Childhood's End (106)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having read all the posts, now, a few thoughts on other's thoughts:

The sacrifices: I don't think the sacrifices were required by the Ancients, per se, just by the ancestors of this particular planetary society.

That being said, I think that the fact that the Ancients both seeded this galaxy and dabbled in ascension makes the Pegasus humans see death from a different perspective than your run-of-the-mill MW galaxy human.

Just as these humans know about the Ancients and what they had done for them, so, too, they may not fear death; who's to say that the Ancients don't allow these humans to ascend? Or, at least, these humans may believe that ascension awaits them at death, because of the fact that the Ancients ascended.

If I understand correctly, our Milky Way galaxy was not seeded by the Ancients, but rather, humans evolved here. We are, as Daniel(I think) said, the second evolution of the human form. Ascension may not be automatic for "us" as we are not the direct descendants of the Ancients, but it may well be automatic for the Pegasus "children" of the Ancients.

If ascension was part of the Pegasus galaxy experience it would go far in explaining the Athosian death rituals, too.

Ford: Yeah, he had the best lines after MacKay.

Sheppard: How like Jack's his explanation of the Stargate - it's a big... round... thing..."

The zpm-powered device reminded me of the shield devices in SG-1 season one's First Commandment, the device that made the sky orange and also allowed limited space for growth. The only real difference was that the cap was larger. An SG team should go back and have a look at what powers that thing(now that zpms are turning up all over the MW galaxy ).

Zed/Zee: I am Canadian, but depending on who I'm with, I'll use different pronunciations. I'll exchange zee for zed, or miles/pounds for the more civilized kliks/kilos, etc. And I find myself adopting other's accents, though my husband is much better at that (or, worse, actually - it's embarrassing! ).

I didn't think Ares was so bad(no shocker, there, eh? ). He was probably
    1)overreacting at his responsibility of having to "persuade" a reluctant "elder" to "do the right thing," and/or,
    2) next in line to be the boss.

No, seriously, I'd imagine that if I had to make sure that a person does something so unnatural as to take one's own life before witnesses, I'd start acting a little OTT as the event drew near, especially if a dangerous distraction suddenly walked into town; and the SGA-ers were dangerous in 2 ways:

1) They were old, and therefore (in the eyes of the kids) a magnet for the Wraith, and
    2) Sheppard and co were telling them that their centuries-old death ritual was wrong, which, as all the kids "knew" was just crazy talk.

CGI treehouse was beautiful , but I, too, knew it had to be CGI; there's no way they would have been allowed to build safe structures in those trees. First thing I thought of was the Treetop communities in the Dinotopia books.

As for the Wraith probe, I liked its look and insectlike speed and agility, but it looked too clean and crisp against the sky, and I think that's what gives it a "fake" feel - well, for me, anyway.
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Personally i thought this episode was great. SG1's first offworld team episode was 104, Atlantis was 106, and it has come later because previous episodes have been able to explore the environment of Atlantis, and deal with stargate technology problems, something that happened later in SG1 when stargate theory was more udnerstood by the audience.

SG!'s first team offworld ep was pretty poor really, when you look at what happened, but we can't say the same about this. I have to say i can't wait for more offworld eps like this in the future.

Firstly, all the characters had moments to shine:

Shepherd - being a leader and making the tough decisions, like supporting McKay in taking the ZPM, thinking that the likelyhood of the Wraith attacking in the short amount of time it was gone was unlikely. I don't think he ever thought they would keep it.

McKay - moments with the kids, figuring out technology, taking the ZPM and putting their objectives first, saying the one thing SG1 have never said ("We've only been here an hour why would they listen to us?!?"), and his moments with Weir which i always love.

Ford - moments with kids, making his place as a fun guy, he didn't shine in the premiere but the more i see him i am slowly warming to the character and his place on the team.

Teyla - Moral voice, she really is a great character.

Weir - i can't see how people don't like her. since McKay took the ZPM she made the right decisions, was firm and strong as a leader, had her great banter with McKay like she always does, and in this episode played the role of Hammond, which is someting i think we'll see more of, and with her in that leadership role in some eps, and in a slightly different role in the City based eps, she is really a brilliant character. i wonder whether people don't like her as in the earlier episodes were saw her show weakness and uncertainty as she came to terms with her leadership role, but in this episode we see she has really settled in to that role comfortably now.

I also liked the plot, the ZPM and whether we could use it, and the fact how Wraith technology seems to be everywhere so we really will have to be careful. I liked the culture of the people, and it's the classic episodes like this that i sometimes think SG1 has lost, where they just go out on a mission, and it's not all about the big arc. However, with SG1 and Atlantis running alongside, i'm a happy guy!
      spook

Comment

I liked this bit:

Teyla: They're sacrificing themselves for no reason.

McKay: What are we going to tell them Teyla? Listen, kiddies. Everything you believe is wrong and trust us because we've been here for... almost an hour.

But then they were trusted after they were at the village for... almost an day.

