Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by not so ancient
    Let me understand your statement here:

You're accusing David Hewlett of 'making fun of gays', or being anti-gay, because of the way he portrayed Cadman taking over his body?
    No. Nonononononononono. And I'm sorry, because in retrospect I can certainly see how that could be understood from my post.

What I meant was this: In the hypothetical case that DH were a comedian making fun of gays, I imagine he'd look something like that.

I've seen impressions of gays looking pretty much like that.

DH was clearly not making fun of gays in any way. As you say, such a claim would be completely nonsensical. However, the fact that his acting (in that specific bit) reminded me so immediately of said impressions (real and hypothetical) is something I see as a flaw, because clearly that's not what it's supposed to have me thinking, meaning that he's missed his intended goal.

Again, I know others loved that bit. All this is entirely my own opinion. And again, I apoligize for not being more clear.
    That will be all, Citizen. Thank you for your cooperation. Have a nice daycycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Standback
      I've seen real gays act like that, too. I didn't find the bit particularly offensive, in poor taste, badly acted or in any way disrespectful of ANYONE- except possibly Cadman's disrespect for Rodney.

But then, that's MY opinion not yours, right?

Comment

DH was clearly not making fun of gays in any way. As you say, such a claim would be completely nonsensical. However, the fact that his acting (in that specific bit) reminded me so immediately of said impressions (real and hypothetical) is something I see as a flaw, because clearly that's not what it's supposed to have me thinking, meaning that he's missed his intended goal.
        You know, David Hewlett has portrayed a gay man before. In a film called "Century Hotel". His portrayal was very three-dimensional, believable, loving, and not a bit effeminate. His character suffered greatly in the face of prejudice and harassment. He also kissed another man, rather passionately, and did a nude scene.

I think David knows the difference between portraying a woman, and a gay man. I've seen him portray a gay man, and what he did in Duet in no way resembled his performance as a gay man.

So, you know, if you, for some reason, think you saw a standup schtick about swishy queens rather than a well-crafted performance, that's your prerogative.

I think that says a lot more about you than it does David Hewlett, or Duet.
        ~*~*~*~*~*
        not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

No. Nonononononononono. And I'm sorry, because in retrospect I can certainly see how that could be understood from my post.

What I meant was this: In the hypothetical case that DH were a comedian making fun of gays, I imagine he'd look something like that.

Again, I know others loved that bit. All this is entirely my own opinion. And again, I apoligize for not being more clear.
          I also thought one part was very like the movie In And Out with Kevin Kline. I don't think he was pretending to be gay, not many poeple have a proper idea what a woman whose taken over a man's body would act like whilst walking around.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
            It's just not that big a deal. It's the kind of thing Weir could have flubbed on - Rodney had, probably others had too.
            For me, the problem is that she's talking to Dex when she refers to "Major Sheppard". If she'd been talking with Rodney, or with Zelenka, that kind of slip would have quite probably not even been noticed by whoever she was talking with. However, Dex is new to the city and so I would have expected him to ask, "Who?" or "Do you mean "Colonel Sheppard?"

I agree that either Martin Gero wrote the line wrong and Torri didn't notice, or Torri flunked the line - but inside the reality of the show it does cause a problem that Dex doesn't query what she said.

Comment

Originally posted by Callie
              I agree that either Martin Gero wrote the line wrong and Torri didn't notice, or Torri flunked the line - but inside the reality of the show it does cause a problem that Dex doesn't query what she said.
              Or maybe it's a copy-paste from stuff written before Shep's promotion ?

Comment

Just read the transcript for this and even the transcript had my laughing, it was an amazing episode. Very funny and Cadiman seems like a great character. Rodney was funnily being rodney and i cant wait to watch this episode.
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Is it just me or did they NOT actually use the stargate in the end?

