Rising, Part 2 (102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Liebestraume

But I am not overly thrilled with the new villains. For starters, they are just too aesthetically unpleasing to hold my attention (apologies for a personal moment of shallowness ). So far, their evilness seems to be very one-dimensional but I believe this will change as the season progesses.
    The Wraith were probably my biggest hangup in giving the premiere a higher rating (although I really did like it). They didn't creep me out very much and I agree that their evilness seems very one-dimensional at this point. But it's very early in the series and I too am hoping they'll flesh out this new enemy so that it's more than just the big bad they shoot up (or stab) every week.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Since I am dependant on downloading new episodes to see them, I didn't get to see the premiere of Atlantis until late last night. Or, to be more precise, 2:30 AM this morning. Then I watched it a second time when I (finally) woke up today. I've promised myself that this season of SG-1 I will comment on every episode (I hesitate to say 'review' because it will most likely just be a mess of incoherent ramblings and comments) without reading anyone else's reaction first, and I think I will do the same for Atlantis. Not having read the thread so far probably means anything I may have to say has already been thoroughly discussed. No matter, here's

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
      of 'Rising'

I began watching it (the first time) in the middle of the night, and wasn't done until about 4:00 AM. Add to that the fact that I'd had to get up really early yesterday morning (after a not really full night's sleep) and hadn't slept during the day, and it's safe to say I was tired. Very tired. I actually considered not watching Atlantis until today, which would probably have made everyone who knows me sit up and go 'Who are you and what have you done with Ugly Pig?!'.

Obviously, I did watch it. And for the 87 minutes it lasted, I didn't feel tired at all - 'Rising' was just too full of sheer excitement for me to concern myself with such human frailties as the need for sleep. The drone chasing the helicopter! The crowded SGC! The new wormhole travel sequence! The puddle jumper! The gate in space! The wraith! The spaceship chase! The city! The city rising!!

There was not a thing about 'Rising' I didn't like. The characters are already starting to grow on me - Lt. Ford was the only one I feel didn't get his moment in the spotlight to distinguish him from the anonymous grunts, but I'm sure he will get it in an upcoming episode. Col. Sumner didn't have much to do before the wraith interrogation scene, but with him not really being a main character this is not a problem. McKay was great as always, and delievered my favorite line of the episode ("Using power! Using power! Using power!"). Sheppard fills the 'Jack O'Neill' hero-type character slot nicely, but is different enough not to feel like a direct copy. Having now seen Dr. Weir in both 'New Order' and 'Rising', I completely forgot about the re-casting of the character while watching this time. I have read complaints about her acting, but I couldn't really find fault with it, myself. I loved the interplay between Dr. Beckett and the others, particularly his scenes with Sheppard and McKay. Didn't get much of a feeling from the Teyla character, though. Hopefully she'll develop over time.

Visually, the whole episode is a stunner. The Atlantis set is awesome, and the visual effects sequnces blew me away with Atlantis rising from the ocean being the highlight. The opening sequence with the city in Antarctica is also worth a mention, although it was shorter than I had thought. It's a shame we didn't get to see Aiyana (that was her, wasn't it...?) getting frozen in the stasis chamber. I understand that was originally planned to be seen in 'Lost City'... I am a sucker for little continuity touches like that.

I also gotta mention the music. First of all, it was actually not all synth, which I believe is the first time since 'Children of the Gods' (not counting the episodes re-using music from that episode or the original Stargate movie). Loved how Joel Goldsmiths SG-1 theme was briefly heard when the bottle of champagne from Jack came rolling through the gate. Interesting how David Arnolds original Stargate music was not used at all - in fact, there was no re-use of anything from the movie at all as far as I could tell. No stock footage, no old wormhole sequence, no Arnold music.

Anyway... I can't wait for this to come to DVD. It was just so great. It definately gets

Last edited by Ugly Pig; 08 September 2004, 01:09 PM.
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by N8iveTexan
        The only thing that irked me about the visuals was the cell door on the Wraith ship. The set designer must have been recycling old SG1 props because I swear that was the same grate that Baal had Jack pinned against in season 6's Abyss.
        http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s6/graphics/606_07.jpg

Close, but not really. The one in Rising was rounded and thinner.
        sigpic

Comment

What?! No Boogie Pig? Great review, Piggy. Sorry you lost sleep over it, but sacrifices must be made. You really have an ear for those scores. I only have the movie soundtrack.

