John Sheppard Whump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alipeeps
    Ooops. This thread was started on 22 February 2005 - just over 16 months ago. And in the just over 3 months that I have been a member of GW I have racked up the largest amount of posts in this thread.

Oooops.

*should be ashamed but can't help grinning*

Anne Robinson: Ali, tri-lingual business whizz kid, what claim do you have to fame?
    Ali: Well, in the three months I've posted at Gateworld I've achieved the highest number of posts in the Shep whump thread...
    Anne Robinson: My goodness, you've really achieved a lot haven't you dear?
    sigpic

Comment

Righto I am off to watch some eps and cuddle up to the Air Conditioning!!!

See you guys later...I will be checking bright and early for your fic Ali and of course to see if there are any promo pics!!!

Comment

G'night SLC!

I'm just popping in for a few, we're about to bbq and light some of the 'day time' fireworks (smoke bombs etc). Got all the cleaning done thankfully so bug guy won't be treated to a messy house tomorrow. Grrrr.

How do you guys get thread stats?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Josie
          I'm never sure whether to write Carson's accent or not, I've seen it done badly so many times. And not being Scottish it worries me I'll do it badly too.
          I would recommend against it. While I don't usually advocate being lazy (when it comes to writing, anyhow), I would imagine that most readers will already be aware of the accent. It's better to get the general feel of the way he speaks and use the same sort of words than it is to spell things like they sound and hope that people interpret them the same way you do. If need be, you can mention it once or twice. Hopefully that made some sort of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by IWantToBelieve
            G'night SLC!

I'm just popping in for a few, we're about to bbq and light some of the 'day time' fireworks (smoke bombs etc). Got all the cleaning done thankfully so bug guy won't be treated to a messy house tomorrow. Grrrr.

How do you guys get thread stats?
            If you go to the main Character/relationship page, just click on the post count, a little box will appear with the stats in it...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gigajules
              I would recommend against it. While I don't usually advocate being lazy (when it comes to writing, anyhow), I would imagine that most readers will already be aware of the accent. It's better to get the general feel of the way he speaks and use the same sort of words than it is to spell things like they sound and hope that people interpret them the same way you do. If need be, you can mention it once or twice. Hopefully that made some sort of sense.
              I agree. It can work sometimes, writing with the accent, but it doesn't work when I do it!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi
                I agree. It can work sometimes, writing with the accent, but it doesn't work when I do it!
                Oh darlin, it doesn't work when pretty much anyone does it! I've always found it to be very distracting, right up there with bad spelling, since that's essentially what it is.

EDIT: Yes, I totally see the irony of saying "darlin" in a post like this.

Comment

Nearly finished chappy 11 of Shrapnel. In general I think it's best to not try and write Carson's accent phonetically - people can imagine the accent for themselves - but I do sometimes - rarely - use a word here and there if it's something specific I feel he would say that is not conveyed properly by writing it in "normal" speech.

With Carson, capturing his language is for me more a case of what words he would use and how he would construct his sentences than of trying to write his accent phonetically. A prime example being that he would probably say "I'll no.." or "I'll not.." instead of "I won't"

E.g. "I'll no lie to you, it's going to be difficult"

Am I making any sense here?
                  sigpic

Comment

Congrats Ali & Linzi!!

Gigajules I tend to agree with you and have avoided an attempt to "do" Carson's accent. I think it can either come off as horribly corny or just incomprehensible. But at times it's difficult because i hear his voice in my head. Although I'm not Scottish I am familiar enough with the accent to be able to 'hear' it clearly in my head. But I will not be adding any dodgy dialect to my story.

Goodnight SLC!

Comment

Night SLC!
                      In the Carson debate...I can't speak and write English let alone Scottish!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi
                        Night SLC!
                        In the Carson debate...I can't speak and write English let alone Scottish!
                        You likkle liar - u write gud!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps
                          You likkle liar - u write gud!
                          Awwww! *blushes*
                          sigpic

Comment

Well you're not alone there Linzi if there's one thing I've learnt from writing it's just how bad my English is. Not that I'm saying your English is bad, sorry if that sounded like an insult.
                            Last edited by pilgrim soul; 04 July 2006, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Josie
                              Well you're not alone there Linzi if there's one thing I've learnt from writing it's just how bad my English is. Not that I'm saying your English is bad.
                              That's ok sweetie, I know exactly what you mean. I've learned a hell of a lot about English since I began writing too...
                              sigpic

Comment

Ali has been a Godsend, she must have the patience of a saint just to deal with my scattergun approach to punctuation.

Comment

Working...
                                X