No announcement yet.

Sanctuary (114)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im i the only one who thinks mckay all most lost it in is ep. even when that girl said she was a a Ancient even mckay was shocked. i bet even he though he was going a little carzy

Comment

I tried to write down what bugged me about this episode and I ended up with a page and a half A4. As I appear to be th only one who disliked it I will shut up. I guess it's OK, but little things bugged me.

About McKay I thought that too. The guy's been through a lot, though, capture by the Genii, torture, friend commiting suicide in front of him, near death by terrifying hallucinogenic virus, colleagues dying from the same thing around him so soon after Gaul and Abhams, so I guess he has an excuse to be cranky.
      ~Percussive Maintenance - The fine art of repeatedly whacking an electronic device to get it to work again.~

Think before you hit 'Post': Friends may come and go but enemies accumulate. *sigh*

My LiveJournal: watch me babble about Stargate and life in general here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        But like I said, hopefully it's just a one-off and the rest of the season will be a lot better.
        I think on both SG-1 and Atlantis, they try to have shows of different natures to break the monotony. So a more romantic show was penned after 4 pretty intense episodes.

I fall in the category of the people who think this episode was good (loved those one-liners) but not great (compared to the last 4-5 episodes). I do think it is a nice change of pace episode at this point of the season, though.

Q

p.s. I guess there weren't much behind the scene romance brewing between Sheppard and Teyla.
        I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          Chaya was sentenced to protect her people for all time... and she's also pretty much doomed them all to a permanent existence on her planet. They're so healthy, and so non-violent and so... culturally naive that they wouldn't last very long if NOT under her protection. The potential for diseases alone...
          I was wondering about this as well. I found it interesting that there were a few Maoi head statues from Rapa Nui / Easter Island to be seen about the village as the team took a look around at the beginning of the ep.

Comment

Originally posted by joanne1138
            I tried to write down what bugged me about this episode and I ended up with a page and a half A4. As I appear to be th only one who disliked it I will shut up. I guess it's OK, but little things bugged me.

About McKay I thought that too. The guy's been through a lot, though, capture by the Genii, torture, friend commiting suicide in front of him, near death by terrifying hallucinogenic virus, colleagues dying from the same thing around him so soon after Gaul and Abhams, so I guess he has an excuse to be cranky.
            Hi Joanne...
            You are definitely not the only one who disliked this episode... if you refer back to some of the earlier posts... you'll see that quite a number of us found this episode a little hard to swallow. Moreover someone started a thread on "The Worst Episode of Season One..." and Sanctuary does feature quite prominently there as well.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Very very cie episode. Although I think McKay's and Sheppards action were vboth a little too much too fast. The price you pay for a story in 44 mins I suppose. Very Good i especially liked the sweet Teyla/Shep moment beofre the picnic.
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

This was an odd episode. Some bits good, some bits not so good.

Chaya as an Ancient was great, had a sprinkling of mystique about her. The scene in the conference room was excellent and her disapproval of our “backward” ways on Earth was fitting. McKay was fantastic.

We saw Wraith Hives, OK for all of 3 seconds, but we saw them!

The not so good….

The effects, were in some instances let down by two really quite appalling instances. The energy beam was low grade ball lightening that anyone could do even using Adobe Premiere! The lighting and blue screen for the Picnic scene was atrocious. The background looked like wallpaper!

As for the story it was rushed, so quick, but not that bad.

On the whole an enjoyable episode, in many ways different from the usual. We got to meet a real life Ancient, albeit an ascended one.

Well I’m already looking forward to meeting purely corporeal Ancients next week

ANCiENTS & TOLKiEN
                One race to found them all, one race to zap them,
                One race to guide them all, and in the universe transcend them

ODE TO JOY
                Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
                Wir betreten Feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt;
                Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Comment

OK...

Here we have:

1 fit female*who Matt promptly grabs off Anubis after doing some scanning with a TER*

Teyla reminding me of B5's Delenn in the pre-picnic scene.

Some fairly funny moments.

