Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Slash/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LMichelle
    There's a few McShep communities. I'd post links, but we can't post links to NC-17 stuff.

You can search mckay/sheppard under interests. There's also a ship recs community that recommends fic for a bunch of pairings including McShep.
    Oh LJ is just jam packed with McShepp stuff everything you could possibly want from straight *cough* up fics to kink to MPreg to Harlequin (?) it is all there, not to mention the manips *oh how I would love to mention the manips!* I haven't read/seen all of them but I know they are there, so little time so much love.

Comment

I've seen a few people say that they don't see that Rodney and Sheppard are friends, and I'm always like 'huh?' because I thought it was obvious. Maybe not, anyway, this is interesting:

Discussion on Rodney and John's friendship on LJ
      ----
      There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
      serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

Originally posted by ladysarah
        I've seen a few people say that they don't see that Rodney and Sheppard are friends, and I'm always like 'huh?' because I thought it was obvious. Maybe not, anyway, this is interesting:

Discussion on Rodney and John's friendship on LJ
        Interesting I didn't read it word for word...I found the comments from LJ users to be interesting... but I will not say anything here as that would be wrong.

My take from what I did read and my thougths on why some people don't see the McKay/Sheppard thang! Sorry it is really looooooong!

I think everyone sees what they want, there are character's on SGA that make my skin crawl but others love them to death, there are moments I treasure on the show that others don't even pick up on.

One thing that has to be said loud and clear... STARGATE writers love their characters to be SNARKY and no one SNARKS better then McKay! You can't have McKay without the snark! Not possible! I wouldn't want it any other way!

So any friendship or relationship or sexual paring needs that, that more then anything is why I NEVER brought Katie Brown and McKay there was ZERO snark. Now Carter/McKay I can see, when I need to but McKay needs to be able to snark as it is a fundamental part of his personality, it would be like removing the flirting from Sheppard's....

Now some fans maybe don't get that, maybe they have never had a real relationship because I can tell you most of mine have some snarkiness in the mix, it is human nature that things are not all harts and flowers, and in a lot of relationships between males, it is their way of saying I do care *weird to some*

Also this goes to my main problem with some slash writers who make them 'fem' I am sorry they are not females, they are hot blooded males who happen in the slash-verse be into each other... People sometimes confuse slash with a weird stereotype of homosexuality or worse they have a weird need to make one 'female" in the relationship, I don't think it EVER needs to be made into that kind of thing. To me that is just poor understanding of the characters and maybe *dare I say it* poor/lazy/bad writing.

I do view the show with an eye to slash these days *make no apologies for that* but from the start *pre-slash* I saw the buddy relationship, I still think it is instigated by Sheppard more then McKay, because Sheppard has a more open personality, and he is a big dam flirt! God love him. Also as the TEAM leader Sheppard knows they have to get along, he needs to find ways to feel connected to McKay, he needs to know he can trust him. But I also think McKay needs that, Rodney doesn't strike me as the kind of person to seek friendship (he may crave it, he is only human) but to actively seek it out, join clubs (besides MENSA) and god sporting groups, no that is not who McKay is. He probably misses out a lot on life because of that and seeing Sheppard so at ease with people probably gets his back up sometimes, hence the snarking but I do think McKay leaves the direction of their friendship to Sheppard, again in "Trinity"
        Spoiler:
        it was all left in Sheppard's court as to whether their "friendship"/trust could be restored. Yes McKay has to do the work to gain it back but Sheppard decides when/if that happens.

I can't believe anyone could watch that final scene in "Trinity" and not know they are friends. I can't even begin to think how you couldn't see it 'as plain as the snark in Rodney's voice'.

If you think all friendships have to be full of nice words, comforting moments ALL the time; sure you will not 'get' McKay/Sheppard whether slash or FRIEND ship, but if you are mature enough to understand people are diverse and come with all manner of personalities and sometimes the personality you think is grating can turn out to be the biggest turn on of all time... then look at McKay/Sheppard because I have never felt more love between two men before, well maybe Brian/Justin on QAF! Now there; Brian he is another great example of using snark to show he cares.

But as I am more a McKay fan I do tend to think about his motivations more then Sheppard's plus McKay has had slightly more development if only because of the SG-1 eps, so...

