No announcement yet.

Instinct (207)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, I must admit that I think this was the best written episode so far. I notice it was 2 female writers. (Yay! GirlPower!) TPTB...please use them again some time!

Jewel was really good as Ellia...starting all sweet and going to downright evil. Best bits for me were Shep whacking McKay on the head (that's been SO long overdue! ), McKay panicking 'cos he thought the Wraith might have touched him and Shep's comment on teenagers and life-sucking! Fab! Quite an emotive episode. Felt sorry for the father, felt sorry for Ellia...I'm surprised I didn't bawl my eyes out!!

Good work from all the cast here...I loved the way the next episode was set up, but a bit surprised it didn't end with the 'to be continued' thingy.

I'm REALLY looking forward to 'Conversion'.

Comment

Well, they don't always end a continuing story-line with the traditional "TO BE CONTINUED." Look at Sg-1's There But For the Grace of God. It was setting up for Politics, Serpent's Lair and Into the Serpent's Grasp, but it didn't end with To Be Continued, and there have been a couple others, too.
      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

I enjoyed this episode, there were some interesting facts regarding the Wraith and the whole episode seemed a bit spooky IMO.

I also enjoyed Beckett going off-world (he should do it more often)

STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
        legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Comment

Jewel was fab. At first it felt lame when she was standing there beside her 'father' while he told his story and I though it cliched, but the good script and excellent acting soon helped the story go beyond the cliches. She did look horribly bug-like at the end. That lobster-hand, urgh!

I didn't like the wraith at first, I felt that they lacked a certain something after the goa'uld and even the replicators, but as the mythology of them has been developed I've become more interested in them. All this stuff about them being a bug-human hybrid, especially with Ford's and Teyla's varying degrees of wraith traits, is really intriguing.

Madeleine

Comment

I have been re-watching Instinct and Conversion, and I noticed that when Ellia feed from 'father' she used her right hand, like most wraith do, but then when she has changed she feed of Shepherd with her left hand.

Was this the result of her biological change; or a programme error?

Comment

The Wraith are ambidextorous (sp!?) they have suckers on both hands.
              There, problem solved

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic Wizard
                I have been re-watching Instinct and Conversion, and I noticed that when Ellia feed from 'father' she used her right hand, like most wraith do, but then when she has changed she feed of Shepherd with her left hand.

Was this the result of her biological change; or a programme error?
                It's probably an inconsistency, but you can go around it by saying that as she turned more and more bug, because the most important thing would be constant feeding, she grew her extra life suckies.
                Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Well, it looks as though almost everything there is to say has already been said about this episode, so as usual I will just have to add something trivial now I have finally seen it. When Beckett asks Rodney, "Why didn't you just radio me?" it really made me laugh, because that is exactly what I have wondered about Beckett in a couple of episodes - in Duet, when he runs up to tell Shep that Rodney and Cadman had been taken by the Dart, and in Siege 3 when Ford leaves the infirmary. Perhaps he has just been on the "radio" training course before this episode?
                  Last edited by Catsitter; 02 July 2006, 11:25 PM.
                  Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

OK, here's my thoughts on this episode:

1. Loved the character interactions and dynamics. McKay was toned down but still funny and still McKay, but you get the feeling that the events of Trinity had an effect on him. There was also some great character interactions between Ellia and her adopted father, and between the pair and the Atlantis team

2. Loved the atmosphere. There was a spooky, suspicious, old-style-horror feel to the ep that worked really well. Definitely the best 'feel' and atmosphere of any ep of season 2 along with Michael, which had a similar feel. The setting was also a great fit with the ep

3. Felt really sorry for Ellia

4. Really, really didn't like the introduction of the retrovirus into the plot of this episode. The episode would have been much, much better off without it. Not only is it really, really bad science, but it distracted from the whole theme of the episode. The episode should have been about the conflict between Ellia's ethics and her feeding, what the SGA team were going to do with her, and what happens when they find out. Instead they took the easy route out and turned her into a monster.

5. So many unanswered questions here that I am really hoping for a sequel, but I'm probably hoping in vain. Why did the Wraith transport crash, and why were they there in the first place? Why wasn't the planet being culled? Ellia would have also been a really great character to explore *crosses fingers and hopes for miracle*

Overall, it's my favorite episode of the season, along with Michael, but could have been much, much better had they left the retrovirus out of it and really explored Ellia's character.

Comment

Just saw the episode in syndication. I was really blown away with Ronon's feelings towards Ellia. Can't wait to see "Conversion".

I give it a 9.5/10.

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
                        Just saw the episode in syndication. I was really blown away with Ronon's feelings towards Ellia. Can't wait to see "Conversion".

I give it a 9.5/10.
                        Sheppard is not quite like himself in Conversion. The insect DNA increased his libido (possibly permanently)... it would have been an interesting plot device if they could have had some sort of possessive of Teyla shep.

It does lead to a plot device now and later though.
                        http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Watched this ep in syndication. Good ep overall. It was good to learn more about Wraiths, and how they develop as they age.

When the team enters the inn, I also got a real, "An American Werewolf in London" feel. I kept looking for a strange symbol on the wall and kept expecting someone to tell the team to leave and "stay off the moors."

Jewel Staite was awesome. I was so glad to see, er, hear her.

The Sheppard head smack of McKay was great!

Did anyone else think it was strange how Sheppard sat on the medical gurney while talking with Beckett and Weir? He's sitting there, straddling the gurney in a very casual, non-professional manner. (I rather liked it myself. ) But it seemed a bit odd to me.

I didn't see Teyla's telling Ronon to sometimes ignore an order as a bad thing. I think it showed Ronon that Sheppard wasn't looking for a brainless soldier who only follows orders--he wants and needs someone who is willing to do the right thing. And if Ronon hadn't shown up, Shep would've been one very sexy dried-up husk.
                          Last edited by Jill_Ion; 01 December 2006, 07:03 PM. Reason: better wording

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                          O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

This episode is so sweet! I feel really bad for Elia's father. Keep a box of tissues nearby while you watch this one.
                            Newbiegater

Save Stargate Sg-1!

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16, NIV

Comment

I loved this episode very much, it was great.... Is one of my many favorites from season 2. Re-saw this episode last night and felt sad for Elia and felt sad when the father dies. and i liked the ending it was a great setup for the next episode.
                              Last edited by teal'c2006; 12 March 2007, 06:11 PM.

http://galaxygate.freeforums.org/index.php
                              Come and join My Doctor Who fourm....
                              http://galactictraveler.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

Decent episode, didn't really think it was all that great.
                                spoilers for unending:
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X