No announcement yet.

Thirty Eight Minutes (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But that was b/c we hooked i up after the gate had been off for awhile. If the DHD was hooked up from the get-go then it wouldn't have overloaded. It would have recieved the buffer and re-integrated everything with no problem.

Comment

And we know that how?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

All I was asking was do we know the the way the gates work is the same for the Milky Way system and the Pegasus System? Do they (the gates themselves) store the data in the buffers the same way? Do they transmit the data in the same way?
        No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

I wondered about that. But going from little bug to giant humanoid is too big a leap in logic for me to accept.
          It's not really when you watch a lot of television. I once watched a show on Animal Planet that guessed at what earth would look like almost a long long long time after we are gone. They guessed that the next intelligent life would evolve from squid.

Comment

Originally posted by DJFavorite
            All I was asking was do we know the the way the gates work is the same for the Milky Way system and the Pegasus System? Do they (the gates themselves) store the data in the buffers the same way? Do they transmit the data in the same way?

I don't see why they wouldn't. If you take the example of cars, it doesn't matter what kind of fuel you use or esthetics you apply, the rules of inertia, gravity, friction and what happens to flesh when hit by a solid obect travelling at 100mph still apply.

Seriously, though, MacKay and his fellow egg-heads were basing all their assumptions on Milkyway galaxy Gates, and it all worked according to the "known" (to them, anyways; it all seems new to me) rules. They seem to believe, ATM, that the basic principles behind SG operation also apply to the Pegasus models.

I'd say that they are the same. Any "differences" will probably prove to be either thus-far undiscovered properties of the gate(like what happened to SG-1 in Red Sky) or actual so-called "improvements" (so-called, because it's no improvement when you're running for your life, and you expect it to do one thing and it turns around and does something else entirely. Of course, that can work the other way too and become a deus ex machina and save your a**.... )
            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I'm going to interrupt the ongoing wormhole physics discussion and actually retract a couple of my previous "X-Files Medicine" comments back on page 7. I looked at the screen caps posted on Jackfic.com and saw a few details I hadn't noticed - like the paddle-shaped burns on Shep's chest as he's being dragged into the event horizon, and the monitor leads the code team placed on him (correctly placed, even!), thus making Dr. Beckett's actions more forgiveable (taking the paddles off the chest). Nice. I'm also glad to see that the expedition bought some semi-decent stethoscopes, unlike the $10 models I've seen all too frequently on SG-1, and that they actually hook up their IV pumps (yeah, it had the "disconnected, patient side" error message scrolling, but it was running.) Someone's done their homework.

However, I noticed something else - looks like the defib/monitor is one of those spiffy new ones that the cardiology department at my hospital uses - nice and compact, lightweight and multipurpose - and I looked at a couple more screen caps to make sure - including external pacemaker capability. I have no idea why, in the absence of a rhythm, they would not use that function (other than the fact that it's not as entertaining as a code.) Without that, Shep still needed CPR and in the absence of IV access, an endo tube to a) secure the airway and b) a means of delivering epinephrine (a few code drugs can be given down the tube). All the hand-ventilation in the world would not have done much good without some means of actually circulating blood (chest compressions or pacing). My, Shep looked nice and pink. A few more "Scully demerits" there.

All things considered, I still liked the episode a LOT. I despise bugs, and FABio freaked me out.
              We suspend our disbelief, and we are entertained...

Comment

So I get the impression a lot of you feel events from this episode will return down the road? I had just the opposite. You know how they do episodes and introduce something that seems important, but never return to it again. I think it'd be cool if there were more to this and we find out later.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IWantToBelieve
                  So I get the impression a lot of you feel events from this episode will return down the road? I had just the opposite. You know how they do episodes and introduce something that seems important, but never return to it again. I think it'd be cool if there were more to this and we find out later.

Almost like Heliopilis.....

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                    Almost like Heliopilis.....
                    That plot thread was revisited. True, we haven't returned to that planet but we found out who the aliens were who had been there, and have had much contact with some of them.
                    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Okay, I really liked this episode. My favorite of the SGA episodes yet (then again there's been what, FOUR of them? ) My thoughts on the characters:

Shep: Shirt off. And was SO gonna tell Weir something along the lines of "I like you" (I'd say love but well, they haven't gotten that far yet) when he thought he was going to die. Kinda sucked that he didn't have more lines except to scream out in pain during the majority of the epi.

