Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my answers.

Spoiler:
    + Do you have an ff.net account, and if so, what is its name? Yes. Ravenheart3

+ What type of SGA fics do you write? Gen, ship, slash, romance, angst, humour, whatever..?

I write mainly shippy (McWeir and McKeller) with action and adventure thrown in. I recently finished a non-shippy horror crossover with Silent Hill and I'm in the middle of the sequel.

+ Are you ok with me asking certain things about your fics before I read them ( like "Are there any psychiatric problems, self-harm, death wishes, etc in this specific fic?" )?

Sure. Better to know what your getting into before you're hit with a nasty surprise. I've been tricked into reading something because there wasn't enough information and ended up not finishing a story because of it.

+ What kind of feedback do you like to get and/or give?

Constructive

- Is "I read your fic and I liked it" something you think is "enough"?

It's enough for me.

- Or do you think that a review should contain analysis and/or constructive criticism to "count", or the reviewer might as well not write anything at all?

I'm not really picky about what kind of review you give as long as you give one and it's not a flame.

- Do you consider any negative comments, no matter how respectful or constructive, "flaming"?

If it's constructive as in telling you how to make it better, then no.

- Do you consider comments on grammar and/or spelling/typos rude?

There is a point when it becomes nitpicking. I once asked such a reviewer if they wanted to beta-read for me. Didn't hear back from them.

- Do you interpret lack of reviews as criticism?

No. I don't give reviews cause I can't think of anything better than "I liked it." I figure some people are the same way.

Mainly, how do I avoid insulting people with my reviews or lack thereof?

Think about what you liked about the story and tell the writer. If you found something that they can fix to make it better, let them know. Also keep in mind that, like us writers, you can't please everyone.

+ Is there any benefit, to you ( as a writer whose fics I might read ) or to me, if I sign up for ff.net, even if I never write any fics myself? Signed reviews? Communities? Other?

I don't really see any, if you're not going to post stories or join the communities.

+ Do you know of any writers of good non-shippy, non-psychiatric ( or carefully labelled so I can avoid it ) gen Rodney-centric fic, who aren't active in this thread?

Nope.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenheart View Post
      Here's my answers.
      Spoiler:
      I recently finished a non-shippy horror crossover with Silent Hill and I'm in the middle of the sequel.
      I've been curious about this story for a while. Could I understand/enjoy it even though I've only seen the movie ( Bean ex-obsessive ) and never played the games?

There is a point when it becomes nitpicking. I once asked such a reviewer if they wanted to beta-read for me. Didn't hear back from them.
      This reasoning I don't really understand. If I were a writer, I'd be grateful for every typo somebody pointed out, since I'm more than a bit of a perfectionist. I nitpick my own stuff to the best of my abilities, and if mistakes have slipped through in spite of that, I'm grateful to have them pointed out to me. If they pointed them out in a rude way, using my typos to belittle me or invalidate my story somehow, I'd find it offensive though. Also, there's a difference between being able to point out typos or even grammatical mistakes, and being able to be a beta, with all the plot/logic/character stuff true beta-ing includes. I could possibly do the former ( in spite of being a non-native speaker of English ) but never the latter.

Think about what you liked about the story and tell the writer. If you found something that they can fix to make it better, let them know. Also keep in mind that, like us writers, you can't please everyone.
      Yeah, I guess there's always the risk that no matter how well I mean, somebody's not going to like it. I just don't want to make any more enemies or get entangled in fandom drama, I just... want to enjoy and share what I enjoy.

And, I figured, why not answer my own questions too? Just because I'm not a writer, it doesn't mean that I don't have thoughts on this subject!

Spoiler:
      + Do you have an ff.net account, and if so, what is its name?

Nope, obviously!

+ What type of SGA fics do you write? Gen, ship, slash, romance, angst, humour, whatever..?

If I wrote, I'd write gen, whump, mild angst, some adventure, episode tags, a little humour, probably quite a bit AU because I find AUs fascinating. Mainly looking at the characters ( especially Rodney ) and their non-romantic relationships, and how they're affected by their adventures and their pasts. I might slip into slash since I used to be a slasher in an earlier fandom, however I seem to have lost interest now.

