Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blueeyes
    Treed Murray is a must if you like edgy and different. Canadian movie, made for TMN, but somehow terribly good despite that.

Nothing is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

Cube is a fascinating film with some gross moments.

Both Nothing and Cube were directed by Vincenzo Natali, a longtime friend of DH and a man with a finely honed sense of the absurd. I recommend them very highly, and not just for the thunkage, although that is great too.

Hope that helps get you started.
    Yay! Thanks - those sounded interesting when I was checking out IMDB. What about Century Hotel? That also sounded kind of different.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I was scrolling through and reading things......and all of SUDDEN it hit me...there wasn't a Picture of David....for the last 10 posts....

so to rectify that
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Treed Murray is a must if you like edgy and different. Canadian movie, made for TMN, but somehow terribly good despite that.
        No kidding! I watched it yesterday and was very surprised by the plot twists and the like. Very good and I most heartily second that rec.

I thought Century Hotel was also pretty good. You take, I think it's 5 (maybe 6) different stories, related only by the fact they take place in the same hotel room in different eras, cut them up, shuffle them together and there's your movie. There was only one story I wasn't overly fond of, but I loved the rest of it.
        Last edited by strivaria; 07 March 2005, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Okay - thanks everyone. I'll start with all those. It's going to be a David Hewlett film fest.

Looking forward to seeing him out of McKay mode.
          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
            I wish that could happen to me.

I infact had an odd idea of studying SG online fandom for sociology project (then maybe time here would be justified somehow) but no one semed to, including the lecturer, had even heard of the show... he thought I meant Star Trek! and I got such weird looks!

Though the idea wasn't bad I went with another - that's the essay I have to start next week too (3000 words in one week, eugh, so little time to watch those films amongst that!)

What could we wear...what's oh so McKay like - apart from maybe a Zed.p.m charm/keyring...

Oh and where can you buy the pendants from? I'd like a Pegasus galaxy symbol one - no clue what it looks like (probably need a cap of Daniel scribbling on that whiteboard from Rising) but just so Atlantis fans could identify each other!
            Hey that sounds like a cool idea for an essay...maybe you can still do that one day

My SG pendant was given to me by Jafana for Xmas this year. She got it on Ebay. There is a person (presumably fan) in the U.K. who has experience making jewellery and hand makes each pendant when you order.

From memory, I think we asked about an Atlantis pendant, but I think it is too difficult to make with the basic tools. The SG poo just lends itself really well to becoming a pendant I guess.

Hmm I should get a photo and show you guys...

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
              Hmm I should get a photo and show you guys...
              Yes, please do, love to see it - maybe then I can guess how she makes them (since I make jewellery too it's not to unlikely I could try the Pegasus one if I'm determined to have one.)

Comment

Nothing is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

Cube is a fascinating film with some gross moments.

Both Nothing and Cube were directed by Vincenzo Natali, a longtime friend of DH and a man with a finely honed sense of the absurd. I recommend them very highly, and not just for the thunkage, although that is great too.
                Hope that helps get you started.
                Oh and depending how much David you want there's also Cypher (also directed by Natali and David is in it fo 10 minutes in a great role) which is IMO an excellent film anyway, nice technological spy stuff with sort of philosophical moments to it, starts of slow but gets very tense.

Of course there's also "Where the heart is" - such a sweet film for the young blond David and he's in it lots too- I can't recommend it enough.

Comment

I'll be watching Treed Murray on Thursday and just got Cypher today. Haven't got Foolproof yet though.

I know what you mean about the pain of waiting! Treed Murray has been taunting me for over a week now.

You know (not to rub it in lol) the *weirdest* thing happened to me at uni yesterday.

I'm in my film & tv class and we're off in our groups using the cameras, when one of the girls in my group notices my necklace (I have a silver necklace with the earth POO symbol as a pendant). She goes 'is that what I think it is??' and I go "yup. do you watch too?' and she went 'YES!'.

Was so bizarre because not only is she a major sg1 fan, but she's one of the few Australians who have seen all of Atlantis too!

And she's a huge DH fan, and also a McShepper. AND she has a bunch of friends who are also all McSheppers/DH fans and they all get together once a week to watch stuff.

Yeah, not to rub it IN... not at all... even a LITTLE bit...

Seriously I'd love something like that to happen to me, but really NOBODY I know is into sci fi to any great degree. I so must be keeping the wrong company...

That's why this thread is so great!!!

The jewellery idea sounds good, though the Pegasus symbol would be a bit complicated maybe? Dunno, I've never done any jewellery making. I wouldn't mind even wearing something that just reads 'ATLANTIS', it might start SOME conversation.

Hey, maybe we should each persuade our workplace/uni etc to hold a 'Stargate' day and raise funds for a local good cause by celebrating all things stargate, role-playing, dressing up, whatever. If we were REALLY persuasive maybe we could suspend all work related activity for a day and just watch McKay...er, I mean Atlantis...er anything Stargate related...Hey, a girl can dream can't she...
                  *wanders off in dream-like state...*
                  McKay, "I'm not sure I can fix this."
                  Grodin, "You can fix anything."
                  McKay, "Who told you that?"
                  Grodin, "You did. Several times."

Comment

Originally posted by lucylou
                    I totally agree with that statement about McKay. It's so very true. There's a lot of insecurity underneath that overconfident and egotistical facade. I think thats one of the things that makes Rodney so interesting to watch and is something that gives David some awesome material to work with.

