No announcement yet.

Rising, Part 1 (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That may be but that is where the episode was broken up for syndication and reruns
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

October 2004: Well...having become a SG1 fan...into fandom, doing conventions the works...word was that they were going to start a spinoff set in another galaxy...the idea initially sounded cool...other than the idea of Rodney McKay as one of the main characters. Still...it was worth checking...even though SG1 was still running. At the time I was at Uni though based at home in Teddington.

1. Looking back, Sheppard's reluctance was a bit nuts...

2. Didn't really connect Sheppard with Kirk first time round...

3. I'm with Crazedwraith on the hat thing.

4. Possibly the first time I saw the opening scene...for some reason I missed it first time round.

Solid enough opener.
      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Such a good start to a series. I always forget it starts off with the Ancients.

Jack's appearance here is a lot better than his Continuum appearance.

Beckett has me laughing already. His sooky ways are funny instead of annoying.

Shep turning around and looking at the Atlantis gate was a good idea. Giving us our first glance. It's a great looking gate.

Wraith darts are still awesome.

The city rising out of the water still looks amazing.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
          I have to get use to going to a different section now.
          Me too, never been in the Atlantis sections before. (Well, not properly anyway, I may have had a quick peek at a few things. And a browse through the Ronon thunk thread in Chars/'ships...)

My LiveJournal post

Wow, pretty cool. This is my first time watching Atlantis. I've seen up to 'Thirty-eight Minutes' and enjoying it so far.
          "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
          "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
          "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
          "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
          >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
            The city rising out of the water still looks amazing.
            Compared to the rising it had later when they were leaving the planet, the first time we saw it rise was breath taking.

Comment

I like the joy of exploration followed by certain doom that comes with part I of the pilot. The first half on Earth does not only do a good job of introducing the characters but at the same time sets the tone of the show. Their is a sense of joy from Dr. Weir's main group as they are on Earth to see what Atlantis and the Pegasus Galaxy holds. Even Col Summer seems anxious to see what Atlantis holds. I aslo like how this first half gives foundation of who some of these characters are. The loner type characterization of Shepeard comes to mind. And then thier is the wonder of Atlantis. I kind of miss this in later seasons. Here we don't have a clue really to run the Ancient technology. That mystery and awe is something that was missed in later seasons. One thing that always nitpicks me is the going to Athos and writers show us an abandoned city and these ancient ruins showcasing the what the Wraith do and then the Wraith attack. What was the point of all that if they are just going to shift tones to defending against the Wraith?
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                I like the joy of exploration followed by certain doom that comes with part I of the pilot. The first half on Earth does not only do a good job of introducing the characters but at the same time sets the tone of the show. Their is a sense of joy from Dr. Weir's main group as they are on Earth to see what Atlantis and the Pegasus Galaxy holds. Even Col Summer seems anxious to see what Atlantis holds. I aslo like how this first half gives foundation of who some of these characters are. The loner type characterization of Shepeard comes to mind. And then thier is the wonder of Atlantis. I kind of miss this in later seasons. Here we don't have a clue really to run the Ancient technology. That mystery and awe is something that was missed in later seasons. One thing that always nitpicks me is the going to Athos and writers show us an abandoned city and these ancient ruins showcasing the what the Wraith do and then the Wraith attack. What was the point of all that if they are just going to shift tones to defending against the Wraith?
                I agree, I just wished we saw more of the Athosian's history. There were lots of comparisons to the Jaffa in terms of us having a representative on the Atlantis team. Yet, aside from history notes. The Athosians do not get any progression as a society or actually seeing what levels of technology they had.

Comment

Joe Mallozzi's notes for this episode (he's doing a "trip down memory lane")
                  http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...sing-i-and-ii/

In the two part series premiere, Brad Wright and Robert Cooper deliver an opener that captures the spirit of the original series, SG-1, while simultaneously breaking new ground. In those two hours, a new world and new characters are established, setting the foundation of a show that would run five glorious years before it’s far-too-soon conclusion.

RISING I (101)

Do you remember the first time you met your significant other? What they were wearing? The conversation you had? The thoughts running through your head at the time? Hardly? That’s okay. People rarely do. However, I’m willing to bet that fans of Stargate: Atlantis remember that first hour: the introduction of the Atlantis expedition, the wondrous step through the gate to the city of the Ancients, that first meeting with the Athosians and the subsequent encounter with the wraith. Yeah, I figured.

