Runner (203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SophieTucker
    It looks like some people were upset with this ep and others like it. Am I correct that the people that don't particularly like McKay were okay with this ep but those that like the character had trouble with it?
    Not across the board, no. I've heard some big-time McKay fans say they loved everything about McKay in this ep, but there are others (like myself) who think TPTB pushed him just a little too far in a couple of places. *shrug*

Likewise, I'm sure there are people who had issues with the ep which had nothing to do with McKay.

I thought it was a good ep, over-all. Brilliant stuff with Ford, good intro for Dex, and I am LOVING Lorne. I wish McKay had been toned down a notch, but I can still live with it. As long as I ignore the girly screaming...

Betcha they made Hewlett shoot that scene a million times, too, along with the upside down bit. hehe

Comment

It looks like some people were upset with this ep and others like it. Am I correct that the people that don't particularly like McKay were okay with this ep but those that like the character had trouble with it?
      In general, it seems that you're right, but I just want to make clear that I'm one of the people who hasn't had a problem with Rodney this season, and he's my favorite character. I care about him a lot.

Comment

As for Ronan, he's no Tyr Anasazi.
        Can't speak for everyone else...
        But my enjoyment of the episode had little to do with McKay... but then I didn't have a huge problem with McKay's antics... I just shrug my shoulders and say... "ah... Rodney..." and smile knowingly...

I particularly liked the unfolding of the story and the use of the "Runner" motif...
        sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I was watching Letters from Pegasus over the weekend and I must say that RSF's acting is really very good. In LFP he was kind of a gee-whiz, happy-go-lucky (well, as much as you could be in a foreign galaxy) especially when recording his message to his grandparents. To compare his character in that episode to his character in Runner is just amazing. Flashes of the old Ford with the new SuperFord and RSF making it seem seamless and believable. I am very impressed.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

As for Ronan, he's no Tyr Anasazi.
            As for Ronon, he's no Tyr Anasazi....that's good. For that we are all greatful...two different roles, two seperate shows.
            Purple's Biggest Fan
            A Purple Creation

Atlantis Dex Style

Dex Devil

Comment

I like Dex a lot more than Tyr, myself. But I'm not a big fan of Andromeda in general and I don't want to turn this into a big SGA vs. Andromeda fiasco.
              Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              Well, there were some token guards at the door, but basically everyone in Atlantis is an idiot and they never learn their lesson. They always trust random dangerous strangers and invite them back to see the city.
              Yeah, but I just take it with a grain of salt. They are explorers first and foremost, so it kind of makes sense that they'd be more willing to trust people, especially ones who hate the Wraith, than not. Out of all the planets they've visited so far, they've only really run across three bad apples: the Wraith, the Genii, and the Wraith bugs. Not a terrible record for trusting everyone willy-nilly, I'd say...
              I think we're supposed to get the idea that Ronan is so super and strong and has probably been shot so many times that he can shake off the effects of the stunner.
              See, that bugged me. I get that Dex is tough and all, but he shouldn't be shrugging stunners of any kind off like that. The hand-held stunners were enough to easily drop two beefcake guards in "The Siege III." Unless, of course, he builds up a resistance to it somehow, in which case I'd be the first one back at Atlantis getting other people to stun the hell out of me until I develop my own resistance. Stunners being ineffective against Super-Ford, fine. Stunners being ineffective against a normal--albeit quite large and strong, but still normal--guy like Dex? Makes me wonder why the Wraith even bother using their PoS weapons.
              Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
              Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
              Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
              Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by derrickh
                Teyla should be screaming to put this guy in chains but she's too busy ogling his scars (chicks dig scars) and practicing light bondage acts with him. Listening to her talk about 'legends of Runners' like they're celebrities after Dex has physically abused her is disturbing. It's like she was saying 'Yeah, he shot me, and tied me up, and threatened to kill me, but it's ok, because he's a legend'.D
                LOL! I don't necessarily agree, but I laughed my ass off when I read it.

