Radek Zelenka/David Nykl Appreciation, Thunk, Translation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DragonLadyK View Post
    Disdain or exasperation, it still didn't make sense.
    I agree. I think we are both saying the same thing.

Originally posted by DragonLadyK
    Sam has never been the completely-cut-the-person-standing-three-feet-away-out-of-the-process type. I mean, how many times did Sam try to explain what she was doing to Jack (over and over and over again with smaller words) or Daniel, who weren't even scientists? For her to just take over the tablet and give him the GTFO-silence? That's pretty strong for Sam. I also tend to take Quarantine in the context of Trio, since I saw them back-to-back.
    That's true, however in this case I am guessing tptb were trying to subtly established her authority, at least visually which having her just take the tablet and start working on it can be symbolic of her authority.
    Quarantine had some great Zelenka moments. I loved the pigeons, his crawl in the walkway and his smile in the end! Was fun to see Zelenka be the hero for once!

Granted, it didn't help that Zelenka was treating Sam like Rodney or Sheppard (which she's NOT). Rodney-baiting is a huge portion of his working relationship with Sheppard, and either heckling Rodney or tag-teaming a third person with Rodney is 80% of his working relationship with McKay. It was like watching a Labrador play-crouch at a cat. ^^
    Yeah but Sam should be use to that by now and should expect that.

It's also possible that Zelenka just plain freaks Sam out a little. Sam is used to knowing what people are all about even when other people don't.
    I just didn't see Zelenka has freakin Sam out. I don't see Sam getting freaked out easily with other people, given everything she's been through with the SG1

Zelenka can spend eight episodes as the happy, sweet scientist with the fluffy hair and then suddenly have this moment of utter bloody cunning (as the plot requires, even if that's just assuring the CO that the cold-blooded decision was the right one) and then snap instantly back to the happy-fluffy-scientist like nothing ever happened and so convincingly that everyone acts like nothing ever happened.
    Yeah, I love that about Radek!

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note: does your youth-group use the birds for falconry, or just care for them?
    They actually got involved with a center here to work on service project work. Basically they learned to care, and feed the eagles and learn about them as well as perform presentations at the center for the public during the summer. The person who works with them use to be a falconier (spelling?) so she is great about instilling confidence in the girls in handling the birds as Eagles are easily agitated. Falconry has a pretty good following here, though it is even bigger out west.

She promised me that next summer I could actually handle one of the eagles, her focus has been on the girls the past few years and I have always wanted to hold one so I am excited.

A few more piccies from Hot Zone!
    Spoiler:

Got to go Vegas is on!
    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Zelenka can spend eight episodes as the happy, sweet scientist with the fluffy hair and then suddenly have this moment of utter bloody cunning (as the plot requires, even if that's just assuring the CO that the cold-blooded decision was the right one) and then snap instantly back to the happy-fluffy-scientist like nothing ever happened and so convincingly that everyone acts like nothing ever happened.
      I'll just say I love this. But then don't we all?

Great pics belevison. Poor Ford, getting completely tag-teamed by the Wonder Geeks.
      That was funny! Here are a few more that are more fun than thunky, including that priceless face Zelenka gets after Ford zings him one in the first scene.
      Spoiler:

*Hmph!*

Poor Radek needs a hug right here. *hugs him*

Ah, the wonderdorks, we love them so...

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
        She promised me that next summer I could actually handle one of the eagles, her focus has been on the girls the past few years and I have always wanted to hold one so I am excited.
        That is so cool! I hope you get to do it!

Nice pics! Hot Zone is a good Radek episode. And enjoy Vegas, or as I'm thinking of it-
        Spoiler:
        the Radek-in-a-suit episode (based on those lovely promo pics- I have stayed unspoiled except for those).
        I'll be watching it tomorrow night probably, but I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by belevision View Post
          That is so cool! I hope you get to do it!
          Well, I've asked and she told me yes and the girls want to do it again this next summer. It's one of those things that I have always wanted to do. I haven't had the chance before because the girls had to come first!

