No announcement yet.

Sanctuary (114)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Rodney's comments about Sheppard being Kirk were great. I love when sci fi shows acknowledge each other in funny but well meaning ways.
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, me too. And I loved seeing an ascended Ancient on Atlantis.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
        Yeah, me too. And I loved seeing an ascended Ancient on Atlantis.
        Me too. I also liked the Captain Kirk reference.
        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

This is actually so far my favorite episode.
          1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
          5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”
          6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 14:1-6

Comment

I wish they could have based some stories on Chaya. She shared her thoughts with John, but then it hasn't affected the show at all. Had he visited her at least? I doubt it, Mr. Kirk.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Joe Mallozzi's (not so positive) thoughts on this ep:
              http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...one-sanctuary/
              SANCTUARY (114)

Hmmmm.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

My least favorite episode of the show’s five year run, probably the franchise’s seventeen season run. The story plods along at an unnervingly leisurely pace and the characters act – well – surprisingly out of character. Gone is the adorably curmudgeony McKay we’ve grown to know over the first half of the season, replaced by a miserable, humorless imposter. Our charming anti-hero, Sheppard, meanwhile, is transformed into a lovestruck schoolboy, picnicking on Atlantis and making the moves on a woman he barely knows. And when McKay calls him on it, Sheppard responds by almost throwing down with him. Dude, this is Rodney. Remember Rodney? The guy who saved your life two episodes back? The bulk of the episode is dedicated to entertaining the mysterious Chaya while McKay attempts to figure her out. Eventually, he learns the truth in a reveal that is at once strange and underwhelming. ”Yep, I’m an Ancient.” (Cue shoulder shrug). ”Let’s have cosmic intercourse.”

The episode is bookended by action sequences that, while exciting, don’t really make a whole lot of sense upon closer scrutiny. Why was the jumper attacked by darts in the opening? There was mention of a possible hive ship nearby but we never see it. And why is the planet attacked again at the end? Is it merely an enormous coincidence that the wraith just happened upon Proculus during the events of this episode (and while Chaya was away?)? Or have the wraith been demonstrating staggering patience by staking out the planet for generations, just waiting for an opportunity to strike?

Things bounce back in a BIG way in the next episode, Carl Binder’s brilliant Before I Sleep.
              sigpic

Comment

I think I watched this episode when it first aired, but don't remember anything about it.

However I couldn't finish watching it for this re-watch as it turns out there is a fault with the disc on this particular episode. It starts off, gets to the point where they meet the 'priestess' in the shrine on the planet and then the picture freezes, won't go any further, using the 'next' function takes me straight to the end credits! So, since the Space channel is showing SGA daily and are only a few episodes behind this one I will try and catch it when it's on next week sometime and finally see this episode and come back with my comments on it then.

Meanwhile since the disc is fine after this episode I will continue on, I like the following episode having re-watched it a few times over the years. Hopefully I don't have any more glitches on other discs!

Comment

I agree with JM's review of this episode in every respect. I'm also annoyed that once again Ford and Teyla are pushed completely to the sidelines. Actually, I think they were left in the lockeroom. I'm not sure much that Ford could have done in this episode, but Teyla would have been a much better fit as the main focus. She is a female leader of her people with a deeply spiritual side and an understanding of the danger facing the galaxy, the perfect person to identify and connect with Chaya. Instead they made it a sappy and unbelieveable love story. The Kirk line was good, but not worth the waste of entire episode.

Not surprisingly, the writer and director of this episode never worked on Stargate before or since.

Comment

Thought it was another okay episode.

We met an ancient.

Tomorrow, an alternate version of Rising.
                    sigpic

Comment

^ Same, not one of my faves so far. Just OK.

My LiveJournal post
                      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I actually really enjoyed this episode. I thought it was nice to finally see an Ancient, especially since they went to Atlantis to the city of the ancients. I thought it was very much too big a coincidence that the wraith just happen to attack again when she leaves atlantis. I thought it was a shame that they did not revisit Chayya in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                          I think I watched this episode when it first aired, but don't remember anything about it.

However I couldn't finish watching it for this re-watch as it turns out there is a fault with the disc on this particular episode. It starts off, gets to the point where they meet the 'priestess' in the shrine on the planet and then the picture freezes, won't go any further, using the 'next' function takes me straight to the end credits! So, since the Space channel is showing SGA daily and are only a few episodes behind this one I will try and catch it when it's on next week sometime and finally see this episode and come back with my comments on it then.

Meanwhile since the disc is fine after this episode I will continue on, I like the following episode having re-watched it a few times over the years. Hopefully I don't have any more glitches on other discs!
                          Yeah I had a problem with my disc as well. But I eventually got it to play after numerous tries.

Another average ep.

Was cool seeing a Ancient and seeing some Wraith ships destroyed. But other than that it wasn't great.
                          sigpic

Comment

Midweek, another ep of Atlantis.

