Letters From Pegasus (117)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Fischer
    As unreal as traveling by artificial wormhole instantly? Or as unreal as modern archeology and anthropology missing not one but two ancient alien civilizations on this planet in the archeological record?

It's a science fiction television show.
    I hate people using the excuse of "it's sci-fi" to excuse bad science. Now I personally don't mind the compression thing, it is concievable (at least to me) that the military, and it's scientists had devised a way to send terrabytes of data in .3 seconds. it might not be possible to the general publc, but I can easily believe it is possible if the greatest scientific minds in the world are behind it, like McKay.

But there are some faults I can't excuse, such as the laptops not needing to be protected from the E.M.P. wave in Hot Zone, that really annoyed me because I had learnt about E.M.Ps on television, and the devastating effects on computer technology. In SG-1's Affinity, the N.I.D. lady wipes a computer with a magnet, completely disabling any data it had on it. The effects of an E.M.P are like that completely wiping data, and making computers unusable.

In Hot Zone they just unplugged their laptops and assumed they were protected from the E.M.P. In real life, they would need to be under some heavily reinforced steel/iron to be protected. Don't tell me Atlantis acts like that, because otherwise the nanite virus would not have been destroyed.

I just don't like it when people use that excuse of "it's Sci-Fi" to excuse bad normal science, I can believe in wormholes and stargates, and high tech compression ratios, for the sake of the show, but I wont be led to believe that science only half applies in the Pegasus galaxy, particularly proven, non theoretical science.
    Last edited by Whistler; 05 March 2005, 11:40 AM.

Comment

McKay has access to Ancient technology and resources. Is it not possible that he used that to hybridize/cobble together whatever to allow the supercompression rates?

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler
        Just don't use Sci-Fi to excuse bad science, I can believe in wormholes and stargates, and high tech compression ratios, for the sake of the show, but I wont be led to believe that science only half applies in the Pegasus galaxy, particularly proven, non theoretical science.
        Thank you. In my immediate family there are four doctorates from ivy league universities in the hard sciences. That was not what I was saying. What I was saying is that in the Stargate Universe there are a number of elements that exist within science, technology, and history which are not known to the public.

The supercompression rate is no more improbable as yet one more thing that is being hidden from the public than say, wormhole physics, or the BC-303, or 70 billion from the US Federal budget.

Comment

DOes anyone have an idea as to what that beam was on the planet that was being culled by the wraith in letters from pegasus?
          Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
            Thank you. In my immediate family there are four doctorates from ivy league universities in the hard sciences. That was not what I was saying. What I was saying is that in the Stargate Universe there are a number of elements that exist within science, technology, and history which are not known to the public.

The supercompression rate is no more improbable as yet one more thing that is being hidden from the public than say, wormhole physics, or the BC-303, or 70 billion from the US Federal budget.
            Exactly, I didn't mean you when talking about Hot Zone, that's just something that had bugged me before, and somebody had used the exuse of "It's sci-fi" to excuse it, just your comment reminded me of that, it's nothing against you, I agree with you! As I said, I can completely understand the compression thing, I'm no expert, but it makes sense in the form of it being something that is just developed by the military, or some very inteligent scientists.
            Last edited by Whistler; 05 March 2005, 11:38 AM.

Comment

*shrugs*

Honestly, I have no problem with Sci-Fi shows creating and/or totally ignoring Laws of Science as long as their consistant with it.

No ignoring one Law one episode and then having it real in another.
              *Insert something really cool here*

Comment

My own pet theory is that the Wraith were sucking the life out of the planet. Like how they do to humans but to planets instead.

However, I have no proof for this nor any real reason why I think so. It just made sense at the time.
                The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
                Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
                An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
                Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

I think that beam may have been extracting minerals or perhaps metals or something. Even if their ships are living they must need some kind of fuel or other resources.
                  What I find strange is that the Wraith don't seem to have built any kind of civilization on a planet from what we can see (they all live on their ships?) but yet they have weapons and technology. It must have come from somewhere. Don't they need raw materials to clothe themselves, build their ships and weapons? Do they have mines, factories etc?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

They are called HIVE ships. The wraith sleep the majority of the time remember.

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                      I think that beam may have been extracting minerals or perhaps metals or something. Even if their ships are living they must need some kind of fuel or other resources.
                      What I find strange is that the Wraith don't seem to have built any kind of civilization on a planet from what we can see (they all live on their ships?) but yet they have weapons and technology. It must have come from somewhere. Don't they need raw materials to clothe themselves, build their ships and weapons? Do they have mines, factories etc?
                      Well, when they hibernate for years their Hive ships do become in a sense a city, kind of like Atlantis really. I like the idea about them extracting resources and minerals, it does make sense if their ships are part organic. Maybe the ships suck minerals and resources out of planets like their inhabitants do out of humans.
                      The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                      Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato

Comment

Spoiler:
                        In 'The Seige Part I' Sheppard says that they "tagged the planet".
                        Last edited by Hatcheter; 05 March 2005, 12:32 PM.

a time to mourn

Comment

You might want to edit that Hatcheter its meant to be [spoilers]
                          Yeah, I remember something about that now, but still have no idea what he meant by it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronus
                            You might want to edit that Hatcheter its meant to be [spoilers]
                            Yeah, I remember something about that now, but still have no idea what he meant by it though.
                            Sorry about that. Typo in the spoiler tag.

a time to mourn

Comment

Good ep and i really want to see how SGC reacts to the news but i guess i wont see that for awhile. We get to see alot of charchterzation and emotion from some charchters that we never get to. Both Teyla and Ford had more then 2 lines and you could actually know how they were feeling and connect with them.

That one scientist guy is starting to piss me off. Trying to report on Weir.

Question when the ships came out of hyper space wasn't there more then 3 hive ships? I thought i counted 6. Or is there a ship a size between a dart and hive ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                                Sorry about that. Typo in the spoiler tag.
                                No problem. Did it myself for a MAJOR spoiler and ended up getting so much red rep thrown at me before I could amend it that I didn't know what day it was. I always preview my posts now to make sure I've done it right.

Back to subject. Maybe it was some kind of scanning device. Maybe they were scouting a suitable landing area for Wraith Hive ships one their way to Atlantis.

My dad thought the Wraith darts were forcing the people into the beam to transport them onto the Hive ships but I thought the Dart's own transporter did that any way, so this doesn't seem right.

Comment

Working...
                                X