Actors Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks guest star, helping to pass the torch – although it’d be two terrific years before they’d actually let go of it. If there was any candidate better suited than Daniel Jackson to join Dr. Weir’s hand-picked team through the gate, I can’t think of one but, of course, we Jack needed him on SG-1. Or, depending what fandom camp you’re in, he simply couldn’t bear the thought of Daniel being journeying so far away.

The part of Lieutenant Ford was played by former VJ Rainbow Sun Francks. He won the role on the strength of a great audition, preceded by an equally great audition with a funny hat. Here’s some advice for all you aspiring actors. When it comes time to audition, know your lines, keep your hand movements to a minimum, and don’t wear a silly hat because, no matter how good you are, when other people screen your audition, all they’ll notice will be that damn hat. Fortunately for Rainbow, we were the first ones to see the audition, recognized the talent – and also the probability that, somewhere down the lines, somebody would dismiss him on account of his headgear – and had him re-read WITHOUT the hat. He did – and got the part.

One of my favorite moments in Rising I comes when the Atlantis expedition steps through the gate into the City of the Ancients which has stood abandoned for millions of years – yet has an albeit dead potted plant sitting at the foot of the steps leading to the gate room.

The Atlantis gate was, theoretically anyway, an improvement on the Earth gate. Like I said, theoretically. While the force shield certainly trumped the Cheyenne Mountain iris, the look of the new gate always struck me as a little glitzy Vegas in comparison to the cooler, staid gate at Stargate Command. I mean, just compare them…

The SG-1 gate

And the Atlantis gate.

See what I mean? It’s a little…oh, that’s not right. Hang on a sec.

Ah. Better.

The Atlantis gate also had the disadvantage of not actually being a working gate. Before you conspiracy theorists race off to your respective forums to reprint my words as confirmation that the Stargate program does, in fact, exist (and, for the record, I neither confirm or deny its existence), by “operational”, I mean the ability to actually spin. The gate at the SGC actually spun. The Atlantis gate’s spin was all CG.

When the team first meets the Athosians, Teyla is introduced as “daughter of Turghan”. But, later in the series, she names her first born Torren after her father. So, what’s the deal? Well, the fact that Teyla is leader of her people could suggest that the Athosians are a matriarchal society and that Turghan is, in fact, her mother’s name. A lovely name for a young woman.

Also, gate travel implants travelers with translator nanites. That’s why most everyone seems to speak English.

Eagle-eyed viewers will note that Elizabeth Weir’s boyfriend, Simon (Gavin Sanford), bears a striking resemblance to the late, to the late Tollan Narim, last seen getting blown up in SG-1?s fifth season episode Between Two Fires. Teyla’s fellow Athosian, Halling (Christopher Heyerdahl), looks a lot like Pallan, that guy who lost his wife and got his mind wiped in SG-1?s seventh season episode Revisions, but looks nothing like the wraith, Todd, who would go on to play such a key role later in the series.
                  (he included a couple of photos, which don't show up here)
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mrja84 View Post
                    I agree, I just wished we saw more of the Athosian's history. There were lots of comparisons to the Jaffa in terms of us having a representative on the Atlantis team. Yet, aside from history notes. The Athosians do not get any progression as a society or actually seeing what levels of technology they had.
                    And imo it was useless of them showing that 'glimps of an ancient city' and then do nothing with it.

Comment

Best I can tell it was a MacGuffin used to keep our guys interested long enough for the Wraith to show up.
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                        Best I can tell it was a MacGuffin used to keep our guys interested long enough for the Wraith to show up.
                        Or they had ideas, but later chose to pursue others. It happens, something is introduced (like a special drive in the finale) with the intent to use it later, but that doesn't happen for budget, time, or other constraints.

They introduce a lot in the first two hours, yet they do not do much with some of it. Like Ford, the Athosians, Halling and is son, Teyla as a leader of her people, etc. It sucks, but it happens a lot in television.

Teyla is introduced as “daughter of Turghan”. But, later in the series, she names her first born Torren after her father. So, what’s the deal?
                        I always took it as her child was named after Teyla's child's father, not Teyla's father. Hmmm.

EDIT: You can add Teyla was hinted at "hooking up" with someone at Atlantis, but that fell through didn't it? Because Rachel Luttrell had gotten pregnant and they didn't want her to someone have gotten his baby and they be "forced" into a relationship.

Frankly, I've never bought any of the relationships even the friendships. They never felt earned.