It looks like the whole episode took place in just a day. Because at the end Keras still had the paint on his face for the cleansing ceremony, it looks like McKay adjusted the field generator, word was sent out to the other villages about the generator, word was received back, and the team left the planet all that same afternoon.

And what about that field generator adjustment? After it took McKay forever to figure out how to put back the ZPM in the generator, he figured how to adjust it with apparently no trouble. I guess he just had to figure out how the non-standard equipment worked and everything else followed the same logic. A Mac OS instead of Windows.

Oh, and that bag of chocolate bars? Is that standard for the first aid kits in Puddle Jumpers? McKay ate a chocolate bar from the first aid kit in Thirty Eight Minutes.

My kind of guy:
        "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
        Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
        (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652

Although I am keen on denouncing inconsistencies in other aspects, I am ready to accept that kind of "trust" as a dramatic necessity. "our Heroe arrives in a new world and gets to talk to the king" and so on, and not "Our hero has to fill administrative papers for three days before he can see the local police officer, who doesn't believe he comes from another planet and begins arguing...".

I say ok, that's like the trick of making every people speak English. It's a decent plot resource.
          No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
          I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
          Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

McKay: What are we going to tell them Teyla? Listen, kiddies. Everything you believe is wrong and trust us because we've been here for... almost an hour.

Originally posted by Furling God
            Although I am keen on denouncing inconsistencies in other aspects, I am ready to accept that kind of "trust" as a dramatic necessity. "our Heroe arrives in a new world and gets to talk to the king" and so on, and not "Our hero has to fill administrative papers for three days before he can see the local police officer, who doesn't believe he comes from another planet and begins arguing...".

I say ok, that's like the trick of making every people speak English. It's a decent plot resource.
            Oh, I wasn't saying I didn't accept it, I know we have to compress things for dramatic purposes. I was just trying to say that I thought it was funny that someone in the episode actually pointed it out but they do it anyway. It did take longer than the hour!

It was almost like a wink from the writers. "We know, we know, but we know you'll understand."

My kind of guy:
            "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
            Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

I was just trying to say that I thought it was funny that someone in the episode actually pointed it out but they do it anyway. It did take longer than the hour!

It was almost like a wink from the writers. "We know, we know, but we know you'll understand."
              Oh, ok, I follow you on this point. I fully agree it was a good line from the writers'.
              No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
              I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
              Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

I did not really care much for this ep?
                My Stargate Forum:

http://www.gatefans.co.nr

Comment

Originally posted by Historywiz
                  I did not really care much for this ep?
                  Can you say why?

My kind of guy:

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                    I don't know. I just don't find Ford to be that funny. I mean, he's funny, but not funny funny....

Now McKay. That whole 'Why?' 'Because I said so.' argument was hillarious.
                    yeah I thought so too.It was hilarious
                    Lord Zedd

Comment

First Brit to comment on this ep it seems!(editor ready though!)

1. Overall decent ep. Reminds me of SG1 S1 but at the same time reminds me the the SGAers aren't quite the same as SG1.

2. I didn't have a clue the treehouse was CGI - nice one FX guy!

3. OK...so McKay is no good with kids. Somehow I'm not surprised! Still not sure whether I want to buy the guy a beer or knock him out after this ep.

4. Smooth character play generally.

Chalk up another solid but not spectacular for Atlantis!
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I've give the episode an ok, but it wasn't something amazing that really glued me into interest of the show. But it was still ok.

I love how those two kids kept annoying McKay when he was trying to work at the beginning, and then almost at the end when he's attempting to fix the ZPM. Poor guy. Probably the most humourous part of the episode.

Sheppard and Teyla were good in the ep, and we finally had some speech from Ford, for a change.
                        __

__

Comment

This episode was good, but I was confused at the end how they went back off the planet in he puddlejumper because when they went back into the puddlejumper, the EM shield was back on line yet all of their equipment worked. How????

Comment

Originally posted by WraithWarrior
                            This episode was good, but I was confused at the end how they went back off the planet in he puddlejumper because when they went back into the puddlejumper, the EM shield was back on line yet all of their equipment worked. How????
                            They could have parked the puddlejumper outside the EM shield. Then everything would have worked.

Comment

Didn't McKay and Ford go back to Atlantis in the puddlejumper with the ZPM when the shield was down. When they came back they said they parked it outside the shield. One thing though, I thought Sheppard was the only one who fly the puddlejumper at the moment.

Anyway, it was an OK episode, nothing special.

Liked the parts with McKay and the kids, quite funny. Interesting to see the different perspectives of McKay and Weir, where McKay would only think of the benefits to the Atlantis team and not the consequences for the people they stole the ZPM off yet Weir won't go around endangering other peoples for limited benefits. Will be interesting to see what see does when there is a real benefit to a situation like that.

Comment

Quite a good episode. I loved McKay in it It wasn't a great episode, but it wasn't awful either

Comment

Working...
                                X