Lucy

So very right. I was thinking that when I watched his expression in the Seige pt1, right at the start when
                    Spoiler:
                    he's giving that presentation about them getting the Ancient satellite on line, and Weir says something like "no undue pressure but that satellite's the only thing standing between Atlantis and the Wraith". I was thinking how you could see the pressure and doubt and worry, and then the next instant the Major echoes "no undue pressure" and I just loved the way Rodney's expression changed just a little, back to that slightly defiant arrogance...
                    , he just does that so well, little glimpses of the insecurity but covered up almost before you can be sure you've seen anything...

Have I mentioned before that I think McKay is wonderful... lol
                    McKay, "I'm not sure I can fix this."
                    Grodin, "You can fix anything."
                    McKay, "Who told you that?"
                    Grodin, "You did. Several times."

Comment

Its funny isn't it. There seem to be some fans who just take McKay at face value and for that reason don't like him and find him really egotistical and annoying while there are others who are able to see that there is a lot more to McKay than first meets the eye. I personally didn't really like him much in SG1 thought he looked so adorable in Redemption but since appearing in Atlantis he has quickly bcome one of my favourite characters. Probably my favourite one on the show actually.

I like the kind of insecure, tortured, conflicted characters because I can totally relate to them and for me its always been easy to see that there is a lot more going on underneath the overconfident exterior of Rodney, probably because I share a lot of those qualities myself.

I guess for some the sarcasm and ego are just facets of the character which put them off looking for any other qualities in him but I love all of the complexities that McKay has and watching him in episodes where we see a glimpse of the man thats underneath. For me its always interesting to see how he's affected by the things that happen and the people around him because then you can see what things he's most affected by and the things he will soften his personality for. The character growth we're getting is totally amazing. It's just great and I look forward to seeing more of what David can do in Season 2. Here's to his already large fanbase getting even bigger

Lucy

Comment

Ok here it is, my SG pendant.

Would be so cool if somebody could figure out how to make an Atlantis one.

I want one of those too!

Oh and hoop earings int he shape of the gate
                        Last edited by SaharaGate; 22 September 2006, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassiopeia
                          Yeah, not to rub it IN... not at all... even a LITTLE bit...

Seriously I'd love something like that to happen to me, but really NOBODY I know is into sci fi to any great degree. I so must be keeping the wrong company...

That's why this thread is so great!!!
                          Lol... sorry! but i just had to share coz it was just wo weird...

and see, you can meet sg people in the most unexpected ways.

The jewellery idea sounds good, though the Pegasus symbol would be a bit complicated maybe? Dunno, I've never done any jewellery making. I wouldn't mind even wearing something that just reads 'ATLANTIS', it might start SOME conversation.
                          Hmm yeah good idea. Although Atlantis is pretty well known so people might not get the reference.

But then most people think my pendant is just a pretty necklace

Hey, maybe we should each persuade our workplace/uni etc to hold a 'Stargate' day and raise funds for a local good cause by celebrating all things stargate, role-playing, dressing up, whatever. If we were REALLY persuasive maybe we could suspend all work related activity for a day and just watch McKay...er, I mean Atlantis...er anything Stargate related...Hey, a girl can dream can't she...
                          *wanders off in dream-like state...*
                          Hehe sounds like a good cause for a holiday to me

Comment

From memory, I think we asked about an Atlantis pendant, but I think it is too difficult to make with the basic tools.
                            I had no idea what the Atlantis symbol looked like (yeah, I know... bad fan) so finally tracked it down here

http://www.chevron26.com/atlantis/eplanets.html

I might have to give this a shot... among my myriad geeky interests is silversmithing. I see this being a triangular silver "blank" (the DHD button) and either the symbol soldered onto it or have it cutout (which would probably be easier).

Now to find time to try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by strivaria
                              I had no idea what the Atlantis symbol looked like (yeah, I know... bad fan) so finally tracked it down here

http://www.chevron26.com/atlantis/eplanets.html

I might have to give this a shot... among my myriad geeky interests is silversmithing. I see this being a triangular silver "blank" (the DHD button) and either the symbol soldered onto it or have it cutout (which would probably be easier).

Now to find time to try it out.
                              I'm thinking a cut-out would be a good way to go.

Or you know, even just a square or rectangual silver pendant with the entire address etched into it...

That would be cool!

Comment

I'm thinking a cut-out would be a good way to go.

Or you know, even just a square or rectangual silver pendant with the entire address etched into it...

That would be cool!
                                Reminds me of some necklaces in catalogs I've seen where you can get your name done in heiroglyphics. It's a rectangle w/ the letters on top of each other lengthwise.
                                "You are a distraction who is permanently distracted."~ Ohhhhh...sparkly...
                                "Well, we came, we saw, we got spanked."-Harper (Andromeda)
                                Don't shake that. It's liable to blow up.~L.
                                Ewww! What's that mess on the floor? I think my sanity just broke.
                                "My ovaries are exploding with maternal instinct..." Partylikeits1984 on DH's character on Traders
                                Even if the voices in my head aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas.
                                Very smart people intimidate me. And turn me on. Do you see my problem in the dating game?~Aurore
                                (Same boat. Small World. ~ r-h)

Comment

Working...
                                X