• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caty
    Never???? You're not serious?!?

It's like this:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12.../aurora074.jpg
    Dead serious, unfortunately. And I call myself a chocoholic...

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by CeeKay Sheppard
      Dead serious, unfortunately. And I call myself a chocoholic...
      You dooooo? Well, my suggestion is: run to the next grocery store or gas station (whatever is closer) and get one! No real chocoholic has never had Twix! It's like a whumpaholic that's never read fanfiction - just not....right....
      *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

Hello y'all,

Mh, this seems to be a Shep thread, so I decided to post here... I think I haven't done this before.
        A absolutely silly question: What's whumping? Has this something to do with hurt or so?

Anyway, the pics you posted here are great. Love them all!

Freyja

Comment

Originally posted by Freyja
          Hello y'all,

Mh, this seems to be a Shep thread, so I decided to post here... I think I haven't done this before.
          A absolutely silly question: What's whumping? Has this something to do with hurt or so?

Anyway, the pics you posted here are great. Love them all!

Freyja
          Oh, that's cute! A whumping newbie among us! Yes, whumping does mean enjoying to see your character emotionally and/or physically hurt (I know there have been better definitions, but I'm too lazy to look for them...).
          Saying it like that makes it sound weird (and I guess it is), but just look at it this way: If you liked '38 Minutes', you can consider yourself a 'whumper'..
          It has a lot to do with seeing yout favorite character deal with difficult situations and getting hurt is always difficult

Anyone else wanna try to explain why SO MANY of us like whumping???

PS: Doesn't your heart leap when you see pics like these:

Comment

Originally posted by slcz3
            Oh how I would like to have his head resting in my lap!!!
            Me too!

It's not really official yet, but I think that's the general idea. Never having eaten a Twix bar, I'm not quite sure what the comparison is, but I think it's cute.
            *gasp*
            Well, if your fave 'ship is going to be named after said chocolate bar, you can't not try one! Plus, it's an excuse to eat chocolate!

Originally posted by prion
            Uh, er, (hides), cuz it's not finished. hit an impasse, but hope to get back to it soon, and then I wrote "Blood" cuz I couldn't shake that idea.... but hopefully soon!
            Okey-dokey. Just glad it hasn't been forgotten!

Comment

Welcome, Freyja!

As Caty said, if you liked 'Thirty Eight Minutes' (and it wasn't because you had an intense desire to see a puddlejumper get stuck in a stargate), then it's safe to say that you like Shep whumping.
              Other clues would be:
              i. Wishing 'The Defiant One' had been longer so you got to see John's painful return to Atlantis, with his ribs hurting and his arm bleeding...possibly with unknown internal bleeding...
              ii. Watching any episode and hoping that any minute something will happen that will result in Shep being injured.
              iii. Seeking out (or writing) fanfics where Shep is injured, nearly dies...or nearly dies repeatedly.
              iv. Melting inside whenever Shep is suffering some kind of emotional distress.
              v. Seeking out (or writing) fanfics where Shep suffers some kind of emotional distress.

It has a lot to do with seeing yout favorite character deal with difficult situations and getting hurt is always difficult

Anyone else wanna try to explain why SO MANY of us like whumping???
              Hmm...now why it that the question "what?" is so much easier to answer than "why?"...?

But, yeah, I agree it's to do with them dealing with difficult situations - seeing the character's human weakness/vulnerability and, at the same time, their inner strength.
              I also have a theory about it being to do with the character showing vulnerability and the need for someone - someone to help them, someone to hug them or whatever.

It's bizarre...it's not fully explainable...but it exists: heart leaps at the sight of Shep whump!

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantean Epona
                Welcome, Freyja!

As Caty said, if you liked 'Thirty Eight Minutes' (and it wasn't because you had an intense desire to see a puddlejumper get stuck in a stargate), then it's safe to say that you like Shep whumping.
                Other clues would be:
                i. Wishing 'The Defiant One' had been longer so you got to see John's painful return to Atlantis, with his ribs hurting and his arm bleeding...possibly with unknown internal bleeding...
                ii. Watching any episode and hoping that any minute something will happen that will result in Shep being injured.
                iii. Seeking out (or writing) fanfics where Shep is injured, nearly dies...or nearly dies repeatedly.
                iv. Melting inside whenever Shep is suffering some kind of emotional distress.
                v. Seeking out (or writing) fanfics where Shep suffers some kind of emotional distress.

