No announcement yet.

The Siege, Part 2 (120)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I be one of the first people from the US to say wow. Wow. I mean, just...wow.

After Reckoning, I was hoping Siege would be half as good as those couple of episodes, plus I kept hearing about people from the UK and Canada saying how amazing Siege was going to be. And while I don't think Siege could ever be as good as Reckoning--you need 8 years of back story and brilliant complexity and development of the mythos--but the awe factor was the same. Watching tonight's episode, IMO, was as exciting as watching Reckoning. And that's saying something.

I felt the first half was a bit slow and had a harder time getting involved (though unfortunately, that could be contributed to the fact that I was more spoiled than I wanted to be going into it) but part 2 just made everything better.

I loved the character of Everett; much more than I ever thought he would. The first half, I was thinking what a presumptuous jerk he was, and was agonizing over his interactions with Sheppard and Weir, which came across as so patronizing. (And I was giggling every time he interacted with McKay, who is probably the only one that can really get away with being so rude to him.) But I love that the character ended up being so descent...and was sad that they killed him off right as he was becoming cool. I love that they had introduction and development of such character over the course of one episode! (Reminds me a bit of the intro of Col. Potter on MASH.)

Everything else...I don't know where to start. I liked the way they worked in the inclusion of the Genii--immediately thought there was no way it was going to go well. I thought for sure the episode would leave off with us still hanging as to the fate of Weir. And the fact that she successfully managed to negotiate the deal...hey, first the first time I actually genuinely liked the character (as opposed to previously, when I wavered between indifference and wanting to like her.) Go Weir!

Like Reckoning, I like that all the major characters go to do something--specifically, they all got to do what they best. I was even enjoying Teyla and Ford somewhat, who both were contributing exactly how they should. Meanwhile, Weir got to practice her diplomacy skills, Sheppard got to use his Ancient Gene, struggle to work with Everett and prove why he deserves to be military leader of Atlantis (I loved when he told Everett that he supported Weir.) And McKay got to snark at everyone (especially Beckett and Zelenka!) and be his loveable, whiny, scientist self. It's so nice to finally have a series where my favorite character isn't relegated to supporting during major story arc plotlines.

The fire fight during the first attack by the Wraith darts brought chills; that was very cool!

It makes me so glad we got this episode; because SG1 already hit its peak a few weeks ago with Reckoning...and everything since then has been kind of...eh. But The Seige...man, I am so looking forward to second season of Atlantis. *sigh* I just wish we didn't have to wait four more months to see the conclusion.

Anyway, I haven't read through the thread yet, so I'm not sure what other people thought of this episode. At least I can finally stop avoiding spoiler threads.
    Metroids are not pets
    Metroids are not for target practice
    Any unauthorized feeding of metroids is prohibited

Comment

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

Amazing episode. Simply amazing. I especially loved where the camera zoomed out of the city and then back in. Simply stunning. The fighting with the Darts, the rail guns, everything.

I'm still pissed as hell at the Genii. Damn *******s didn't even finish their bombs. Morons. Anyway, Everett is a bit irritating. I hope he's dead. His attitude is what irritated me the most, though he kinda grew on me in the end with his comments to Dr. Weir.

Zelenka and McKay, words cannot describe. Great, Great, GREAT .

I so have guessed (without being spoiled, though i'm putting it in spoiler tags)
      Spoiler:
      that JUST as the bomb in Sheppard's PJ is about to detonate, the Daedulus shows up and beams him off. 90 bucks. Can't loose Sheppard now can we

I SOO hate being left in the air about everying. Great cliffhanger, just like "The Storm" and "The Eye"

Though a question, what happened to Cowan? Who was the new Genii?

Before you judge a person, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, not only will you be a mile away, you'll have their shoes.

Comment

Overall, a strong season finale. And I credit them for making the protagonists look more screwed than SG1 ever has been in the middle of a split episode.

And at first it seemed Everett was going to be an obnoxious military jerk which would have been really annoying, but he turned out to be amenable to reason and likeable. Though, like Sumner, clearly marked for death.

We know, from an outside of the show perspective, that Sheppard isn't going to die. And it looks like all the characters are about two minutes away from being killed. So it seems like something big and unexpected is going to happen right at the beginning of episode three.

And as long as they aren't doing another 'Ascended/Asgard/insert your own higher power comes to the rescue' plot, it should be something really cool.

Visually, the combat scenes were really stunning.

Comment

WWWOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!

That was an amazing episode. Didin't actually turn out the way I wanted at the end. I mean I wanted to see one of the Wraith Hive Ships blown up. But overall it was very well played out.

