Rising, Part 2 (102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yu Huang Shang Ti
    Maybe it has something to do with characters which appeared in the premiere episodes, since Siler and Weir weren't there for "Children of the Gods."

Tell you the truth, this is perplexing me too -- Captain Picard appeared in the premiere of DS9 and Quark was in Voyager's premiere, and I don't remember any copyright ruckus over those decisions.
    Were those series all made by the same guys?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yu Huang Shang Ti
      Tell you the truth, this is perplexing me too -- Captain Picard appeared in the premiere of DS9 and Quark was in Voyager's premiere, and I don't remember any copyright ruckus over those decisions.
      ST has a "tradition" of having one character appear in the pilot of the spin-off - Bones, Picard, Quark, etc. I don't know if it is legal issues, but they don't have the whole cast one show appear on the other (do they?). It may be different with ST because all those characters come from one creator (Roddenberry), whereas SG is spun from a movie with entirely different creators. Who knows? Sounds like a good question for ComicCon.
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Adamixoye
        I don't know if it's been mentioned, with the "Jack and Daniel can be in the premiere, but Teal'c and Sam can't" issue, but forget Siler, what about Weir?
        'Lost City', which introduced Weir, was written by BW and RCC who also created SGA. So, no issues there regarding who created the character.
        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by AgentX
          The behind the scene's stuff was a bit weird. The guide said it would be on from 7.30-8.00, but in total there were probably only 10 minutes if not less of that, shown sporadically in that time frame.
          It wasnt even really shown sporadically, David Hewlett said a little thing at like 7:40 and the rest of the behind the scenes stuff was almost right before the episode started. Regardless, I loved it.
          I'm so out of all the rest of the scripts now. McKay's going to go looking for a file and never come back now. "Yeah, I thought I saw it in the other room." Cut to Season Eight: "Yeah, he died! That McKay guy ..."

April (obsessed with David Hewlett)

Comment

I'm wondering if Sheppard and Weir are going to have any heated discussions like the one they about going to save their people.

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
              Just gotta get this in before I read the rest of the thread. Chevrons do not move. In the old Stargate it was the innder ring that moved the Symbols into place where each Chevron was. Then the Chevron clicks into place. The Chevron is the triangular shaped part of the Stargate that locks. Not the indivdual symbols. Lol, I saw a fansite called "The 37th Chevron" or something like that. I was just like there's only 9 on the actual gate
              Basically, the SG1 team has been using the Beta version of the gate. The Atlantis folk are lucky enough to have the upgraded version (like AOL 9.0 compared to 3.) More doodads, fancy irises, Miami Vice colors and the like.

Comment

They should have brought the plans for the Macgyver'd ZPM (The Fifth Race, Point of View) or at least the burnt out one and a couple staff weapons (for the liquid naquada) so they could at least jury rig a single use ZPM for emergencies.

Comment

Since Jack made that thing without consciously knowing what he was doing, I don't think any plans for it exist. And the device itself was probably left in the AU.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                    Since Jack made that thing without consciously knowing what he was doing, I don't think any plans for it exist. And the device itself was probably left in the AU.
                    He did draw have the plans. When he was making the ZPM in the Fifth Race, he kept looking at the plans he had drawn. The probably got thown away by the housekeeping people on the base.

Comment

You may be right... It's been a while since the last time I watched Fifth Race...

Comment

I liked the episode, I thought it was very good but there are just a few things I would change.

1. Weir. What is the problem with writing a decent well rounded female character? She was just so weak and wishy washy. The way she let Sheppard walk all over her. There is no way a male character would have allowed that sort of behaviour and she should not have allowed him to go on a rescue mission without first securing the city.

2. Sheppard or Marty Sue Sheppard as I've seen him called. He seems to be a Jack/Daniel Hybrid with their most annoying characteristics. The guy is in the military he really should not have such a complex about doing something because it's the right thing to do. Maybe he should have gone and joined amnesty international instead of the usaf.

Comment

I have to say i loved this episode. 9 out of 10! (not 10/10 as it can always get even better). I'll run through all the things i loved in this episode, followed by all the things I didn't.

Firstly, the things i loved:

1. The Cameos by O'Neill and Daniel. Done well, got the information about the gate address and getting them to the Pegasus galaxy really quickly so the real meat of the episode could begin. I also liked how Daniel really wanted to go but Jack wouldn't let him. One can but wonder what things would have been like if Daniel had gone with them and they'd have got Jonas back in SG-1!

2. Characters with the gene. Information given quickly and in an interesting way.

3. New Wormhole Sequence - very good effect, and the change made it more interesting to watch for the odler fans who have seen the other sequence over and over, and a stunning sequence for new viewers as well.

4. Atlantis Gate - Absolutely brilliant. the lights going round was a great effect, the shield/iris looked cool, and it is an extremely refreshing gate.

5. Atlantis Rising - a brilliant visual effects sequence (the guys did a great job with this episode)

6. Colonel Sumners - In a way I find it sad this character died in this ep. I would have found it interesting for him to have been in the first few eps and then to have been killed mid-season to make the death more meaningful, however you can understand that the writers did this to put Sheppard in charge of the military team. however, I do like how he died, with Sheppard being forced to make the big decision to end Sumners suffering. It will be interesting to see whether Sheppard is willing to do the same again in the future.

