Hot Zone (113)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gothann
    Starts out with McKay and a full science team and a military team in a flooded area of the city, then, they recieve a message from two scientists who are being "attacked" by something. When they arrive, one is dead and the other is in shock. After a few moments, the other scientist dies in Zelenka's arms of what seems to be hallucinations.
    After that, McKay orders everyone to stay where they are, for fear that they are infected, and contacts Weir telling her of the situation.
    OK, that's a better synopsis. Thankies.

Comment

Hmm...one comment.

One big problem with Voyager looks to be in danger of being repeated in Atlantis.

You see...Voyager had a limited number of crewmembers that could not be replenished. Yet, when one died, it didn't seem to reduce the number of crew on board.

I hope in this show the producers are trying to maintain this type of continuity. That they have a number which represents the total number of people there, adn they actually reduce it every time someone dies.

Comment

oh god i hope its only the first airing... cuz i was like... frell... i need it... oh god the evil black screen of death.... hopefully the second showin will be okay... and im taping eps too so im jsut a lil annoyed
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthespirit
          Hmm...one comment.

One big problem with Voyager looks to be in danger of being repeated in Atlantis.

You see...Voyager had a limited number of crewmembers that could not be replenished. Yet, when one died, it didn't seem to reduce the number of crew on board.

I hope in this show the producers are trying to maintain this type of continuity. That they have a number which represents the total number of people there, adn they actually reduce it every time someone dies.
          Very minor spoiler for Letters from Pegasus about the minor characters
          Spoiler:

All the minor characters who died were mentioned and remembered in this episode. They are definitely not forgotten (not in this season anyway).
          I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Yes, the evil black screen of death had me chucking things at my TV. But aside from that, what an awesome ep!! I love how Atlantis gets better with every ep. Weir's and Sheppard's interaction, Rodney showing a new level when he thought he was dead without losing his Rodneyness, the special effects, and "get away from the nuclear explosion, that's good advice." My only issue was Teyla getting infected a whole 2 seconds before they cured the virus seemed a little odd. Maybe that'll show up later.
            And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
            Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
            Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
            Daniel: Oh! You see?
            Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

It was a good episode and I thought it should be air after the Eye, since they were checking out the flood part of the city.

Thanks for the telling what was in the first two minutes of the show, Shadow. So really we didn't miss too much of it.

Comment

I still say that we're going to discover the Ancients/Lanteans aren't as benevolent as we think. Rodney gets too defensive about the possibility of it being them, meaning he thinks there's a good chance it's true.

Either that or we're gonna run into someone that'll make the wraith look like pansies. *blink* Well, OK, the wraith already look like pansies, but maybe we'll run into an enemy who's actually scary! And threatening! Wow, what a concept...

Comment

This was a pretty good episode, although I wish Weir would be firmer with Sheppard about blatant insubordination.

And I hope the producers are keeping a running tally of dead people so the number of crew actually goes down when somebody dies.

What I really like about this episode is that it opens up an interesting question of who made the virus. My first instinct says...the ancients. Maybe it was intended to fight the wraithe, who are actually quite similar to humans because they are an offspring of ancients. In fact, it'd be right along line with scifi cliches if some ancient scientist discovered a way to extend his own life by feeding off others, which turned them into the wraithe.

Then again, most of you people for some mind boggling reason seek out as many spoilers as soon as possible, and probably already know whether I'm right or wrong. (I try to avoid all spoilers of any sort, even to the point of trying to avoid episode trailers)

Comment

Shep and Teyla fighting >TOo cute and love how he admits she can kick his butt. But he just seems so...wired.
                    Interesting that he forgot his radio. Doesn't seem Shep like.

I loved his talk with Weir. I actually saw BOTH their points. I love that Joe made me feel Shep's anxiety and I was with him. What could it hurt.

Rodney believes someone should go after that Peterson. Now see..THIS is part of WHY I think Shep was right to do what he did. He was far enough away from the virus, since they didn't know he was safe with the gene, to get the suit and help. Rodney said someone needed to get the guy. I love the McShep! LOL

Know what? I felt for Liz but the person I would have really been pissed at was BATES! He made the deciding move. Yes..Shep was countermining Liz in front of Bates...but I had thought, given the Recaps that it was in front of everyone. Really it was bates and Grodin and Teyla that heard it.

And I think it's an interesting BATES conflict. Liz put him in power of head of security. He knocks heads with Shep all the time. But he OBEYED Shep. I don't think it's just out of respect for Chain of command. I think BATES felt it was the right thing to do. I think he wanted PETERSON stopped because he KNEW they couldn't stop him with doors and stuff from where they were. So SHEP was his chance to stay safe. I think that's neat.

I liked Teyla calling Shep on what he did. He was RIGHT about what Liz does. And it was nice that Teyla let him know just how alike he and Liz are. LOL

God Joe does anger/heated well.

And he looked good.

I understand Lizzie is in a snit..But I wanted to smack her. I still say had she delivered the suit to him...blah blah. Some have argued WEIR was better informed but..I'm sorry. Given how the ep was written RODNEY is the expert <I liked his dying moment of NOT DYING> but was peeved that it made Beckett out to be an idiot. Beckett discovered the ATA gene and is able to inject it into people. HELLO! Smart man. But he was the resident idiot during this crisis. Now if SUPER RODNEY Thinks someone should have gone after PETERSON..then who is Weir or anyone else to argue? Certainly not me.

I do see her point, but she was overly witchy. And I adore the conflict. YES! I really do.