As for the episode - Definitely better then the previous two, I can't believe how many posts I've read praising "The Intruder". (Don't worry I'll take this argument to the appropriate thread.)

Things they did well:

- Most of Rodney's babbling was pretty funny. (I think that if you're not getting annoyed you're missing the point)
                - I really liked Major Lorne and hope he sticks around.
                - Probably some of the best Lt. Ford scenes we've seen yet. Kudos!
                - Cadwell telling it like it is.
                - Limited Weir time.

Things that weren't so hot

- Did anyone else think it was kinda odd that Ford's team had absolutely no trouble shooting him? I mean he's supposed to be the homicidal maniac and all he did was stun a few people.
                - For someone who was military, a runner for 7 years and kept asking "Why should I trust you" Dex certainly gave us a lot of his back story. I feel like I know more about him then I do about Teyla.
                - Even though we got a lot of info on Dex, it felt rushed, like they just want to get him on the team instead of properly introducing his character. With all he's been through I think he totally could have used at least a full episode dedicated primarily if not solely to him. And the whole "I've heard of Runners" was a pretty weak way to sidestep the problem.
                - McKay and Ford ran around for what seemed like all afternoon and all night without actually attempting to TRACK Teyla and Sheppard. Super-powers indeed?

b.
                -----
                "Maybe I'm just not that different. Maybe it's just my hair".
                Claire - A Home At the End of the World
                b.

Comment

Wow. I've managed to read most of the posts and I'm surprised at how many people thought McKay was out of character or over the top. I thought he was just right. Ok, maybe a little over the top. But it makes sense to me.

Remember, this is the guy who just last week had at least 6 opportunities to die on and off the Daedalus. Who just recently had 2 scientists die who didn't even make it to Atlantis. He watched as one scientist died and was helpless to do anything about it. Which probably brought back memories of Grodin and of the scientists who died of the nanovirus and of Gaul.

Snap! That's what I think.

Rodney always wavers between being scared out of his mind and being brave. Without his familiar team to bolster his backbone, I can see Rodney backsliding into someone running away from danger with a girly scream. Who harps on the personal effects of radiation because he can measure it and do something about it. Who is so nervous that is forgets the military hand signals that he should have learned from Sheppard by now.

Yeah. Snap!

My kind of guy:
                  "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                  Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                  (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Agrees with Watcher. McKay was totally in character. Just McKay being McKay. U either like his antics or u don't but he was in character and just being McKay. It would be disturbing if he actually attempted to take on Ford and not complain about this or that, it would be out of character.

Comment

Originally posted by birdieey
                      Things that weren't so hot

- Did anyone else think it was kinda odd that Ford's team had absolutely no trouble shooting him? I mean he's supposed to be the homicidal maniac and all he did was stun a few people.
                      - For someone who was military, a runner for 7 years and kept asking "Why should I trust you" Dex certainly gave us a lot of his back story. I feel like I know more about him then I do about Teyla.
                      - Even though we got a lot of info on Dex, it felt rushed, like they just want to get him on the team instead of properly introducing his character. With all he's been through I think he totally could have used at least a full episode dedicated primarily if not solely to him. And the whole "I've heard of Runners" was a pretty weak way to sidestep the problem.
                      - McKay and Ford ran around for what seemed like all afternoon and all night without actually attempting to TRACK Teyla and Sheppard. Super-powers indeed?
                      - Non-lethal shots meant to incapacitate Ford (or lucky enough to just be a flesh wound, in McKay's case ). They wanted to bring him back in, even if they had to physically restrain him to do it, but it seems Ford can't be taken down by anything short of death at this point.

- Dex didn't tell them anything about where he was going or his tactics on eluding the Wraith. What harm is there in telling them where he comes from or some of the horrors he's experienced from the Wraith? What, is the Atlantis crew gonna turn the information over to the Wraith or something? Besides, he probably just appreciated a chance to talk to somebody without all the hostility he's been living with for 7 years. Teyla was kind to him and he opened up with personal information that couldn't come back to bite him in the ass--seems perfectly reasonable to me.

