John Sheppard Whump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
    ARGH!!! second half of S4?? Gads...that just seems like....FOREVER!!!

Yeah, I can see JF asking for it, wanting it, (hell, I want it) but it seems they made Sheppy an infallible hero that cannot have serious emotional angst/whump, let alone a large chunk of an episode focused on it. *shrugs* I would be squeeing mad if we did get to see something like that on the screen though. (No, I do not count Phantoms as emotional angsty episode for Sheppy either).

Damn, I really am not making any sense am I?
    It is possible to have an emotionally angsty story without making the character look weak after all the hero can't be seen to be cold hearted either. As long as it's well done then it shouldn't make Shep look any less the hero. I for one am going to be greatly looking forward to this ep.

Originally posted by Salty View Post
    What makes me apprehensive about this is how much
    Spoiler:
    Joe says he doesn't like physical whump so if Joe pitched it, then we won't get much! But he did get questions in NJ about backstory and he said it needed to be woven in to the storyline so maybe it addresses something from Sunday. And yes, sigh, I'm aware of Shep's little spoiler in it.
    Aw! When I saw that out of spoiler tags earlier I thought of you, I know it's only a tiny little spoiler but I'm really disappointed for you that you didn't get through without being spoiled.

Originally posted by sherryw View Post
    Ok so I went ahead and joined the bandwagon and got myself an LJ account here it is if anybody wants to add it.

http://sherryw.livejournal.com/
    Friended!

Originally posted by SGAFan View Post
    *kicks ff.net* It won't take my document! Trying to post ch4 of Shattered.

*kicks dirt and glares at ff.net*
    Did ya manage to huh? Huh? Did ya?

Not that I'm eager or anything. It's just your fic and Shoilio's are the only ones I'm reading at the moment.

Originally posted by Sheppard's Delight View Post
    Well the pic of Joe on JM's blog did make me squeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
    I think JM has been listening - didn't someone ask for a new JF pic?

I do have a feeling that the angsty story
    Spoiler:
    will have something to do with his failed marriage - what else has been mentioned in the last half of s3?
    It's definitely the first thing that springs to mind, I guess we'll have to wait and see - I'm definitely marking this up as one to look forward to though.

Comment

Originally posted by Josie View Post
      It is possible to have an emotionally angsty story without making the character look weak after all the hero can't be seen to be cold hearted either. As long as it's well done then it shouldn't make Shep look any less the hero. I for one am going to be greatly looking forward to this ep.

Aw! When I saw that out of spoiler tags earlier I thought of you, I know it's only a tiny little spoiler but I'm really disappointed for you that you didn't get through without being spoiled.

Friended!

Did ya manage to huh? Huh? Did ya?

Not that I'm eager or anything. It's just your fic and Shoilio's are the only ones I'm reading at the moment.

I think JM has been listening - didn't someone ask for a new JF pic?

It's definitely the first thing that springs to mind, I guess we'll have to wait and see - I'm definitely marking this up as one to look forward to though.

Yes we sure did ask for a pic of Joe - so this is particularly nice of JM to give us one!!!!

Re JM's blog he talks about comments that he has read on GW!!! I wonder if he has been lurking around recently? I bet he has popped in this thread and knows all about the nekkid under the infirmary sheet discussions and about Peg

Comment

Yes we sure did ask for a pic of Joe - so this is particularly nice of JM to give us one!!!!

Re JM's blog he talks about comments that he has read on GW!!! I wonder if he has been lurking around recently? I bet he has popped in this thread and knows all about the nekkid under the infirmary sheet discussions and about Peg

I somehow doubt much gets past Mr Mallozzi - I think that he knows exactly what's being talked about and who's saying what.

I'm really going to have to get some writing done today as I did nothing at all yesterday. Though I am going to have to pop out and do some shopping later.

Comment

Spoiler:
          will have something to do with his failed marriage - what else has been mentioned in the last half of s3?
          Hadn't thought of that, anythig that involves backstory will be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
            This one from JM's blog?