+ Are you ok with me asking certain things about your fics before I read them ( like "Are there any psychiatric problems, self-harm, death wishes, etc in this specific fic?" )?

Since I myself have severe problems with certain themes, I'd be fully prepared to enter into quite detailed explanations as to what my fics contained if I wrote any. Angst can easily slip into psychiatric problems, friendship can easily slip into "pre-slash", etc. Every reader has his/her own preferences and draws her/his own lines, and I will honour them to the best of my ability, if the person in question makes their problems clear to me. I will label and explain, but that doesn't mean I'll let anybody else dictate what I write, I'll only help them to steer clear of the things they don't like.

Yes. And if I had an ff.net account, it wouldn't matter if I got the review/comment/thumbs-up smiley/whatever there, on Gateworld, on LiveJournal, or via snail mail or smoke signals. The important thing is that somebody let me know something I created and shared gave them something positive.

- Or do you think that a review should contain analysis and/or constructive criticism to "count", or the reviewer might as well not write anything at all?

No, everything counts as long as it's helpful in some way. "I liked your fic" is helpful because it tells me somebody got something positive from something I did.

- Do you consider any negative comments, no matter how respectful or constructive, "flaming"?

No. What matters to me is respect for the other person's feelings, a willingness to explain and to listen, that whole communication thing is very important to me. If you say something negative about something I've written and aren't willing to continue discussing it with me, you might as well be "flaming". My guiding principle is that any review should be a help to the writer in some way. If you intend for something negative you wrote to be helpful, show it.

Not at all, if they're just pointed out as friendly corrections. I'm a perfectionist, as well as not a native speaker of English, so any language help will be appreciated, as long as the person in question doesn't use it to belittle me or somehow invalidate what I've written.

No, I only figure the person in question who read and didn't review either was too busy or too tired to review, or felt, like me, very awkward and second-guessing themselves about what to write so as to be constructive and not to offend. Or rather, that's my intellectual approach to the matter, anyway. But I suffer from a non-existent self-confidence, so I'd probably end up doubting myself anyway. I'd never whine or "hold my fic hostage" for reviews, but I might stop posting my fics if I got no indications that somebody liked it.

Comment

my answers
        Spoiler:
        Yes. My name is Miss Pookamonga.
        Whatever, but no slash. I mostly write general, friendship, romance, humor, or angst. Angst is kind of my autopilot mode. If I get hit with writer's block, the first thing my mind will automatically come up with after that spell is something angsty. I have no idea why I'm not a particularly disturbed person.
        No problem with that
        I don't really care. Positive feedback is always appreciated, whether it's just one line or whether it's a review that's more analytic.
        Respectful, concrit comments are fine. However, if they do nothing but bash the fic then I consider that flaming. As for lack of reviews, I don't really see it as criticism. More like people either haven't seen that the fic exists or weren't interested in it.
        When you do review, just be polite. If I don't like a fic, I usually don't review it because I don't have anything to say other than "I don't like this" and that's kind of pointless for the writer to read. If it's constructive criticism, that's another story. A lot of writers appreciate that kind of thing, just, again, be polite and make it clear that you're not trying to say bad things about the story arbitrarily.
        + Is there any benefit, to you ( as a writer whose fics I might read ) or to me, if I sign up for ff.net, even if I never write any fics myself? Signed reviews? Communities? Other?
        Sometimes I like to reply to reviews, but if a reviewer doesn't have an account, a writer can't send a reply. So an account would be useful for that. Other than that, it couldn't hurt to have one, just in case you randomly decide to write something at some point in the future. Also, there's discussion forums on there and communities where you can find more fans and fic recs, etc. And if you particularly like certain fics and/or authors, you can put them on your favorites and/or alert list so you can keep track of them
        + Do you know of any writers of good non-shippy, non-psychiatric ( or carefully labelled so I can avoid it ) gen Rodney-centric fic, who aren't active in this thread?
        Ummmm...I'd have to go and check through my faves first
        "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
        sigpic
        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
          my answers
          Spoiler:

When you do review, just be polite. If I don't like a fic, I usually don't review it because I don't have anything to say other than "I don't like this" and that's kind of pointless for the writer to read. If it's constructive criticism, that's another story. A lot of writers appreciate that kind of thing, just, again, be polite and make it clear that you're not trying to say bad things about the story arbitrarily.
          Just common courtesy, really. I think I can do this, but then again there are people ( definitely including me! ) who are very sensitive so... there's always a risk I guess.