And I actually love that JOHN figures out how to save them then LITERALLY does save all their butts at the risk of his own life. She can witch about it all she likes..but HER way...those without the gene would have DIED! John fixed his mistake. Did she fix hers??

Weir was pissy with Rodney too though. LOL

I loved the end. The concern. It was a good issue to see them deal with. I don't think he trusted her judgement. But this ep made me realize something, more than I had before. I think even WEIR knows that John is the heart/passion of Atlantis. She's the soul and Rodney is the brains so to speak. But John is the heart. Weir was willing to let people die. Now....John put people at risk but then put himself at risk to save them. I dont' think he was being selfish like a few people stated when it aired back when. He wanted to save them in the control area. He made a bad choice...but so did she. And it took RODNEY to convince her John was right. But it was JOHN who was the first to say it's worth the Risk and in the end the RISK was his.

I like how he blew off what he had done at first but got defensive when she laid into him.

Typical of the difference not so much of military and civilian but male and female. It happened. It was over. Happy ending. Let it go. But she wouldn't. Saw her point . Saw his. She was right to talk about it though.

I have to admit...I would have done what Shep did. That would have been my first instinct. In part because Rodney thought it was the right thing to do too. And I still love the BATES factor. Yes I do! LOL

Comment

Personally, I thought Bates obeyed Shep because Shep is the ranking military officer and he felt he HAD to obey. That, IMO, is why he apologised to Weir.

I think Weir was completely right. Shep screwed up and screwed up big time. He didn't even seem willing to consider the possibility that she might have a point. He was so consumed by his own self-righteousness that he ignored everything and everyone else. Bad Shep. He came through in the end, yes, but he made it more difficult for everyone in the process.

I felt that Weir acted appropriately in all instances, although personally I would have been a lot harder on Shep. A LOT harder. I admit that Shep isn't one of my favorite characters, but I like him well enough most of the time. However, in this ep and Sanctuary, I actually hated him. *grinds teeth* The cocky boyish act doesn't play well for me, particularly in this ep.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        Personally, I thought Bates obeyed Shep because Shep is the ranking military officer and he felt he HAD to obey. That, IMO, is why he apologised to Weir.

I think Weir was completely right. Shep screwed up and screwed up big time. He didn't even seem willing to consider the possibility that she might have a point. He was so consumed by his own self-righteousness that he ignored everything and everyone else. Bad Shep. He came through in the end, yes, but he made it more difficult for everyone in the process.

I felt that Weir acted appropriately in all instances, although personally I would have been a lot harder on Shep. A LOT harder. I admit that Shep isn't one of my favorite characters, but I like him well enough most of the time. However, in this ep and Sanctuary, I actually hated him. *grinds teeth* The cocky boyish act doesn't play well for me, particularly in this ep.

Weir made her OWN mistakes and was willing to risk alot of lives. Shep owned up to his mistake and risked HIS life to save EVERYONE. And he was one of the people who was safe from the virus.

So I respectfully disagree with you. He wasn't consumed with selfrighteousness. Not for nothing but Shep isn't about being full of himself or selfish. This is the guy who puts his life on the line for others ALL THE TIME. THe guy who's first at the side of a downed colleague. The guy who gives credit where credit is due. Who thanks people who save HIS butt.

And if you think about it...that you don't like Shep much. That's gonna color your perspective. Cause I've noticed you are kinda all about the ROdney love. Which is cool. But I'm on the other side of that fence.

Oh..wanted to add about Bates. Yeah..he apologized but I still firmly believe he felt Shep was the only chance they had to stop Peterson. **Because WHEN has Bates EVER had a problem disagreeing with Shep? He didn't argue the point at all. And when he feels Shep is wrong? He points it out. No problem. But..Just like Rodney stated straight out...Someone had to go after him and...think about it. THAT was when Shep was ready to go out the door .Because RODNEY said so. Basically..>Rodney and Shep were in synch the whole ep.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
                          And if you think about it...that you don't like Shep much. That's gonna color your perspective. Cause I've noticed you are kinda all about the ROdney love. Which is cool. But I'm on the other side of that fence.
                          I am going to step away from this thread, now. I don't appreciate being told what I've already said myself, I don't like being pandered to and I loathe the condescension that I can't like more than one character.

You see it your way. I see it mine. End of discussion.

Comment

yeah, i was mad that the first 2 minutes were black. and there was that SciFi logo sitting in the the corner taunting me. anyway, Mckay is 0-2 using electromagnetic generators.

-its strange that when u think about it, both eps where mckay tries an EMP pulse end up in something exploding in space. (redemption s6)

Comment

This was a good episode, not great but good.

Who do you think created this Nano-Virus, I think it is the Ancients. Why else would it not respond to those with the Ancient Gene?
                              So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains,
                              And we never even know we have the key.
                              Already Gone---------
                              The Eagles-----------

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
                                That's gonna color your perspective. ... But I'm on the other side of that fence.
                                What colour is it on your side of the fence?

From my position on top of the fence I thought Shep was totally in the wrong. To fail to follow orders in an emergency (non-military) situation when the decision had been made independantly of him and by minds with more of the pertinent info than he had himself; to unilaterally throw out the safety plan and do his own thing was really bad of him.

Once it's been established that Shep's not following the plan that everyone else is following, how can there be a plan at all? Weir and the scientists were trying to work stuff out, but in effect they now had to run everything by Shepherd, and they couldn't be sure that anything they wanted to do would be implemented because if Shep could commandeer the entire military contingent and give them contradicting instructions...

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X