No announcement yet.

Duet (204)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched it again last night and I'll probably watch it again while dealing with laundry and packing and pet supplies and all that stuff today and tonight.

Pointless little points:

- Rodney's wall full of diplomae and stuff totally cracks me up. An attorney I worked with used to call those "'I love me!' walls." Lots of people in law, or politics, both of which are my field, have those. And I snicker every time I see one.

- Details from Rodney's wall: a signed picture of the arm in the cargo bay of the Space Shuttle. Cool.

- That was not Rodney's kitty Jane (from Rising) in the photo at his bedside. Childhood pusskin, perhaps.

- Hello, Ikea much in the Pegasus Galaxy? The desk lamps caught my eye first but I think someone shopped there, big time.

- Also in the way of home furnishings: Cadman had a fracking bowflex, a boxing bag and stuff in her room. I think we're well past that "One personal item" thing now.

- Cadman was in urban (black/white/grey) camo. The place they were? Not so urban.

- Cadman: Pretty! And smart and fun. Hope we see her again. If, for no other reason to see the smirky looks that she and Rodney exchange.

- Speaking of smirks, Rodney being all modest about being nakie cracked me up. He looked rather like he had showered and shaved before the Katie Brown date, though, so, what did Cadman do? Take a nap while he bathed? She didn't sound impressed but I think Hewlett's handsome. Not hunky, but handsome.

- Speaking of impressed, Dex is SO not impressed with Weir. Or anyone. He isn't snotty or rude or hostile - he just doesn't give a crap. Which is pretty much what I'd expect.

- I rewatched, in slow mo in part, the Cadman getting up from Rodney's bed and seeing Carson thing. David Hewlett SO nailed that. Kudos and more kudos to him. When Cadman pulled back realizing she was OOC for Rodney, and just hung "her" thumbs on the belt? That was great stuff.

- I'm on Livejournal and I saw various people promising to having Atlantis's babies, Martin Gero's babies, or Hewlett's babies after that ep. It made a huge positive impression out there, folks, so, like, YAY!

And now, back to packing. Which I hate. It takes so much more time to pack light than to pack not-light. Why is that?
    ~*~*~*~*~*
    not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Well said, Lily!

There's also the matter of McKay's incessant need to control everything when, in fact, he controls very little. His body is the one thing he can be VERY sure of controlling fully, so to suddenly find himself NOT in control of his one certain refuge must be deeply disturbing and probably terrifying for him. It isn't just McKay being a jackass, it's McKay being asked to let go of the one absolute certainty in his life: himself. His way of dealing with it is to lash out at everyone in reach, to try and contain himself even more tightly than usual, and to generally panic.

I don't know how I'd react if I found some guy suddenly in my head and trying to exert control but I doubt that I'd handle it very well. I might not be as bad as McKay, but I think I'd exhibit the same gut-clenching need to hold on to my self and the same reluctance to give up control to a veritable stranger.

Comment

Lol, I don't really feel like typing much, but I'll just pop in and say I thought "Duet" was fab. Now I rarely ever give out that compliment to an episode, unless it's really good, so this has moved into my top 5.
        Twas very, very, very funny.

Comment

A great episode with some great acting.

Not much of a McKay fan, but have to admit he worked this duality thing. I liked that he didn't get overly prissy when in female mode, since Cadman didn't strike me as being that way. It's way to easy for male actors to over-accentuate female characters when they play them, and for directors to over-emphasize "female" actions. Hewlett lent just the right moves to his other character.

Although, as pointed out previously, Cadman showed some glaring lack of control; refusing to allow Rodney to do his job because...what? She coudn't do hers? She couldn't pipe down a minute for him to help Zelenka (wonderful man) help them? Teasing Rodney before the Wraith dart came was also a bit over the top; it was really not her business who he did or didn't date. And telling Rodney he needed help with women, way off base. IMO, anyhow.

Liked the Teyla and Ronon scenes. Want a rematch! Ronon clearly sucker punched my girl when she turned to speak to Shep. That he apologized later was very cool, and a nice peek at his character. I see them bonding, but not yet in a 'ship. Teyla's "clothing" came in handy for that neat split in her quarters.

But so tired of every doctor character wanting to save every enemy combatant (character) at risk of everyone else's life and limb; buck up, Carson!

Torri handled her scene with Ronon well; I wondered if her character was supposed to be a little "disturbed" by all that (bare) masculine intensity? Naah. But I was. Very funny scene played well by both. I love Ronon's voice.

Well done by the cast, director, and writer. Esp. liked the dissection of the Wraith dart, and the explanations of how it worked. Another link, apparently, between Wraith and Ancient techie stuff.

Hoping for more Ronon and more on Ford soon.
          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
          sigpic
          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
            - I'm on Livejournal and I saw various people promising to having Atlantis's babies, Martin Gero's babies, or Hewlett's babies after that ep. It made a huge positive impression out there, folks, so, like, YAY!
            Take a number, we're all on LJ =D

okay thats not true.