Sometimes I like to reply to reviews, but if a reviewer doesn't have an account, a writer can't send a reply. So an account would be useful for that. Other than that, it couldn't hurt to have one, just in case you randomly decide to write something at some point in the future. Also, there's discussion forums on there and communities where you can find more fans and fic recs, etc. And if you particularly like certain fics and/or authors, you can put them on your favorites and/or alert list so you can keep track of them
          Yes, I remember hearing about those things. I guess if I'm planning to be a regular reader and reviewer, it's better and easier if I get an account. Ironically, the person signing up with the user name "Tinah" hasn't written any fics... Maybe she's just been commenting too?

Comment

Okie dokie! Here are my answers, Tinah.

Spoiler:

Yes, I do. I don't quite remember the name...>.>... I changed it from what I last remember...I can PM you my account name later, after I get home. School has FF.net blocked...

I stick to romance, humor, general when I write, but it's rare that I do (I normally work on an original work). I haven't entered the land of Slash yet, though...

Not a problem. Most of my fics are just me goofing around, putting the characters in funny situations, anyways. I'm not much of a whumper. I can't bring myself to hurt them.

As long as it's not a flame, I don't care.

If that is all you have to say, then who am I to say that it's not enough? I understand that sometimes you like something because you like it. You don't always have a reason.

I would only want such a thing from someone I *know* is thorough. But, since I don't know that many authors on FF, I don't expect it. The only people I would expect such a thing from don't really read anymore. They mainly write.

Nope. But, understand, I know the difference between respectful/constructive/thought-out reviews and flames. I once got a review from someone who only yelled at me because I used medical care as a plot device. In the chapter she read, I made it look like Canada had a *terrible* medical care system. It didn't matter to her that, in later chapters (that I had already wrote AND posted), I revealed that the main character was only experiencing that because the hospital dean was corrupt. She was insulted by the fact that I would dare do that and stated that my story was crap, should be removed from the site, and that she wasn't even going to bother with reading the rest of the chapters. *True* constructive reviews, even the negative ones, would have covered all the submitted chapters up to that point, and might even directly ask me why I included such a thing.

No. But, again, I know the difference between comments and flames. If someone sees a grammar mistake, I'd gladly fix it. If there's a typo, I'll change that too if it's not deliberate. I've never actually gotten any reviews like that before, but I'd welcome them.

Not really, no. To me, lack of reviews is a lack of a large reaction on the reader's part. Not everyone is going to submit a review for every single reaction they have to a story, and I'd rather get the reviews that show that my story made the reader *want* to tell me their reaction instead of getting the reviews that are done just for the sake of giving a review.

Again, a lack of a review can mean several things. But if your reaction to the story is different than how you would react to the average fanfiction story, then I suggest you do one. If someone has written something that kinda disturbs you, ask them why they added it. And don't be afraid to ask them about future chapters, if you think it pertains to the answer. Sometimes, an author might be willing to explain a plot device to you if you are having trouble understanding where they are going with it and their reasoning for going that way.

There would be no benefit on my part, per se, other than I wouldn't have to worry about getting your reviews. I have anonymous reviews blocked (if you are logged in when you do a review, it's not anonymous. It's automatically signed). For you, though, it would be *extremely* beneficial. Even if you don't write any stories, you would be able to keep track of your favorite stories, authors, and can receive alerts from FF.net about story updates or new stories from authors if you add either to your alert lists.