I liked the Everett character, I thought he was going to be a jerkk in the begining but he turned out to be cool. He would make a nice new character in the Season 2 eps. His humor is some-what like O'Niel's.

The one thing I don't understand is what happened to Teyla?
          Was she kidnapped by the Wraith?
          Or was she the one who shot the men?

Me, personally, that she gunned them down.

Also what's going to happen to Sheppard...obviously he's going to die.

Spoiler:
          However, I saw some of the trailers for season 2 and sheppard was there, so i think that means he is still...will be still alive.

yey!!

But why??!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Do we have to wait for July??/

I want to see them so bad..
          Of course they have to shot it first...i understand but waiting for July will feel like an eternity.
          The Phoenix lives on!

Comment

I think that tayla gunned them down and that the new ship we have yet to see will have asgard beaming technology that will save sheppard in the last seconds before he tries to blow up one of the wraith ships. I am dissapointed that we will not see the next episode for 4 months but I have been watching sg1 long enough to know that this was a possibility. All in all im happy with the episodes but I wish they would have finished it out.

Comment

Originally posted by zellus
              I think that tayla gunned them down and that the new ship we have yet to see will have asgard beaming technology that will save sheppard in the last seconds before he tries to blow up one of the wraith ships. I am dissapointed that we will not see the next episode for 4 months but I have been watching sg1 long enough to know that this was a possibility. All in all im happy with the episodes but I wish they would have finished it out.
              Yeah I know....I was so mad when it didn't finish.
              It makes no difference what you do to me. But know this, the Ori are all-seeing.
              [long pause] They are already aware of this affront to their eminence, and shall strike down those who dare to defy them.
              Nothing yet. You?
              Drawing a blank. A little thirsty.
              That doesn't count
              No, it doesn't.

Comment

My random tired-ass not so ancient thoughts, quickly before it storms, which always knocks out my power.

Colonel Everett = Purina Wraith Chow. He did grow to respect Weir by the end though. That's good.

Did Weir kick some ass going to the Genii all brave and defiant, or what? Love me some Elizabeth.

Where's Teyla? :::wibbles:::

FORD! :::wibbles some more::::

Rodney is probably about to literally die of exhaustion. Poor woobie! ::ets him, and slips him a mickey injection:::

Radek rocks. Carson rocked too but he needs to stop being a wuss about the Chair.

IS IT JULY YET?
                ~*~*~*~*~*
                not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by ancient_phoenix
                  Also what's going to happen to Sheppard...obviously he's going to die.
                  Obviously?! Umm... No. I can think of at least four separate ways for him to survive and considering that Shep is the main lead/hero of the show, I find it impossible to even conceive the idea that he WOULDN'T survive.

I mean, come on- how many times have we seen SG-1 or its various members in a situation where they were "obviously" going to die, only to have the day saved in the very next ep? And Daniel doesn't count.

I was again impressed by the VFX. The battle for the city was truly impressive and had a certain grim beauty to it.

I would LOVE for Teyla to go darkside and be possessed by a Wraith, even temporarily. I'm sorry and I know it's too cliche, but it's also the only time I've ever found the character remotely interesting. *sigh*

Ford was great. LOVED his bit about "Next time, YOU can be the bait!" The situation didn't look too good for him there at the end, but my fingers are crossed for good character development in the coming season. Yay for Ford! I hope...

Comment

Well me and my friend were just talking about how the new ship will posses the asgard beaming technology and at the last sec might beam Sheppard out. Like today in SG-1 when O'Niel and the others got bombed and you saw the white light...that might happen and sheppard might wake up in the Ship....just a guess...

IS IT JULY YET??????!!!!!!!
                    The Phoenix lives on!

Comment

The battle over the city was amazing. Fantastic special effects. Moebius 2 gets a few natives coming over the hill and Atlantis gets the "Shock and Awe". Lots of extras, lots of firepower - it was pretty impressive.

Colonel Everett was such a cliche but he ended up adding an interesting dimension to the mix. I liked that he came to respect Weir and I was pretty impressed with her in this myself. I think she almost comes off better when she's standing up to a Colonel Everett (or the Goa'uld) than when she's trying to be the main leader of Atlantis.

Rodney and Zelenka try and save the day but don't quite make it. That whole bit where the four scientists are standing at the railing grumbling about being left out of the meeting had me LOL.

I kind of liked Teyla in this one as well. I have to say I'm even growing fond of her little fighting displays with the sticks. Hmmm.....wonder if she will end up being captured by the Wraith and taken to one of the hive ships.