Hmm...now why it that the question "what?" is so much easier to answer than "why?"...?

But, yeah, I agree it's to do with them dealing with difficult situations - seeing the character's human weakness/vulnerability and, at the same time, their inner strength.
                I also have a theory about it being to do with the character showing vulnerability and the need for someone - someone to help them, someone to hug them or whatever.

It's bizarre...it's not fully explainable...but it exists: heart leaps at the sight of Shep whump!
                Now, THAT's an explanation! I just remembered something funny.
                When I was young (I guess about 10 or 12), my first favorite show was 'X-Men', the cartoon. Since I was still a kid, my favorite character was female, but I do remember that I always liked the episodes in which she got hurt best. I watched those over and over again, still have em in my closet as VCR's... Isn't that weird? I guess a whumper is born as a whumper...

Of course, now that I'm older my favorite characters are mostly male and I can broaden my horizon by writing my own whump stories...

Comment

Welcome Freyja!

I think the others explained it pretty well. We're pretty much sickos. LOL

I think many of the whumping fans wish they were there to take care of their favorite character and like imagining it. Or they just like to see the actor have an emotional scene to do or character have something interesting happen to them.

Comment

Originally posted by NikkiH
                    Welcome Freyja!

I think the others explained it pretty well. We're pretty much sickos. LOL

I think many of the whumping fans wish they were there to take care of their favorite character and like imagining it. Or they just like to see the actor have an emotional scene to do or character have something interesting happen to them.
                    Isn't it hilarious how we try to explain whumping to others so they won't think we're sickos?

I do feel normal, though

Comment

Isn't it hilarious how we try to explain whumping to others so they won't think we're sickos?

I do feel normal, though
                      I take comfort in numbers. There are so many whumpers out there, that we must be normal! lol!

Comment

Why do we enjoy whump? I think one possible answer to that also explains why most (if not all) of the whumpers in here are women: maternal instinct. In other words...

Aw, cr*p. I'm just repeating what Nikki said... so don't mind me...

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantean Epona

I agree totally. It just makes my tummy do a flip flop when Shep is hurt and showing that he has a vulnerable side. I just have the urge to look after him! There is nothing odd about that - us whumpers are very loving ,caring people!

Comment

I agree totally. It just makes my tummy do a flip flop when Shep is hurt and showing that he has a vulnerable side. I just have the urge to look after him! There is nothing odd about that - us whumpers are very loving ,caring people!
                            Of course we are! Whumping mania is an age old phenomenum.
                            Lot's of people love the hurt/comfort scenario, and it is the vulnerability of a strong character that is so appealing, and the desire to mother the character too!
                            Just to let those of you know who are interested, I am near completion of my first chapter of the whump ficcie I agreed to try to write. I have included as many of the plot ideas mentioned here as possible, but have opted for a serious ficcie, so some elements had to be left out!
                            I'll let you know when it's done. Wish me luck!
                            sigpic

Comment

Why do we enjoy whump? I think one possible answer to that also explains why most (if not all) of the whumpers in here are women: maternal instinct. In other words...

Aw, cr*p. I'm just repeating what Nikki said... so don't mind me...
                              Hmm...I wonder if there are any male whumpers...not neccessarily for Shep, but for anybody...surely there must be?! Though, paternal instinct probably works a little differently I suppose...

Has anybody ever come across a male whumper for any character or fandom?
                              Hmm...are any of the Shep whumpers here actually men and no one has noticed?

Comment

Exactly. We like whump scenarios to be set up so we can display our loving, caring nature (display it in our heads - imagining ourselves taking care of him).

Originally posted by Linzi
                                Just to let those of you know who are interested, I am near completion of my first chapter of the whump ficcie I agreed to try to write. I have included as many of the plot ideas mentioned here as possible, but have opted for a serious ficcie, so some elements had to be left out!
                                I'll let you know when it's done. Wish me luck!
                                Ooh! Hurrah! Well done and good luck, Linzi!

Comment

Working...
                                X