No announcement yet.

Underground (108)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked this episode a lot; IMO it is one of the best outside of "Rising." The Genii storyline was set up nicely. It will be interesting to seem what impact the Genii's will have in the future. It is always good to see Colm. I still don't understand Weir though. The Weir in Stargate SG-1 S7 was confident and strong in her convictions, especially regarding the Goa'uld. The Atlantis Weir lacks what made the S7 Weir a strong leader. Despite taking a stand against Shep a couple times, she easily caved in after a few words by the Major. I just don't understand her. BTW, what is up with Teyla dissing Ford to his face? "I thought you were a man?" That's not cool.

Comment

This ep was awesome. I loved it. Loved the wraith ship, loved the underground city, and especially loved the ships decloaking at the end.

vfxsoup, kudos to you and the people you work with. I still drool whenever I see an exterior shot of the city
      We are the ori. You will be assymilated. Resistance is futile.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthespirit
        Okay, several problems I have with this episode.

1) Their secret hatch was *really badly* hidden.
        >>>>snip<<<<

So...we have Teyla about ten times as naive as Daniel with nobody balancing her out with hard military disipline like Jack, we have Shepherd who acts like he's on vacation, we have Ford who doesn't really say much of anything, and McKay who's never in his life heard of the word 'practical'.

We've seen some signs of hope with a few of the earlier episodes, but I'm really hoping Atlantis writing turns around quickly.>>>snip,sorry<<<

yes i'll have to agree with you - i don't fancy being in the minority but i wasn't too interested in tonight's episode. The plot device of team members simply spilling the beans without thinking is transparent and uninvolving. Very little action. And another stand off at the end, like in childhood's end. Amish like people. This episode more than any previous one reminded me of some of the less impressive eps of sg1

teyla: leave her at home. She's more a diplomat, not a real soldier. A little common sense goes a long way. Another tedious moment when I knew she was going to be the nice one.

good part: smart sfx. love the cloaking on the jumper

the whole goal seemed to be to get on to the wraith ship so we could creep out at those poor preserved people--and get the intel for another episode. I wish i could've like it more. it was humorous at least.

Comment

This was a pretty good episode. We made an enemy, YEY! I'm surprised Sheppard didn't have one of the jumpers send up a GJOD to show them what they were up against, though.
          sigpic

Comment

Each week gets better with Atlantis - and they started out good to begin with!

I think one of my favorite aspects of this show is that they are separate from Earth/U.S. politics. I understand the necessity of it in SG-1, and it makes for good plot device, but it's refreshing to NOT have it in Atlantis. I think it really came out this week - ethically and morally they ultimately only answer to themselves. Are they going to trade nuclear technology for food? - it's entirely their decision to debate and make, not some administrator somewhere off-camera. For me that makes it less of a "military" show and more of a "sci-fi" show.

I also very much like the fact that they are setting up some long-term arcs right from the get-go. Stand-alones are nice, but getting two or three recurring storylines bouncing around make for some interesting plot development, IMHO.

And Mark - all I can say is WOW! Keep it up!

-tera'ngan
            nuqDaq yuch Dapol

Comment

good episode, looking forward to the next Genii episode already

and next ep General Hammond and someone who was supposed to be dead

Comment

Oh, Underground how much did I love thee, let me count the ways. This has got to be my new favorite episode of Atlantis, so far. This, to me, felt like a real Stargate episode.

There were so many things I loved I don't even know where to start... But here we go, anyway.

Things that made me go ROFL:

- "I wasn't hitting on your daughter."

- Sheppard/McKay banter. I could just listen to them talk forever and ever.

- "You know, if people could just learn to keep their secret underground hatches looked." ~ McKay

- "We say, 'What giant underground bunker?!" ~Again, McKay

Things that made me go Hmmm, that's surprising. I *like* it!

- Teyla. What a turnaround. For the first time I felt like she was a three-dimensional character. Lovely haircut, as well.

- The twist with the Genii people. And Colm Meaney is great.

And some other stuff I enjoyed:

- Nice use of creepy and "slithering" music inside the Wraith ship.

- The fact that they (Sheppards team and the Genii) kept going back and forth on the whole 'trusting each other' issue. You could never really be sure which way they were gonna turn. As proven by the scene at the end, where the two puddle jumpers came out of hiding.

