No announcement yet.

The Defiant One (112)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good episode, I enjoyed it. I liked the continued development from previous episodes for Rodney's character, he's becoming more willing to get involved in battle and fight to help and protect his team.

Don't think the episode suffered from the lack of the other main characters, but those characters really do need to be given big storylines to develop in the near future.

One thing though, don't know if it's been covered, but how did the Wraith manage to deactivate the cloak on the puddle jumper when he found it? If he stole a wristband he wouldn't have been able to use it!

Comment

Good episode, but a few things bothered me;
      1) It was too predictable the guys would die. The suicide did something to alleviat that, as it wasn't expected, but it was obvious they would be the ones eaten by "Greg"
      2) If the Wraith are so hard to kill, why does everyone repeatedly shoot at the big bits of metal on their chest? You'd think a P-90 clip in the head would do more damage than one having punched through what looks like an inch or so of some sort of body armour. McKay I can forgive, but Sheppard being military should really know better when taking him by surprise.

Now, what interested me:
      The shields: I'm inclined to think these were from the jumper itself. These prevented Sheppard from entering the craft, but unless they are one-way (rather than 0-way), they must have activated after the Wraith left. Now, the Wraith could have set them up, but I wonder if they're an automated defence by the puddle jumper? Wraith-DNA detected, subsequent modification to the ship; shield up once Wraith outside the ship to prevent re-entry? We know it must have a DNA-analysation thing, and lifesign-sensors, so this doesn't seem too implausible (to me anyway).

And the glowey bugs; If they were anything more than alien flies used as a plot device for blowing up the Wraith, I'll eat my cat...erm, hat.

Comment

this was an awesome episode, one of my favorite so far, loved this new wriath, shows how much of a punch the things can take.

liked the new wriath equipment, grenade and portable shield and supply ship, loved that mckay finally got himself into a fight, woulda loved him using them as duel weapons.

awesome battle scenes and nice new weapons platform!
        Last edited by Elite Anubis Guard; 05 January 2005, 09:50 AM.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Nice bit of McKay and Sheppard interaction in this episode I thought overall it was quite a good ep. The glowing things reminded me of the SG-1 episode 'Prodigy' (I think thats the episode anyway) and it might be interesting to see them in a future episode. Also, I loved the wraith from this episode! He was fantastic, and he had a great walk

Comment

Bit of a disappointment for me this ep.

Why?

Because I read ALL the spoilers and the episode thread beforehand. Kinda ruins the whole experience....

Wraith guy was funny

ANCiENTS & TOLKiEN
            One race to found them all, one race to zap them,
            One race to guide them all, and in the universe transcend them

ODE TO JOY
            Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
            Wir betreten Feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt;
            Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancients Rising
              Bit of a disappointment for me this ep.

Why?

Because I read ALL the spoilers and the episode thread beforehand. Kinda ruins the whole experience....
              So don't do that!
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

anyone else notice the star trek references again? particuly the line everyone remember where we parked and then cloaks the ship!
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I loved this episode. Kudos to PDL who wrote and directed it. For me, this has been the best episode of the season so far. It had tension, drama, a bit of humour and great interaction between the characters.

Plus a real 'they did what!' moment, when Brendon shoots himself. Wow. I really didn't expect that. Of course they were the two who were most likely to die, given that McKay and Shep are main characters. But suicide? It really didn't occur to me. I thought they'd go for the tired old cliche of finding out when all the action is over that the little light creatures could heal and in thanks to Shep for befriending them instead of squishing them like the Wraith did, they'd heal him.

Anyway, I like what they did with that storyline more. Not that it was likeable! Just that it was much better TV - it was unexpected.

And McKay - I love the guy! He just gets more and more wonderful. Very watchable. He's kept me watching the show even when I didn't like most of the episodes. And this ep was a great reward for me!
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow, this was a really sad episode. Gol killing himself on his first mission (shades of elliot only without the sacrifice bit) the fact that the scientist's deaths were more or less in vain. Nice Character growth for rodney and nice action with Shep vs wraith. Although i find it hard to beleive those berettas are stored full loaded with a chambered round and the safety off. But was a nice touch with the P90 jamming. Common enough ocurnece for propely millitaries (i would think) but a rarity on TV.

Nice moment with the grenades. But surely thats the oldest trick in the book. and was the red but supposed to be a saftly like the handle of a grenade? meaning it doesn't start counting till you let go?
                    sigpic
                    Banner By JME2

Comment

OK...please bear in mind that I haven't actually seen this episode. I was in Antigua when it aired in the UK and the digibox went haywire while I was away.

Therefore I'm just relying on transcripts for this ep and Hot Zone - I will manage to catch the eps on screen at some point and will probably make some more commets then.

1. Good work from Sheppard in going one-on-one with the Wraith/Greg.

2. Wasn't sure exactly who this Brendan guy was supposed to be - some guy the McKay mentored back on Earth? Where?

3. Ford seemed to have a decent ep.

4. Good ep overall
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

You missed two of the best episodes this season Matt. And Ford didn't have much screen time, 2-3 minutes at most.

Comment

Originally Posted by Carbito
                          Quick question:
                          That shield that the Wraith activated around the puddle jumper, was that generated from the ship or from some sort of Wraith device he had on him?

The shield is generated by the puddle jumper. If you watch closely at the end of the episode, I believe Sheppard said that McKay that "you've got to put the ship backtogether, provided that you can disarm the shield".

Overall I thought this was a great episode. I kinda wished that Sheppard made even more use of the Swiss army knife and MacGyver something. Btw, was it duct tape or just grey colored bandage that he used to tied up his wound?

I was disappointed that Gaul decided to kill himself since the only reason that Sheppard and McKay were in harm's way was because of their attempt to save Gaul. I guess the show needed to have some death to reiterate how much danger it is in the stargate universe.
                          I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

But it seems curious why is the shield not being used as defence while in space if it's generated by the jumper. And while leaving the PJ, I sort of remember that the wraith punch something on his wrist to activate the shield? Or was I mistaken? lol

Comment

Just a thought: when we saw lifeform scanners this episode the wraith dot was the smae colour as the humans, yet in Rising didn't wraiths show up a red dots? What gives?
                              sigpic
                              Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by mathwizard
                                But it seems curious why is the shield not being used as defence while in space if it's generated by the jumper. And while leaving the PJ, I sort of remember that the wraith punch something on his wrist to activate the shield? Or was I mistaken? lol
                                So the shield comes with a remote control (I am pretty sure the Wraith controlled the shield with a device on wrist band). As for why the shield is not used in space (has there been any concrete evidence that it wasn't there before?) I can only justify that by either 1) the Atlantis crew hasn't discover it yet (Come on McKay, get your act together!). or 2) this shield is only a weak one to present small object (like a person) from entering and does nothing for space weapons.

Q
                                I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Working...
                                X