Originally posted by belevision
          Nice pics! Hot Zone is a good Radek episode. And enjoy Vegas, or as I'm thinking of it-
          Spoiler:
          the Radek-in-a-suit episode (based on those lovely promo pics- I have stayed unspoiled except for those).
          I'll be watching it tomorrow night probably, but I'm looking forward to it!
          Loved Vegas.
          Not a real spoiler belevision so you can peek if you dare!
          Spoiler:
          So totally different then anything else the writers have done. Joe Flanigan is one hell of a good actor. Love his dark side. Radek has short hair and every piece is in place! He's so cute!

Damn, and they had to cancel SGA before it's time.
          sigpic

Comment

I agree. I think we are both saying the same thing.
            There isn't a way to make this scene make any sort of sense, is there? It's just going to sit there, the proverbial Miss Marple story sitting in the Biography section where it doesn't belong, mocking you with the fact it doesn't match anything else on the shelf.

That's true, however in this case I am guessing tptb were trying to subtly established her authority, at least visually which having her just take the tablet and start working on it can be symbolic of her authority.
            Might have worked if Zelenka wasn't using all that self-protective body language: drawing away, hunching over and crossing his arms, looking down. Such as it didn't read as esablishing authority so much as... not quite bullying, but a little on the nasty side.

Quarantine had some great Zelenka moments. I loved the pigeons, his crawl in the walkway and his smile in the end! Was fun to see Zelenka be the hero for once!
            'Twas. I still love the episode, but the inconsistency bugs me. It niggles, you know.

I just didn't see Zelenka has freakin Sam out. I don't see Sam getting freaked out easily with other people, given everything she's been through with the SG1.
            No kidding. Between Junior, Selmak, Orlin, Daniel the Yo-Yo, Jolinar, za'tarcs, and RepliCarter she should be completely bomb-proof by now.

Still, an irrational feeling of creepiness that seeps through despite her attempts to be professional is a more Samlike explanation than dismissive exasperation or contempt or being hoodwinked by McKay.

Yeah, I love that about Radek!
            It makes for the good crackfic.

They actually got involved with a center here to work on service project work. Basically they learned to care, and feed the eagles and learn about them as well as perform presentations at the center for the public during the summer. The person who works with them use to be a falconier (spelling?) so she is great about instilling confidence in the girls in handling the birds as Eagles are easily agitated. Falconry has a pretty good following here, though it is even bigger out west.
            Falconer. noun. Mortal enemy of pigeon-racers.

If falconers and pigeon-keepers in the CR get on anything like falconers and pigeon-keepers here, Radek at some point in his life has probably:
            A) lost one or more members of his flock to a falconer's bird
            B) shot or posioned a raptor knowing it wasn't wild.

Hey! Maybe that's it: Sam's a falconer and Radek is "one of those damn pigeon-racers." *cackles*

Spoiler:
            : I lost three good birds to the likes of you. One of them was a golden eagle -- do you have any idea how hard it is to get a golden eagle permit?
            : Maybe you should have kept your birds out of other people's lofts, then.
            : o_0

I'm glad the birds and the girls are working out. Animals are good for kids and people in general.

Have fun with that.

If you ever get a chance to work with a Harris Hawk, do. They're very bright and social raptors. As a result they're pretty bomb-proof. Cities use them and peregrines for pest (read: pigeon) control because they adapt so well to people.

Originally posted by belevision View Post
            *perks* Ooooo... Where is this featurette? Online somewhere I hope?
            A magic fairy is going to have to get back to you.

Thunking--

Spoiler:

DragonLady
            Last edited by DragonLadyK; 02 January 2009, 11:38 PM.
            "I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now." -- Delenn

Comment

There isn't a way to make this scene make any sort of sense, is there? It's just going to sit there, the proverbial Miss Marple story sitting in the Biography section where it doesn't belong, mocking you with the fact it doesn't match anything else on the shelf.
              LOL. Okay, maybe we aren't seeing the scene the same way!
              The only thing I really truely saw that was out of character for Sam was when I listen to the commentary and Gero used the word disdain which I didn't see in the transporter scene.
              Otherwise, you have two people who don't know each other very well. One who has to define herself in a whole new role and the other who wants to look good for the boss and is off to a rough start - that stuff happens in real life.