I agree that the Ford and Teyla characters need some fleshing-out. They all do to some extent, but that's understandable and I'm looking forward to those developments. Carter was pretty one-dimensional (actually clichéd) in the SG1 pilot and look how she's developed over the years.
          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
          once done, cannot be undone...
          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDS9E
            Compared to SG-1s premiere episode, this one blew it out of the water. They have built a good foundation to move forward, and im liking what im seeing. There is only so much they can do in a premiere. If they told us everything about the Wraith at once there would be no stories to tell going forward

capt
            I agree. For people who don't like the show, they should wait and see. You can't do everything in the premiere, it would confuse everyone.
            "Basically, what I'm saying is that I am colossally flawed, so if you don't like my opinions, exercise your freedoms and disagree. Or, quite frankly, don't read any further, as that is also your right." (Micheal Shanks' TV Guide Blog, May 17, 2007)

Comment

One thing, though - is it me, or was the episode kind of similar to Children of the Gods? Not that it bothers me (Rising is still better - I never was much of a fan of COTG), it's actually understandable since it had to do a lot of the same things. Introduce the new characters, the new gate network, the new enemy and so on. Both shows even had the failed attempt at rescuing 'our people' from the new enemy, ending in a rescue of a whole big bunch of other folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                One thing, though - is it me, or was the episode kind of similar to Children of the Gods? Not that it bothers me (Rising is still better - I never was much of a fan of COTG), it's actually understandable since it had to do a lot of the same things.
                Actually, I like COTG. However, it is eight years old and Atlantis just looked cooler due to experience of the crew and advances in filmmaking.
                Introduce the new characters, the new gate network, the new enemy and so on. Both shows even had the failed attempt at rescuing 'our people' from the new enemy, ending in a rescue of a whole big bunch of other folks.
                1. Go Somewhere. 2. Mess Up. 3. Save Some People. 4. Put Yourself At Risk. I think that's Formula #42 in the "How to Start a New Science Fiction Television Series" information leaflet.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                  Actually, I like COTG. However, it is eight years old and Atlantis just looked cooler due to experience of the crew and advances in filmmaking.
                  Ah, you may be right. I don't actually dislike COTG, but it didn't give me the same level of excitement that 'Rising' did.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                    CotG wasn't nearly as good as Atlantis's openner. The rough story was the same, but the Atlantis one was written far better, IMO.

...plus I'm a sucker for excellent visual effects...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                      CotG wasn't nearly as good as Atlantis's openner. The rough story was the same, but the Atlantis one was written far better, IMO.
                      Actually, I'm not so sure I would agree with that. However, since my friend has my S1 DVDs, I can't form an edjookayted decision. Besides, Atlantis may be a new series designed to stand alone from SG-1, but there is a lot of backstory in the premier that wouldn't be there to write about were it not for seven seasons of SG-1, so I'm not so sure the comparison is fair.

Comment

CotG wasn't that good.

Comment

One thing, though - is it me, or was the episode kind of similar to Children of the Gods? Not that it bothers me (Rising is still better - I never was much of a fan of COTG), it's actually understandable since it had to do a lot of the same things. Introduce the new characters, the new gate network, the new enemy and so on. Both shows even had the failed attempt at rescuing 'our people' from the new enemy, ending in a rescue of a whole big bunch of other folks.
                          You read my mind

Comment

CotG is Great! But Rising of course is better because of all the backbone story and the experience of writers, and the BIGGER BUDGET, so if compare both without these 3 things...both are THE BEST! I loved it!!!

Comment

This whole show is just going to be 100% like SG-1 with different people and more "sci-fi" stories because it takes place on another planet, but who cares, it's still fun.
                              It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

of cource it fill ne LIKE SG1 but it want COPY it...however again....how far can your imagination go with this theme...so far it is enough for me...and looks different to me

Comment

Working...
                                X