No announcement yet.

The Gift (118)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, thank you thank you for giving Teyla something to do! I was getting sick of her role being Ms. States The Obvious or in the case on Letters from Pegasus, an out of character Ms. Moral Preaching. Finally she not only gets a storyline, but an interesting one at that. That said, I still felt Teyla was a little stiff. What is the unwritten rule that aliens can't use contractions? Be brave Teyla, say "don't." I felt like I was watching Rachel Luttrell kind of find her way in this role. Which isn't suprising as it's really her first opportunity. A lot of the same sentiments I have about Teyla I originially had about Teal'c, hopefully she will be given the chance to find her place and a more fluid way of being.

As for the whole Dr. Moreau Wraith thing, I found it interesting. Certainly has some prospects. And as for the Ancients (even accidentally) creating the Wraith, are we really that surprised? But still, they're finally making the Wraith a little cooler. While the actual dialogue was uber-cheesy, the idea that a Wraith could take over Teyla is still appropriately scary. I was also glad to see (even if only one) that the Athosians still exist. Let's not completey forget about them, and can we not play the obstinate-naive-alien card?

And the stick-fighting: As someone who has some martial arts experience, I quite like the stick fighting because it looks cool and can actually inflict some damage (please don't get me started on The Warrior). But Teyla's out fit is just ridiculous. I mean, please. You can still look sexy in workout pants, I promise. Less ridiculous outfits, more kick butt ("I've scene you fight my dear." Hee.)
    And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
    Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
    Daniel: Oh! You see?
    Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

I came into this episode not caring for Teyla very much. I came out of the episode ...well....still not madly in love with Teyla. The difference is that at least she's getting a backstory now that will serve her character better than just being the hot chick with the stick.

There were some interesting revelations here and some interesting missteps by our regulars. You could really sense that they're all beginning to panic about the Wraith's arrival and it resulted in some strange actions by key personnel throughout this episode. Weir took a chance and then backed off at an odd moment. Shep seemed to be off his game by not being better prepared for Teyla's second time trying to link to the Wraith. Turns out Bates, as irritating as he can be at times, was the one who really stepped up and did the smart thing.

Two things were interesting here. One, apparently the Wraith are linked telepathically and Teyla can tap into that link because of her Wraith DNA. I have to say that was a little freaky when that Wraith started speaking thru her and seems to know all about the "pathetic" Atlantians. Are all the Wraith liked telepathically like the Borg? It seems the link on Teyla's side may only work when they get close enough.

The other interesting revelation is that the Wraith may somehow be a result of a cross between humans and the bug creatures from "33 Minutes". Hmm....how does such a mutant creature as the Wraith result from that? I think there's going to be a lot more to the story than we know now. The more that's revealed about the Ancients - the more culpable they become in everything that happened to them.

Of course I immediately wondered if they're setting things up so Shep is going to turn into a Wraith by the end of S2 or something because of the bug attached to his neck in S1.

I enjoyed the episode although it wasn't one of the better episodes of the second half of the season. Better than Sanctuary though. I didn't really care for the psychiatrist that much - Heightmeyer. I was hoping they might find a way to introduce another strong female supporting character but I'm not sure she's going to be the one. I do think it's interesting that an expedition to the Pegasus galaxy took along it's own shrink. That's going to come in handy. Sort of like Troi.

McKay was totally trying to cover with Teyla. I think he got caught leaving a psychiatrist's office - the man's got "issues"! - and tried to pretend they had a thing going. LOL! Gotta love McKay.

I do hope they get Teyla a new shirt next season. I often wonder if those ties are going to hold up under the pressure.
      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Not my favorite episode. It was nice they worked on some depth in the Teyla character but they could have done more. The introduction of the hot blonde shrink was alright also. An entire hour just to find out they only care about the humans to find earth.

Comment

Creepy ep! It did seem to take too long to get to the point--Wraiths want Earthling smorgasbord--but it was still good, so whatever.

What was good:
          a. The shrink. I initially thought that she was going to wind up being duplicitous, but no worries, so she's cool. Although, seriously: she's seeing McKay?! Girl, you can do better than him.
          b. Teyla. It was great to see her character branch out a bit.
          c. Beckett. I love that guy!
          d. Just about...oh, everything.

What wasn't good:
          a. There's something I don't get: just what are the Wraith planning on doing once they get to Atlantis? Even if they manage to get Earth's 'gate address from the computer, I'd think it'd be a safe bet to assume that they wouldn't get through the iris. I suppose they could fly there...but wouldn't it take them a while? Maybe not--I don't remember how long it was going to take the Prometheus to fly there--but I would think that Earth would still have some grace time.

Okay, fine, I don't know what I'm talking about. Help!

Comment

Meh, still don't like Teyla. I think I actually liked the wraith speaking through Teyla better. Oh well, maybe after she gets some sleep.

