No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so in the last few weeks I've finally managed to watch a whole bunch of DH movies.

So can i just say HOT DANG that man is an amazing actor!

Loved him in Nothing...I laughed so much but was also kinda on edge the whole time coz you couldn't tell where this was going, where the two men were going to take this. Plus David is REALLY cute in this!

I love his freak-out scene. He does freak-out so well!

I was a little dissappointed though that I couldn't seem to find the commentary on my disk?? I swear it said on the cover that there was a commentary...

Hmmm.

Also saw Century Hotel...that was just an all round great movie and David's small part made it that much more enjoyable. The whole movie was full of nuances and meaning, as was David's portrayal. Very beautifully done. And again, he looked hot!

Saw Cube too...and (as if you can't guess)...I loved it . David's character Worth was very much in the background at first, but that made him all the more intriguing.

In fact, I loved this movie so much it inspired me to write a fic

And next week , I get my hands on Treed Murray...sooooooooo can't wait! (squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!).

I can't think of anything I'd like to watch more than David stuck up a tree for an hour and a half.

Comment

I'm still waiting for my DVD of Nothing to arrive and I really badly want to see it now. I ordered it from Amazon and it said it'd take 6-8 weeks to arrive and I am so not the most patient person in the world lol. Its been 5 weeks since I ordered it so far.

I love my Cube DVD. I love Davids character in it. Another reluctantly heroic computer geek who we get to see in boxers yet again hehe but Nothing looks so amazing and I've heard how funny it is. Plus David looks so cute in the screencaps. Vincenzo Natalis movies are really great and the concept of this one sounds really cool as there's nothing to distract the viewer from the actors performances and as we all know David is a performer with so many subtleties and so much talent that I bet he pulls it off really well.

Well can't really think of anything mre intelligent to say except for I finally saw the Siege part 1 which gave us another absolutely wonderful performance from David. Can't wait to see the second part next week!

Hope everyones okay!

Lucy x

Comment

Lucylou and SaharaGate I think you've both been so enthusiastic about some of David Hewlett's other films that I might just be ordering them! 'Nothing' certainly sounds intriguing.

Woohoo from me too re all the 'Happy McKay' caps Watcher652, doesn't happen often but always lovely to see him smile. He's capable of so many expressions that all captivate I tend to not notice the lack of smiles until he suddenly does. If that makes any sense? It IS Friday afternoon at work here so brain's now a bit scrambled.

Hi Smallgirl. I'm newish to this thread (and site actually) too. Re-watched the Seige last night and it still pulled all the same emotional wires even knowing what was happening.

BTW, what are these reputation point things? I've noticed some on my control panel thingy but don't recall seeing anything about them? Have I missed something...as usual...?
        McKay, "I'm not sure I can fix this."
        Grodin, "You can fix anything."
        McKay, "Who told you that?"
        Grodin, "You did. Several times."

Comment

Originally posted by Cassiopeia
          Lucylou and SaharaGate I think you've both been so enthusiastic about some of David Hewlett's other films that I might just be ordering them! 'Nothing' certainly sounds intriguing.

Woohoo from me too re all the 'Happy McKay' caps Watcher652, doesn't happen often but always lovely to see him smile. He's capable of so many expressions that all captivate I tend to not notice the lack of smiles until he suddenly does. If that makes any sense? It IS Friday afternoon at work here so brain's now a bit scrambled.

Hi Smallgirl. I'm newish to this thread (and site actually) too. Re-watched the Seige last night and it still pulled all the same emotional wires even knowing what was happening.

BTW, what are these reputation point things? I've noticed some on my control panel thingy but don't recall seeing anything about them? Have I missed something...as usual...?
          Rep points - you give and receive - to give or take them you click on the scales at top right hand side of the post made and then a little popup comes up and you click on 'I approve' or 'I dissaprove' and give a reason if you like. Points given either ay are anonymous unless you choose to reveal your name in the comment.

The more points some one has the more those they give count - and you also can't take/give to same person more than once until you've spread the love out to others, to stop people abusing the system. You can also see if anyone has given your own posts points by clicking on scale of them.

The points you have add up by posts as litlte green blocks of jello
          Hope I've covered it ok.

And, well, David is pretty much excellent in everything he's in, even if some of the stuff he's in isn't that great. But Nothing, Cypher, Where the heart is and Cube are all ones you should see for sure.

Comment

Thanks for that, hope I used the system ok! Don't reckon I'd ever've noticed those wee scales if you hadn't said.

Also thanks for the tip re Cypher, I don't think I've heard of that one. I definitely plan to look out for Nothing, and Cube.

Comment

The rep system is half popularity contest, half joke. Some people get huge reps just because people love them, but sometimes people get huge reps just by being at the right place at the right time. I've seen some very nasty people with multiple green squares... and some very cool people who only have a block or two. The system is massively and completely abused, but it's here to stay. *sigh*

Nothing is worth any price it takes to see it, as is Cypher. Both are excellent movies and David's presence in them makes them even better.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                The rep system is half popularity contest, half joke. Some people get huge reps just because people love them, but sometimes people get huge reps just by being at the right place at the right time. I've seen some very nasty people with multiple green squares... and some very cool people who only have a block or two. The system is massively and completely abused, but it's here to stay. *sigh*

Nothing is worth any price it takes to see it, as is Cypher. Both are excellent movies and David's presence in them makes them even better.

Ah. Now I understand what happens it explains a couple arguements I've read while lurking.

So. Nothing and Cypher. Another recommend for those two huh? I am SO going to have to get those now.

And it's now only 4 days until the Seige part 2 (squeaks slightly with excitement).

