Dunno. I guess I just find the whole "Wraith feed off life-energy" thing to be a little dodgy. It's such a vague concept. And randomly specific. And the whole "humans only" thing seems questionable, but then maybe someone out there can tell me how many species here on Earth subsist on a sole food source.

Comment

Disclaimer: this means to be humour (I'm a computer scientist myself) no mean to offend

Your are Rodney McKay and I claim my five Euros!

So Physics, that whole science that has one big theory for macroscopic events, another big theory for microscopic things, and fails horribly to put both together, ah well

Sabre

Comment

It's unfortunate but I see this episode as having a lot of wasted potential. The basic idea, that being of the Wraith woman living as a human on this planet was good. It's plausible, and interesting.

What I didn't like was how she was transformed with Beckett's retrovirus. The result was a savage beast roaming with rage and power. The transformation robbed her of all humanity, and once that happens, viewers can't relate to her anymore, and don't care so much when she's shot to death.

As it stands, it was only semi-sad. Sad, since we saw her before and it's a shame it had to end this way. Not so sad because she was a beast and wouldn't be able to return to her former life anyway, even if she could be captured.

What if she were still her old self underneath? Wouldn't it have been a much more emotionnal ending had they had to kill a person, not an animal?

Spoiler:

As an example, wasn't it tragic in SG-1 episode 4x05, Divide and Conquer, when Samantha had to kill Martouf, a person we'd come to know and like? That's exactly what I mean.

-Legume
                          Last edited by Legume; 28 August 2005, 06:28 AM. Reason: Spoiler tags
                          Inter Arma, Enim Silent Leges - Cicero

Comment

True. I'd have preferred to see some glimmer of humanity left in her. She could know her father is dead and be furious about it... and blame Beckett. After all, it was HIS retrovirus that changed her, that made her kill her beloved papa. The fact that it was her own fault for taking the sample before it was ready is a moot point, especially in the heat of animalistic fury.

I can see how Beckett shooting her was probably supposed to be an important part of the story, but what if the wraith had attacked him instead and Ellia had killed the wraith so she could kill Beckett herself. She backs him into a corner, snarls "You... killed... Father!" and then McKay shoots her and she turns on him instead when a noise distracts her and she goes screeching off into the forest.

It would have robbed us of the "Beckett is willing to shoot/kill" moment and we'd have missed Rodney being all shaking and paranoid with checking his chest, but it might have made it a little stronger story-wise and would have created some good Beckett angst. Sure, HE knows it isn't his fault, but at the same time... he DID bring the retrovirus to her and he DID leave it unguarded.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater
                              "codswallop"
                              right back at you! Honestly, if the life sciences were a cakewalk, would McKay have washed out of freshman biology? Hence his disdain. We hate what we do not understand.

Me, I've scoffed at the trombone ever since I flunked out of band in fifth grade.

Originally posted by kiwigater
                              However, the Wraith, as presented to us so far, deplete their victims of energy - I don't believe it's they "feed" per se, as in consume some biological component of their victims that could be replicated, more like the suck the energy from them - altho let's not discuss the plausibility of this (I could come up with a few, but they'd be wildly silly ). You can't create a pill or a a drug that could replace that. I do ponder why it has to be humans, if they suck energy, any living species of significant size should be a possible food source...
                              Yeah! Why not a cow? Why not suck the life energies out of a big juicy cow? When the Elia plot was unfolding, I half-expected them to tell us she'd been making do with bunnies and squirrels in the forest (which, admittedly, would have had a lot less dramatic punch than the actual plot...)

The only thing I can think is that it has something to do with the fact that Wraith also seem to absorb information from their victims (when the pink Wraith fed on Sumner, she learned about Earth, yes?) So maybe they find contact with cow minds disturbing? I know I would.

Comment

Well, the Wraith are also telepathic on some level. I'd be more willing to attribute the info gaining to that, especially since she was picking up details before she laid a hand on him.

I'm guessing that having the life sucked out of you is distracting enough for you to drop whatever mental walls you may have constructed to try and shield sensitive info.

Comment

Working...
                                X