John Sheppard/Teyla Emmagan Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, all...dropping in to say hi.

As I'm capping Rising...I come to this pic and find I want to change his line slightly...

Not that I mind the view, but how much farther is this place?

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Q O
      Hey, all...dropping in to say hi.

As I'm capping Rising...I come to this pic and find I want to change his line slightly...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87...gAQOcap65a.jpg

Not that I mind the view, but how much farther is this place?

Hey Admiral....

hehehe...luv your line...

R.I.P Wraithlord
      Spoiler:

Awesome sig by SciFan

Comment

Okay, she did this...so can I...

Oh, crap.

Maybe she didn't hear that.

Comment

Originally posted by WitchBlade007
          Hey Admiral....

hehehe...luv your line...
          Thanks...having a little fun with the boy this morning.

Comment

Teyla: Your people have a most interesting hiking technique.
            Shep: Yeah...years of training.

Comment

Keep your eyes on the flame, John...ignore how beautiful she is in this lighting...I'm in such big trouble.

Comment

Comment

^^^^^....I guess he couldn't resist any longer......Another 'flame' tempted him....

Ok should we get the plan rolling for the episodic discussion, siggies, and wallpapers? I think John and Teyla needs some luvin'

I feel inspired by Admiral's pics......

*heart*

R.I.P Wraithlord
                  Spoiler:

Awesome sig by SciFan

Comment

Originally posted by seldear
                    I should probably define what I mean by the term fandom:

To me, fandom is active involvement in social groups and communities by fans: writing fic, putting together photomanips, creating vids, discussing stuff.

Fandom is not people who watch the show but do not participate in the communities. Those are what I call casual viewers - people who watch and enjoy but leave their enjoyment there. Fans take that interest one step further and get involved.

There are many people who watch the show and see John/Teyla, but they are not in fandom - and if they are, they are not active in fandom.

It may just be a quirk of my perspective: the fact that I do not identify myself being in a fandom until I've started participating in discussion, writing fic, or posting on boards.

I have been in the following fandoms: X-Men (comic), Buffy, SG-1, Angel, Justice League (animated), Battlestar Galactica, and SGA.

And, I'll admit that in most of these I'm not active anymore - including SGA.

I have also watched the following shows but am not involved in the fandoms: Dr. Who, CSI, L&OVU, Desperate Housewives.

Among the people involved in the show and casual viewers, it seems J/T is a popular pairing.

However, among the fans, I don't think it is as popular purely based on activity. When it comes to the internet, activity is the only measurement you can really use as a ruler for popularity. Emails and LJs can be created, copied, doubled, sockpuppeted, but the output for 5 LJs run by a single person will still be a single person's output because that person only has 24x7 hours in a week, same as every other person who lived, lives, and will live.

For hard evidence, nothing beats the degree of activity: and while we might have huge lists of people, that's no proof at all. I know of a 3,000 strong list in SG1 fandom who grew from 700 people in a week because the mods wanted to claim they had the biggest list in the fandom, so they created fake email addresses and 'subbed' the addresses to the list. But the activity was still only about 30 people posting.

Numbers lie. Activity doesn't. QED.

And the activity or lack thereof of John/Teyla fans doesn't put it in the 'popular' category when compared to Shep/Weir - or didn't. Things are changing - I concede that. But I still think that there's a way to go before we have anything near the number of fansites, fanfic, and fanart represented.

The other perspective to keep in mind is that I don't have an issue with something I like 'not being popular'. As a friend of mine used to say: "Just because everyone's doing it doesn't make it right; it makes it common."

I mean absolutely no insult to anyone when I say all this. This is just my perspective of fandom and the question of popularity. I don't think John/Teyla is as popular among the fandom as other pairings, but while it can sometimes gall a bit, it's not necessarily a bad thing to be the underdog either: when you're the underdog, it means you have access to their belly - or their balls!

Sel.

Interesting (I always find the psychology of fandom interesting). I think that shippers will always see and not see what they see according to their point of view. It's no use asking a shipper, bless them, because of this. That's why it's never any use saying "How can such and such shippers not see the splendiferous chemistry between X/Y"? It's like asking somebody with red/green colour blindness to say that red isn't grey. It seems the majority of those who ship in Atlantis don't ship J/T. As you say that might change.

Casual viewers on the other hand, have no investment either way who ships whom, so they might pick up the obvious messages from the PTB, who have scripted obvious J/T scenes (although I would argue there haven't been that many of them but they have been there) and said that J/T was the canon ship. That's my take on it. A casual viewer would probably not particularly care one way or another, or would quite like it etc, etc, (I'm sure there's a whole range of casual viewer views and responses).

I mean absolutely no insult to anyone when I say all this. This is just my perspective of fandom and the question of popularity. I don't think John/Teyla is as popular among the fandom as other pairings, but while it can sometimes gall a bit, it's not necessarily a bad thing to be the underdog either: when you're the underdog, it means you have access to their belly - or their balls!

Forgive me, but I don't understand why J/T shippers should feel they are the underdog ship just because they might not be as popular. As far as I can see it's canon and I'd just get along with it and just play with it. You should try and be a McKay/Teyla shipper (I just find it quirky), I think there's about 3 of us and that's including the sock puppet! - J/K

Comment

^^^^^....I guess he couldn't resist any longer......Another 'flame' tempted him....

Ok should we get the plan rolling for the episodic discussion, siggies, and wallpapers? I think John and Teyla needs some luvin'

I feel inspired by Admiral's pics......

*heart*
                      I'm honored...please, feel free to use anything I post...that last one I think cries out for a banner of some sort, but I don't have the knowledge to do it justice.

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien
                        Most of the people I know are either non shippers or like John/Teyla but none of them post on the internet. They are definitely the only pairing that I see having a romantic spark.

There is generally not a lot of discussion going on in the shipper threads, except for this one. Usually pages and pages of really nothing being said at all. I like to see what attracts people to certain pairings but most of the time there seems to be very little explanation except they look cute together.

Maybe all the reasons have already been given but I can't be bothered to read through hundreds of pages.

Once the episodes start up again there will be a lot more parcipitation in the threads and I think that more and more people are enjoying the growing friendship between John and Teyla and are leaning towards becoming John/Telya shippers. Thats how I started.
                        I have to disagree. All shipper threads look the same to me!

Comment

VB, Suz.... hate me all you like for this...But plz oh plz...can we plz (noticed I said it three times-gotta work right?)...

Can we start this going about Shep and Teyla?....You know how i'd enjoy to lament until doomsday on the fandom workings i'm ever such a nutter (hehehe like my use of the word?)...that I'd really appreciate it...before i die from withdrawals.

Camy, dear did you have a plan of how'd like to see this go down?...

And just to be totally legal...

R.I.P Wraithlord
                          Spoiler:

Awesome sig by SciFan

Comment

To keep with the infirmary theme from Witchy's post:

Wall.
                            Spoiler:

Wall.
                            Spoiler:

I really like all the responses to the suspicion challenge, I tried to green all of you but for some of you the system wants me to spread the love first. Just pretend.

Comment

lol...it's like you read my mind Bella....

I love the quote for the mtg scene....hehehehe....He can't resist staring...it's an unbreakable habit....

R.I.P Wraithlord
                              Spoiler:

Awesome sig by SciFan

Comment

i'm ever such a nutter (hehehe like my use of the word?)
                                No! No nutters!

Sig by Camy

Comment

Working...
                                X