Thirty Eight Minutes (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this ep was awesome >D

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
    Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
    Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by shinyredpants
      this ep was awesome >D
      I surely wouldn't say awesome. Like the last few a bit dissapointing. Did someone else laugh, when the ship hit the stargate at the beginning. It slowly scratched it, but "boom" and they all passed out...

Comment

I don't buy that the bug is a direct relative of the Wraith -- besides the usual humanoid evolution problems, how do its pincers/mandibles move from the head to the Wraith's hands? -- but it did give me another idea. Perhaps the Wraith weren't always life-suckers like they are now, but genetically modified themselves with DNA from that bug in order to gain immortality? That could explain why the whole race laid dormant even though they're great enough in number to colonize/control a significant area of the Pegasus galaxy. They were able to add the bug's regenerative abilities to themselves but couldn't separate that from the need to feed on lifeforce, so they had to go into mass hibernation in order to keep from starving to death.

This is, of course, entirely speculative, but it'd sure be a lot more interesting than the Wraith just naturally evolving into what they are now. Even the Goa'uld didn't build their empire in a vacuum!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          That reminds me. Cheers to whoever called TPTB looking for excuses to remove Shep's shirt! Spot-on on that one!

Only problem with Ford I had was his hesitation on using the paddles on Shep. Hello! Don't look for permission, just DO IT already! Sheesh.

I think Weir's leadership skills in general need a LOT of improving. She still rubs me the wrong way. I still don't like her.
          I think that Wier is a Doctor and not used to exercising her leadership skills yet. She appears to be a very strong woman and, a woman with a past of tech. experience behind her. In my opinion, she will become stronger as she is forced to face more challenges, after all she is new in this city. She is testing the waters as would anyone. She is the correct choice for command, all the way.

Comment

good episode. Like Ford's bravery liekd everything really, although reading the discriptino i expected to get stuch in the wormhole itself rather than the stargate. Also i feel teyla looks better in her native clother rather than an SGC jumpsuit and tactical vest they make her look pudgy
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

That was good.

Was it the same director who did CotG?
              *checks GW*
              It was....cool.

Weir & Sheppard had a couple of good "in command" moments

The cheek of that scientist with the plait who's name escapes me! I was half expecting Weir to slap him....

I have to admit it, I am falling into the Sheppard/Teyla ship trap. I'm trying really hard not to, but I can't help it.... Although, right at the end there was a hint of potential for Sheppard/Weir, which I would never have thought of only my sister said "Oh are they supposed to be the new Sam & Jack?" Hmm...

They're starting to call each other by their first names, that's nice.....I think it will be a while before I get used to saying John instead of Sheppard or Elizabeth instead of Weir etc. I think I'm getting used to 'Rodney' though....

Comment

Im glad most of you liked the ep. I thought it had some Ok parts to it. The insect was a tad bit lame though. I was hoping they would CGI it, make it look less a plastic model and more a real life sucking insect.

A couple of interesting plot developments. First time we have seen the team together. I thought though that the story lost momentum part way through and diddnt quite recover.

Sy~
                A lady came up to me on the street and pointed to my sued jacket...
                "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" She sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone...
                "I diddnt know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you to!"

Sy~

Comment

Loved this episode! Rodney was hilarious (as always), Ford got to do a lot more (I'm liking him more each episode) and Dr Weir got to kick some butt.

Go Weir! Go Weir!

I'm a huge Dr Weir fan now. Oh, and is it just me, or does Dr Beckett just get sexier every episode?

But I think there are a few people who, like Weir suggested, need to be tossed through the Stargate. Like that scientist guy with the long hair (ugh - so rude to Weir!) and the guy with the lame British accent. They so need to be voted off the island.
                  "Never give up! Never surrender!" - Galaxy Quest

Comment

Originally posted by CultTVGirl
                    I'm a huge Dr Weir fan now. Oh, and is it just me, or does Dr Beckett just get sexier every episode?
                    it is just you kidding he

Originally posted by CultTVGirl
                    But I think there are a few people who, like Weir suggested, need to be tossed through the Stargate. Like that scientist guy with the long hair (ugh - so rude to Weir!) and the guy with the lame British accent. They so need to be voted off the island.
                    Yeah that guys was such a jerk.Thinking about his own ass.I think Weir said it well against the bloody idiot
                    Lord Zedd

Comment

This might have been talked abut before but there is over 200 messages in this thread now...

While this ep was a good one and I really enjoyed it I think there was a huge plot hole...

It is my understanding - not that that's worth much - that so long as something is going through the gate then the wormhole will stay open... In Redemption Sam states

"This doesn't make any sense. In order to keep a wormhole open, you have to send something through...a radio signal, anything. We're getting...nothing."

So as long as the sent a radio transmission through the gate wouldn't have shut down in 38 minutes...
                      Sam....