Comment

Teyla is introduced as “daughter of Turghan”. But, later in the series, she names her first born Torren after her father. So, what’s the deal?
                          Teyla's is introduced as the "daughter of 'Tagan', not 'Turghan'. Turghan was the warlord in SG1's Emancipation. And she didn't say Tagan was her father. It could as easily have been her mother.

I always took it as her child was named after Teyla's child's father, not Teyla's father. Hmmm.
                          The father of Teyla's child is Kanaan, so her child was not named after him.

Comment

Rising (Part 1)

In the olden days of 2004, there was a continuation of Stargate brewing up; one that would of taken place on Earth and involved the lost city of Atlantis... They had it all set up with the two-parter "Lost City" being the pilot for the series and the finale of SG-1 where certain things (and fandom threads) would be resolved and new things would be introduced; but somewhere down the line they had different plans, so they made "Lost City" into your average SG-1 season finale and decided to do Atlantis in a different galaxy so that they could do both shows while not having them easily interfere with each other. There must of been some considerable hype and I remember there was some advertising being put out on the show (you must remember those cardboard cutouts seen in theaters right?) so there must of been pressure for it to succeed, but does it succeed?

Well; it did. Creating numbers unmatched by any SGA episode in the history of time; why it didn't do that is unknown but will become known as reviews continue.

This first part of the pilot episode is essentially a setup for the entire series; this means that the characters that you've come to know and love, our first glimpses of the location, how they got there, the awe and excitement is given focus here. Our first sights of Atlantis are as grand as they are beautiful with amazing detail and good presentation; the people who thought of Atlantis must of been very creative people as the Asian influences combined with Celtic design and greenish colors combine to make something that's both grandiose and sensible; though some elements may fall into the usual sci-fi trappings, what is shown is something you can actually imagine being possible in real life if there were such things as an advanced ancient civilization. The shots shown manage to capture the best parts of Atlantis and the moments used manage to make us feel a lot like the characters, amazed and in awe; they did a really nice job presenting Atlantis though I have to take fault with one scene in Atlantis, the one where they connect to it. I mean that's the shot you use? It's disappointing. It doesn't feel exciting or a reflection of all their hopes and dreams paying off, it just seems like business as usual though I can excuse it; still, disappointing.

Shephard, in awe of everything...

The mystery/mythology that the series introduces is amazing; I mean what is Atlantis, what lies in this universe, who is this unknown threat we know nothing about? While many of us would like to imagine what'd happen if the series remained on Earth rather then in another universe, it wouldn't compare to the universe of which this show is based around and the potential behind it. The episode slowly reveals to us what this world possibly holds for our heroes in future episodes, being careful not to reveal anything major or drive the viewer away and though what we learn of the universe is small, it does reveal some of the history regarding the Ancients and recreates the initial feeling of what made SG1 special (and what it used to have), exploring unknown worlds. The first world the Atlantis team visits is representative of that with it's unknown customs and culture, though they may have some modern SG1-isms in there, this is truly them being confused, trying to understand something in a militaristic way similar to the first few episodes of the show and the culture that is shown; classic Stargate. From the clothing to the city to the details to even the little twists in there, everything shown is reminiscent of the good old days and as a plus, it introduces what would be SGA's enemy it in a way that's deadly, unknown and truly mysterious (though inscriptions shown do reveal some info.); you could say they're similar to the Gou'ald but there are differences between them and the unknown enemy that sets them apart and also play a part in the whole new universe thing. Regardless they look to be something that'll play a respectable role in the show.

The cinematography in this thing is really, really good; as if Ronald Emmerich himself walked onto the set himself and started calling the shots. The angles manage to capture the subject while also purveying the importance of that moment, the presentation manages to be clear and concise without hindering anything, the quick moving camera angles capture the action (very few action scenes exist in the pilot (including that helicopter scene) but when they're done well, they're done well. Still, with the pace this episode was going for, I can understand why there'd be a few of them.) well while also making it exciting and heart-pounding, seriously it feels like a cinematic movie at times (which may have been the intent.) The guy who shot this should get a pat in the back as he certainly knows what how to make every shot essential, it just proves that anybody can do cinematic quality stuff without the major budgets if they have the effort, willpower and determination and creativity; people think they have to have major budgets to do this but they often fail to realize that they can do this with what they have though it'd be nearly impossible to get the kinds of shots where they fly over a mountain. Without this kind of cinematography, I doubt the pilot would as be effective as it is.

