No announcement yet.

Hot Zone (113)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't these nanovirus creators simply be renegade Ancients? Up until now, the Ancients have been shown to be a rather monolithic race that are perfectly moral and good. If this series is really about Atlantis and the Ancients, it's necessary to add depth to their kind. I really think the most logical conclusion, as the virus was stored in a self-contained suite on Atlantis, is that it was created by these hypothetical renegade Ancients. On top of that, who else would know about the Ancient marker gene?

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier, this is a long thread and I haven't had a chance to read it completely.

Comment

That is a good point, the Wraith don't know about the Ancient gene, and they are the arch enemy of the Ancients so thats a very possible explanation.
      "Nobody Screws Stargate Like Seven"

Wanna see a signed script cover? http://www.geocities.com/darkwarden/Stargate/index.htm

Technology solving problems.
      http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Comment

Why can't these nanovirus creators simply be renegade Ancients?
        If it was a separate faction of ancients from the Atlantians, then they would have had to technologically diverged from the Atlantians in order for the technology to be unrecognizable to McKay. This means different architecture, different power sources, and so on.

The ancient technology found in Atlantis is roughly at the same level as the technology found in the ancient outpost in Antarctica. That means that their technology barely diverged in 5 million years, if at all.

The show implies that it is a race that we haven't met yet.
        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I still strongly believe TPTB have started a perfect arc where by in the future for what ever reason they want to replace the wraith they can bring in new enemy that may well have create the virus that killed off the ancients. What would be interesting is if they turn out to be the furlings as mentioned on various threads.
          "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
            If it was a separate faction of ancients from the Atlantians, then they would have had to technologically diverged from the Atlantians in order for the technology to be unrecognizable to McKay. This means different architecture, different power sources, and so on.

The ancient technology found in Atlantis is roughly at the same level as the technology found in the ancient outpost in Antarctica. That means that their technology barely diverged in 5 million years, if at all.

The show implies that it is a race that we haven't met yet.
            I believe he said that nanovirus itself was like nothing he had ever seen. I don't believe that anyone in either series has encountered Ancient nanoviral technology, so I think it's tough to assume that McKay would be able to recognize if it was of Ancient origin.

Comment

Just watched Hot Zone again to confirm one of my suspicions. You do not see the stargate itself in the episode at all. Making it one of the few episodes in either series where the gate does not make an appearance.
              Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

Comment

just saw this episode. it was really good. they episodes keep getting better and better the more we get into the season
                come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni
                  Where the heck is Teyla getting her dresses? Anybody ever wonders? I mean, the rest of the personnel are wearing uniforms, only Teyla runs around in a different dress everyday... And for every occasion... Not that I'm complaining...
                  Maybe she sews... it has been known to happen...
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Did anyone else spot the gaping technical plothole with the EMP pulse.
                    Nothing wrong using it to kill the nanovirus but powering down and closing the laptops etc is not going to suddenly make their harddrives not magnetic based and therefore unaffected.
                    Other than saving their lives it would have wiped (or atleast damaged) alot of the data on hardware like the laptops they brought from Earth.
                    But maybe they couldn't think of any other way to kill it off and hoped most people wouldn't notice.

Just a pedantic point that I noticed when watching episode, though it didn't spoil it. I really loved David Hewletts acting in the episode but was dissapointed that they didn't appear to even mention that McKay was going to die to those in the control centre, i.e. Weir. Although I'm a McWeir shipper so I'm bound to complain about lack of such interaction when one of them is faced in near certain doom.

Comment

It also would have killed all their watches and whatnot, wouldn't it?

And I thought the point was that McKay WASN'T going to die. He had the gene, so he wouldn't be affected by the nanovirus.

Incidentally, what's the point of combining names? McWeir? That sounds so... cheesy. Like something you'd order at McDonalds. You don't see people running around calling themselves O'Carter shippers or being Fraisons, so why do it to the poor Atlanteans?
                      Last edited by ShadowMaat; 05 December 2004, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                        Did anyone else spot the gaping technical plothole with the EMP pulse.Nothing wrong using it to kill the nanovirus but powering down and closing the laptops etc is not going to suddenly make their harddrives not magnetic based and therefore unaffected.
                        I did wonder about that... but not being technically minded I couldn't be sure what would happen when an EMP pulse is released. I was a little surprised that only the only thing that fried was the nano virus... but well, it is sci-fi afterall.

An enjoyable episode all round, I thought... liked the tension between Weir and Sheppard. Wasn't our favourite Major a naughty boy but I think Weir was a little naive thinking that Sheppard would sit still like a well-trained German Shepherd for an extended period of time. This is afterall the Major that took on an entire Genii raiding party!!!
                        sigpic
                        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Isn't the control room of Atlantis shielded? After all people were safe from the storm's lightning if they were in the control room.

Wanna see a signed script cover? http://www.geocities.com/darkwarden/Stargate/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by darkwarden
                            Isn't the control room of Atlantis shielded?
                            Good thing every computer in Atlantis is in the control room, then.

Comment

Yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                Incidentally, what's the point of combining names? McWeir? That sounds so... cheesy. Like something you'd order at McDonalds. You don't see people running around calling themselves O'Carter shippers or being Fraisons, so why do it to the poor Atlanteans?
                                It's probably a new cheeseburger available only in Atlantis... A McWeir... lots of mustard, slices of pickled gerkin and double helpings of cheese.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X