Rodney McKay/Elizabeth Weir Discussion/Ship/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purpleyin
    Yes, read that. Or there is sort of this.
    Seige part 2 tag.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2295755/1/

Yeah, I like that one too....

I guess we have to wait 3 more months to find out!
    It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Here's something to chew on (spoilers from Sanctuary and Brotherhood):

Spoiler:
      Chaya from the ep Sanctuary has received quite a bit of wrath from both Sheppard/Weir and Sheppard/Teyla shippers (as well as other fans, obviously). However, Alina from the ep Brotherhood has not received any complaints, even from the McKay/Weir shippers. Both were one-ep romantic interests of Sheppard and Rodney, respectively. So, why no probs with Alina but such displeasure toward Chaya?

Some possibilities:
      -Alina was a more likeable and better written character than Chaya. Alina was more forward, helpful and had a (better?) backstory of the Brotherhood, while fans think that Chaya was more distant, intentionally deceptive, and her backstory with the Ancients didn't reveal much about her or them.
      -Rodney was more in character dealing with Alina than Sheppard was with Chaya. His fumblings were exactly how fans thought he would react, while Sheppard's sudden attraction to Chaya and his leaving the base abruptly at the end was seen as massively out of character.
      -Sanctuary was overall a more poorly written story than the Brotherhood, with fans thinking most of the Atlantis crew were out of character. Unpleasant thoughts of the ep spilled over to Chaya.
      -Fans are more accepting of Alina because Rodney didn't "get the girl" in the end (see her as harmless?)
      -Fans are more interested in seeing Rodney have relationships than Sheppard (rooting for the geek?)

What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
        Spoiler:

Some possibilities:
        -Alina was a more likeable and better written character than Chaya. Alina was more forward, helpful and had a (better?) backstory of the Brotherhood, while fans think that Chaya was more distant, intentionally deceptive, and her backstory with the Ancients didn't reveal much about her or them.
        -Fans are more accepting of Alina because Rodney didn't "get the girl" in the end (see her as harmless?)
        Spoiler:

I think these two are the most probable (at least in my mind). Alina was a complex character. She seemed to actually care for Rodney, even though her loyalty made her betray him. While Chaya didn't seem to have a personality other than "beautiful seductive girl". She also seemed to be just using John, which left a bitter taste with everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
          Here's something to chew on (spoilers from Sanctuary and Brotherhood):

Spoiler:
          Chaya from the ep Sanctuary has received quite a bit of wrath from both Sheppard/Weir and Sheppard/Teyla shippers (as well as other fans, obviously). However, Alina from the ep Brotherhood has not received any complaints, even from the McKay/Weir shippers. Both were one-ep romantic interests of Sheppard and Rodney, respectively. So, why no probs with Alina but such displeasure toward Chaya?

Some possibilities:
          -Rodney was more in character dealing with Alina than Sheppard was with Chaya. His fumblings were exactly how fans thought he would react, while Sheppard's sudden attraction to Chaya and his leaving the base abruptly at the end was seen as massively out of character.
          -Sanctuary was overall a more poorly written story than the Brotherhood, with fans thinking most of the Atlantis crew were out of character. Unpleasant thoughts of the ep spilled over to Chaya.
          -Fans are more interested in seeing Rodney have relationships than Sheppard (rooting for the geek?)

What do you guys think?

Ooo, interesting topic.
          Spoiler:

Personally I liked Allina, I wouldn't have been distraught if they had had something more and really the fact Chaya ended up with Shep didn't bother me. I can even ignore that Allina was being foolish on the backstabbing and taking ZPM matter because her motivations were good. Maybe it's also I can identify mroe with her.

As for Chaya. I don't hate her (despite my very harsh vid) but I didn't like her much either and border on disliking her. Mainly it's because she was hypocritical. Obviously the fact she would try to help her people is honourable and she got raw deal being stuck there but it was her punishment and rushing off to go to Atlantis leaving them defenseless seemed very OOC for how I expected for her or any Ancient who would care enough to break the rules before. Of course I felt Shep was OOC at least a bit in that episode and I know alot of people blame that on Chaya's 'powers' whether they believe it to be feminine whiles or something more alien. But then Sanctuary was supposedly written by a Star Trek writer.

Comment

Okay, thought people might like this link. Bastet on the yahoogroup posted it.
            BBC article on fanfiction and FF.net
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A632062

Thought it might help with the FAQ/glossary - I even saw a few new terms on it.
            Not to mention I was surprised by the gen/ship/slash definitions and a bit insulted on the section about fanfic smut.

I notice Alpha reading wasn't mentioned but then I'm not sure where that came from. I started using it a while ago but no clue where I read it first...

Oh and it reminds me we should MST SGA episodes...though that would need a chat of some form and people watching all at once - but McWeir MST comments could be funny and if chat was logged then easy to write up. Anyone up for it?
            Last edited by Purpleyin; 17 April 2005, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
              Oh and it reminds me we should MST SGA episodes...though that would need a chat of some form and people watching all at once - but McWeir MST comments could be funny and if chat was logged then easy to write up. Anyone up for it?
              I am, it would be fun.

Comment

Made more caps for Siege Part 1 and 2. Didn't even get through all of the episodes and I'm exhausted from making them, uploading them (and some previous part 1 caps) and posting them all over; disseminating cappy goodness across GW.

Albums are here - I'm only posting a choice few because I don't want to clog down the thread too much (and there aren't many shots with them both in anyway but there are ones with looks...)
                http://photobucket.com/albums/v230/m...rtexdv/SGA119/
                http://photobucket.com/albums/v230/missyvortexdv/120/

Standing so close.

Saved by Rodney.
                Last edited by Purpleyin; 17 April 2005, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Awww I love pics of them together. So cute!