Sorry, but no. I don't read just the regular, 'General', stories all that often. There is almost always a shipping involved somewhere in there, even if Rodney isn't involved in said ship.
            Last edited by BFH_Bushy_Tush; 02 June 2010, 11:47 AM.
            ~Bushy~

"Look, you don't know me. This is when I'm at my best. This is when I shine: impossible deadlines."
            Dr. Meredith Rodney McKay
            -
            "That doesn’t matter! You’re hostages! We’re your…we’re your captors! We’re heavily armed! There’s rules! There’s a whole school of etiquette to this!"
            Dr. Daniel Jackson
            -
            "My name is Dean Winchester. I'm an Aquarius. I enjoy sunsets, long walks on the beach, and frisky women."
            Dean Winchester

Comment

Originally posted by Tinah View Post
              I don't have much to say right now. And you know what happens when I don't have anything to say, don't you? RANDOM RODNEY PIC!!!
              Oh, I agree

Spoiler:

Originally posted by Ragitsu View Post
              http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/020/3/4/3422ae18021dfcceacf1bb49da19397c.jpg
              That is a scary scary manip. I don't like it (see the hands - it's not him!)
              Some ff.net, feedback and writing questions:

Just for possible future reference, if you'd like to answer. I was thinking about posting this in the Fanfic forum, but then I realized I don't really need to know what people think if they don't write Rodney-centric, because that's the fics I mainly want to read anyway. The questions are mainly for writers, but some are for readers too.
              I love questionnaires! *rubs hands together*

Spoiler:
              x varda x

Hurt/comfort/angst, ship (smut), gen, horror, humour, action, adventure... anything but slash and fluff

No problemo!

- Is "I read your fic and I liked it" something you think is "enough"? Yes
              - Or do you think that a review should contain analysis and/or constructive criticism to "count", or the reviewer might as well not write anything at all? Long reviews scare me! Because my replies and my own reviews are always really short! Nice to know they read it and sometimes they put what I'm trying to get across in better phrasing than I managed
              - Do you consider any negative comments, no matter how respectful or constructive, "flaming"? Yes
              - Do you consider comments on grammar and/or spelling/typos rude? Yes! If there's something wrong with a fic I read, I either don't comment or send the author a PM. OMG I'm only human and do typos all the time that I miss (even in three read throughs). I've had a couple of reviewers actively point out that spelling was *wrong* because I use UK spelling and not US
              - Do you interpret lack of reviews as criticism? Yes. I'm highly strung and sensitive. Mainly because I don't leave a review if I don't like something

Mainly, how do I avoid insulting people with my reviews or lack thereof? I wouldn't worry about it! I write because I enjoy it, reviews are nice, but shouldn't be the only reason to write. I read tonnes of stuff and don't leave a review

Uhm, I don't think you need to. Most peeps on FF Net should know to activate anon reviews. Unless you really want replies of course

I know loads! I have to sleep now, but I'll write you a list of the ones I know. I might need prodding to be reminded though as I'm horrifically busy ATM (buying my first property! )
              Last edited by x Varda x; 02 June 2010, 04:04 PM.
              McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

Just crop the image before you see the hand.

McKay...Rodney McKay.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
                  It's high time I posted a Rodney pic...
                  http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/x...estongue-3.jpg
                  Ooh look! Tongue peekage!
                  Tongue!!
                  Thanks for the pic!!

Good manip!

Some ff.net, feedback and writing questions:
                  I'm not a writer, but I love to read fics on ffn! Here's my repsonse so some of the questions.

Spoiler:
                  I do have an account.

+ What kind of feedback do you give?
                  I only leave positive feedback.

+- Is "I read your fic and I liked it" something you think is "enough"?
                  I read alot of authors on LJ state that that comment is great and they don't have a problem with a reader leaving it, it's nice to see any positive comment. I have left that kind of short feedback before and received a thank you from the author. If I 'know' the author, my feedbacks tend to be on the long side!

+ Do you consider any negative comments, no matter how respectful or constructive, "flaming"?
                  I have never a negative comment as a feedback, I have however, sent a private message to the author about formating issues, like the paragraphs run on or a lot of misspellings, those kind of issues, but the public feedback is always positive, at the very least saying I enjoyed the story.

I am not an author, but I created an account on FFN so that I can favorite stories or authors.
                  To be able to send a message to authors (and they can send me messages as well).
                  For alerts to new stories by authors I like and for new chapters added to stories I am reading.
                  Signing up was a great idea that Varda, RiG, and Jper convinced me to do!