^

I guess the only thing (that I can think of, right now anyway) that I didn't like so much, were the scenes where Sheppard needed to return to Atlantis to clear things with Weir, in between negotiations. That slowed things down a bit, but I suppose it was necessary.

^

I also agreed and symphatized with Teyla in that situation with the guy in the pod. As much as I understand what was at stake, I don't think I could have walked away from that guys pleas, either.
                Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Really good episode. Atlantis seems to be hitting its stride. I agree that it was stupid for Teyla to try and rescue the cooned man. That scene reminded me of "Aliens" where the Marnies enter the hive and find that woman alive.
                  It wasn't stupid I'd have started disliking Teyla if she didn't try to save the guy. I was also getting an Alien/Aliens vibe from it. The approach to the Hive Ship felt like a mix between finding the alien ship in Alien and the Dropship flying to the colony in Aliens.
                  sigpic
                  I am Zim, Irken Invader Zim. I am responsible for the safe obliteration of the human race, not you!' - Zim - Invader Zim
                  'Don't worry, officer. You are in a filthy Earth brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head! ' - Zim - Invader Zim
                  'Now, to unleash screaming temporal doom! ' - Zim -Invader Zim

Comment

Why isn't there a protocol to involve Weir when negotiations get serious?
                    Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

Good episode, story-wise. We learn more about life in Wraith Universe, we makes friends and enemies, we visit worlds and ships, we get tech and intel. Plot lines are pulled along from earlier eps and set up for future ones.

Character interaction is maintained: Rodney blabbing. Shep holding Rodney's leash! Sergeant Bates scores over Shep!

My only gripe is Sheppard the Pilot as Sheppard the Ground Team Leader. The Air Force pilots I know are mad for flying. Sitting around yammering with administrators and or being diplomatic is just not their thing. Sheppard looks a bit bored at meetings, and his unorthodox negotiations piss off Weir. But I would like him to voice a little characterization of his feelings. He just seems to be being The Leader because O'Neill told him to go and then Sumner was killed. Perhaps something is coming up. I hope so. We've forgotten the whole 'He's not a good soldier in Sumner's opinion because of his going against orders thing' in Rising. Lt. Ford doesn't have a prob with him, which could be a puppy dog Ford thing. Is Bates just a jerk, or does he have anti-Shep issues? Perhaps the future will tell, but often things set up in a pilot episode go by the wayside when the writeres have to churn out scripts every week.

We see and hear Dr. Peter Grodin.
                      No Beckett But we had plenty last week, he was off this week, mourning Perna.

And, Colm, really, you're tired already of casting calls for low-budget movies made in deary Eire. You want the safety and security of a weekly Sci Fi television series again, don't ya? Don't ya? Pleeeaseeeeeee

Comment

Quite a leveled ep, and a bit of a fun ride.
                        +====
                        Ex note- to VfXSoup - Mark
                        Gotta add a note, awesome job to the entire crew!

Comment

I am glad Dr. Weir loaned me to Teyla. As the 1 personal item that Dr. Weir was allowed to bring with her, it is my duty to combat helmet hair on all the crew's heads.

Comment

I thought her personal item were all her different clothes she's been wearing

Comment

Boy is there alot I would like to say, but I hate typing.
                              First of all this is the first season, we all know,(the veterans of SG-1 that is), you don't always put, the hole meal on the table. Seppard puts to much trust in Teyla words, hes got to get a little bit more Jack in him. You can't always trust your new friends. This show is like a chess board, you have to think at lest 3 or 4 steps ahead before you move.
                              As for Seppard trading C-4 for food, agin looks are decieving, what do you expect from the Amish, surely not nucular wepons, let alone 3 barral shot gun.
                              Atlantis needs food now, they might find it in Atlantis some secret food replacater, but give them time.
                              Last edited by Chirp; 29 August 2004, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Livi2Jack
                                Why isn't there a protocol to involve Weir when negotiations get serious?
                                My bet is that it certainly is now!

I actually think this might have been a good excuse for them to let Weir leave Atlantis more often. And may have been one of the seeds deliberately planted in this episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X