Comment

Fabbo ep, some very nice bonding moments. McKay is absolutely brilliant, I have liked him since he first showed up in Stargate. He appears to be all self self self but in fact he has a very quick grasp of things (and he is used to being way ahead of the pack in the brain department, which he shows, but not too insufferably) and he is getting more used to being a team-member than he has been in the past.

<letch>And of course, all that Shepherd dying stuff.... mmmmmmm lovely.</letch>

But there was one thing which bugged me beyond all bugginess. What is it with Weir???
                        She's supposed to be this brilliant diplomat. Yeah, right - I'll go along with that up to a point. She has absolutely no skill at leading anything. Zip. Nada. Nothing.

Sure, EgoGuy was a bain in the butt - but there is always at least one person like that in a big group. He's a scientist, a senior scientist from what I could gather, he's probably not a really good team-player, and he's not military (therefore he hasn't had the team thing drummed into him repeatedly). Weir totally lost his respect, and bawled him out in front of other people.

Brilliant? nope
                        Leadership? nope
                        Diplomatic? nope

And for anyone thinking that that is how the military deal with stuff... to a certain extent as a last resort. But contrary to popular belief, the leaders have to have the respect of their subordinates - Weir has neither earned that, shown leadership skills or anything else that would lead me, if I were in the position of having to do so, to appoint her as leader of anything other than a Brownie pack. Gruesome #2 has more people skills than she does, and that's saying something.

Oh and while I'm on it... Dr.Brilliant-Weir didn't know about the 38 minutes???? I don't buy that for a second. Not one nanosecond. Hasn't the woman been briefed????? And what's with her uniform? The character doesn't do anything for me other than annoy. But I'll see how it goes, because the rest of the characters are fab, and the idea of Atlantis is fab, and it has me excited in a way that Stargate hasn't since the end of the 5th season.

Beckett was excellent. He was thinking on his feet, and only disappointed me when he didn't insist that they first try the chocolate on the bug.

Ford is still going to have to do a bit of work to grow on me, but Teyla showed some initiative which was good, and MacKay... what can I say? He is going to be one of my all-time favourite characters in anything.

Ego Guy was good, I loved the way he turned into a seething mass of resentment. and the Czech guy was way cool. Loved his reply to Weir!

Ah Weir... don't let me get started...

Right, now I'm off to watch it again. I'm intrigued about the size of the FAB (cool name) and the little spidery web it wove. That's why I'm watching. Nothing at all to do with Shepherd and a bare chest...
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samjack4ever
                          This might have been talked abut before but there is over 200 messages in this thread now...

While this ep was a good one and I really enjoyed it I think there was a huge plot hole...

It is my understanding - not that that's worth much - that so long as something is going through the gate then the wormhole will stay open... In Redemption Sam states

"This doesn't make any sense. In order to keep a wormhole open, you have to send something through...a radio signal, anything. We're getting...nothing."

So as long as the sent a radio transmission through the gate wouldn't have shut down in 38 minutes...
                          She was referring to normally. since there was matter in the wormhole it won't shut down, however the stargate is only able to keep a wormhole open for 38 minutes. after this time the gate will shut down no matter what.

redemption is an exception as Anubis was using an ancient device that was sending energy through the gate, which not only caused the wormhole to stay open, but turned the earth gate in to a massive explosive.
                          spook

Comment

MC,

I am a Weir fan and I'll grant you they didn't write her well in this episode. It's the second one in production and my feeling is generally that the writers took a while to get a real feel for writing the character. I think she didn't start to really make sense to the potential of what she could be till Home.

Suspicion is also problematic.

Comment

Oh man!
                              I really hate this type of thing... I'll give her a chance (because I'll trust a fellow Major) but....

I just want one, ONE, female character not to act like a man.
                              And I want just one military character who is written properly (like Col Sumner, I loved him to death)

OTOH: have I mentioned how absolutely fab and near perfect MacKay is? Especially in this ep?

I just think that since they made such a big deal about Weir being this fantastically brilliant diplomat, that it's not too much to ask that she actually behaves like one and not the "it's my ball and you can't play with it" reaction she gave last night.

And before anyone thinks I'm Weir bashing for the sake of it: I feel strongly about this because she could be a really really good character. If she keeps in character.

*goes for a drink of tea*
                              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samjack4ever

Thats only to keep it open up to the 38 minute barrier. You need more energy to keep it open ala watergate.

McKay did say theres only one way it'll keep open for more than 38 minutes was through relativistic effects ala "A Matter of time" where the black hole gravity meant the thirty eight minutes off world was in fact days on earth.

However McKay seems to have forgotten the watergate incident. To keep a gate open for more than 38 minutes you need something going through it ala a radio signiture (supplied by the russian nuclear probe) and energy to keep the wormholee running (supplied by the living water).
                                sigpic
                                Banner By JME2

Comment

Working...
                                X