+ Do you know of any writers of good non-shippy, non-psychiatric (or carefully labelled so I can avoid it) gen Rodney-centric fic, who aren't active in this thread?
                  The non-shippy ones are from early on, a few names:
                  nebbyJen (great stories, but no longer active), Tipper (every once in a while will write a new story), NotTasha (every once in a while), Leesa Perrie (still writes stories)

Oooh....nice pics!

Originally posted by Ragitsu View Post
                  Just crop the image before you see the hand.
                  McKay...Rodney McKay.
                  Yep, that's what I did!

sig by Varda

Comment

Here's mine...
                    ...better late than never, right?
                    Spoiler:
                    I have two: RodneyisGodney is my main account. McKay's Girls is my other account...for all the whumpfic gathering...I think.

I've written few, as you know. Humor, romance/shippyness and gen. And team.

I'm A-ok with this.

I like to get positive feedback of course. But I tend to get very corrective and eager with my reviews when I'm R&Ring a fic...at night. Dunno why. I feel the need to point out all the writer's mistakes, but in a positive way. Specially if they make glaringly obvious mistakes, like, saying that Rodney's eyes are green or...describing him as "fat". I just have to defend him. It burns me up when someone who claims to be a fan get's the most obvious facts wrong.

Yep.

No, not at all. Like my dear Varda I would be scared if I received a long review. I'm happy with short-and-sweet reviews. If all someone writes is "That was great!" Then I'm thrilled.

Um...no, I guess.

Not when they're done right. Or when the author asks us to let him/her know of any (of those types) of mistakes.

Nah. Some folks just don't like to leave reviews...or maybe they just don't have anything to say...or they don't know what to say. Or they plain forget.

Make sure that no matter what you say to always end your review/comments on a positive note.

Well, you can leave signed reviews and get replies via email. I've always liked that.

I think Varda's got this one covered.

Originally posted by x Varda x View Post
                    Oh, I agree
                    Me too, hey Varda!

Random Rodney is a yummy Rodney.

Yes, I agree. Me not like.

And congratz on buying your first property!

Originally posted by ed263 View Post
                    Tongue!!
                    Thanks for the pic!!
                    Anytime.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by ME.

Comment

A couple of pictures of David at the Slice premiere in LA last night.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
                        Here's mine...
                        ...better late than never, right?
                        Yes indeed!

Anytime.

Originally posted by Kliggins View Post
                        A couple of pictures of David at the Slice premiere in LA last night.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...une2-slice.jpg
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ne2-slice2.jpg
                        Wow!! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us!!
                        Did you buy the pics from AP to get the writing off of them?
                        Gosh, now I wonder if I can post the ones I copied from them?

I saw Watcher652 Tweet on the premiere.
                        watcher652 @dhewlett You look nice in your stupid suit! And Jane is lovely, too. http://bit.ly/aYz4l4

sig by Varda

Comment

I found some sites with photos of David at the U.S. premiere of Splice at Hollywood's Grauman's Chinese Theater on June 2, 2010. Jane's in a couple of the photos. Director/writer Vincenzo Natali pretends to chokes David in a couple shots and David reacts appropriately.

Click here for the list.

A premiere photo.
                          Spoiler:

My kind of guy:
                          "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                          Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                          (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

There are more pictures
                            http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/jl3QR.../David+Hewlett

Comment

Thanks for replying to my questions, everybody! I can't really comment on it all individually, because then my post would end up an essay, but I've collected the information and will keep it in mind. Common courtesy, keeping things constructive and always write something positive seems to be a good start. I didn't know about the PM function ( yet another reason for me to actually sign up ) and I agree that some things should be said there and not in a review. I think from the reactions in general that I'm going to skip the typo nitpicking and keep my reviews short. As you might have noticed by now, I have a tendency to "talk" too much in writing: babble, analyse, nitpick, whatever. The "writer" in me wants to come out in any way it can, I guess...

Oooh, nice premiere pics! Love that lopsided grin! But... Sideburns! Argh! *waves her ladyshave in David's general direction, then spots Jane and quickly shoves it into her pocket* What?! Nooo... whatever made you think I was going to shave your husband to fit my fangirlish preferences? *big innocent eyes* Not a fan of sideburns... ( And it seems the "roleplayer" wants out too! )

Comment

Premiere pics...gahh...*faints*
                                "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X