McKay snarks with Sheppard IMHO not only because it is part of his personality, but he would, I believe, have had to *sadly* belittle others to get his ideas and discoveries across in a scientific sense as McKay doesn't have a personable personality. He wouldn't have any other choice or at least he wouldn't feel there is a choice, and after a while it becomes second nature to be snarky rather then listen to a genuine good idea.

He is of course intelligent enough to usually listen in the end, but for that split second he is the mega genius and who the hell are you is what he is thinking. To me that is what makes Sheppard so perfect for McKay, Sheppard is smart, he is intelligent, not in the same way as McKay. Sheppard has more lateral thinking abilities then McKay IMO, that is valuable for him as the CO of the military, even more so then it would be for someone like McKay. I understand why McKay would see that as sexy, and well of course blind Freddy can see Sheppard is a handsome man so they are the instigators for a slash relationship from McKay's POV.

Sheppard needs a challenge, he obviously likes to be kept on his toes, never a dull moment (despite his words he is anything but lazy) and because he is so intelligent a 'sexy guy (or gal)' is just that, sexy, he needs more then the physical appearances, I do *as a DH/RM fan* see McKay as mega sexy, but in fandom I also understand others needing to know why Sheppard would want McKay 'that way' my take is Sheppard knows *thinks* he could have anyone, he may not always have them or want them for long... but he could 'bed' them. Sheppard knows he needs more and as scary as it is to him I think he sees McKay as giving him the challenge and intelligence his craves in a relationship. NOT everything has to come down to pure physical attraction... really it doesn't. But hey if I and many, many others can find Rodney sexy then why not Sheppard? *I just said I find a fictional character sexy. Shoot me now! *

My final and controversial take on why some 'people' don't see McKay/Sheppard slash or friendship even; is that in fandom their has been a not always 'nice' relationship between McKay fans and Sheppard fans; they *both sides* just can't see their favourite character with the other in any way shape or form. Oh and lets face it some just have their own OTP so even making a small concession to McKay/Sheppard is not allowed.

But it is still more then my fave character shouldn't be paired with that person *I can get that* to me it is more that, either McKay is so smart why would he need someone like Sheppard. Or Sheppard is so pretty/sexy why would he settle for someone like McKay when xyz is right there for him.

Again just my take but I think this misses the point of relationships, yes there needs to be a mental spark and a physical attraction but there is also the 'x' factor, I know their is a better way to put it but I can't think of it right now , it is that moment when you realise you can not be without this person in your life, even if it isn't always the best idea that 'x' factor wins you over. So if you are one of those people who only looks at the more superficial in these things then the paring will never seem right to you. If you look deeper, I can't believe anyone could not see it.

But you know that is just my take on it.

Comment

Now for something completely different.

Rodney: Do you think you could show me that thing with the stunners again? I am almost sure I can fire it now without electrocuting myself.

John: *to self* Yes!

John: Sure thing McKay, meet me at PJ one in 20.

Rodney: *to self* Yes!

John: McKay you need to aim higher, and keep the dam stunner straight!

Rodney: I am keeping it straight!

John: Rodney I thought I said aim higher and straighter!

Rodney: I did... well I wasn't expecting there to be Dinosaurs! Is it gaining on us?! Oh god it's going to eat us, I'm a dead man!

John: Dam it Rodney! I only agreed to this so I could be alone with you, jeez you're a hard guy to date.

Rodney: What? Really?

John: McKay move!

Rodney: Oh... oh right! Um, so Colonel... um, John; this is our first date then...right?

John: McKay!

Last edited by Willow'sCat; 30 June 2006, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Question, and sorry it has to be in spoiler tags as it is about Season 3, and in particular McKay & Mrs Miller.

Spoiler:
            I read and heard some of the spoilers surrounding McKay, including that we will get two McKay's (alternative McKay should appear in the episode McKay and Mrs Miller, David Hewlett refers in the Urban Rush special to playing McKay twice and we know the whole M&MM ep deals with alternative/parallel Universes) *like one McKay isn't annoying enough* but I am wondering what you guys think the interaction with John might/could/should be?

I know with Scifi and spoilers, we never get as much as we would like with character interactions so there may turn out to be zero Not-McKay/Sheppard moments.