1. Chaya/Athar is still probably the hottest girl ever on Atlantis, but she is still the strongest point of this ep.

2. Rewatching this ep when drunk and tired made the cheesy parts seem not so bad.

3. Rewatching this ep though, there are moments where "Chaya" slips into "Athar" mode...i.e "Athar will protect you" when Shep says they're making off with the last of the city's supply of something or another and McKay wouldn't like that.

Still, a bit meh.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Sanctuary

After a couple of unimpressive episodes we get one which is pretty good; sure it doesn't involve any space explosions or potential defenses against the Wraith but it does involve something that's common; a love plot and one that involves the ever so known Shephard and an unknown woman. Who knew that a love plot would turn out to be so enjoyable?

Love plots do have a tendency to be sappy yes but they also have a tendency to be pretty powerful and also pretty good; case in point I thought the romance between Shephard and the the woman ("Athara") was good. It was engaging, it was almost fantastical and much of it was charming. Shephard has been one of the few who hasn't experienced a romance so to see him get engaged in such a romance with another girl is nice, especially a girl as special as her; his natural compassion seems to come across here as he naturally positions himself as a great romantic who can certainly give her woman an experience she'll never forget, he doesn't seem forced or awkward, he's just seemingly doing the best that she can for the woman he's fallen head over heals with. His personality comes across nicely as well; he laughs, he connects, he shows emotion, he even shows some of his gruffness that people have come to know his character for. He's such a relatable guy and one part of why the romance works.

Certainly a handsome guy.

"Athara" is nicely done; she seems like the kind of girl you could easily get to know and the unknown and the spiritualistic aspect of her helps to make her different; it ultimately gave her character some intellectual weight and it also provided her with a voice the others lack, sure she's beautiful but beauty doesn't equal everything and that's what her spirituality provides, something more which hopefully should involve woman of their own to look past their own beauty and utilize their smarts more. Her wonder and amazement is something that defines her character and her newness to everything makes her engaging, similar to many of these other people she is so seemingly based on; she isn't completely unfamiliar but seeing her amazed by everything (especially the sight of Atlantis) is something that makes her character really charming. The knowledge that she provides is intellectual and supports the spirtualness that her character contains, the mysteries she contains are impressive in itself (though easily solvable) and she is just someone who certainly proves to be a bag full of tricks.

They certainly take advance of mostly every romantic opportunity they can; holding hands, check; shyness, check; picnic out in Atlantis, check! They certainly know how to make it look romantic and sensible at the same time, the lighting in certain scenes are bright and suggest a certain sense of magic going on while other scenes just look like business as usual; both somehow manage to work together to provide the certain romantic feeling the people behind the episode were going for. While the romantic relationship is nice (if not a bit forced, I mean they're plastering this thing everywhere they can.), the thing that really makes it mostly fun is McKay, who is obviously jealous of their relationship despite stated motives. While the actual jealousy isn't that brilliant, it's funny to think of McKay and Shephard as if they're in a relationship; sure, he provides some of the suspicion that fuels this episode and the mystery (which I thought was nicely done but wasn't focused on alot, it's certainly a nice thing that breaks up the monotony and keeps people thinking throughout the episode.) but it's overly obvious that he's jealous and that jealousy can provide some unintentionally funny stuff; in fact McKay may be the one that provides the sheer enjoyability factor this episode provides.

Just Rodney. *laughs*

The planet that they encounter, the aforementioned "Sanctuary" looks nice and is done well enough but it's ultimately generic in it's execution. The wonder is the arguments that is brought up, the seemingly perfectness of it and that perfectness is used for the basis of some decent plot action... The writers certainly know how to use the Wraith in a way that makes any discussion unique and the argument about technology vs. spiritualism was put to good use here; even though it isn't 100% unique, it is done in an exceptional manner and it shows the willingness and the belief of religion that the episode uses so well. It also shows the position that Atlantis is in and also their desperation and willingness when it comes to such a situation, it's obvious when you think about it and when it comes to this episode; it makes the message so much clear. All of those people needing homes, I mean who doesn't think about those people and what happened to them and how we wish these types of things are possible. What's also good is that it builds up to a nice ending that just serves as icing on the proverbial cake; it puts everything into perspective, it's visually amazing and it's the most romantic ending it can be. I do admit that it's a bit too over the top though...

For something people don't pay much mind to, this is pretty good. It's got a romance plot that's really charming, it's got an argument that's good sci-fi and it even has something that provides tons of unintentional entertainment value. There are a few faults and the romance is all over the place but this is a good episode regardless, if not for seeing the performance of a jealous McKay.

7.5/10
                              Last edited by ZRFTS; 27 June 2012, 09:47 PM.
                              Back from the grave.

Comment

Its not an episode I hate nor do I love this episode. I look at this episode and I think meh. The whole romantiac interaction between John and Chaya is boring and kind of cliche. I was much more interested in mystery behind who Chaya and her people were. I thought the mystery of how the people were unhamred by the Wraith was a lot moe interesting and wish that was explored of instead of Shep "kirnking" around. It also felt like a cop out that Chaya was an Ancient. When its large and mysterious the answer seems to be Ancient. It had gotten old by the time of this episode.
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X