No announcement yet.

Letters From Pegasus (117)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the general consensus of what that blue beam was? If you want to stick with the theme of the Wraith feeding on lifeforce, and the belief among many here that the Wraith ships are bio-tech, is it possible that one of the ships was actually feeding on the "life" of the planet for its fuel rather than a conventional powersource?

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478
      What's the general consensus of what that blue beam was? If you want to stick with the theme of the Wraith feeding on lifeforce, and the belief among many here that the Wraith ships are bio-tech, is it possible that one of the ships was actually feeding on the "life" of the planet for its fuel rather than a conventional powersource?
      That's my guess until proven otherwise. Makes sense. If the wraith creatures feed on people, then the wraith SHIPS feed off the planet itself. I don't know why that makes sense, but it does, dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        That's my guess until proven otherwise. Makes sense. If the wraith creatures feed on people, then the wraith SHIPS feed off the planet itself. I don't know why that makes sense, but it does, dammit.
        It's what I was thinking, too. And like you said, I don't know why it makes sense... but it does. Dammit.
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Excellent stuff. Really engaged my emotions in a way I wasn't expecting. Served to up the tension for the arrival of the wraith at Atantis and at the same time reminded us of how far this group of humans at Atlantis have come.

Carl Binder seems to have a talent for writing Dr. Weir - first "Before I Sleep" and now this. I've liked her in both episodes as well as I've liked her all season. I was touched when she was recording the messages for the families of those they've lost. She seemed like a real leader in this one. Shep recording the message at the end for Sumner's family was a nice touch.

Just a lot of great character moments with the supporting characters - Zelenka, Dr. McKay's assistant (she was charming), the whiny pony-tail guy (O'Neill is SO going to see thru his schtick). And of course McKay was a classic. He's so self-important one minute and babbling about never getting to see "Grease" the next. LOL!

For a clips show this episode had a lot of special effects. Funnily the wraith are more scary when they're off-screen than when they're on. Seeing all those ships culling the village and hearing the screams was very effective. Wonder what that beam was all about? ETA: okay just read the theory above. Wraith ships feed off the planet, huh? Interesting.

Teyla *was* a little annoying but I enjoy conflict between the characters so I didn't mind her and Shep's different viewpoints. I have to admit her little sideways looks and sly smile is getting on my nerves though. As is her hair - it's fine when she's doing the sexy thing at Atlantis, but it looks ridiculous when she's in her military gear off-world. Get that woman a battle-ponytail or something.

If they're going to do clip shows like this every season - bring them on.

And more from Carl Binder please.
          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I really loved this episode - Torri H. has really grown into Weir's character and was very impressive, especially in the videos for the "lost ones" - it was heartbreaking. Major thumbs up for her!

The video idea was great - giving several minor characters a chance to shine and give a bit more background on them. Kavanagh. . .well, we are SUPPOSED to hate him. Bring him back, please. Heck, I even liked Bates. And Rodney, for all his strutting and bragging, he really is quite a lonely person. Sheppard's video for Sumner's family again shows what a really good actor he is.

Teyla was the only problem for me - her hair was stringy and in her face again, and her attitude was irritating. I felt she was trying to force her beliefs onto Sheppard and if I had been him, I would have tossed her out to the Wraith. Her comments and insinuations that we are not good people really bothered me - referring to the conference room talk about getting the ZPM from the kiddies, and going back to pick up friends - risking Sheppard's mission. . .oooh, if we don't do what she says. . we are not good. Oh PLEASE!

Actually, Teyla is a minor complaint. .overall this was an excellent episode. Bring this writer back, by all means!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
              Well, I took solace in the knowlege that by the time he gets to his spiel about the serious misjudgements of Dr. Weir, Jack would have turned off the video.

Kavanagh (on recording): "I feel it is my duty to inform you of what I consider to be serious errors in judgement among the leaders of this expidition..."
              CLICK.
              Jack: "I think I've seen enough of that. Nice of him to write, though."

-IMF
              I was thinking the same thing when he started on his little monologe... Ford should have just popped him a good one.. then left
              I really think that Teyla's character is a good character, I think that she will grow and get better though.. and as much as she did irriate shep tonight.. I think she was doing it for the right reasons..
              Last edited by Matthew D; 04 March 2005, 07:58 PM.