I love this pic... well worth an intentional repost. I squeed a ridiculous amount when I clicked onto JM's blog this morning and scrolled down and saw that! Mind you, it makes me wonder if it's possible to take a picture of Joe when he's not filming *without* him having a cup of coffee in his hand or nearby!

From JMs blog....so who is the whumper responsible for this?

Spoiler:

Anonymous #5 writes: “You have promised some Shep whump - which I am assuming is physcial - can we expect any emotional whump or team angst.”

Answer: Joe Flanigan pitched out an idea for a very angst Sheppard episode that the fans are going to LOVE and that Carl Binder will be writing. It’s a terrific idea and Carl is the perfect person to write it. Very, very, very cool. And, incidentally, it will address an issue fans have been discussing since - well, the late back half of season three.

I squeeed even more when I got to that part of JM's blog!

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
            I wonder what issue? There are a couple of possibilities.
            I was going to say I thought it would be to do with
            Spoiler:
            his family/backstory - I was thinking Phantoms and how the fans weren't satisfied with the backstory we got... but then I re-read and realised JM was referring to the late back half of Season 3. So I guess it might be the

Spoilers for Sunday:
            Spoiler:
            marriage thing then?

I'm not sure what else I can think of that fans have been discussing since the late back end of the Season?

Or JM is creating a remarkable marketing strategy.......

Ya know,
            Spoiler:
            JF actually asking for some emotional angst?? Hhm....part of me can't see that cause wouldn't that make his character look..er..um...weak?
            No, Joe's all about progressing the character and wanting to have story arcs that change the character in some way.. it's TPTB who are reluctant to show Sheppard as anything other than the hero or have him have any flaws. I just watched the COnversion commentary this week and Joe was kinda talking about that...

Originally posted by WannaBeAWhumper View Post
            I'm thinking it's that backstory many of us have been wanting...Dad/mom/
            Spoiler:
            marriage
            ...who cares. I think he recognized Phantoms didn't satisfy, and knows we need more...
            Yeah I originally thought Phantoms too but JM says back end of the second half of the season....

Originally posted by Salty View Post
            What makes me apprehensive about this is how much
            Spoiler:
            Joe says he doesn't like physical whump so if Joe pitched it, then we won't get much! But he did get questions in NJ about backstory and he said it needed to be woven in to the storyline so maybe it addresses something from Sunday. And yes, sigh, I'm aware of Shep's little spoiler in it.
            Oh I dunno... for the most part I think we are basing our belief that Joe doesn't like physical whump on the Season 1 Episode Guide? I know in that it was clear that Joe didn't enjoy filming 38 Minutes but I think that was more about the discomfort of lying on the floor of the jumper for several days! And obviously he was new to sci-fi and says himself that he was convinced this (the plastic bug and all) was gonna look ridiculous). I think it was there also that he made his comment about not being a fan of the whole wounded soldier type thing?

Don't forget from comments he made at early cons etc too it seemed he wasn't actually aware of what whump was (thinking it meant people wanted Shep beaten up because they *didn't* like him!). I like to think in the three years since then he has probably grown in experience and understanding and he seems to me (from the eps we've had in recent seasons) to be quite happy with physical whump? Especially if it involves him running around being an action hero... he loved filming TDO for example...

Originally posted by SGAFan View Post
            *kicks ff.net* It won't take my document! Trying to post ch4 of Shattered.

*kicks dirt and glares at ff.net*
            Quick fix for when the document loader isn't working on ffnet - go to your list of stories and pick an existing chapter of a story and export it (this puts the document into the document manager so you can edit it). Go to the document manager and edit the document and copy and paste your new chapter over it. Save the changes and then upload that document as a new chapter exactly as normal.

I've been feeling pretty crap the last couple of days and had zero squee... reading JM's blog today with the lovely pic of Joe (thanks JM for giving in to repeated requests for a pic of Joe on set!) and the awesome and interesting news about Joe's Shep-angsty story idea has gone some way to revive my squee...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
              I love this pic... well worth an intentional repost. I squeed a ridiculous amount when I clicked onto JM's blog this morning and scrolled down and saw that! Mind you, it makes me wonder if it's possible to take a picture of Joe when he's not filming *without* him having a cup of coffee in his hand or nearby!
              I thought exactly the same thing

I squeeed even more when I got to that part of JM's blog!