But if there were, I would love an alternative McKay like we had in SG-1 Moebius(?), he was far more confident but still his lovely snarky self. I don't want an incompetent McKay, but I wouldn't mind an even geekier (stereotyped) McKay, I would die for him to wear glasses...*cough* anyway.

As a slasher I would love a jealous Rodney, It would be fun to see 'our' Rodney jealous of himself! But in slash to have him jealous of himself because his alternative self is hitting on John would be great. I know some fics have already gone down this path, but having it on the show (OK sadly not the hitting on part) could be really interesting.

Would John feel as protective of an alternative McKay? Would he be more protective? How would John deal with a nice alternative McKay!?!?

And where would Jeannie fit into all of this as the sister? I am also wondering about Jeannie, would John and Jeannie get along really well, and given that Jeannie seems to have a mathematician's mind would John just be putty in her hands? (Yes Jeannie is married so no flirting )

I'm going off to ponder this some more.

To make up for the spoilers.

Um, what can I say... John loves Rodney for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
              Um, what can I say... John loves Rodney for a reason.

You naughty person
              sigpic
              "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
                You naughty person
                Oh; come on you love it.

Comment

Oh; come on you love it.
                  Course I do
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks Willow'sCat... that one made my day

Comment

Thought this thread could use a bump

Not sure what Rodney is staring at, but I have a good idea

And here are some McShep avs I've recently made (I've become addicted). Feel free to snurch.

Comment

Spoilers to Mrs Miller episode.
                        Spoiler:

[QUOTE]
                        As a slasher I would love a jealous Rodney, It would be fun to see 'our' Rodney jealous of himself! But in slash to have him jealous of himself because his alternative self is hitting on John would be great. I know some fics have already gone down this path, but having it on the show (OK sadly not the hitting on part) could be really interesting.

Would John feel as protective of an alternative McKay? Would he be more protective? How would John deal with a nice alternative McKay!?!?

And where would Jeannie fit into all of this as the sister? I am also wondering about Jeannie, would John and Jeannie get along really well, and given that Jeannie seems to have a mathematician's mind would John just be putty in her hands? (Yes Jeannie is married so no flirting )

I'm going off to ponder this some more.
                        Personally, I’d like a scene where Sheppard is all charming and slightly flirtatious with Jeannie and Rodney freaks out. That could easily be canon, you could read it that Rodney is over-protective of his sister, or that he’s jealous. Or a bit of both. Because marriage doesn’t stop casual flirting (well, it hasn’t stopped me).

And as for Sheppard being attracted to Jeannie, that would be very interesting, considering the actress whose going to play Jeannie is David’s sister, one would assume they share physical and quirky characteristics – Sheppard’s attracted to Rodney, he just doesn’t know it and is channelling it to Jeannie. Also, it would mess with minds.
                        ----
                        There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
                        serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

Originally posted by ladysarah
                          Spoilers to Mrs Miller episode.
                          Spoiler:

Personally, I’d like a scene where Sheppard is all charming and slightly flirtatious with Jeannie and Rodney freaks out. That could easily be canon, you could read it that Rodney is over-protective of his sister, or that he’s jealous. Or a bit of both. Because marriage doesn’t stop casual flirting (well, it hasn’t stopped me).

And as for Sheppard being attracted to Jeannie, that would be very interesting, considering the actress whose going to play Jeannie is David’s sister, one would assume they share physical and quirky characteristics – Sheppard’s attracted to Rodney, he just doesn’t know it and is channelling it to Jeannie. Also, it would mess with minds.
                          I like the idea as a fic, but no so much on the show...

Spoiler:
                          I think it would get some people's nickers in a knot if we had Sheppard flirting with a very married Jeannie and despite the screening time being something like 10PM! SGA is still more a family show then anything, apparently anyway good for fic but tread carefully for anything like that on the actual show. I agree though it would mess with minds!

Comment

Happy World Slash Appreciation Day!!

Comment

This was posted in the Hewlett/McKay Thunk...

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=13684

Thanks to Mercury973.

Comment

This was posted in the Hewlett/McKay Thunk...

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=13684

Thanks to Mercury973.
                                Now THAT I like
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X