X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGAFan
    *tentatively wanders in*

Back from vacation!

Okay, there is NO WAY I have the time to catch up on 68 pages.

Did I miss anything? LOL
    Why, yes, indeedy, there is a way to catch up on 68 pages!
    First, have some time.
    Open this thread.
    Go to THREAD TOOLS
    Choose SHOW PRINTABLE VERSION
    choose "Show 100 posts from this thread on one page"

It's mostly text, cuts out most pictures (we must make some sacrifices) but it's an easy way to catch up. Just make sure you start near the end, not when the thread first began back in ...er... whenever

Comment

Hi Josie!

Yes, wonderful. I have tons of pictures, as soon as I get them sorted I'll upload a bunch to photobucket.

My muse had a nice vacation too... and is chatty again. Squee! Will be writing a fair bit this weekend.

Very squee!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Josie
        And surely if everyone who posts pictures in all the thunk & whump threads etc started uploading their pictures, even small ones, to GW it would crash the site?

I know nothing about how the whole server thing works but suddenly having thousands more pictures uploaded can not be a good thing surely.
        Virtually all pics you see here aren't hosted on GW, so I can't see how they can strain GW's servers. Photobucket's perhaps Anyway, as to the size of the picture. Personally, if it's bigger than the computer screen, it's too big. A dozen pictures posted in a row shouldn't be more than say 3x5 snapshot size, and in quoting, if you you want to point out one particular photo, I see no harm in it. I mean, to say "Wow, I really liked that picture!" and not include it will just leave folks confused...

Basically, copy the text/pictures you're directly referring back to. It only make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
          Virtually all pics you see here aren't hosted on GW, so I can't see how they can strain GW's servers. Photobucket's perhaps Anyway, as to the size of the picture. Personally, if it's bigger than the computer screen, it's too big. A dozen pictures posted in a row shouldn't be more than say 3x5 snapshot size, and in quoting, if you you want to point out one particular photo, I see no harm in it. I mean, to say "Wow, I really liked that picture!" and not include it will just leave folks confused...

Basically, copy the text/pictures you're directly referring back to. It only make sense.

But you can do this by posting the link to the pic rather than the pic itself- so that if people are not sure which pic you are talking about they can click the link and see. In that way you are not breaking the forum rules.

Comment

Originally posted by blingaway
            Poisioning would make it too easy for her to get the puking in. Along the impalement lines, how about "surrounded by hostiles bearing crossbows, pinned to a tree by an arrow, and team needing to get him off the tree before he bleeds to death or the crabby natives kill them all"..?
            If ever there was doubt us whumpers are weird the obsession with vomit would be evidence enough.

Comment

Originally posted by SLC
              Well I am going to miss your large piccies- although I guess you can still post them with the links - but that is not as much fun!

Welcome back BTW!!!!!!
              ((HUGS)) Thanks SLC. I'll still post links, but you're right about the fun factor. At the same time, I understand the reasoning.

And thanks! Great to be back! Must give attention to chattering muse. Have two stories near completion and a new "novel" idea circling (ready to swoop in for the kill I think. LOL)
              sigpic
              My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

Why, yes, indeedy, there is a way to catch up on 68 pages!
                First, have some time.
                Open this thread.
                Go to THREAD TOOLS
                Choose SHOW PRINTABLE VERSION
                choose "Show 100 posts from this thread on one page"

It's mostly text, cuts out most pictures (we must make some sacrifices) but it's an easy way to catch up. Just make sure you start near the end, not when the thread first began back in ...er... whenever
                OMG, what a great idea! I'll try that when I have some time. *G*

Thanks Prion!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi
                  The rules were explained to me long ago by the more senior posters when I joined. So, perhaps it's up to people such as myself to point things out that I know to be against forum rules. Things that were passed down to me. When I joined, posters such as Flo and Beanie pointed out the error of anyone's ways immediately. I've never felt comfortable doing that as it seemed a bit - officious, and I feel uncomfortable doing it really. However, perhaps that was an error on my part. I think the mods do rely on threads such as this and the JFT to be self-moderated to a certain extent, and with so many senior posters leaving the forum, perhaps I should have been more of a mummy here.
                  So, sorry folks!
                  most of these threads are pretty much self-moderating, and as long as you do it politely, there's nothing wrong with virtually tapping someone on the shoulder and pointing out mistakes. It bugs me it when a person makes a mistake, and someone just jumps all over them and rants and raves.

Usually you find out if you make a glaring errors (gasp!) when a mod removes your post or emails you. That's how you find out your signature is, hmm, what was I always told, 'vastly exceeding the size' or something like that and then I'd do look at someone else's sig elsewhere and go, 'well, if I'm vast, he's humungous!'

Comment

That's exactly what I was saying. According to the mod post we're supposed to upload the pics as attachments directly to GW therefore the pictures would be hosted by GW's server as opposed to photobucket or a similar site as they are now. This is why I'm finding that post so difficult to comprehend. Maybe I read it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SLC
                      Very squee!!!!!
                      . We visited Mount St. Helens (still a steaming, active volcano) and took the North Cascades Hwy. (widely considered one of the most scenic byways on the US West coast) Definitely will share pics at some point for those interested.
                      sigpic

Comment

That's exactly what I was saying. According to the mod post we're supposed to upload the pics as attachments directly to GW therefore the pictures would be hosted by GW's server as opposed to photobucket or a similar site as they are now. This is why I'm finding that post so difficult to comprehend. Maybe I read it wrong.
                        Huh? Am I reading this correctly that we're not supposed to use links to PB? That doesn't make sense to me... *confused*

Or maybe they're just talking about hotlinking to other sites (where it's not a picture posted in a hosting acount that you own) THAT I can understand and agree with.

Maybe my brain is still on vacation?
                        sigpic

Comment

Huh? Am I reading this correctly that we're not supposed to use links to PB? That doesn't make sense to me... *confused*

Or maybe they're just talking about hotlinking to other sites (where it's not a picture posted in a hosting acount that you own) THAT I can understand and agree with.

Maybe my brain is still on vacation?
                          Oh yes - looking forwward to seeing the pics!!!

I agree surely they are not talking about your own Photobucket account when they say no hotlinking.....otherwise that wouldnt make any sense.

Comment

Hmm, that sorta makes no sense. That would definitely overload their servers. I mean, the sigs alone would scream DISASTER! in bandwidth usage. Which mod post are you referring to? I mean, photobucket is designed for precisely what we fans are using it for.

Comment

Hmm, that sorta makes no sense. That would definitely overload their servers. I mean, the sigs alone would scream DISASTER! in bandwidth usage. Which mod post are you referring to? I mean, photobucket is designed for precisely what we fans are using it for.
                              This post here

This part in particular.

There is a great way to attach pictures to the thread, using them to make thumbnails so that folks can see what's there without that same picture downloading over and over and over. Just use the attachments button below. This is the preferred way of posting pictures!

Now I realise they are not suggesting everyone does this with every picture but if this is the "preferred" method and everyone started using it surely it would slow the server down more than using PB.

Iz confuzzled!
                              Last edited by pilgrim soul; 06 October 2006, 09:26 AM.

Comment

SQUEE!!!! Welcome back SGAFan!!! *bouncing madly*

Ah.. the custard filled long johns. Just another comment I made that went to the gutter in record time. It would have made you proud. Did I mention I love this group!

A bit OT but very important nonetheless: In case you missed, they are doing the Sunday brunch at VancouverCon. Tickets not on sale yet. Consider this a heads up if you don't want to miss it!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X