John Sheppard Whump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emily_reich
    OMG! you guys make me want to see this ep more and more EVERY DAY!! i seriously can't wait to see it.... it sounds like an incredible shep whump episode!

so why, of all the eps this season, did i have to miss THIS one

the dvds are sooooo far away
    It really is an amazing ep. For a couple of reasons. IT was an early ep and it was the first one to really show the TEAM effort. Show them working together. And it was interesting how EVERYONE was focused on SHEP. Rodney was totally focused on Shep being okay. Ford and Teyla. And WEIR was all about Shep. It was kinda funny. Everyone on the Jumper was about to die but her main concern was SHEP all the way too. IT was like the ep showed the LOYALTY he commanded right from the get go. How important he became to them, for whatever individual reasons, right from the beginning.

And as for Shep/Joe. Joe is phenomenal. How he shows Shep is in agony but struggling against it and trying to keep everyone focused and he's trying to stay in control. He's all about worrying about everyone else and wanting to save them.

And the way he does PAIN is WOW. I mean I've watched this ep about 30 times and I'm always gritting my teeth and my stomach is in knots. That "PLease don't do that again scene" will kill you. It's the quaver in his voice. You can HEAR the pain. It's the way he's shaking. His eyes. Facial expression.

And in the very first scene of him injured, he's in alot of pain and as he's laying there he kinda flails one arm, like he's trying to find something to grab on to to ground himself. Just a little thing but it just adds to the moment. It's just such a JOE thing to do. IT's why I find Shep so fascinating. Because Joe does those little moments/those little things in every ep.

Comment

yay!! another emotion junkie! and that's it EXACTLY!! (i say that a lot in here, don't i?? ) he's absolutely incredible with emotion no matter what he's feeling, you feel it too! one of those incredible actors that can make you cry WITHOUT crying but still feeling that same emotion!

i think his fear and pain (both emotional and physical) are always the most tangible, but also his caring and concern are powerful too

i'm one of the rare few that love troy... it's actually one of my favorite movies!! (*definite loner in that opinion* )

but shep and all of atlantis are still SOOOOO much better!
      I love how passionate Shep is and how he isn't afraid to show it. How he's so charismatic and such a good diplomat/people person, yet a loner who's emotionally detached.

As for Troy. I adored much of it like Eric Bana and Sean Bean and I forgot the name of Hector and PAris' dad <The actor>

But Brad? Mind you I used to adore him...but he was beyond awful. I laughed at him like a loon. But the visuals were amazing and I would watch again just for Eric Bana and Sean.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
        It really is an amazing ep. For a couple of reasons. IT was an early ep and it was the first one to really show the TEAM effort. Show them working together. And it was interesting how EVERYONE was focused on SHEP. Rodney was totally focused on Shep being okay. Ford and Teyla. And WEIR was all about Shep. It was kinda funny. Everyone on the Jumper was about to die but her main concern was SHEP all the way too. IT was like the ep showed the LOYALTY he commanded right from the get go. How important he became to them, for whatever individual reasons, right from the beginning.

And as for Shep/Joe. Joe is phenomenal. How he shows Shep is in agony but struggling against it and trying to keep everyone focused and he's trying to stay in control. He's all about worrying about everyone else and wanting to save them.

And the way he does PAIN is WOW. I mean I've watched this ep about 30 times and I'm always gritting my teeth and my stomach is in knots. That "PLease don't do that again scene" will kill you. It's the quaver in his voice. You can HEAR the pain. It's the way he's shaking. His eyes. Facial expression.

And in the very first scene of him injured, he's in alot of pain and as he's laying there he kinda flails one arm, like he's trying to find something to grab on to to ground himself. Just a little thing but it just adds to the moment. It's just such a JOE thing to do. IT's why I find Shep so fascinating. Because Joe does those little moments/those little things in every ep.
        Right ON, Merlin7! Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think I'm gonna slap that ep(38min) in the ol' VCR and just zone out everything else.
        Zelazny, FBI~Undercover Division

Comment

I love how passionate Shep is and how he isn't afraid to show it. How he's so charismatic and such a good diplomat/people person, yet a loner who's emotionally detached.
          i also love that he's so emotional and, as you said, passionate, and charismatic, but you can STILL see in his eyes that he's holding something in and is carrying so much pain and weight and resposibility that it's wearing on him (you can really see this in LFP, and both parts on the siege)
          Spoiler:
          in fact, the pain he's been holding in about sumner is a focus in siege 2... he even starts to say something about how it's ben affecting him, but he gets cut off!!! i just KNOW that if he'd kept going i would have cried! but the pain you see in his eyes, especially when everett says "we'll finish this later" is so sad.... i just wanted to go in and give everett a bloody nose or something!!

