Home (109)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd
    And just because we didn´t see any of the others doesn´t mean that they didn´t, it just wasn´t shown in the episode.
    Sorry, I can't agree. Jack is now the general in command of the SGC, and he should have been there for such an importatn event--or at least, there should have been an explanation offered to allay suspicions. And McKay, the way he feels about Carter, would have gone looking for her.

The fact that none of the Atlantis team seemed to *have* any suspicions at all--so no explanations were offered--just made them look stupid. There should have been bells going off from the first minute they arrived at the gateroom.

J.
    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

SG1: New Order
      Spoiler:
      Weir's exact words about Hammond:

"No... General Hammond is being promoted. He'll be overseeing all things relating to the earth's defense on behalf of the Pentagon and Washington. The SGC, the 303 Project, the Antartic Site. Unofficially it's being called 'Homeworld Security.'"

The words lieutenant general are no where in there, and before you say that it can be assumed that responsibilty comes with a higher rank, Stargate has never been logical about that. Stargate Command itself should be under a four star general on the basis that it is a 'Command'.

SG1: Zero Hour
      Spoiler:
      Jack's letter to Hammond we never see the first page and how it is addressed.

Have I missed another mention of Hammond?

Comment

I think the complaints about O'Neill's absence are a bit on the nitpicky side.

Think much of this has to do with the availability of Richard Dean Anderson; if he was up in Vancouver full time, it'd be easier to arrange the shooting.

As well, he doesn't serve much of an internal, story-based function, as his only reason to appear is to...show he's there (he would not serve in the debriefing process and would pop in for social/morale purposes and to show continuity with SG-1; not worth the logistical problems and expense for that kind of payoff....).

Comment

I wonder how they handled the shooting of Atlantis on the SG1 sets so as not to get in the way of SG1's shooting schedual...

Comment

Just film in the parts not being used.

I wonder if McKay's lab is also Carter's lab (which is also the infirmary, I think... or Daniel's lab... or both). And I mean that in a strictly locational sort of way and by no means am trying to imply that McKay and Carter share a lab.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
              I wonder how they handled the shooting of Atlantis on the SG1 sets so as not to get in the way of SG1's shooting schedual...
              That's called production management.....

On the days that SG-1 is set for location shoots, just swoop on in to the SGC set and film...Needs a little organization, that's all....

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                [...] and by no means am trying to imply that McKay and Carter share a lab.
                However that would be fun to watch.... at least for the audience (a.k.a. us)

Comment

Originally posted by FieryHands
                  Yeah, I noticed. What's up with that? Saw a highlander ep where an Egyptian Immortal who'd been dead for some thousands of years learned how to walk in heels clumsily. But of course, like all people from another time/planet, she magically knew modern english.

I agree, I Sheppard probably picked that outfit out for Teyla, or imagined the sales person going, "oh, you have to try THIS one, you'll look so cute!"
                  Oh lord, yes, the sales person. NO doubt about that, especially if it cost a lot, and WHO paid for it? I suspsect Sheppard went in with her for a while but after an hour or two couldn't take it anymore, and gave her the credit card and went back to ponder all the weirdness he was observing.

Comment

I want to know who paid for the pizza's?

Ford said he caught the pizza guy and just brought them up? Did he mug him?

I liked this episode a lot, but it would have been better if they played it up like they really went home and then tricked us at the end.

It was kind of a waste since we already knew they weren't really home.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Seven
                      It was kind of a waste since we already knew they weren't really home.
                      I think if we had not been spoiled by trailers and other spoily stuff we actually aould have been tricked in thinking they are home.

Well, I really enjoyed it anyway - since I'm used to catch up any spoiler I can get

Comment

I think the summary of the ep itself made it obvious they weren't really home. "The crew finds a way back to Earth then learns they may not get back to Atlantis." That smacks heavily of set-up right there. But yes, SCIFI does have a long history of screwing up the suspense...

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                          SG1: New Order
                          Spoiler:
                          Weir's exact words about Hammond:

"No... General Hammond is being promoted. He'll be overseeing all things relating to the earth's defense on behalf of the Pentagon and Washington. The SGC, the 303 Project, the Antartic Site. Unofficially it's being called 'Homeworld Security.'"

The words lieutenant general are no where in there, and before you say that it can be assumed that responsibilty comes with a higher rank, Stargate has never been logical about that. Stargate Command itself should be under a four star general on the basis that it is a 'Command'.

SG1: Zero Hour
                          Spoiler:
                          Jack's letter to Hammond we never see the first page and how it is addressed.

Have I missed another mention of Hammond?

Sorry, but "promoted" means exactly that. Not simply a lateral move to another command, even if that command covered a wider area. Especially in the military. When they said that Hammond was promoted, they were telling us that he had gone up in rank. That would move him to a three-star. There's nothing equivocal about it.

J.
                          "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

This was explained in about ten different posts after the one you quoted. I think it's extremely unlikely that they would have thought about briefing Jack because they aren't under Jack.

Think of the homeworld security stuff this way, Antartic Outpost/Atlantis Expedition (they are related to one another directly), and than the SGC/Alpha Site/Prometheus (the Pommie crew wear SGC patches), and than maybe Nellis and the research programs. They are all under General Hammond (sited by Weir in New Order. But they are not in each others chain of command. Jack does not command Nellis. The Pommie commander isn't in authority over the Antartic Outpost.

It's a bit like the combined combat commands that the US military is divided into. O'Neill is the commander of one element (like, say, Central Command), and Weir is in command of another (like, say, Southern Command). Hammond, in this analogy is the Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. You don't expect the CG of Southern Command to brief the CG of central command about problems in the Panama canal. Now, he may get briefed on them by a lower ranking officer (because the canal has an effect on if his troops get to the Middle East), but SouthCom wouldn't answer to him, because it's not his area of authority.

Not sure how much that made sense.
                            But they were at the SGC, which *is* Gen. O'Neill's base and area of command. Hammond may outrank him, but they should expect to see O'Neill on the base and certainly on any key briefings that take place on his base, especially as the stargate may be involved in maintaining contact with Atlantis.

J.

Comment

Excuse me for interrupting the conversation about Hammond's rank. On a different topic...

If you look at the GateWorld images for "Home", there is an episode photo that shows McKay on the couch sleeping in a different posture than the one that finally made it into the episode.

In the photo, he looks much more natural sleeping with his head turned to his left, his right arm bent up above his head and his left arm lying bent across over his stomach. In the actual episode, he's lying on the couch with his head turned to his left and both arms straight down against his sides. I noticed it for 2 reasons. One, I had already seen the photo, so I was expecting McKay to look like the photo. Two, it was kind of an odd sleeping posture, at first it almost looked like he was tied up.

But then, at the end when we see the team unconscious on the surface of the planet, McKay was lying face down with his head turned to his left and with his arms at his side. So his "nap" posture was reflecting his real unconscious posture.

I thought that was pretty cool.

In the stray thought category, since they also have a "behind the scenes" photo of McKay on the couch, I kinda thought that first photo caught David actually napping!

My kind of guy:
                              "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                              Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                              (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

I just realized that this episode was almost an exact duplicate of an earlier SG-1 episode.

If you remember back a few years ago SG-1 went to the gate in Russia because the Russians had found an amazing water sample that contained energy. When SG-1 got there they found all the scientists dead. So they took a sub through the gate (it was a water planet) and eventually couldnt leave. It was revealed at the end that the water contained life forms and we were accidently killing them. The "water beings" even talked to them.

Comment

Working...
                                X