Luce x

Comment

Hmm. Thread is slow today. Thougth we could have some more discussion, on fanfic.

How about the question of overused and underused plots for McKay/Weir (or SGa in general) stories.

Ghost stories are very rare so far in SGa fic - I think I put up a challenge for one, not sure if it's here too.
                    Obviously there are very few smut stories anyway (is everyone too embarassed to write any?) but I've not seen a 'do it or die' story. Well not yet. Surprising since it's the biggest smut cliche isn't it and its bound to happen sometime.

I think the most overused plot device so far for M/W stories has to be the future children travelling back in time, but then that's overused everywhere...

I found a sci-fi cliches list the other day too - wondering how many might end up on the show or if not, in a fic eventually. Can post the link if anyone wants.

Lacking plots - not seen many stories actualy dealing with Elizabeth/Simon directly (as in on Earth at some point in the future) yet, nor many with Elizabeth angst over Rodney.

There's also the fact that even overused and cliched plots can be done well and with a twist. What would you guys say is cliche? What stuff would you despise reading in terms of M/W fic? Can talk of personal preferences or othercourse nitpicks with fanfic, characterisation and plots. More discussion the merrier.

Mainly I'm interested to hear because a few of us writers have a devious story cooked up. *evil grin*

Comment

More thoughts on Alina (and some LFP and season 2 also),
                      Spoiler:
                      I agree with you both; I really didn't have a problem with Alina. I actually liked her character quite a bit and would actually like to see her next season (am currently bugging Joe about that one), especially for her interactions with Rodney. Come to think of it, I really don't have a problem with Rodney dating her or anyone else, at least short term, and I don't think it affects McKay/Weir at all. If anything, it could just lead to more ultimate rejection for Rodney (poor woobie!) or maybe him realizing that Elizabeth really is what he's looking for in terms of maturity, intelligence, and ability to...put up with him. Of course, we had better get used to Rodney dating others, since it looks like we're going to see it in Duet...

Also, I'm still chewing on the whole "Weir is too complicated for Rodney and he should stick with Kusinagi instead" argument (since it came up in another thread again ). Actually it would be cute to see Kusinagi again and see her crushing on Rodney, but I really don't think Rodney would date her because she's his subordinate. However, if he did decide to date her, I'm not so sure it would go beyond hero-worship; her saying "wow, you're great at everything" and him saying "why, yes I am." Eventually one of them would become bored. I see Elizabeth at more of his level because while she does respect him she certainly doesn't worship him. Their relationship would be one between equals, which I think has the better ability to stand the test of time.

Originally posted by purpleyin
                      Mainly I'm interested to hear because a few of us writers have a devious story cooked up. *evil grin*
                      Hmmm...interesting. A McKay/Weir writer conspiracy? Evil! Can't think of anything offhand, but I'll browse my files and get back to you.

Oh, and thanks for that fanfic link. Hopefully I can finalize the glossary and email it back over sometime this week, and then I can finish up the FAQ...

Comment

Hi All!

I'm new here at Gateworld and to Atlantis (I've seen about half the first season and catching up!) and hope you don't mind if I join in every now and again. I read all the info about atlantis and was surprised to see that Shep and Teyla are supposed to be the big romance-what? They have zero chemistry. While I was watching I noticed sparks between shep and weir and weir and mckay. Personally I am rooting for weir and mckay, hence posting on this thread!

As I watch more eps I hope that I am right and mckay and weir develop. I don't know if the PTB are aware of it, but how could they not be? And I feel a duty to make them aware!

PS...Can you guide me to some fanfic(mckay/weir) for a newbie? Thanks!
                        Last edited by Gate Trippin'; 26 October 2005, 01:03 AM.
                        Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
                        :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

Hi there! Welcome to GW and the thread and thanks for posting your support! Like you, I also have seen sparks for both McKay/Weir and Sheppard/Weir but I'm leaning heavily toward the former. They just seem to work so well together!

If you're looking for the current massive collection of McKay/Weir fanfic it can be found at:
                          http://www.fanfiction.net/c2/4686/0/1/

(Have fun reading that, I think we're up to almost 120 stories...) I also post a list of updated fanfiction on this thread every Friday. Hans and several others are currently working on a huge McKay/Weir website with photos, information, and the ultimate one-stop fanfiction archive. Should be quite the site when completed!

Also, there's a yahoo group for McKay/Weir with some nice discussions and pics over at:
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/weirmckayship/
                          so feel free to stop over and say hi there too!

Comment

Thanks so much for the fanfic links, toasteronfire! I plan to go check those out a a bit. Can't wait for the big unveiling of the Weir/Mckay site either!

From the size of this thread it looks like you guys have lots to talk about and I'm happy to be a part of it!

PS- I'm also from the midwest. Thanks goodness the bitter cold is over and spring has arrived!
                            Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
                            :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Trippin'
                              Hi All!

I'm new here at Gateworld and to Atlantis (I've seen about half the first season and catching up!) and hope you don't mind if I join in every now and again. I read all the info about atlantis and was surprised to see that Shep and Teyla are supposed to be the big romance-what? They have zero chemistry. While I was watching I noticed sparks between shep and weir and weir and mckay. Personally I am rooting for weir and mckay, hence posting on this thread!

As I watch more eps I hope that I am right and mackay and weir develop. I don't know if the PTB are aware of it, but how could they not be? And I fell a duty to make them aware!

PS...Can you guide me to some fanfic(mckay/weir) for a newbie? Thanks!
                              Welcome! You're voice and opinions are always welcome here, so don't be shy!

Comment

Hi
                                Kip posted this link over on the Teyla/Weir thread
                                If you look under photos > SGa they have McKay/Weir section
                                http://www.chevron26.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X