The Eye (111)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Eye

The second of the two-parter that started with "The Storm", this one gives you all of the payoff that you desire while giving you one of the best SGA episodes yet; so for those of you who managed to stay awake during the previous episode well... this one is for you.

For you action buffs out there, this episode is filled with even more action then the previous episode; as rain is falling down, yelling is abundant and Shephard continues his John McCain act. The tensity is exceptionally well done, there is truly a sense of time as the various people work to rid the Genii threat from Atlantis while also trying to get the shield up at the same time; the camera angles nicely focus on the emotions and really show how tight of a situation they are while the lighting truly showcases the dark, turbulent times they're going through, in fact certain scenes look like nicely shot B-movie. The steps taken to make sure that the mood is right is respectable and when seen in the right conditions it can be a tour-de-force but it can be even more respectable if the action is done well and it is; masterfully.

Truly awesome.

Shephard looks more like John McCain then he did in the previous episode and it is just awesome to see him on the offensive while the Genii try to stop him; him laying down smoke grenades, constantly checking around, shooting, sabotaging Atlantis, it's just so much fun. The gruffness of Shephard, the variety of catchphrases and action-hero mentality that he holds around makes it even more fun; there is barely a moment where the pace doesn't feel off, it's clear he isn't missing any beat, providing us with 44 minutes of hectic action that's the clear focus of this episode and it's not just Shephard who's in the action as well; Ford, Teyla and Beckett also manage to join in and man do they manage to be equivalent to Shephard. Ford's military knowledge really gets to shine as he commands the situation, barking orders like it was nothing at all; Teyla provides the backseat role but her comments helped the atmosphere that this episode has and Beckett... well let's just say that his performance was better then expected and I really enjoyed the conversations that he had with Ford, it was both humorous and serious.

Rodney and Weir as hostages are even better then they are now, mainly because of the intensity of the storm. Rodney proves himself to be very likable and relatable in this episode, which is a surprise since he's just annoying in many episodes; I believe the writers must of had a spark of inspiration when it comes to Rodney, the previous few episodes and this one, the writers must be learning their lesson when it comes to the Rodney character. Seeing him work, try to stall, yell out in pain and try to save the day; he's just so good and the heroic stance that he applies in the end, amazing. Weir also manages to be good, her leadership skills also show more here then they did in the previous episode and managing of the situation is exceptional. When she has something to say, she truly says it which helps out alot of the scenes in the episode; she isn't just standing there to fill a background role, she's playing a role and with life & death of the line, her role is even more important then ever. Separate they work well but together they provide an ever essential backbone that makes the episode what it is.

Rodney and Weir, truly important.

The Genii are also better and I'm starting to like the leader guy more and more; he is just so sinister as he plays the role of the German terrorist guy nicely to Shephard's John McCain. He also gets a chance to shine character wise as he shows some of his characteristics here, that he isn't willing to be as forceful or demanding to get what's needed to be done, he just gets it done however he can; that alone is nice. He is just so awesome, I loved many of the scenes he's in and he just plays such a pivotal part in making the episode what it is. Sora is also good as she gets some more screen time, plus her feud gets good use here; the acting Sora provides definitely is someone looking for vengeance while also having second thoughts about the actions of the Genii, definitely some good stuff but the one scene that defines her character is an awesome sword fight between her and Teyla that has purpose; beautifully choreographed and staged, this shows the skills of both of them while also providing the die-hard martial arts action you deserve. It really shows the lengths Sora is willing to go to avenge while also showing Teyla's natural skills and objections that she holds, they're both respectable in their fighting and even though it becomes soft at the end, it still ends in the most magnificent way possible giving both Sora and Teyla much respect when it comes to their characters. The other Genii were good as well but they couldn't match up with the ones shown a lot and well, they're disposable really; I did laugh at the fact that they're seemingly dropping like flies, it just fits well with the mood of the two-parter I guess.

It starts off nicely, it ends nicely and it certainly gives you the satisfaction that comes from watching a two-parter. The first part of the two-parter can be a pain to watch and the episode as one can be a bit questionable but this part no doubt is a masterful episode of SGA, simply a must see!

If that doesn't convince you then what will?

10/10
    Back from the grave.

Comment

I love to hate the Genii....

Not much to say - This ep was very cool -

We're in 2013, so I guess I can say: I wasn't really impressed with the FX when the water hit the shield. Back in 2005 it might have looked cool.

Comment

I liked this two parter. Shep going on a killing spree was cool. The trick with raising the shield to kill the enemy as they came through was great. Loved the giant wave and the smaller wave special effects. The two ladies fighting was nice but I wanted the baby face girl to die.

I missed this episode the first time around. Glad I'm going through the series again. Another thing I liked was seeing the actor that also stars on sanctuary in this episode. He looks a lot different with the beard.

