No announcement yet.

Childhood's End (106)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice episode. Seemed a bit Peter Panish at times (the village-eurgh) but had a good solid plot nice moral issues but I don't think Rodney would do that he isn't an immoral character. The elder's eyes were crossed to, made the episode a little more strange.
    Last edited by Crazedwraith; 17 November 2004, 08:31 AM.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Terok
      Didn't McKay and Ford go back to Atlantis in the puddlejumper with the ZPM when the shield was down. When they came back they said they parked it outside the shield. One thing though, I thought Sheppard was the only one who fly the puddlejumper at the moment.
      After McKay turns of the ZPM, he and Ford are walking back to the Puddle Jumper with the ZPM. McKay is talking to Sheppard on the radio. McKay says he needs to get the ZPM back to the lab. Sheppard asks him how he was planning to do that. McKay says he's had the gene inoculation and that Sheppard has given him a flying lesson. Sheppard says McKay needs more than just a five minue lesson to fly the PJ, but McKay says it's not like he's going to be dog-fighting Wraith Darts. He and Ford can handle it. Sheppard lets him go.

My kind of guy:
      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

This was an interesting episode. Indeeds reminds me of the trials and tribulation() of season 1 of sg1

i liked mckays development, funny guy.

But it seems to be making the ancients look like pussys cos of how easily the jumper was taken down!
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
          But it seems to be making the ancients look like pussys cos of how easily the jumper was taken down!
          Yes, how easily it was taken down by there own EM-interference generator

This episode was a bit strange. The only annoyance I had with it though and it seems to be a problem in all episodes of Atlantis since Hide & Seek: The levels of lighting.

The levels of white/brightness/contrast were varying so much it made some scenes look tacky.

ANCiENTS & TOLKiEN
          One race to found them all, one race to zap them,
          One race to guide them all, and in the universe transcend them

ODE TO JOY
          Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
          Wir betreten Feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt;
          Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Comment

Well....
            all i can say is this made me think that one of the writers had recently read Lord of the Flies...
            And I was getting annoyed that Lt Eliott showed up...

I really really thought that first MacKay wouldn't have just taken the ZPM, and that Ford, Sheppard and especially Teyla would have fought him on that.

Which sort of made the ep a bit silly really. And there was no reason for the kids to be living in the trees.

Basically, although I haven't seen the film, I just kept thinking they were going to push Piggy off a cliff and turn into savages. Even the wraith shrine was too evocative of the pilot hanging by his parachute harness straps in LotF...

So, I watched and enjoyed because it's Atlantis and it's shiny and new. But if it goes on like this, I'll only be watching to letch. And that would be a shame.
            (oh and sorry, no time to read the BL, so sorry if someone else mentioned LotF)
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
              And there was no reason for the kids to be living in the trees.
              When I saw the tree village I was half-expecting Ewoks to show up!

I did like this episode a lot though. Absolutely loved the scenes between Rodney and the kids. So funny. I love how mean he was to them! And then how Ford went the opposite way and was being nice to them (Ford's so sweet!).

But where did all the chocolate come from? Was chocolate really considered a vital item of food when they left for the Pegasus Galaxy? Or is that what Rodney was carrying around in his backpack - a secret stash of sweets? Poor Rodney - they gave his chocolate away!

Rodney and the kids made the episode though. You know he loved them really. Or maybe not!
              "Never give up! Never surrender!" - Galaxy Quest

Comment

So, I watched and enjoyed because it's Atlantis and it's shiny and new. But if it goes on like this, I'll only be watching to letch. And that would be a shame.
                (oh and sorry, no time to read the BL, so sorry if someone else mentioned LotF)
                All very well stated. Really was my least favorite episode the entire season so far. I kept wishing they'd based it off of Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End because I found it boring as all hell.

Comment

Originally posted by CultTVGirl
                  But where did all the chocolate come from? Was chocolate really considered a vital item of food when they left for the Pegasus Galaxy? Or is that what Rodney was carrying around in his backpack - a secret stash of sweets? Poor Rodney - they gave his chocolate away!
                  You've not met many military people, have you?

If they put nothing else in rat packs apart from chocolate and loo paper most military types would be ok. No chocolate would be something approaching grounds for a serious mutiny.

Apart from the fact that it can deliver a good dose of sugar (energy) pretty quickly, never underestimate the feel-good factor that a a good ol' bar of chocolate can impart.

To me it seems pretty mean getting them hooked on chocolate - since I'm guessing they only have a finite supply. And I didn't notice a plethora of Dentist's surgeries

sigpic

Comment

You've not met many military people, have you?

If they put nothing else in rat packs apart from chocolate and loo paper most military types would be ok. No chocolate would be something approaching grounds for a serious mutiny.
                    Agreed. The chocolate and the tabasco sauce in MREs

Comment

To me it seems pretty mean getting them hooked on chocolate - since I'm guessing they only have a finite supply. And I didn't notice a plethora of Dentist's surgeries
                      Good point.

On the whole, I enjoyed the ep, although I kept thinking of Logans Run.

One little point, though.
                      When McKay came back he said that he had parked the ship just outside the limit of the field, so that they could still fly when the shield was back up.
                      Then at the end He said he had managed to increase its size by 50%, to give the kids some more room. Wouldn't that have put the jumper back inside the shield again?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
                        Good point.

On the whole, I enjoyed the ep, although I kept thinking of Logans Run.

One little point, though.
                        When McKay came back he said that he had parked the ship just outside the limit of the field, so that they could still fly when the shield was back up.
                        Then at the end He said he had managed to increase its size by 50%, to give the kids some more room. Wouldn't that have put the jumper back inside the shield again?
                        eek, a Logan's Run mention: I fully expect GateGipsy to turn up very soon!!

As to the field: if MacKay had worked out how to increase the field before he came back (seems likely to me) he would have parked the jumper outside of the new increased energy field

They just have to walk further, that's all

sigpic

Comment

i thought it was piss funny with the kids and rodney. he really hates kids doesnt he!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                            All very well stated. Really was my least favorite episode the entire season so far. I kept wishing they'd based it off of Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End because I found it boring as all hell.

It wasn't that bad, although it wasn't an amazing breath-taking episode, so I'd agree to an extent. But seeing Rodney and the kids was just great.
                            __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                              i thought it was piss funny with the kids and rodney. he really hates kids doesnt he!
                              It was funny. I don't think Rodney hates kids, he's not used to being around them, especially ones that follow him around all the time.

Comment

lol or after his coccy.

cant wait for next epsiode, im becoming fond of this new series!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X