Might have worked if Zelenka wasn't using all that self-protective body language: drawing away, hunching over and crossing his arms, looking down. Such as it didn't read as esablishing authority so much as... not quite bullying, but a little on the nasty side.
              I'm guessing his body language was one more of being uncomfortable with the boss who is rather nice looking in a small confide area. I didn't see Sam as being nasty to Radek in Quarantine just trying to take charge. Now Trio, that's a different story and where I really saw Sam as being out of character in regards to her comments about Radek.
              I actually like the fact that Radek and Sam didn't quite hit it off right away. That kind of stuff happens in real life, sort of reminded me how things went with my last boss....

Still, an irrational feeling of creepiness that seeps through despite her attempts to be professional is a more Samlike explanation than dismissive exasperation or contempt or being hoodwinked by McKay.
              Okay, we definitley were not seeing the episode the same way. I see Sam as being somewhat confused by Radek which happens when you don't know someone very well and that she was trying to figure him out. Radek on the other hand felt bad and was probably somewhat embarassed about the tablet being fried and just kept making it worse for himself.

Falconer. noun. Mortal enemy of pigeon-racers.
              LOL. That they are.

Spoiler:
              : I lost three good birds to the likes of you. One of them was a golden eagle -- do you have any idea how hard it is to get a golden eagle permit?
              LOL. Nice!

I'm glad the birds and the girls are working out. Animals are good for kids and people in general.
              Thanks. It's really been quite the experience.
              Luckily though, these birds only eat fish, rabbit and rat - no pigeons!

If you ever get a chance to work with a Harris Hawk, do. They're very bright and social raptors. As a result they're pretty bomb-proof. Cities use them and peregrines for pest (read: pigeon) control because they adapt so well to people.
              I will have to check that out.
              Believe it or not, the 'hawk' in my screen name was not a result of me working with raptures!

Vegas *thunk*
              Spoiler:
              sigpic

Comment

Zelenka is one of my fav character i love see him with mckay, it's so funny. He's a good looking with his wild hairs and those smarts eyes. In vegas he's so gorgeous in suit.

my delicious http://delicious.com/marlislash

Comment

Loved Vegas.
                  Not a real spoiler belevision so you can peek if you dare!
                  Spoiler:
                  So totally different then anything else the writers have done. Joe Flanigan is one hell of a good actor. Love his dark side. Radek has short hair and every piece is in place! He's so cute!

Damn, and they had to cancel SGA before it's time.
                  Oooo, I can't wait! The ep's here waiting for me to watch it (hopefully tonight)!

I've noticed that body language- he's also used it with Rodney and with Elizabeth at times... There's also the nervous hand-to-mouth gesture that he does occasionally, as we see here when Elizabeth scolds him and Lorne in The Game:

Hey! Maybe that's it: Sam's a falconer and Radek is "one of those damn pigeon-racers." *cackles*

Spoiler:

And lovely *thunk*, you guys.

Originally posted by marli View Post
                  Zelenka is one of my fav character i love see him with mckay, it's so funny. He's a good looking with his wild hairs and those smarts eyes. In vegas he's so gorgeous in suit.
                  Welcome to the thread! You'll see lots of gorgeousness and cuteness here too because we post a lot of pics!

Comment

LOL. Okay, maybe we aren't seeing the scene the same way! The only thing I really truely saw that was out of character for Sam was when I listen to the commentary and Gero used the word disdain which I didn't see in the transporter scene. <snip> I didn't see Sam as being nasty to Radek in Quarantine just trying to take charge. Now Trio, that's a different story and where I really saw Sam as being out of character in regards to her comments about Radek.
                    But I saw Trio and Quarantine back-to-back the first time. Whatever was going on in Sam's head in "Quarantine" was bad enough that she later stated (against all rules of good management and normal personal ethics) to two subordinates that being in that transporter with Zelenka was worse than being stuck in a collapsing mine shaft.

Just taking charge and not understanding an odd employee isn't enough to provoke that kind of a reaction, and that kind of a reaction to someone as inoffensive as Zelenka is of itself not Sam. If Zelenka had been acting like McKay in "48 Hours," sure, bring on the hate because good grief, but he wasn't.

I actually like the fact that Radek and Sam didn't quite hit it off right away. That kind of stuff happens in real life, sort of reminded me how things went with my last boss....
                    If they hadn't had the scene in "Trio," I could have bought that.

