• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McKay is wonderful.

"Thanks for calling!"

Comment

I totaly agree SS Mckay ROCKS!

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
      DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Looking forward to Suspicion tonight, Imo.

McKay to Bates: You want me to go through her stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
          Looking forward to Suspicion tonight, Imo.
          Yep only 2 1/2 hours to go

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
          DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Half an hour to go!

Comment

Originally posted by david2708
              Have to agree with the poster saying that McKay is rather grating.
              I'm finding him rather tiresome and I've only now seen 4 eps. I hope he aint like it for the rest of the season.
              Scifi shows now seem to always require the comic relief/ perpetually afraid/whiney character- that first appeared with the Dr Smith Character in Lost In Space.
              Smith, however, was GOLD , Makay, on the other hand, is pure lead.
              The bug on Sheppard reminded me of the big bug which attatched itself to Belanna in the Star Trek Voyager ep .
              Wow, I certainly wouldn't measure up to your standards. I think I may have a tendency to whine when confronted by certain death myself. Maybe even cower in a corner since I probably don't have any skills that would help out.

Where would be the dramatic growth if everyone started out perfect? That's what I like about McKay. He's led a protected life in his lab, but you know he's read every mission report that Samantha Carter filed. He knew the dangers any expedition would face in the unknown Pegasus Galaxy. Yet, he was never so excited in his life to go.

Sure, he's going to whine and complain. It's his nature. IDIC and all that. But so far, he's come through. He's just isn't used to being in life and death situations. You can read up on every mission report and imagine how you would react, but until you are actually in the situation, you'll never really know what you'd do.

After some practice, McKay will learn how to react to these new experiences and will learn to anticipate how to behave. He is a genius, you know. He'll be a fast learner.

I hope he never loses his unique view on life, his snarky remarks, his willingness to challenge what he believes is wrong, and his passion for finding answers and the truth. It's what endears the character to some of us watching Atlantis.

I don't want another perfect soldier, taking each crisis as if it were just another day, been there, done that 3 years ago. I want McKay and all his faults, the bits of humanity that make him real.

My kind of guy:
              "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
              Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
              (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

o, i loved this ep, it was intense, but cool.
                Save us from danger, save us from evil
                Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Originally posted by david2708
                  Have to agree with the poster saying that McKay is rather grating.
                  ...Makay, on the other hand, is pure lead.
                  The bug on Sheppard reminded me of the big bug which attatched itself to Belanna in the Star Trek Voyager ep .
                  Similar to what watcher652 wrote, I disagree with the *leaden* McKay characterization...

I vaguely remember Belanna having a bug incident (it's been a long time since I've seen Voyager). ...but considering how many years Hollywood and TV, and storywriting in general has existed or been in business, most sci-fi stories tend to overlap sooner or later... it's usually called inspiration, and sometimes 2 minds with the same sort of thoughts if the one never saw the other.

When I first began watching SG-1, I didn't care too much for machoistic McKay, until his *revealing* piano incident! That was so funny. But, you probably gotta be in Sam's shoes to truly appreciate it.

Actually, McKay is McKay and always will be... but he grows as the series expands. And he actually has his extremely likable moments... depending on what the viewer's definition of "likable" is. I no longer find McKay too grating. He's actually gotten funny at times, when he's being so *snarky*. Anyway... I've gotten wayyyyyyy sidetracked here.
                  --------
                  re: the episode, 38 Minutes itself...
                  At least some people here get to actually see "38 Minutes".

The Sci-Fi channel decided to drop it this round of repeats (in the USA). I don't understand their logic behind it, because I (and many other folks) thought the "38 Minutes" story is critical to the Atlantis storyline. There is such a huge build up in "Rising" about Sheppard unwittingly walking into a whole new reality (to him anyway...) and thus becoming extremely vital to SG:A's purpose; and then meeting up with a quandry of an encounter in "38 Minutes"!

And I didn't think it was a boring episode. Just extremely suspenseful. *Maddening* suspenseful to be more exact! (yikes!) It didn't need to be like James Bond or the now popularized, super-action packed Triple "xXx" movie to get its point across.

What did happen within "38 Minutes" could, however, be an effective backstory for a future SG:A episode someday. Or an alternate reality story... (just a thought)

Only got those gorgeous photos of
                  Spoiler:
                  a whumped
                  Shep in the "Sheppard Appreciation" and
                  Spoiler:
                  "Whumped Shep" and anywhere else he might be
                  threads to thrive on until the DVD's come out; or if Sci-Fi decides to change its mind and show the episode. It wasn't anywhere on the schedule, but I've seen schedules change even within a few hours before actual air times. Somehow, I don't think the Sci-Fi channel will change their existing schedule, until they hear more complaints once the appointed time comes and "38 Minutes" is not shown.
                  Last edited by SGalisa; 25 April 2005, 07:37 PM. Reason: 2nd edit- corrections: fix incomplete thoughts

Comment

The trouble with dropping any episode from the repeat list is that people who missed the show from the very beginning are missing vital information to the whole season story line. Not to give anything away for a future episode, but the bug is not a throw away alien life form.

This episode had a lot of good moments for Ford. Probably the most face time for him in any season 1 episode. You'd miss the introduction of Dr. Radek Zelenka (althought we are only told first name in a later episode). Dr. Kavanagh is also introduced. Both Sheppard and McKay have further character development. You miss some classic quotes like "I apologize for being the only person who truly comprehends how screwed we are!" Oh, and we get to see Sheppard with his shirt open.

I'm sorry for the US late comers who won't get to see this excellent episode in this cycle of repeats on SciFi.

My kind of guy:
                    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

i liked it althouh dull in parts good episode

Comment

I'm kind of surprised – actually, I'm very surprised – at the generally lukewarm attitude I'm seeing toward this episode. It was extremely well-written:

It was concise: a lot of story packed into a short amount of time. The flashbacks to what happened on the planet told all that needed to be told, with nothing extra. Not a second was wasted on inconsequential fluff. The episode was fast-paced and suspenseful.

The character development is just phenomenal. You can see how Weir cares about her people in the way she chews out Kavanagh for wasting precious time (she wasn't upset with him for pointing out the possibility of disaster! She made a snap decision, and Kavanagh threw a temper tantrum. He stopped working on the problem so he could go whine to Elizabeth). The episode also gives Sheppard a little more dimension: he's previously seen as the sarcastic, devil-may-care flyboy (kind of like Han Solo, or Jack O'Neill), but here we see that there is more to him: he is human, and prone to despair when facing certain death ("There's something I need to tell you while I still can"; "If you don't get this d@mn thing off me, I have even less time than you do"; "Don't talk to ME about screwed!")

Everything is completely plausible. There are no inconsistencies within the episode, with the rest of the series, or with SG-1.

More than that, everything is believable. This is science fiction at its best, folks!
                        Last edited by CeeKay Sheppard; 16 November 2005, 05:10 AM.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

I like the ep, but I'm soo not liking Bates.

Rodeny is better here then he was in 48 hrs (Sg-1)

Comment

I adore Bates. He's the perfect devil's advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverRider
                              I like the ep, but I'm soo not liking Bates.

Rodeny is better here then he was in 48 hrs (Sg-1)
                              i agree his character is so much better suited to stargate atlantis IMO

Comment

I Love this episode but i did not like pony tail guy( can never remember his stuipd name) Mckay had some wonderful lines along with sheppard
                                sigpic
                                Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Working...
                                X