joe plays the subtlety of that balance of charisma and inner pain so well!! it's just amazing

As for Troy. I adored much of it like Eric Bana and Sean Bean and I forgot the name of Hector and PAris' dad <The actor>

But Brad? Mind you I used to adore him...but he was beyond awful. I laughed at him like a loon. But the visuals were amazing and I would watch again just for Eric Bana and Sean.
          lol... funny thing is, i'm usually NOT a brad pitt fan... i actually went in to the movie thinking "well it sounds great, but WHY brad pitt???" but while i thought a few parts were a wee bit shaky, i thought he did a great job and overall i loved every minute of the movie

and peter o'toole i believe played priam... and you're right... the three of them were awesome the only person i really didn't like much was helen... she kept hyperventilating... what was up with that??? (hmm... maybe i just liked achilles because he was so much LESS annoying than her... )

but ANYWAY... back to the shep whumping!!

re: 38 minutes... wow, i can really tell i'm gonna love it and i get misty just imagining him saying that line, cuz i KNOW he'd deliver it so well!

Comment

i also love that he's so emotional and, as you said, passionate, and charismatic, but you can STILL see in his eyes that he's holding something in and is carrying so much pain and weight and resposibility that it's wearing on him (you can really see this in LFP, and both parts on the siege)
            Spoiler:
            in fact, the pain he's been holding in about sumner is a focus in siege 2... he even starts to say something about how it's ben affecting him, but he gets cut off!!! i just KNOW that if he'd kept going i would have cried! but the pain you see in his eyes, especially when everett says "we'll finish this later" is so sad.... i just wanted to go in and give everett a bloody nose or something!!

joe plays the subtlety of that balance of charisma and inner pain so well!! it's just amazing

lol... funny thing is, i'm usually NOT a brad pitt fan... i actually went in to the movie thinking "well it sounds great, but WHY brad pitt???" but while i thought a few parts were a wee bit shaky, i thought he did a great job and overall i loved every minute of the movie

and peter o'toole i believe played priam... and you're right... the three of them were awesome the only person i really didn't like much was helen... she kept hyperventilating... what was up with that??? (hmm... maybe i just liked achilles because he was so much LESS annoying than her... )

but ANYWAY... back to the shep whumping!!

re: 38 minutes... wow, i can really tell i'm gonna love it and i get misty just imagining him saying that line, cuz i KNOW he'd deliver it so well!

GOD..that SIEGE 2 stuff you mention. Killed me. I hope it's played upon more in season 2. It would be a sin not too. Joe was so freaking good. And in LETTERS you can so see how everything is wearing him down. He's just so raw and open and weary by then. Yet trying to not let it show. But he's losing his laid back manner. It's slipping.

As for Brad in Troy...I just died. Laughing. I couldn't help it. He acted by flaring his nostrils. He was just really bad. <To me> And I never usually say that. I usually try and defend him. And he's been good in some things. But he had two expressions in TROY. In fact, after I started watching SGA and a friend and I talked about Troy, I kept thinking to myself, Joe would have been fab. He doesn't have the BULK to play Achilles, but he has the acting chops.

I can't wait till you see 38 and we can DISH. You are so going to love it.
            My other fave lines from that ep.

"I KNOW YOU ARE" He says it to WEir.

And "Do you mean my day just got worse?" Or however it goes. I can't get "Please don't do that again" out of my head.

Oh and "Don't talk to ME about Screwed" WOW!

Comment

GOD..that SIEGE 2 stuff you mention. Killed me. I hope it's played upon more in season 2. It would be a sin not too. Joe was so freaking good. And in LETTERS you can so see how everything is wearing him down. He's just so raw and open and weary by then. Yet trying to not let it show. But he's losing his laid back manner. It's slipping.
              yes!! i can watch siege 2 OVER and OVER and feel even more sorry for shep EVERY time!!
              Spoiler:
              especially the end and we he just takes off running after the chair won't start... you see the look on his face and KNOW he's going on the suicide mission... and you know he's considering it from the first moment mckay can't make it work... it's even sadder because you just KNOW deep down that the reason he's so willing to go is because he's prob'ly willing to die at this point, especially if it'll save everyong... for the same reasons it would INDEED be a sin not to continue this stuff next season... going all the way back to shooting sumner and everything piling on since... he's depressed on the inside but still trying to cover it up by being happy on the outside...
              and as you said, in LFP he's REALLY slipping and wearing thin.... between arguing with teyla, having to watch the wraith taking hundreds of people (and hear them scream) and thinking that it's his fault the whole time... and you can see every bit of it in his eyes!

