Thirty Eight Minutes (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
    they could have gone to the front section of the puddle jumper. if the stargate closed they would be reintegrated in atlantis with half of the puddle jumper and the other half would have fallen away in space.
    Thank you! I had to go through pages and pages of people praising this ep before someone pointed this out. I didn't watch the show again until the second season because of it (which I now regret after buying the dvd and seeing the storm/the eye).

This rule was contradicted before and after this episode.
    To quote myself on another forum: "This was contradicted as far back as the first season. Ernest was sent through the gate while in a diving suit that was connected to an air supply in the SGC. Therefore the entire apparatus was a single object and by the logic shown in this episode he never should have been sent, and they shouldn't have found him. And it was contradicted in Continuum. If you watch closely, the plank Baal sends through to walk out on never fully exits the stargate, and gets cut off at the point where it's still in the gate when it closes. These are just the two I can think of without looking it up more. how they say the gate works in this episode is completely at odds with what we've seen the gate do. What we've actually seen the gate do is send whatever is in the buffer when it closes."

It bugs me that people think this ep is so great when there's such a big plot hole in it. The only way I can even try to make it make sense is that they haven't had this exact situation happen before and they were just guessing what would happen and playing it safe, ignoring the circumstantial evidence that they'd be fine to walki into the gate and let it send them at shutdown.
    "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
    "Those who abandon the path are evil."
    "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

Even though how the Stargate operates went way over my head in this one, I still enjoyed the episode. I didn't realize there were so many inconsistencies. Glad to see my brain wasn't the only one hurting.

Comment

i think your thinking about it to much to enjoy it if you stop tying to Annalise it you may like it because thinking to much about it only makes your head hurt and makes it hard to enjoy it
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateship15 View Post
          i think your thinking about it to much to enjoy it if you stop tying to Annalise it you may like it because thinking to much about it only makes your head hurt and makes it hard to enjoy it
          My problems with the episode run deeper than just the gate problems though. 1) They're too stupid to realize immediately that putting Shep in the EH is the best idea in any case. 2) Weir threatening to leave jerk scientist behind for questioning her. Notice she didn't threaten manly man shep like that in hot zone when he did the same thing. 3) That's made worse because his complaint was valid even if it was badly timed. 4) You use a premise this stupid to introduce the irratus bug? I haven't even over thought this because I've never fine combed through this ep because I dislike it.

I'm not over thinking, I'm just thinking. If thinking about a story on a basic level causes me to stop enjoying the story, the problem is with the story not with me.
          "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
          "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

well said and agreed
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateship15 View Post
              well said and agreed
              Why, thank you
              Last edited by The Mastage Kidd; 15 April 2009, 03:01 AM.
              "Hallowed are the Ori!"

Comment

thats ok
                sigpic

Comment

did anyone else think that they were just gonna fail in the end and get sucked into space?

Comment

hmm kind of i was worried for a while there but i kind of knew they would survive to fight another day sg1 has been in some close calls and haven't died so i guessed that it would be the same here
                    sigpic

Comment

I just re-watched this episode, and thought of a few things.

Did anyone else notice the co-pilot only dialled 5 coordinates instead of 6 (or 7 if the jumper doesn't remember the new point of origin).

Also, the thing that really annoyed me about this episode was that after 38 minutes, in reality, the front half would go through the stargate. The stargate wouldn't know between two halves of the puddle jumper and if it was in whole or not, it would only care if something is piercing the event horizon and that (if leaving the stargate) there's something in the buffer.

I also noticed every time McKay said something, Teyla looked like she was looking at the Wraith (extreme hate).

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                        I just re-watched this episode, and thought of a few things.

Did anyone else notice the co-pilot only dialled 5 coordinates instead of 6 (or 7 if the jumper doesn't remember the new point of origin).

Also, the thing that really annoyed me about this episode was that after 38 minutes, in reality, the front half would go through the stargate. The stargate wouldn't know between two halves of the puddle jumper and if it was in whole or not, it would only care if something is piercing the event horizon and that (if leaving the stargate) there's something in the buffer.

I also noticed every time McKay said something, Teyla looked like she was looking at the Wraith (extreme hate).
                        I bought the story's explanation. Behind tags for length:

Spoiler:
                        BECKETT: I'm just a medical doctor here, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. If they just stepped through the event horizon, wouldn't they come through the front part of the ship when the Gate shuts down?

KAVANAGH: The front half won't rematerialise on this side.

GRODIN: The Stargate transmits matter in discrete units. The front half of the ship cannot rematerialise until the whole ship has crossed into the event horizon. The Stargate is essentially waiting for the contiguous components -- meaning the Jumper and everyone inside -- to enter completely before it can transport them.

(Beckett stares at him blankly, then looks at Weir.)

WEIR: He said the Gate only sends things through in one piece.

BECKETT: Right. Sorry.

GRODIN: Unfortunately, the outgoing Stargate won't transmit the matter stream until the demolecularisation is complete. When it shuts down, the entire forward section, along with the men inside, will cease to exist.

Are you saying the science was off?

I love Grodin, btw.

Regarding Teyla, it seemed to me she needed a season and a half to develop a tolerance to McKay. In a way, it turned out okay. Around season three I feel like they grew to some sort of respect for each other.

Comment

It'd still have to offload the buffer somewhere, the only logical place would be the destination gate. Remember, it takes (what was it?) 1.3 seconds for trip? So it stands to reason it the destination gate stays active for 1.3 seconds more, allowing for anything in the buffer to be transmitted.

It was a great episode for me, but that just bugs me.

Comment

i understand why. i have a question if the ship didn't go thro in one peace would it stay in the buffer until the stargate was used again and it was wiped because even tho the puddle jumper couldn't be brought back because it wouldn't be in one peace it would have to go to the buffer.
                            sigpic

Comment

The closest thing in the SG universe was in 48 hours [5x14] where Teal'c was stuck in the gate. While he went through, the DHD was destroyed, terminating the wormhole. He remained in the (Earth) gate.

If I had programmed the stargate/DHD, before the 38 minute cycle, I'd offload the buffer into the destination gate, which (is why I said it) annoyed me.

But if it doesn't transmit the buffer, they'd be stuck in the source gate('s buffer).

Another example, which I just realised after rewatching (I think the episode's title is) Point of View [3x6], is a Jaffa jumps through the stargate, having the tail of his staff weapon cut off as the gate shuts down.

If 38 Minutes is correct, he wouldn't have made the trip, making that pointless. Continuity is a b****.
                              Last edited by Inquisitor; 17 July 2009, 08:48 AM.

Comment

thats what i thought. i find with this show that they forget there own rules in order to make more episodes it can get annoying and confusing.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X