Comment

What a great episode, one of the best 'clip shows' I've seen.
                As for the letters; Rodney, what can I say, I love the guy. The counting down thing cracked me up....then in the end, he just kinda breaks down and tells how he really feels. Very good insight into his character, that he may come off as pompous and arrogant, but once you get past all his BS, he get to see the REAL McKay, lovely
                Zelenka, heehee, I didn't even notice the generator in that background till you guys mentioned it; Ford, you should pay attention more
                Speaking of Ford, I'm actually liking him now, because of this episode. For some reason, up till now, Ford just bugged me. I really don't know why....but this episode really let him shine. And now, if I was Weir, I don't think I would of picked anyone better for the role of taping everyone's letters. He just seemed very respectful of everyone and very caring. I can just picture him doing all the other letters, telling people not to cry or giving them other words of encouragement
                As for the Teyla thing, I personally would have done the same thing. One thing that's always expressed on the show is that 'we don't leave our people behind,' and Teyla was doing just that. She was close with the family, making them one of her own, and she wasn't about to just stand by and let them get killed. If it was reversed, and those were military people out there, Shep would of stayed and helped them, whether they failed or succeeded, and he would have fought for it too. And you could tell that's what Shep was torn about, whether to stay or go.

Kavanagh (on recording): "I feel it is my duty to inform you of what I consider to be serious errors in judgement among the leaders of this expidition..."
                CLICK.
                Jack: "I think I've seen enough of that. Nice of him to write, though."
                I wouldn't be surprised if Ford had just 'accidently' hit the off button as he left the room

http://queenkale.deviantart.com
                "Man's main task in life is to give birth to himself, to become what he potentially is.
                The most important product of his effort is his own personaility."-Erich Framm
                "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing
                Only I will remain."

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                  For a clips show this episode had a lot of special effects. Funnily the wraith are more scary when they're off-screen than when they're on. Seeing all those ships culling the village and hearing the screams was very effective.
                  It's too bad MORE of the writers don't realize this. The whole "Wraith as an unseen enemy" thing they promised at the beginning is absolute crap. We see them all the time. Hasn't anyone seen Signs?? If nothing else, it showed how effective noises can be. Noises, movement in the corner of the eye... things like that are far more scary than some pale-skinned dude with bad teeth.

And more from Carl Binder please.
                  Yes. Please.

Comment

Originally posted by QueenKale
                    As for the Teyla thing, I personally would have done the same thing. One thing that's always expressed on the show is that 'we don't leave our people behind,' and Teyla was doing just that. She was close with the family, making them one of her own, and she wasn't about to just stand by and let them get killed. If it was reversed, and those were military people out there, Shep would of stayed and helped them, where they failed or succeeded. And you could tell that's what Shep was torn about, whether to stay or go.
                    I think it was less what she wanted as what she said to get it. Sheppard has stood up for her enough times, and saved others lives enough times, that he darn well didn't need a lecture from the high and mighty about it. Leadership isn't always about if you would sacrefice yourself for others. Sometimes it's about weather you could sacrefice someone else for others. Just like Dr. Weir had to decide that she was willing to step beyond her own ideals in Poisoning the Well, Sheppard knew that he had a duty to do and lives depended on it and Teyla's little heroics could have cost the mission. And she whined to get what she wanted. She played high and mighty.

She did not act like a leader.

Comment

They weren't HER people, they were just a people she'd dealt with in the past. Yeah, she considers them "family" but she considers everyone she's ever MET to be family and hasn't pulled this diva act before.

Also, who is SHE to decide that this friend of hers is more worthy than other families? She gets all high and mighty about Shep callously deciding things for everyone, but she is no different. She chose THIS family over everyone else and if everything had stuck to plan, that's all she would have taken. Very much a "pot, meet kettle" situation, if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                        I think it was less what she wanted as what she said to get it. Sheppard has stood up for her enough times, and saved others lives enough times, that he darn well didn't need a lecture from the high and mighty about it. Leadership isn't always about if you would sacrefice yourself for others. Sometimes it's about weather you could sacrefice someone else for others. Just like Dr. Weir had to decide that she was willing to step beyond her own ideals in Poisoning the Well, Sheppard knew that he had a duty to do and lives depended on it and Teyla's little heroics could have cost the mission. And she whined to get what she wanted. She played high and mighty.

