No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/Elizabeth Weir Discussion/Ship/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many great posts and so little time to respond to them all individually so I'll take the lazy way out and make a general post instead.

First, shipping for McKay/Weir makes as much sense as shipping for any other pairing, IMO. If you enjoy those two together more than any other possibility then you have every right to want to ship them, especially given the fact that there isn't a canon ship on the show.

I also agree with those who are concerned about how Shep is being written this season. At first, I found the Kirk references amusing... now, not so much. Having him come across as such a flirt and locking lips with so many women in such a short period of time does the character a great disservice, IMO. I can't think of who the target audience is for this kind of Shep because I can't see the shippers, the anti-shippers or the non-shippers embracing this characterization.

If this is the future of Shep, then it may be great news for McKay/Weir shippers because the more Shep is Kirkified (Yikes! I can't believe I typed that!) the less appealing he becomes as ship material, IMO. Although I'm not quite on the McKay/Weir ship board, they do have an appeal that I would like to see explored more.
    sigpic
    Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
      It can be put up on the mcweir.com hosting if you're interested...
      ooh! really?

Comment

Originally posted by HyperCaz
        ooh! really?
        Yep, have uploaded it here. So you can direct people to it there, though I should point out it saves bandwidth if people download it rather than watch it - so if you could tell people to do that if possible then that'd be good.

Also, I don't know if anyone here has read my new fic Tainted but I've just finished a draft for the second chapter with Rodney's point of view. Just need beta for it now...

Comment

thanks

I've been trying to throw together a christmas fic

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo
            First, shipping for McKay/Weir makes as much sense as shipping for any other pairing, IMO. If you enjoy those two together more than any other possibility then you have every right to want to ship them, especially given the fact that there isn't a canon ship on the show.
            Indeed. No ship is the "right" ship, and even if a ship becomes canon it doesn't mean that people have to stop shipping others. Canonizing Sam/Jack (and I'm still not sure if it really was canonized...) didn't stop Daniel/Jack or Daniel/Sam shippers.

There are numerous reasons for why the shippers here like McKay/Weir and all of them are valid. Same thing for all the other shippers and their ships. I don't see the point in "competing" against other ships because I've found a ship that I enjoy and found other shippers that feel the same. It's more productive to enjoy your ship rather than try and tear other ships down.

I also think shipping makes as much sense as not shipping at this point on Atlantis and I dislike how some shippers think nonshippers are crazy for not seeing their ship and how some nonshippers think shippers are crazy for seeing it. So far TPTB have put in scenes that can be interpretable as shippy or not. There is no canon ship, only whispers in the wind, and it's pointless to argue over which interpretation is the "correct" one.

If this is the future of Shep, then it may be great news for McKay/Weir shippers because the more Shep is Kirkified (Yikes! I can't believe I typed that!) the less appealing he becomes as ship material, IMO. Although I'm not quite on the McKay/Weir ship board, they do have an appeal that I would like to see explored more.
            I must admit, I have a hard time shipping Shep with anyone simply because he's been flirting with numerous different women throughout these two seasons. And while I think there's a possibility that TPTB are going to have Shep "settle down" with someone eventually, such a transition has the potential to be forced and awkward if they don't handle it just right.

I'm glad you see the appeal of those two - there are plenty of people here who really like their dynamic and are happier keeping things friendly rather than shippy. I certainly enjoy their scenes together, I just happen to also squeeze every drop of ship out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
              I must admit, I have a hard time shipping Shep with anyone simply because he's been flirting with numerous different women throughout these two seasons. And while I think there's a possibility that TPTB are going to have Shep "settle down" with someone eventually, such a transition has the potential to be forced and awkward if they don't handle it just right.

I'm glad you see the appeal of those two - there are plenty of people here who really like their dynamic and are happier keeping things friendly rather than shippy. I certainly enjoy their scenes together, I just happen to also squeeze every drop of ship out of them.
              Perhaps this is why Sheppard and slash works so well for people, not to imply all slashers would be happy with the kirk behaviour but it could be argued to be a front...

I think out of all the possibilities for Shep, I can accept Shep/McKay best, or maybe Shep/Carson. I can't really see Shep ship, apart from fleeting or him as fickle. I can see OT3 for McKay/Sheppard/Weir fairly easily despite his... wonderings?

Comment

Hey guys! new mcweir vid!

SHIVER by ellymelly

http://s15.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...M0B2D2LDCA5ABS

this is what happens when you -oh hold on, spoilers lol
                Spoiler:
                explore shweir, mcweirers retaliate with vids!

elly: "Look dude, talk to the host 'cause the goa'uld ain't listening!"

HELEN: "Do NOT walk blood through my house!"

NIKOLA: "How am I supposed to get to the infirmary then?"

HELEN: "I don't care if you sprout wings and flap there Nikola, as long as you don't wreck my good carpet."

Earth: "S**t happens" BSG: "Pencils break"

Comment

niiiice elly I like the song. that's from your mcweir mix isn't it?

I finished mine too

Comment

Really enjoyed both vids, especially the fast pace of Shiver - and ellymelly, I uploaded yours to the vids directory, hope that's okay.

Comment

wow! thank you no that's fine lol

HELEN: "I don't care if you sprout wings and flap there Nikola, as long as you don't wreck my good carpet."

Comment

just finished my multiship vid as it's not completely mcweir I won't post link here

Comment

just finished my multiship vid as it's not completely mcweir I won't post link here

No, no - the rule is if it has ANY McKay/Weir - whatever the type or however little - we need it here.

Don't deny the people vid!

Comment

caz i'll download yours shortly! lol have to wait for server to calm down

nice website Purpleyin! *explores*

Comment

hey elly! does the title of my mcweir vid on mcweir.com look familiar? It should

ahem, new vid! multiship. the ships are all ships I support: mcweir, sheyla, beckett/cadman and...*cough* well there's this thing called beckett/chair..

http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...80G6R24VTFNNOX

Comment

hey elly! does the title of my mcweir vid on mcweir.com look familiar? It should

ahem, new vid! multiship. the ships are all ships I support: mcweir, sheyla, beckett/cadman and...*cough* well there's this thing called beckett/chair..

http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...80G6R24VTFNNOX
                                Added that to the vids directory too.

Comment

Working...
                                X