But i would like to say that i'm not in for having any babies of the aforementioned. But none the less...it made a HUGE impression on me =D postitive i mean!

and i mean dont forget that smoochie. isnt it like the first man/man kiss for a sci-fi show?

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
            Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
            Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Loved it, absolutely loved it. I wasn't a big McKay fan before, but Hewlett was brilliant. They all were, but that was the performance of the season so far.

Every character played as they should, and I was laughing as well as impressed the entire time. Personally, I thought SG-1 was good too, so I had a two-hour laughfest going. Atlantis was better though, and I hope to see Rodney being that good again as the season progresses.

Comment

i liked this ep mainly cause atlantis got a wraith dart! yay! let start reverse engineering this at Area 51 so we can get some new fighters! To me there seems to be a small pattern forming

Sg-1 season 2 (or at the end of season 1 to be correct) we got Zats and 2 death gliders both damaged

SGA season 2- we get Ronons trusty gun( the equivalent of teal'c's staff IMO) and a damaged wraith dart

so if things sorta follow SG-1 could we have a prototype of a wraith dart/human techology hybrid in season 5 of atlantis? HEH HEH
                the good ole days of sg-1

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                  \ Plus I didn’t like the psychologist. I didn’t really like her last season course that could just because I don’t like psychologists in real life so I’m biased.
                  Dr. Heitmeyer is hot. I wouldn't mind seeing more of her.

I think we know for sure that when McKay said to Teyla back in the Gift (I think when we first met Dr. Heitmeyer) and said that he was "seeing" her, he did not meant that in a romantic way.
                  I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Quite an entertaining episode. More involvement of Dr. Zelenka is always good. I also like the return of the good shrink Dr. Heightmeyer. David Hewlett was terrific in this one.

Now did we actually see the kiss (between Rodney and Cadman, I think, but identified as being between Rodney and Dr. Brown) that was featured for this episode in the Gateworld description of this episode?
                    I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      There's also the matter of McKay's incessant need to control everything when, in fact, he controls very little. His body is the one thing he can be VERY sure of controlling fully, so to suddenly find himself NOT in control of his one certain refuge must be deeply disturbing and probably terrifying for him. It isn't just McKay being a jackass, it's McKay being asked to let go of the one absolute certainty in his life: himself. His way of dealing with it is to lash out at everyone in reach, to try and contain himself even more tightly than usual, and to generally panic.
                      Very well said ShadowMatt.
                      Originally posted by Easter Lily
                      In Duet, we see one man fighting for his mind and little people moments
                      Another thing that I liked about this episode was that though the premise was humerous for the audience and that there were many humerous moments, it didn't undermine the serious and traumatic nature of the situation. Usually I'm one to nitpick about glossing over the human element and drama, but I didn't have a problem with that on first viewing of Duet. I can't imagine what not being able to control your body is like, from concepts to tactile sensations. And then kissing a friend you have to work with on top of it. If I were McKay, I would definitely have issues to work through, and I wouldn't be able to act normally around Beckett for weeks and weeks.

And that reminds me. I just want to applaud TPTB for taking the risk with the kissing scene. Overall it was just one great moment out of the episode, but it will definitely be remembered in SGA history.

Comment

hmm, well, unless I've missed it (and I did read the entire 120 ishposts of the thread ), the scene with DH flipping between McKay and Cadman in the shrinks looked like a direct "homage" to the Gollum scene out of LOTR..... or is that just me?
                        I agree tho, it was very distracting, and DH has more than enough presence in BOTH characters to pull off the conversation without the switching in prospective....

Otherwise, what more is there to say that everyone else hasn't already covered! LOVED it, laughed my ass off, was almightily impressed that a concept that could have come as as completely hokey came off brilliantly (mucho kudos to Martin G and DH, I forgot who directed )
                        (hmm, yes, delectable! )
                        I don't want to see every Atlantis ep go the comedy way, but this ep was a great ride, and I thoroughly enjoyed it

Still undecided about Ronon - like him so far, but there hasn't been a whole lot to see....

Oh, and my absolute fav bit? The end where McKay wakes up in the infirmary again and the others are sitting/lounging around waiting - great team moment, like the chemistry, reminiscent of earlier SG-1 *nostalgia*

Comment

I couldn't wait to see this episode.

Beckett: "What's this McKay? You have a date? With a woman?"

ROFL!

McKay is so hilarious.

Ronan seems to be getting along fine.

Beckett and Cadman digs each other (McKay & Beckett - kiss ROFL) and McKay and that Botanist digs each other too.

This episode was fantastic 100/10

Cadman's so hot...
                          Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
                          WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

Do you reckon we'll see Becket's and McKay's new ladyfriends in later eps?

Comment

I hope so...
                              Nice looking girls... Very striking hair... almost like something out of a Pantene ad.
                              Did you notice Carson giving Cadman's hand a little squeeze before going?

Yeah... and Martin Gero can't tell us that sometimes a hand squeeze is just a hand squeeze...
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I think in this case, it's more than just a "hand sqeeze", lol

Now, Beckett doesn't have to complain that he doesn't get to meet a hot girl.

Recap: last scene of "Rising", lol
                                Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
                                WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

Working...
                                X