I was going to say I thought it would be to do with his family/backstory - I was thinking Phantoms and how the fans weren't satisfied with the backstory we got... but then I re-read and realised JM was referring to the late back half of Season 3. So I guess it might be the

Spoiler:
              Spoilers for Sunday:
              marriage thing then?

I'm not sure what else I can think of that fans have been discussing since the late back end of the Season?
              I'll be happy with anything we get, I love the emotional whumpage as you well know.

I've been feeling pretty crap the last couple of days and had zero squee... reading JM's blog today with the lovely pic of Joe (thanks JM for giving in to repeated requests for a pic of Joe on set!) and the awesome and interesting news about Joe's Shep-angsty story idea has gone some way to revive my squee...
              Glad to hear it. Let the wild speculation and squee begin. I swear I'm feeling more and more positive about season 4 by the week.
              Last edited by pilgrim soul; 12 April 2007, 01:24 AM.

Comment

I thought exactly the same thing

I'll be happy with anything we get, I love the emotional whumpage as you well know.

Glad to hear it. Let the wild speculation and squee begin. I swear I'm feeling more and more positive about season 4 by the week.
                I will take any shumpage I can get!!!

Glad Ali has her squee back a little. I totally lost mine over the weekend- not for any reason in particular just was in one of those cant be bothered moods. But feeling much better now...the new pic of Joe just makes me feel all yummy inside!!!! *sigh*

Re JM - yes I bet when we post on his blog he knows all about us

Comment

GG, I tried to green you but have to spread it around (of course)...

I just love the picture of Joe on JM's blog... The only thing that got me thinking:
                  Spoiler:
                  Aren't they shooting Travellers this week??? Let's just hope this was before all the make up from the horrible bruises and cuts was put on
                  *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

Glad Ali has her squee back a little. I totally lost mine over the weekend- not for any reason in particular just was in one of those cant be bothered moods. But feeling much better now...the new pic of Joe just makes me feel all yummy inside!!!! *sigh*
                    Yeah, me too. I've just been feeling generally crummy and low... no specific reason why. Am hoping feeling a bit more cheerful this morning might derail my incoming black mood before it settles...

Josie - can you edit your quote of my post to put in the spoiler tags please? I hit post on my post and realised I'd forgotten to add the tags and had to scrabble to edit it.. you must have gotten to it before I'd saved the changes!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by caty View Post

I just love the picture of Joe on JM's blog... The only thing that got me thinking:
                      Spoiler:
                      Aren't they shooting Travellers this week??? Let's just hope this was before all the make up from the horrible bruises and cuts was put on
                      Well, obviously JM's not gonna put anything *too* spoilerish in the pics on his blog...
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, me too. I've just been feeling generally crummy and low... no specific reason why. Am hoping feeling a bit more cheerful this morning might derail my incoming black mood before it settles...

Josie - can you edit your quote of my post to put in the spoiler tags please? I hit post on my post and realised I'd forgotten to add the tags and had to scrabble to edit it.. you must have gotten to it before I'd saved the changes!
                        Eep! Sorry, for some reason I could have sworn that bit was spoilered, shows how awake I am this morning.

Comment

Spoiler:
                          I can't think of anything else of his backstory that's been mentioned. I'm ok about it, if that's what we're going to learn about.

Agreed. I particularly like that Joe F pitched the idea.

I think he said he pops over to GW if anyone tells him anything of interest is going on. I think JM knows all about us whumpers!
                          I somehow doubt much gets past Mr Mallozzi - I think that he knows exactly what's being talked about and who's saying what.

I'm really going to have to get some writing done today as I did nothing at all yesterday. Though I am going to have to pop out and do some shopping later.
                          Agreed.
                          Oh that was well worth an intentional repost!!! I squeed myself senseless this morning, and that's just what I needed with the day I had yesterday!