Ford: I like his whole bad-@$$ attitude. I know there's people that don't like him, but personally, I do. I'm just waiting for TPTB to develop his character a little more.

Weir: I like her. It's nice having her in charge. I really like the way she "talked" to Cavanaugh. Served him right. Although I have a feeling that will come back and bite her in the butt.

McKay: Such a funny funny character. He's got some great sarcasm, and I like him. Not much more to say about that.

Beckett: I wish he was in more scenes. He is great.

Anyways...
                      ...becuase of that i'm starting John/Elizabeth shippper!!! who's with me?!!
                      Newbie, I'm with you! John/Elizabeth shipper right here.
                      ~Courtney

"I think it's rounding her out as a person, and I think that any experience she gets in the love department, in terms of how to foster and keep a relationship, and how to open herself up and open her heart up, will only serve her for the future when she does eventually get together with O'Neill." -Amanda Tapping (in an article with Sci-Fi)

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                        That plot thread was revisited. True, we haven't returned to that planet but we found out who the aliens were who had been there, and have had much contact with some of them.

I think everyone agrees, we need to get the tablets and the book?

Also....we don't even know if Hathor is dead....

Comment

Hathor isn't dead, she's just cooling her heels until the time is right for her return.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                            Hathor isn't dead, she's just cooling her heels until the time is right for her return.

I truthfully don't think she is dead. She has come back once or twice and boned us.

Comment

Originally posted by NurseRatched
                              De-lurking here and responding to LoneStar's good catch...

I am in the medical profession, and I'm a tad dismayed to see that Dr. Beckett, Lord love him, apparently graduated from the same medical school as Dr. Dana Scully.

First up, it's actually quite hard to induce a heart-stopping shock with a defibrillator, contrary to widespread belief. (You've literally got to time the shock so it hits right on the "R" wave of the cardiac cycle...chances of doing that on the first zap are very slim.)

{snip}

Yup, an AED would have made more sense to bring along rather than a "real" defibrillator unit. They're pretty much idiot-proof, they're lighter, and they're cheaper...they just aren't as impressive.

LoneStar's right, when Beckett's attempting to resuscitate Shep all the defibrillation in the world would not have been effective as he was in asystole (absence of electrical activity). What he needed was CPR and the appropriate drugs...{snip}
                              Thanks for backing me up there. When I was watching that, I was like okay, I think he needs CPR there if you really want him to live.

I didn't think it was that easy to kill somebody by shocking them. Thanks for clarifying that.

Still enjoyed the episode btw. Next week's looks good. Can't wait.

{EDIT}
                              Originally posted by Tokraed
                              If I understand you right -- and I've got the right
                              scene -- the Jumper went slide forward a little because McKay was
                              distracted by events and accidently touched something wrong on the
                              panel.

We taped both SG1 and Atlantis because I had to work. If you look
                              closely, there's a cut to McKay watching events, a little flash on
                              his panel, and then a panicky look on McKay's face. We had to rewind
                              it twice to make sure we saw it right. That little flash probably
                              caused the engines to fire a little, which cause the breach in the
                              compartment doors.
                              Thanks for correcting me there. I finally got a chance to go back and watch it a second time. It happened so fast and then I guess I missed McKay’s dialogue explaining why they moved. I still think they should have been trying to rock the PJ to get it unstuck. Laws of physics be damned. Hey, it might have worked. I’m ignoring McKay’s laws of physics comment when Ford ran at the door. Lalalala. I can’t hear you. Equal and opposite reaction what? And ignoring the fact that the PJ had lost all its inertia.
                              Last edited by LoneStar1836; 03 September 2004, 08:27 PM. Reason: just adding something
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                                I truthfully don't think she is dead. She has come back once or twice and boned us.
                                She's been back once. Then Jack killed her. As far as the series is concerned, she's a goner. You don't have to believe she's dead, but you better believe TPTB won't bring her back (if only because it is a well documented fact that they hate the character).
                                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Working...
                                X