An example of true cinematogrophy.

As expected this episode gives us our first introductions to the characters who'd inhabit Atlantis, though it feels like they popped out of thin air (especially the ones in the arctic base) These include the ever so known Dr. Rodney McKay (played by David Hewett, who has a considerable cult following.), the Canadian pilot who just happens to be meant for something more Shephard, the also ever so known Dr. Elizabeth Weir (played by a different actor from the original.) the unknown but potential filled Aiden Ford and the generic Col. Marshall who I expect will be killed in a couple of episodes. All of these characters play their part well, delivering decent Stargate dialog that shows they can be both serious and fun and they show that they have a group mechanic going on, which is good since the success of the series relies on how much chemistry the people have and though it isn't there most of the time, it's there some of the time and besides, it has time to grow. There were some things I disliked about a few characters. Dr. Rodney is good when he's being helpful but when he's being arrogant and forceful, he's pretentious and unlikable; Mr. David Hewett needs to learn not to slip because I actually like the helpful Rodney, he's a decent character. Dr. Weir doesn't sound like she's giving it her all at certain points, seeming to deliver her stuff in a monotone way even if it is a happy moment and Shepard needs to learn that blending in is the best standing out he can do. (many shots unnecessarily show him as a model rather then an character.)

One thing that has to be noted is the diversity of people... (possibly in a nod to "Star Trek: Voyager") This may be nothing new but the fact that there are diverse people compared to the people we were introduced to in SG1 gives potential to the series at hand; different cultures, different methodologies, if they played their cards right, they could use the diverse cast to ultimately give the series a deeper meaning. The parts that take place on Earth are done well enough; (Starting at the arctic base rather then at Atlantis was a good idea as it allowed for a natural progression that is simply essential to the episode as it built up the excitement towards the reveal of Atlantis and established certain things techwise.) the action in the artic base is somewhat entertaining (it's dull at parts), it adds decently to the introduction and the plot, it enforces the believability of the situation, it works for and builds up the characters, there's a nice feeling of satisfaction to everything shown and it's nice to see Jack O'Neill even if it is a cameo appearance; he just has that something that makes him appealing, the way he says his words, the way he does his vocal inflictions, his brashness, his character, it just makes seeing him all the more exciting. The appearances with Daniel Jackson (who is his old self, it's nice to see him researching locations, looking at charts, etc.) are also a delight and the way he hooks up with Jack, well there's nothing more to say after that...

Jack and Daniel BFF!!! Oh and Rodney and Wier.

So the first part of the Atlantis pilot seems to be more of a setup to the mystery and the mystery it introduces it's good; the mythology of the world seems interesting enough and the initial SG-1 feeling is revived. It hasn't forgotten about the characters or any of the other stuff and it introduces them well, with all playing their parts in an admirable way. I will say that there are a few faults, especially for Dr. Rodney which he will have to overcome if he wants to be a viable player in Stargate but overall, it's really, really good. There is little action and drama but who needs that when this is our first taste of Atlantis. Everything in this episode builds up to the reveal and everything after the reveal just adds more and more and more. The first part of the pilot is good but I'm hoping Part 2 will be even better.

8.5/10
                            Back from the grave.

Comment

The way I remember the hype from '03/04 was that they were going to finish SG1 then use the Lost City plot as a cinema movie to bridge from SG1 to Atlantis.
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Have just watched the the first two parter of SGA, we watched it directly after New order 1 and 2 of SG1 and glad we did, although i think we are going to stick to watching a season of each at a time now rather than alternating the episodes.

Not really sure what my thoughts are, i enjoyed it but not as much as SG1, but i think it could just be the newness of it and not really knowing the characters, I'm pretty sure i felt the same when i first started watching SG1 too.

I loved the new sassy stargatges with the spinny blue lights, loved the gateships. I like the character of Mj Shepperd and of course we already know dr McKay but will be nice to see his character develop.

Unfortunatly my bluray boxset has not arrived with our shipping from the Uk yet so we only had a tv recording to watch, i think once we get it on bluray the graphics etc will make it pretty impressive.

It was nice to have Jack and Daniel in there, but I'm not convinced about Sam not being there, I would have thought that being the one who made the gate work in the first place she wouldn't have missed the whole 8 chevrons thing that was going on but hey, it's only a small thing.

On the whole I am sure that once i get into atlantis it will be great, not sure at the moment I can see it becoming my fave over SG1 though
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Working...
                                X