Comment

As good as she seemed against Teyla, i wonder how she would have fared had she gone against Ronon.

Comment

This episode was the one that really made me sit up and take note on my journey through S1. McKay was absolutely wonderful. I know most people will focus on Sheppard in this one, and I did love the scene when he shoots Koyla and saves Weir, but all through this two-parter, it's been McKay whose performance I loved the most. He brings a really believable level of anxious intensity to the role, but shows that he can also be courageous and brazen when his people are threatened. You expect Sheppard to be cool under pressure, so it's not surprising.

I don't have any issues with Sheppard's order to shoot-to-kill, or the fact that he closed the shield. He was in a life and death situation and the future of Atlantis and the entire expedition rested on him. I don't think you can afford to play nice when you are so vastly outnumbered and your enemy is so unpredictable.
            sigpic
            sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Comment

The portable palmtop life signs detector was giving away its position by beeping constantly for no reason whatsoever. The person holding it already knew there were enemies around and the beeping didn't tell him where exactly they were.

Kolya was conveniently stupid near the end when he...
              Spoiler:
              was persuaded to leave Atlantis believing it will be destroyed even when Dr Weir showed no intention to leave herself. Out of goodness of her heart, she was willing to prevent Kolya from being electrocuted and drowned. Nope. She must have had a plan. And Kolya did suspect so at the start of the Storm, but not here.

McKay's arm showed little sign of being damaged when he worked with fiber under rain.

I was disappointed that Sora...
              Spoiler:
              didn't die in the end, and submitted to the will and law of the Humans. She was angry and defeated. At that point she should have had little hope and no goal, and should have remained in the electrified corridors, not necessarily understanding her fate or where the superconduits are exactly. Or, if she wasn't totally beaten, she could have hidden somewhere where the life signs sensors are inoperable, and escaped in a puddle jumper later.

Her anger was well placed in my opinion. Humans always end up using other civilizations. Tayla Emmagan's actions on the Wraith ship were of absolutely no "help" to the trapped person.
              Last edited by j7n; 23 January 2014, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Starship Trooper View Post
                I don't have any issues with Sheppard's order to shoot-to-kill, or the fact that he closed the shield. He was in a life and death situation and the future of Atlantis and the entire expedition rested on him. I don't think you can afford to play nice when you are so vastly outnumbered and your enemy is so unpredictable.
                I agree. Sheppard is amiable when the situation calls for it but he will also protect those he loves with a iron fist if need be.
                sigpic

Comment

No one has commented here in almost a year, huh? I remembered this episode as being one of my absolute favorites of SGA. I couldn't help but watch it again with the commentary, part of which I still remembered hearing years ago when they were laughing at the "He'll be the dot taking out the other dots" line.

Yep, this one has definitely reinforced my love for the show. The visual effects were amazing, and I absolutely loved all of Weir and McKay's scenes. And Sheppard saving Weir because hell yes.

Also, it's a crime that we never saw Sora again.
                  rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

I could have commented if I hadn't gotten stuck on my Stargate rewatch - although I've almost worked up the courage to continue with Heroes (SG1), after which SGA will soon make an appearance.

I loved Sora. And of course, Ford.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      I could have commented if I hadn't gotten stuck on my Stargate rewatch - although I've almost worked up the courage to continue with Heroes (SG1), after which SGA will soon make an appearance.

I loved Sora. And of course, Ford.
                      You should watch Cedar Cove after Heroes.

Starting SGA was my only motivation to get through Heroes. Now that that's finally done, I don't know what's going to eventually get me through the last couple seasons of SGA. The prospect of starting SGU?
                      rest easy now

sigpic

// tumblr //

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
                        You should watch Cedar Cove after Heroes.
                        Sorry, I'm generally not interested in shows like Cedar Cove. Not even if they have favorite actors in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Sorry, I'm generally not interested in shows like Cedar Cove. Not even if they have favorite actors in them.
                          Ha. It took me months to get around to watching it because I didn't think it looked interesting. I was pleasantly surprised; it's actually very charming, and the scenery is breathtaking.

Though I still think Teryl makes it 110% better.

You'll have to think of some way to get through season seven, though. Leave the SGA first season DVDs in a conspicuous place as a reminder or something. If you have them
                          rest easy now

sigpic

// tumblr //

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
                            You'll have to think of some way to get through season seven, though. Leave the SGA first season DVDs in a conspicuous place as a reminder or something. If you have them
                            The only DVD's I don't own are season 4 and 5 of SGA, and the two SG1 films.

Comment

I too thought it was a pity we never saw Sora again.. but then again maybe Coyla killed her.

Comment

He might have. I sure wouldn't put it past him.

Comment

Working...
                                X