Shep's going to survive of course (probably when the Daedalus arrives) and I figure before Siege III ends he's going to have to kill Everett to save him from the Wraith. Just like Sumner. They love these full circle things.

Shep seemed so young in this compared to Colonel Everett. It makes you realize how young he was to be the ranking military officer at Atlantis. Guess this may change in S2.
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Its truly insane how much they could cram into one hour.
                        Awesome battles, visuals, action, and moments we wont forget.
                        But what bites the most? seeing TBC!!?

Comment

This episode ROCKED!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                            The battle over the city was amazing. Fantastic special effects. Moebius 2 gets a few natives coming over the hill and Atlantis gets the "Shock and Awe". Lots of extras, lots of firepower - it was pretty impressive.

Colonel Everett was such a cliche but he ended up adding an interesting dimension to the mix. I liked that he came to respect Weir and I was pretty impressed with her in this myself. I think she almost comes off better when she's standing up to a Colonel Everett (or the Goa'uld) than when she's trying to be the main leader of Atlantis.

Rodney and Zelenka try and save the day but don't quite make it. That whole bit where the four scientists are standing at the railing grumbling about being left out of the meeting had me LOL.

I kind of liked Teyla in this one as well. I have to say I'm even growing fond of her little fighting displays with the sticks. Hmmm.....wonder if she will end up being captured by the Wraith and taken to one of the hive ships.

Shep's going to survive of course (probably when the Daedalus arrives) and I figure before Siege III ends he's going to have to kill Everett to save him from the Wraith. Just like Sumner. They love these full circle things.

Shep seemed so young in this compared to Colonel Everett. It makes you realize how young he was to be the ranking military officer at Atlantis. Guess this may change in S2.
                            I'm gonna save myself a bit of typing cause you touched on all the stuff I loved and thought of. Awesome Special effects. I hated Everett on sight but actually liked him by the end. And I agree about Weir, I liked her in this. She held her own. I also liked Shep sticking up for her and admitting he trusts her and respect her *Flashback to HOtZone* Teyla is quite the fighter, I must say. I had the same thought about Shep having to kill Everett and I would love to see that. Kinda don't want him saved by the Daedalus though. I'd like the writers to be more creative than that. LOL
                            And I had the same thought. That Shep seemed so YOUNG compared to Everett. Everett was supposed to be like 40. I know how old JOE is *Which still stuns me*. I know Shep is supposed to be like between 35 and 40 with Weir being around 35. But from day one she's struck me as around 40 with Shep closer to 30 and seeing Everett in the mix just made me think that more. Which works for me anyway. But..yeah..I digress.

Great ep. Wish it was July.

Oh..and Loved Rodney with Zalenka and the ticked off Scientists. LOL

Comment

There was only one word said at the To Be Continued

"NOOOooooooooooo!!!!!"

It feels good to be alive.
                              Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Oh the many reasons why this was the best episode ever! It was so completely amazing. They packing in so many things in such a short time, and unlike w/ SG1 it all had a good pace to nothing felt rushed or packed in.

Ford and Teyla.... I actually liked them in this episode! They had a purpose, they knew what they were doing and they did it well. When I saw that Teyla was missing on that scan of the dead I was so excited... if she goes bad there is no way arround it, she is way more interesting with her "gift".

Rod, Zel, Beck... Love these guys! They bring a balance to everything, they are the ones that make this a completely different show than SG1, not just a copy. Their many great lines and situations have already been talked about in this thread, so I won't go over them again. Did anybody else wonder if Rodney was going to point his gun a Beckett when he was sitting in the chair and wouldn't focus? With his lack of sleep, I was kind of waiting for Rodney to snap and point the gun at him and go "I said focus!" or something! *g* I also liked how after all the "scientists save the day" stuff, Rodney can't make the chair work in the end and the "military" guy has to.

Weir.... I like her more and more every episode, they are really writing some good stuff for her.

Shep... WOW, has my opinion of him changed from just this 1 episode. I always liked him, he was a well written character and had been given ok stuff to work with, but this episode.... From the scene w/ him backing up Weir to his confrontation w/ Everett, to his final scenes from the chair on were just amazing. I still can't figure out if it was the writing that has me or if it was his acting.... All I know is that he has gone from my 10th fav character in the gate universe to my 1st in just 1 episode!\

Oh, and I just wanted to add my kudos to the Special Effects guys, that city scene was AMAZING! That has to be the best battle I've seen on gate. Oh and I put my vote in favor of the city scans.... I like being able to see where they are in relation to everyone else. It's kind of hard to realize how big that city is sometimes, but that really puts it into perspective.
                                It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Working...
                                X