I'm just glad that they don't play the Ancients to be absolutely perfect anymore. I kinda figured that they created the wraith somehow, but I just wasn't sure how. Now we know not to mix bugs with humans. At least they didn't turn out like the horrible movies they show on the Sci Fi channel.
            Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by newton4881
              does anyone have the exact quote when weir tells; sheppard, ford, and beckett, that teylas has somne wraith dna..

ford goes something like "bates is gonna go nuts"
              SHEPPARD: You’re saying Teyla’s part-Wraith?
              BECKETT: A very small part.
              WEIR (to John): Which makes her about as different from us as you, because of the Ancient gene you possess.
              McKAY: Well, and some other things!
              FORD: Still, Bates is gonna go nuts over this.
              SHEPPARD: Let’s just keep this one under our hat.
              And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.

Comment

Originally posted by zats
                What wasn't good:
                a. There's something I don't get: just what are the Wraith planning on doing once they get to Atlantis? Even if they manage to get Earth's 'gate address from the computer, I'd think it'd be a safe bet to assume that they wouldn't get through the iris. I suppose they could fly there...but wouldn't it take them a while? Maybe not--I don't remember how long it was going to take the Prometheus to fly there--but I would think that Earth would still have some grace time.

Okay, fine, I don't know what I'm talking about. Help!
                Well, given what we've seen in the series so far, all they'd have to do is power up the gate (they probably have a ZPM of their own) and send through the Atlantis codes (which they could suck from the minds of the Atlantis crew) and just get a few squads full of soldiers through.

Comment

Originally posted by zats
                  Creepy ep! It did seem to take too long to get to the point--Wraiths want Earthling smorgasbord--but it was still good, so whatever.

What was good:
                  a. The shrink. I initially thought that she was going to wind up being duplicitous, but no worries, so she's cool. Although, seriously: she's seeing McKay?! Girl, you can do better than him.
                  b. Teyla. It was great to see her character branch out a bit.
                  c. Beckett. I love that guy!
                  d. Just about...oh, everything.
                  I think you may have misunderstood that McKay shrink relationship. He told Teyla they were seeing one another... not to tell anyone. I got the impression he was embarrassed someone caught him seeing a shrink and told Teyla that. Don't get me wrong, maybe he is seeing her. It's just not the impression I got.

Comment

Whoops...okeedokee, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                      Of course I immediately wondered if they're setting things up so Shep is going to turn into a Wraith by the end of S2 or something because of the bug attached to his neck in S1.
                      Oh, I seriously hope not. That didn't even cross my mind, but I bet it did the writers'. Let's not explore that possibility, please. They haven't even hardly done anything with the gene he currently possesses. And that was the whole reason for Shep going to Atlantis in the first place. Let's not turn him into some big mutant with the mixing of all the genes. I like the ones he currently exhibits just fine.

Originally posted by Kes
                      McKay was totally trying to cover with Teyla. I think he got caught leaving a psychiatrist's office - the man's got "issues"! - and tried to pretend they had a thing going. LOL! Gotta love McKay.
                      That scene was great. Now if it had been anybody else but Teyla who had opened the door, he wouldn't be fooling anyone with that excuse, but I loved it anyway.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                        That scene was great. Now if it had been anybody else but Teyla who had opened the door, he wouldn't be fooling anyone with that excuse, but I loved it anyway.
                        I don't think he has to worry about Teyla saying anything. She wouldn't care first of all and second she had too much on her mind anyways. Mckays secret is safe with Teyla.

Comment

excuse me if someone mentioned this before, but perhaps the current form of the wraith are the result of the mixing of ancient humans and an older non-human based form. That way the hologrom still makes sence about a terrible enemy already being there. Maybe the current form of wraith were engineered by the older form to hunt and defeat the Ancients? just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by lordaraq
                            excuse me if someone mentioned this before, but perhaps the current form of the wraith are the result of the mixing of ancient humans and an older non-human based form. That way the hologrom still makes sence about a terrible enemy already being there. Maybe the current form of wraith were engineered by the older form to hunt and defeat the Ancients? just a thought...
                            Didn't Weir (or Beckett, not sure now) say that the Wraith are a result of the bug in 38 minutes feeding off a human (perhaps ancient) and incorportating said human's DNA?

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
                              Didn't Weir (or Beckett, not sure now) say that the Wraith are a result of the bug in 38 minutes feeding off a human (perhaps ancient) and incorportating said human's DNA?
                              But we don't know if that blending was accidental or intentional. I imagine it will be answered fairly early in season two though.

Comment

This was just odd episode to me. Maybe it would be more understandable next season.
                                Originally posted by Kes
                                Two things were interesting here. One, apparently the Wraith are linked telepathically and Teyla can tap into that link because of her Wraith DNA. I have to say that was a little freaky when that Wraith started speaking thru her and seems to know all about the "pathetic" Atlantians. Are all the Wraith liked telepathically like the Borg? It seems the link on Teyla's side may only work when they get close enough.
                                Also reminds me in a way of the replicators in sharing their thoughts with each other.

Originally posted by Kes
                                Of course I immediately wonder if they're setting thing up so Shep is going to turn into a Wraith by the end of S2 or something because of the bug attached to his neck in S1.
                                Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                                Oh, I serious hope not. That didn't even cross my mind, but I bet it did the writers'. Let's not explore that possibility, please. They haven't even hardly done anything with the gene he currently possesses. And the whole reason for Shep going to Atlantis in the first place. Let's not turn him into some big mutant with the mixing of all the genes. I like the ones he currently exhibits just fine.
                                So do I.

Comment

Working...
                                X