Comment

and that's why we love Rodney... obnoxious and cute!

"I just hated away the fact that I give a s***" - Dave from Nothing

My clone: http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...Kay/TaoRM2.jpg
                  Courtesy of the Mckay/Hewlett Thunk Thread

Comment

Possible Spoiler alert**I'm very glad to see that I am most definately not the only one who really likes McKay, I liked him the very first time I saw him on SG-1 season 5 episode 48 hours. I don't think he had enough air time on that episode he should of been on there more, I loved the tension between him and Carter. I hope that there will be more between him and Carter on future shows of Atlantis and SG-1 since how he is guest starring on the season finale of Sg-1. At least David's name show's up as a guest star of the finale this season for SG-1. Can't wait to see what that is all about. And the INternet Movie Data Base has him down for being on the SG-1 finale too, hopefully it is not a misprint. If I'm wrong oh well, maybe it was just wishful thinking.

Comment

I finally got to watch Treed Murray. Talk about an intensive Hewlett fix, thought I'd died and gone to heaven. In addition to the sheer thunkage, though, you get a fantastic story and great performances.

David does a great job playing difficult characters. Murray may be the protagonist, but I'm left questioning whether he is the "hero", and that is something I can LOVE about a movie. The fact that David's expressive face and body language convey ambiguity so well just makes it all even better.

And with that fangirlish assessment, I shall wander off to watch Nothing now. Life is good.

Comment

Are we allowed to mention personal fan fiction stories in this thread, or do I have make an entry in the fan fiction thread and point you over there? Or maybe I should put a link in my signature? I don't want to violate any rules. I really don't know how to tell you guys about it, since I don't think we're supposed to point to other threads, are we? Or is that about making the same entry in multiple threads? My story has spoilers to Letters From Pegasus, so I thought I'd wait until now to mention it. I'll edit this post if it's a no-no. Thanks.

My kind of guy:
                        "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                        Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                        (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                          Are we allowed to mention personal fan fiction stories in this thread, or do I have make an entry in the fan fiction thread and point you over there? Or maybe I should put a link in my signature? I don't want to violate any rules. I really don't know how to tell you guys about it, since I don't think we're supposed to point to other threads, are we? Or is that about making the same entry in multiple threads? My story has spoilers to Letters From Pegasus, so I thought I'd wait until now to mention it. I'll edit this post if it's a no-no. Thanks.
                          No clue about it on a thread but sig seems to accepted - seen enough people doing that to figure it must be.
                          Ooh - that one! I remember reading that over at SGAHC I think..? It's your then...didn't realise (hard to match up people from ff.net with folks here when people have different handles). It's really good and one of very few tags for the episode I've seen around.

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                            As far as I know there is no problem posting a link to a fic about McKay in a thread about McKay.Particularly if all your buddies hang out in that thread and they're the ones you're trying to tell about your literary masterpiece

The only time I can imagine it being frowned upon is if somebody kept posting in a thread over and over (spamming) to promote their fic/s or if it was in a totally unrelated thread. Or if you were entered in some fanfic awards and were trying to get people to vote for you - campaigning is generally a no no.

That said, the Fanfic folder is a great place to alert people to your fic - that's what it is there for. That's where people in the mood to read a fic would look, not here on the thunk thread.

So if I were you and wanted to get people to read my fic, I'd post there (but remember not to put the actual fic in your post...it's long and unwieldy and will not be archived) and link to the post from here, or just put the link in both places.

Does that help?

Edited to add: The other thing that often gets people uptight is ship. So I wouldn't promote a shippy (or slashy) fic in a thread that doesn't focus on that. That's generally why I don't talk about my fics on gateworld.

I think there is actually a sticky thread in the fanfic section that explains a lot of the fic posting rules, so you could check that out if you want it from the horses mouth.
                            Last edited by SaharaGate; 04 March 2005, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassiopeia
                              It is *definitely* worth the money.

Nothing has got to be both the strangest and one of the most enjoyable movies I've seen in a long, long time.

A tip for anybody buying off Amazon though...

I got my DVD's within a week (I'm in Austalia and ordered from Canada) by combining on postage with a friend.

We bought a copy each of Nothing, Treed Murray and another movie (would have bought Cube and Century Hotel too but can get them cheaper from ebay) and opted for the faster postal method (name escapes me). Even though it costs more, if you split the difference it isn't that much and it means you'll be watching David in a week or so rather than waiting 6 weeks.

Definitely worth it!

That is, if you can find somebody to combine postage with. Even if they are just in the same general area as you and you have to post it on to them, it seems to wind up quicker and cheaper.

So buy David in bulk people!

Comment

Originally posted by blueeyes
                                I finally got to watch Treed Murray. Talk about an intensive Hewlett fix, thought I'd died and gone to heaven. In addition to the sheer thunkage, though, you get a fantastic story and great performances.

David does a great job playing difficult characters. Murray may be the protagonist, but I'm left questioning whether he is the "hero", and that is something I can LOVE about a movie. The fact that David's expressive face and body language convey ambiguity so well just makes it all even better.

And with that fangirlish assessment, I shall wander off to watch Nothing now. Life is good.
                                Sigh.

I can't wait to watch Treed Murray!

It's sitting on my bookshelf, taunting me!

But I'm not allowed to watch it apparently. Apparently I have to wait until Jafana can watch it with me (so we can ooooh and ahhhh and squeeeee over David together hehe). And that won't be till next Thursday.

Dang.

But at least I got to watch Cube and Century Hotel and Nothing.

I'm still on a David-induced high

He's so talented!
                                Last edited by SaharaGate; 04 March 2005, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X