- I thought it was just sensible that Teyla would've heard of runners. Based on the preview for next week's episode, it seems like we'll be getting more on Dex as he acclimates to life on Atlantis, too. I didn't feel his introduction in this episode was rushed, myself, but to each his own.

- Yeah, I was kind of surprised that Ford, with all his military training, couldn't track people who were making no effort to hide themselves. But hey, he's screwed up in the head.
                      Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                      Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                      Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                      Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                        Wow. I've managed to read most of the posts and I'm surprised at how many people thought McKay was out of character or over the top. I thought he was just right. Ok, maybe a little over the top. But it makes sense to me.

Remember, this is the guy who just last week had at least 6 opportunities to die on and off the Daedalus. Who just recently had 2 scientists die who didn't even make it to Atlantis. He watched as one scientist died and was helpless to do anything about it. Which probably brought back memories of Grodin and of the scientists who died of the nanovirus and of Gaul.

Snap! That's what I think.

Rodney always wavers between being scared out of his mind and being brave. Without his familiar team to bolster his backbone, I can see Rodney backsliding into someone running away from danger with a girly scream. Who harps on the personal effects of radiation because he can measure it and do something about it. Who is so nervous that is forgets the military hand signals that he should have learned from Sheppard by now.

Yeah. Snap!
                        I think people are seeing what they want. (above)

Mckay was right on character. I loved the scenes with him and Ford...infact, it was some of my favorite of this season so far. ATlantis has just gotten so GREAT!!
                        It feels good to be alive.
                        Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
                          I think people are seeing what they want. (above)
                          I think that works both ways - people that don't like the character McKay probably thought that Runner was right on track.

My biggest complaint is that they backtracked - if all of Season One he'd been the McKay of 48 hours I'd be ready the Wraith to take him.
                          Last edited by SophieTucker; 02 August 2005, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I think that works both ways - people that don't like the character McKay probably thought that Runner was right on track.

My biggest complaint is that they backtracked - if all of Season One he'd been the McKay of 48 hours I'd be ready the Wraith to take him.
                            See... I don't see it as backtracking (yet! More needs to happen before I see it as backtracking)... I see it more as lapsing... a character lapse... People do that in real life... Rodney's made strides in many areas but he's still a jittery bunny... but a lovable one... It works for me because everyone is so uber gungho... running around with guns without sunscreen and here is Rodney McKay openly and refreshingly vain, silly and scared... and strangely enough I kinda respect him for it.

Maybe because I'm not that gungho myself...
                            Last edited by Easter Lily; 02 August 2005, 04:44 PM.
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Wait, I love McKay and I think Runner was right on track with McKay's behavior.

And I also don't see that they've backtracked. I think McKay behaved just as he would. Sometimes you're brave enough to empty your gun into a Wraith. You know what the Wraith want. Sometimes you freak out when you don't know what the hell Psycho Super-Ford has in his head after you shoot him in the shoulder.

My kind of guy:
                              "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                              Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                              (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Very good episode. I didn't think the McKay scenes crossed the line with regard to his character (and I too noticed his breath being visible after he took off his helmet)... I just thought it was typical Rodney. Yes, I know his character has 'grown' over the past year, and he's a bit more disciplined and capable in the field as a makeshift soldier. But please, he's still McKay... he's a scientist, not a soldier or a military mind. Have we forgotten the scene just one or two episodes ago when he said "Your primary mission is to protect me. And the ZPM. And me." (Or whatever his words were.)

I thought RSF was very good in this ep... hard to control his 'new' character traits sometimes. And Ronon was good too. I think this is a very good start for Atlantis!!!

(I'm conflicted that Atlantis will so soon surpass it's parent in enjoyment & watchability, but so far, the way these shows are shaping up, that's what it looks like!)

Comment

Working...
                                X