She did not act like a leader.
                        Can I just say WORD to your entire post. This is what bugged me. It was her attitude and what she said. She knows what Shep has done and that he would save them all. He said as much. He was very conflicted. He could have easily LEFT her or just never gone to that spot. He wasn't against saving them so much as he was very aware of how important the intel was, especially after they saw the size of the Armada.

I don't blame Teyla for wanting to help the people she considered Family. But her words/attitude made me want to deck her. "I'm SORRY if you do not understand me wanting to save family" "If it was YOUR family/people" "You would have blithely left them" THat in itself ticked me off about her. She knows better. And her TOO MUCH I FEAR was the clincher.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        They weren't HER people, they were just a people she'd dealt with in the past. Yeah, she considers them "family" but she considers everyone she's ever MET to be family and hasn't pulled this diva act before.

Also, who is SHE to decide that this friend of hers is more worthy than other families? She gets all high and mighty about Shep callously deciding things for everyone, but she is no different. She chose THIS family over everyone else and if everything had stuck to plan, that's all she would have taken. Very much a "pot, meet kettle" situation, if you ask me.

Guess I can just WORD this too. Very good point. But..hey..it's different when Teyla does it. Actually...it's kinda becoming a Shep trend. No matter what he does he's wrong! LOL

I kinda wish he HAD left her. Yup.

Comment

I am really enjoying this first season of Atlantis with few exceptions. This episode was definately not one of them. I think most of the characters were portrayed well. McKay was great as always and completely oblivious to the young asian assistant, as tends to be the case with him. I wonder if she'll actually show up in the background or if this was a one-time thing (I realize most of the clips for her were actually new, but it would be neat to see her pop in from time to time). Beckett was also hillarious and had great character moments.

I tend to agree with Teyla being too quick too judge. I'll giver her that from her point of view, she has never really had to make the big decisions Sheppard or any millitary leader has to. Obviously if you tell one person you can save them, word will quickly spread and you won't have enough room to save everyone. You can't just do that in those situations. As Sheppard said, only fight the battles you know you can win (though sometimes your wrong or you don't get a choice).

In some ways, I think Weir has grown in this epsiode, but in another sense, she still seemed flat. All of her responses to the family members of teh deceased team members sounded very canned and typical. "Your son/daugher/close relative died defending others with honor, bravery, courage, yada yada yada..." The only intersting part was her being emotional durring the tapings. That and the fact she took the time to create those messages. Her message to Simon sounded more heartfelt, as it should since that was a personal message. I don't know, I just didn't like her "We regret to inform you..." messages.

Comment

Well, she didn't know most of them very well, so it was hard to make them tailored, but I think the emotion she displayed during the readings WAS what made personal and that stuff really worked for me. Plus, it shows the kind of person she is that she'd take the time to record all those messages. And Simon... *sniffle* Poor Simon. And poor Weir, too.

I didn't warm to her character immediately, but she's really grown on me over the past few eps (and in the next few as well), probably due in large part to the talent of guys like Carl Binder, who has made huge strides in humanizing Weir. Torri, too, has done a remarkable job. Met her at the L3 con in London. She's a fabulous, funny lady and it helped me to appreciate her AND her character a lot more. Weir's gone from being blah to being one of my top five fave characters.

Comment

The biggest problem that I personally had with the ep was the fact that they didn't do anything to "serlizile the background. In the parts that you could see city architecture- its doesn't look like anything on earth now.

Otherwise I enjoyed the ep.
                              Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

O'Neill:
                              "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

Carter:
                              "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

CARTER: You made [this]?
                              ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
                              McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

Slashdot:
                              "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

Comment

Originally posted by Thor's Pal
                                The biggest problem that I personally had with the ep was the fact that they didn't do anything to "serlizile the background. In the parts that you could see city architecture- its doesn't look like anything on earth now.
                                I think that was kind of the point. Particularly in Zelenka's bit where you can see the power generator (or whatever it is) in the background. Ford knows people aren't supposed to TALK about what they're doing, but he's so used to the scenery he doesn't SEE it, ya know?

Comment

Working...
                                X