Comment

just a mistake thats all i haven't heard it since then so it was just a mistake
                    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                    sigpic

Comment

I was just talking about this episode on another board when I suddenly realized why it didn't really sit right with me. Sure I laughed a couple times, but overall I just wasn't as impressed as many others seemed to be. I think the biggest problem I had with this episode was that Lt. Cadman is an unknown character. The reason these kind of episodes are usually so successful (and funny) is that they're like getting in on an inside joke. It's supposed to feel like being at a party and watching one of your friends do a perfect imitation of one of your other friends. Imagine Joe Flannigan imitating the way Rodney kinda rocks back and forth on his heels when he's feeling particularly brilliant. It would only be hilarious to you if it's something you've noticed that Rodney does. In this episode we've met Lt. Cadman for about 5 mins and have had no real character development (beyond that she likes poker and making fun of Rodney) and then are supposed to easily recognize when Rodney's speech and/or body language is supposed to be indicative of her personality. I bold "her" because while it was pretty obvious when Rodney was in female mode it wasn't obvious (to me anyway) that the female was Lt. Cadman. I'm not saying that Rodney didn't do well with what he was given, but how much funnier would the episode have been if he had had Zelenka trapped in there with him or Weir (though that would have been harder since she hardly ever goes off world). I also thought that the scene with Beckett was a little heavy handed; even though we didn't learn that much about Cadman to begin with, she hardly seemed the type that would be lowering the zipper on her shirt or (albeit slightly) flouncing around to entice Beckett. Cute as he is...
                      Last edited by birdieey; 27 September 2005, 01:03 PM.
                      b.

Comment

You may have a point there. Unfortnately, TPTB aren't in the habit of developing lots of girl characters. The only ones we have- that we'd know well enough to recognize- are Weir and Teyla. Weir wouldn't make sense within the context of the ep and Teyla... No. Just... no. Her personality doesn't stand out enough, anyway.

I suppose technically it could have been Miko, but again, it wouldn't make a lot of sense in the context of the ep and Miko was more of a joke than an actual character. She was too stereotypical.

Comment

There was a funny episode on Farscape where all the major characters changed bodies, and we got to see how each would react in the other's body. They did a little of that with Teal'c and O'Neill. It would be pretty funny if our fantastic four changed bodies. And Weir had to deal with Sheppard in Teyla's body. And Ronan in McKay's out of shape body.

Wouldn't it be funny if Teyla got McKay's body, and took it out for one of her sparring matches.

Comment

Originally posted by mgbland
                            There was a funny episode on Farscape where all the major characters changed bodies, and we got to see how each would react in the other's body. They did a little of that with Teal'c and O'Neill. It would be pretty funny if our fantastic four changed bodies. And Weir had to deal with Sheppard in Teyla's body. And Ronan in McKay's out of shape body.
                            No, actually, it wouldn't be funny at all. It'd be asinine and a blatant rip off of the two shows you just mentioned.

Or I think so, anyway. I doubt that even Martin Gero would be able to save a plot that stunk that highly.

Comment

Originally posted by mgbland

Wouldn't it be funny if Teyla got McKay's body, and took it out for one of her sparring matches.
                              The Farscape episode you are talking about was called Out of Mind. While it worked very well in the Farscape universe, it does not fit into the plot lines of stargate. The two shows are very different. Farscape was a universe where such things could happened whereas stargate is based in the now world and doesn't have the same kind of rules. That would be too cartoonish for stargate and could lose the show some fans.
                              "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                              'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                              Individuality is freedom lived.
                              'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1
                                The Farscape episode you are talking about was called Out of Mind. While it worked very well in the Farscape universe, it does not fit into the plot lines of stargate. The two shows are very different. Farscape was a universe where such things could happened whereas stargate is based in the now world and doesn't have the same kind of rules. That would be too cartoonish for stargate and could lose the show some fans.
                                I think what really made that episode work, was the fact each character was a different species. They did a little of that in SG1 by switching a Human and a Jaffa.

Comment

Working...
                                X