I will have to check that out. Believe it or not, the 'hawk' in my screen name was not a result of me working with raptures!
                    What is it from?

Mmmmm. Suit. I'll dl the ep when I get home from work (from iTunes, modly ones).

DragonLady
                    "I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now." -- Delenn

Comment

But I saw Trio and Quarantine back-to-back the first time. Whatever was going on in Sam's head in "Quarantine" was bad enough that she later stated (against all rules of good management and normal personal ethics) to two subordinates that being in that transporter with Zelenka was worse than being stuck in a collapsing mine shaft.
                      I can see where you are coming from if you saw both of those episodes back to back. I had a chance to let Quarantine sink in and just enjoy watching two of my favorite characters together before having it slightly tainted by Trio.

The idea of being stuck with Zelenka in a transporter sounds kind of nice!

Just taking charge and not understanding an odd employee isn't enough to provoke that kind of a reaction, and that kind of a reaction to someone as inoffensive as Zelenka is of itself not Sam. If Zelenka had been acting like McKay in "48 Hours," sure, bring on the hate because good grief, but he wasn't.
                      I agree that Trio response was not Sam. Though in all fairness, I have seen management in small personal settings respond similar to what Sam did with employees that they don't connect with - though the comments were not appropriate they did fit with that person's personality where as Sam's comments didn't.

What is it from?
                      My daughter's dad is part Native American so the culture has had a huge influence in my life. I thought Rosehawk sounded kind of cool.

Mmmmm. Suit. I'll dl the ep when I get home from work (from iTunes, modly ones).
                      Enjoy the episode.

Originally posted by marli
                      Hey marli, welcome to the Zelenka thunk thread!
                      He's gorgeous in a suit, not in a suit......

Originally posted by belevision
                      I've noticed that body language- he's also used it with Rodney and with Elizabeth at times... There's also the nervous hand-to-mouth gesture that he does occasionally, as we see here when Elizabeth scolds him and Lorne in The Game:
                      I just love it when Radek talks with body language!
                      Last edited by Rosehawk; 03 January 2009, 10:52 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

If Zelenka had been acting like McKay in "48 Hours," sure, bring on the hate because good grief, but he wasn't.
                        Heck, if he'd been acting like McKay in Quarantine then Carter would have had a lot less fun time of it. Which makes me think- wouldn't it have made for interesting alternate episodes to see:

- McKay instead of Zelenka with Carter in the transporter- I bet Sam would have been rolling her eyes a lot in that one.

- Zelenka instead of McKay in Trio. The dynamic would have been totally different, and the kids probably would have helped them out right away because it's Radek (Radek and kids! ) and he would have been better at convincing them to help, or at least not hampering things. Also, imagine Carter mentioning being stuck in the transporter with Rodney. I bet Radek would have gotten one of those little smiles on his face.

The idea of being stuck with Zelenka in a transporter sounds kind of nice!
                        *nods* I would have felt like I'd won a lottery.

He's gorgeous in a suit, not in a suit......
                        Yes indeed!...
                        Spoiler:

In...

(Elizabeth is noticing that his tie is still perfectly straight, which makes her happy because she tied it for him earlier. He can do it himself, but he likes it when she does it.)

and not in

Last edited by Coaster; 03 January 2009, 11:08 AM.

Comment

i love the second pic , broadest chest, tiny and pink nipple, totally my style.

Comment

OT, but Marli- I adore your sig.

Comment

thanks !!!! they're gorgeous, who need girls LOL !

Comment

Ok, I've seen Vegas and-
                                Spoiler:

I really enjoyed it! The story seemed to imply this was Rod's universe (from McKay and Mrs Miller), but he didn't go by Rod here, and he didn't act like the Rod we saw in that ep, so I'm not sure. He acted more like the Rodney we know, especially with Radek and the way they were bickering (some things never change)!

Loved the bit about the Star Trek experience, where Woolsey knew it had been closed and Radek was bummed because he'd wanted to see it! Love our geeks.

Radek looked gorgeous.

Oh, and I'm certain that after the closing credits, a helicopter swooped in and picked up injured Shep.
                                Last edited by Coaster; 03 January 2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X