A pretty light ep overall
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Clearly some very mixed reactions to this episode. At the end, with the revealtion that Koyla was an Ancient, it seemed too much like 'Ascension' to me.
                    I thought that it was interesting that she wanted to know about earth religions and about what had happened to the Anceints they knew about. I also liked that she clearly wanted to be human becuase of her feelings for John.

I liked McKay and Beckett esp in this episode. Both were cautious, funny and yet remained wholly protective over their new home. It was also nice to see the english tech guy again. Obviously working his ass off trying to understand the ancient technology and McKay happy that he can talk to someone on his own level!

I think the end of the episode was rather rushed, and ending on Shepherd saying 'That is so cool' was just a bit lame. You also have to wonder why the wraith don't look for other ways to go to this planet or why they sent so many ships when they know not one has ever returned.

I'm not sure I liked her as an ancient, though i think there was a good chemistry between the two characters. It was also nice to see Teyla touch upon John's need to maintain a front as the ranking militiary officer (as we know this won't be the case next season, maybe this hints at a change in how he will act and also that we may see her again?)

Overall not bad, a nice change of pace, and again allowing us to realise that the ancients are really selfish b******s!

Comment

Koyla's an Ancient? Didn't know our Genii friends were Ancients you must mean Athar

Comment

I really enjoyed Sanctury.

I though the aciting of them 'digusing' themselves at the start was a bit plain obvious to myself, and as soon as Carson said about all that health-related materail -- just plain obvious they're Ancients.

I liked how Sheppard arrived and took care of the Wraith darts -- didn't the scenary on the planet look like the set of It's Good to be King to others aswell? Well, it may just be me.
                        __

__

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed Sanctuary. It was an excellent episode for both McKay and Shepherd. Loved McKay's hissy fit through out. Those two balance each other beautifully (and yes, I do think they are so doing it!).
                          sigpic

Comment

I liked this episode - it did seemed rushed but it had some good and bad points.

Good
                            Was it me or did Tayla seem slightly jealous of Sheppard and the Ancient woman.

McKay and Sheppard's interaction again - "I always behave myself!" lol
                            and "My God - he is Kirk!"

I liked the bit when Grodin said Sheppard is watching over her and McKay goes oh off course he is - slightly jealous he isn't hanging out with the hot Ancient chick.

Overall some good comedy moments and again we meet another Ancient who has been kicked out. Also the Sheppard and Ancient bit when on a picnic reminded me of O'Neill and Anise when O'Neill felt uncomfortable.

Bad
                            Where the hell did Ford go! The Writers have lost interest in this guy I swear!

Comment

I'm not sure that McKay was jealous, I just think he was suspicious (perhaps to the point of paranoia) of Chaya and how she had Sheppard "wrapped around her little finger".

His line "My God - he is Kirk!" was a cracker.

Comment

I watched this for the first time last night. Thinking I was switching on for the re-run of Citizen Joe that I missed earlier on in the week I was faced with Sanctuary. Poor me...

I think it must have been Atlantis' homage to Star Trek, the original series that is. I found the attraction between the Alien Priestess and the leading man far too fast and unconvincing. She did fall for him in a Captain Kirk way, and he just looked like he was going to get some and was pleased about it.

My being-kind-to-Sheppard theory is that when she touched him on the chest she had him under mind control... that was the only way I could explain why he took her round Atlantis showing her sensitive systems and hardly caring.

She was also wearing a dress with a slit up the leg, if that isn't orignal trek I don't know what is. The top was a bit unrevealing but it did have an interesting cut.

Plus McKay's references to Star Trek that were really funny. He had some good scenes with Weir. But HE IS SO GOOD ANYWAY. I don't see McWeir ship, I just think he's too good to waste on a single relationship, to be honest. I'd hate to see him tied down and not relating to the rest of the characters. You could have read a slashy subtext in there with Sheppard.

The rest of the episode was marked in the fact that outside the Shep-Priestess thing, everyone else gave great performances.

Beckett's accent much more improved in this ep. Less helium, more gravitas.

In summary: terrible story, unless it's a homage to Captain Kirk in which case it still wasn't good, but excellent interaction between the supporting cast.

Comment

Working...
                                X