I was going to say I thought it would be to do with
                          Spoiler:
                          his family/backstory - I was thinking Phantoms and how the fans weren't satisfied with the backstory we got... but then I re-read and realised JM was referring to the late back half of Season 3. So I guess it might be the

Spoilers for Sunday:
                          Spoiler:
                          marriage thing then?

Me neither,I can't think of anything else. But the thought of Shep
                          Spoiler:
                          angst
                          makes my tummy do the old flip flop stuff. I really crave something emotional and angsty for Sheppard, and hope that's what we'll get.
                          No, Joe's all about progressing the character and wanting to have story arcs that change the character in some way.. it's TPTB who are reluctant to show Sheppard as anything other than the hero or have him have any flaws. I just watched the COnversion commentary this week and Joe was kinda talking about that...
                          I agree. Joe has always wanted his character to have flaws etc.., though he's said he understands why it's difficult for Shep to have them.

Oh I dunno... for the most part I think we are basing our belief that Joe doesn't like physical whump on the Season 1 Episode Guide? I know in that it was clear that Joe didn't enjoy filming 38 Minutes but I think that was more about the discomfort of lying on the floor of the jumper for several days! And obviously he was new to sci-fi and says himself that he was convinced this (the plastic bug and all) was gonna look ridiculous). I think it was there also that he made his comment about not being a fan of the whole wounded soldier type thing?
                          I think also, he said he doesn't like the 'dying soldier' type scenes, but lots of actors don't. AT has said she feels silly doing them, and physically it's demanding too. I suspect this is what Joe means. They know, however, that they have to do them, and just get on with it, in my opinion.
                          Don't forget from comments he made at early cons etc too it seemed he wasn't actually aware of what whump was (thinking it meant people wanted Shep beaten up because they *didn't* like him!). I like to think in the three years since then he has probably grown in experience and understanding and he seems to me (from the eps we've had in recent seasons) to be quite happy with physical whump? Especially if it involves him running around being an action hero... he loved filming TDO for example...

Poor Joe! I remember hearing con reports from P1, where he thought people wanted to hurt Shep because they didn't like the character. I'm sure he's clued up now. He's a smart guy!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by caty View Post

Spoiler:
                            Truthfully, Caty, I don't think that in Travlerers
                            Spoiler:
                            we are going to see lots of Sheppy whump. The fact that JM said in his answer to my and Sheppy D's question that DG has more Shep whump in it, has me thinking Travelers is more of an action eppie. I'm thinking the beaten and bound is the whump. I'm ok with that now, though I'd love to see more. Maybe at the end of the eppie? We can only live in hope"!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                              Truthfully, Caty, I don't think that in Travlerers
                              Spoiler:
                              we are going to see lots of Sheppy whump. The fact that JM said in his answer to my and Sheppy D's question that DG has more Shep whump in it, has me thinking Travelers is more of an action eppie. I'm thinking the beaten and bound is the whump. I'm ok with that now, though I'd love to see more. Maybe at the end of the eppie? We can only live in hope"!!!
                              Yeah, I don't think we'll get much either... But
                              Spoiler:
                              'beaten' just screams for cuts and bruises
                              *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

I agree. Joe has always wanted his character to have flaws etc.., though he's said he understands why it's difficult for Shep to have them.
                                Yeah, he talked about that in the Conversion commentary. That he understands that, as the lead character, you can't often have the kind of progressive arc that he would like, where the character goes through some changes and starts in one place and moves to another etc, and that the Conversion storyline was a good way of getting around that and being able to do that.. without affecting the character long-term.

I think also, he said he doesn't like the 'dying soldier' type scenes, but lots of actors don't. AT has said she feels silly doing them, and physically it's demanding too. I suspect this is what Joe means. They know, however, that they have to do them, and just get on with it, in my opinion.
                                Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. I got the impression from the stuff in the Season 1 guide that his dislike of the "dying soldier" thing is that that kind of scene can be rather OTT and melodramatic (and given the kind of background that Joe had come from, working on more traditional dramas, those kinda scenes probably *were* rather over-done and cheesy in his experience).
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X