Underground (108)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by watcher652
    I saw the repeat on SciFi tonight. I noticed 3 things that I missed the first time:

- When the team first comes thru the Stargate to the Genii planet, Teyla is telling the team about what food the Genii produce. She says "Tava Beans." McKay mis-hears this and say "Java?". As in JavaBeans, a computer term. I like how McKay gets in his computer jokes. He had one about Windows in Childhood's End.
    Java. As in the island in the south pacific ocean known for it's coffee plantations. I think the that it's much more likely he was refering to coffee, since coffee was discussed earlier in the episode.

Comment

- When the team first comes thru the Stargate to the Genii planet, Teyla is telling the team about what food the Genii produce. She says "Tava Beans." McKay mis-hears this and say "Java?". As in JavaBeans, a computer term. I like how McKay gets in his computer jokes. He had one about Windows in Childhood's End.
      Originally posted by Major Fischer
      Java. As in the island in the south pacific ocean known for it's coffee plantations. I think the that it's much more likely he was refering to coffee, since coffee was discussed earlier in the episode.
      Ah, but who do you know calls those kind of coffee beans Java beans? While JavaBeans is a common (nowadays, anyway) computer software term.

David Hewlett, being the computer geek that he is, would appreciate the computer reference.

We need a writer, or David, to weigh in on this one!

My kind of guy:
      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

I know nobody cares about my opinion, but I personally took it as a coffee reference, as the opening made him look obsessed with coffee and we've seen him drinking coffee other times this season as well. And coffee drinking is a lesser-used tech geek stereotype as well in some cases isn't it?

Comment

Ooooh....Evil Chief O'Brien.

OK episode seemed a bit choppy at times moving from one portion of the story to another. Also seems to be a sort of prologue to a much larger Tauri/Genii Conflict.
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
            OK episode seemed a bit choppy at times moving from one portion of the story to another. Also seems to be a sort of prologue to a much larger Tauri/Genii Conflict.
            Spoiler:
            Indeed.
            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
              Spoiler:
              Indeed.
              How is "Indeed" a Spoiler Tea....ERR...Pig?
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

Well, so far Atlantis just hasn't grabbed me by the throat and shaken me up, but I continue to watch and record and haven't given up on it yet.

Last week's episode was the first that really held my attention all the way through. And I quite enjoyed this week's too. Those darn, pesky aliens. Don't you know they're never what they seem? Always up to something, darn them.

Wanted to smack that Sovra or whatever her name was all the way through. Little cow. And I enjoyed the decloaking of the puddle jumpers at the end.

Weir continues to....slip right past me. She has zero screen presence for me. I often find myself wondering what the point of her character is? She never seems to really have a handle on anything or be on top of a situation. Mostly her 'orders' get ignored by Shepherd and anyone else and I find myself thinking why no one as of yet has just mutinied and bundled her into retirement as useless.

I didn't have a problem with Torri Higginson playing the character on SG1 - although I greatly preferred Jessica Stein's portrayal. But in Atlantis she's just so bland and her character does nothing to help move stories along. I say pack her off to the mainland and leave Shepherd in charge. Seems like he is in all but name anyway.

Re the great coffee debate. Java is actually a pretty common nickname for coffee. It's kind of gone out of fashion in more recent years, but McKay is certainly old enough to use it as a term for coffee.

Albion (still watching...mostly enjoying...)
                Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I did like this episode a lot.

The fact the Genii are such arrogant pricks appeals to me.

I want us to kick their asses.

I agree the episode was a bit choppy and always kept on thinking "Evil Chief O'Brien", as he has been titled, would start to come out with stuff like "The tachyon emitter array is corroding the inertial field matrix" or whatever

This episode was for me, as good as Poisoning The Well but still, I crave a Rising beater….come on….

ANCiENTS & TOLKiEN
                  One race to found them all, one race to zap them,
                  One race to guide them all, and in the universe transcend them

ODE TO JOY
                  Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
                  Wir betreten Feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt;
                  Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Comment

OK...

1. Well the last time I saw Colm it was on the big screen in a pic called LayerCake. His character was cool in that. His character in this ep make for a pretty good ****** here!

2. While the Genii aren't out and out evil, they are complete morons! For starters what is the point of getting into a pi$$ing contest with a potential ally just because they're 'new to the neighbourhood' as Jacob Carter might say and woke up the local bad guys from hibernation ahead of schedule. And I doubt they'd have given a f-k had the positions been reversed between Tyrus and Teyla!

3. Having said that, this ep did have a lot of cool moments. Unlike this point in SG1, where Jack was the only character that stood out, the team's looking fairly rounded at the mo. Teyla seemed to look slightly better with the short hair and a lot looser than we've seen her so far which is cool. Full marks to Sheppard for out-bluffing the Genii at the end!

4. I though McKay was talking about coffee when he mentioned 'Java' as well!

Overall, they're sticking with the same gear they went up to in PtW! Maybe last week's ep has the edge but only an edge.
                    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                      OK...
                      Maybe last week's ep has the edge but only an edge.
                      Yep agree with that and I'd say Steve, sorry, Mr. I Am Your Death is the main reason for it. He was great

ANCiENTS & TOLKiEN
                      One race to found them all, one race to zap them,
                      One race to guide them all, and in the universe transcend them

ODE TO JOY
                      Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
                      Wir betreten Feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt;
                      Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Comment

I liked this episode, and now I'm really looking forward to 'Home' next week. The Genii were really annoying....but in a good way, if that makes sense

Comment

Really enjoyed this ep. I love Colm Meaney, and he was great in this.
                          I genuinely didn't see that coming at the end, very cool. Go Sheppard!

I do like the Genii, and I'm looking forward to seeing them again.
                          All the characters seem to be being developed, that's nice at this stage in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                            How is "Indeed" a Spoiler Tea....ERR...Pig?
                            Look at the context.
                            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I liked Underground, the story, the camera position and the basic context of the episode. Finally a little bit more on Teyla and Ford, but yet still not enough.

McKay was again great, with the atomic bomb line. Great!
                              __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                                Wanted to smack that Sovra or whatever her name was all the way through. Little cow.
                                Me too! I thought she and Teyla were going to go at it a couple of times there. Perhaps they should've done - it would've given Teyla something interesting to do.

The Genii were seriously creepy. I didn't like them at all, but I suppose that's the point! Great villain material - especially Colm Meaney.

Originally posted by Albion
                                Weir continues to....slip right past me. She has zero screen presence for me. I often find myself wondering what the point of her character is? She never seems to really have a handle on anything or be on top of a situation.
                                I like Weir a lot. She tries to see every point of view when making a decision, which is good. Though sometimes she does agree to Sheppard's ideas a little too quickly! She also got in some great snarky lines in this episode. Gotta love the snarkiness.
                                "Never give up! Never surrender!" - Galaxy Quest

Comment

Working...
                                X