In fact, after I started watching SGA and a friend and I talked about Troy, I kept thinking to myself, Joe would have been fab. He doesn't have the BULK to play Achilles, but he has the acting chops.
              joe would have been fabulous in troy! in fact, lots of people from stargate would have been too and he could eaily bulk up!

I can't wait till you see 38 and we can DISH. You are so going to love it.
              My other fave lines from that ep.

"I KNOW YOU ARE" He says it to WEir.

And "Do you mean my day just got worse?" Or however it goes. I can't get "Please don't do that again" out of my head.

Oh and "Don't talk to ME about Screwed" WOW!
              OMG!! i can't wait!! DISH indeed!! it seriously sounds like emotion junkie and whumper heaven! this wait for the dvds is getting longer by the minute!!

and i haven't even SEEN the ep and can't get "please don't do that again" out of my head now! i can tell how that would be such a powerful line!

Comment

Was it Richard Harris or someone?
                Eric Bana does Whump rather well, doesn't he? I'd love to see him turn up on Atlantis - a dual whump would be most excellent.

oh my....
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starfish
                  emily_reich - 38 Minutes hopefully will make your day when you see it. It is WELL worth the wait. Although I'd be fed up with the waiting by now if I were you. \
                  you have NOOOOOOO idea!!

38 Minutes - The thing that really made my tummy flip was the scream...The conversations did too but there was something about the scream, so full of pain that really got to me.

he screams too??!!!

oh man, can fall come any faster??!!!

Eric Bana does Whump rather well, doesn't he? I'd love to see him turn up on Atlantis - a dual whump would be most excellent.

oh my....
                  he DOES whump well! (another great thing about that movie!! lots of whump) ooh!! on atlantis!! dual whump??!! ooh, that's evil MC!! cuz that would be brilliant!! but it's never gonna happen...

Comment

LOL!!! hide and seek??? umm... i don't remember a scream there either!! lol

Comment

LOL!! yeah... i think someone did not sheo though! shep only ALMOST gets eaten by the blob

so he screams in 38 minutes??? awww... poor shep!!

i love whumping

Comment

Yes, I thought that was good to.....and that little twitch of his leg when he was in pain and then when he was being revived as well. Definitely agree with you about those things adding to the moment.

Comment

Yep, 38 Minutes was the definitive Shep whumping episode. Poor Shep kept asking everyone to get it off him. I wonder what would have happened if Teyla and Ford simultaneously cut off the bug's legs. Could the bug have healed itself from a mutilation like that? Yeah, when he yelled after Ford tried to shoot it -- I so wanted to hug him!!

I love it that Shep is so whumpable. Joe is so good at expressing pain with both body language and facial expressions.

I can't wait to see Siege II tonight!! I bet there is going to be some emotional whump.

Comment

I have to admit, I am partial to the occasional whump...and Shep does get whumped, both physically and emotionally, an awful lot.

Joe is really good at playing it though. Even in other shows, like when he
                            Spoiler:
                            finds out Freya is a telepath in Thoughtcrimes, or when he's fighting in Tru Calling

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                            "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

I agree - "Please don't do that again!" as his voice quavers and he's sweating. That scream too! You know that's really him and you don't even have to see him to appreciate that whump! My most favorite part of the whole ep and I remember lying on the couch thinking "I can't believe the third ep is this much of a whumper" I was sweating and hoping hubby wouldn't notice!

Emily - just why haven't you seen this??? Can we get you a copy?? Every whumper, emotional junkie needs to see this!
                              sigpic
                              Read about my SGA set visit at My LiveJournal - June 2007

Comment

Eh-hem...*taps microphone* ...uh, is this thing on? *taps mic again, speaks louder* Testing! *mic feedback* OUCH! *holding ears* Okay, it's on.

Eh-hem. For your listening pleasure:

Sheppard screaming in 38min.
                                *cringe* Wow...

and

"Please don't do that again."
                                Ah! I want to hug him so hard that the darn bug would pop off!

This is nothing like seeing and listening to it on the TV, but it's still good. At least emily_reich can hear what we're talking about if she wants to!
                                Zelazny, FBI~Undercover Division

Comment

Working...
                                X