7. Dr Weir - I like the new actress Torri Higginson, and I like how she is not just authoritive like Hammond as she isn't military. A lot of people seem to say she's boring but i think she's one of the most interesting characters, as you can see that with every decision she herself is split on what to do. The big decision was one she was convinced by Sheppard to let him go on a rescue mission. Some people may think she gave in to pressure and is a bad leader, but you could see that she didn't make that decision until something more was at stake. Sheppard wanted to go save the people but Weir wouldn't allow the mission to go forward for that, it wasn't until Sheppard mentioned that they would find out about them that she realised that something bigger was at stake and that a rescue mission had to be taken. However, her care for her people under her command was shown when she told them to keep the shield of a bit longer, risking Atlantis to save them.

8. Major Sheppard - This character has a large area for growth in any number of directions and is a character I am most interested in.

9. Dr McKay - brilliant character who shined in this ep and will shine throughout Atlantis.

10. Dr Beckett - great to see a Scottish character in the series, and he seems like an interesting character and his relationship with McKay is very good.

Note: Beckett is wearing the Scottish flag. many people have been discussing the flags and why Beckett is wearing a Scottish flag and someone else is wearing a Union Jack great british flag, instead of the st george's cross or the GB country they are from. Well, being from the UK, i would say that since here in England we basically represent both, any member of the team from the UK would have the option of which flag they would prefer on their uniform. Beckett wanted to represent his home country of Scotland, while the other officer wanted to represent the UK as a whole.

11. Teyla and her people - I like this plotline and having them there will help with quick exposition and interesting stories in the future.

12. Being stranded - i hate the concept being criticised cause Star Trek: Voyager did not do it particularly well, but considering the quality of writing and differences, I find this a very interesting element of Atlantis.

13. The Wraith - This enemy are bad, evil, and out for food. Plus they are only gonna get worse. They seem like a definate threat. Some may think they were defeated easily in this ep, but that last line, "The others will wake up, all of them!" just put them over as a top notch enemy to me. I can't wait to find out more about them!

Now, the things i didn't love:

1. Lieutenant Ford - now he is not here because i don't like him, but that there wasn't enough of him to gain an opinion. While the other characters all had a moment to shine, and began to define themselves, i didn't get this with Ford. He had the jumping backwards through the Stargate and the naming of PJ, and he is obviously making a friendship with Sheppard, but all of those moments were with Sheppard! This is only a small thing though as I'm sure the writers will explore his character during the season, I just don't want him to become like Mayweather in the last season of Enterprise, a character who is in the main cast and says less words then I have written about Ford in this post! I am hopeful this will not be the case.

And that is the only thing I didn't really like about this episode. Everything else was fantastic and i can't wait to see the rest of Stargate: Atlantis!
                          spook

Comment

FINALLY got to see Rising (thankyou SOOOOO much, Nola!). Forgive me for not reading through all the posts here, first. I figure I've already missed too much to catch up. My first impression? It's a good start, but it's going to be a long road.

Liked Sheppard. He's still a bit too Jack Clone- right down to the bonding with children thing- but the broody thing is interesting and could really work... as long as they don't overplay it.

Liked Ford. We didn't get a LOT of him in the premiere, but I liked what I saw. Good potential. Kinda cute, too.

Liked Beckett. There's something tiresome about his character that I can't quite place. Not exactly chickensh*t, but... something just a little off that doesn't sit well with me. But you gotta love the accent, even if it does hearken back to Scotty. Scotty would never have allowed this guy anywhere near his precious engineering stuff. And for good reason.

LOVED McKay. Totally, completely loved McKay. I could even stomach the Pointless Exposition stuff just because- in case you missed it- I really love McKay. You could dump the rest of the cast and focus everything on McKay and I would be a very happy camper. OK, maybe you could give him his cat...

Didn't like Teyla. I found her tiresome and irritating and not all that engaging a character. Nothing against the actress, mind you. I'm sure she's a fine actress, but it's hard to build up a good character when you don't have much to work with and Rachel Luttrell wasn't given anything to work with. It's a compliment to her acting abilities that she could manage anything at all...

Didn't care much for Weir, either. I mean, there's having empathy for your subordinates and then there's just being an idiot about it. Weir, unfortunately, borders a little too close to the latter for my tastes. Sheppard can manage to be broody without it coming across as weak, but Weir... Bleah.

I hate the Wraith. And not in a good way. Ye gods, could you get any stupider? Lame, pathetic, unappealing, cheesy and badly dressed. Urg. Now, if they'd kept it to those wispy hallucination things, THAT would have kicked ass, but the real deal? No way.

Interesting stuff about Atlantis itself and the puddle jumpers- while not exactly pretty- could be an interesting development. I hope more will be found out about Sheppard and his innate ability to use the tech, as opposed to everyone else who has to "concentrate". It'd be interesting to see how Jonas would react to the tech. Too bad TPTB are all going, "Jonas who?" *sigh*

I loathe the implied Sheppard/Teyla ship. I hope the producers live up to their promise of killing that entirely and letting the characters be themselves. It comes off as even more cheesy and cliche than I would have thought possible, and that's really saying something.

It's enough to keep me watching, though. And not just because of McKay. Though he is a goodly portion of the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              It's enough to keep me watching, though. And not just because of McKay. Though he is a goodly portion of the reason.
                              Yeah, I'm sure you appreciated his final line in the episode... Kinda indicated that Luke was there in spirit, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                                Yeah, I'm sure you appreciated his final line in the episode... Kinda indicated that Luke was there in spirit, no?
                                Who could not LOVE that line?? It's a great ego moment, thinking Luke could have inspired it and I'm trying not to let the reality of the situation ruin the warm fuzzy feeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X